ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags astronomy , New Horizons , pluto

Old 5th January 2019, 01:38 PM   #521
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

This morning I found myself standing in front of my house after dawn came up just so I could look in the direction of Ultima Thule in the sky. It is in the general area of Sagittarius. I simply wished to imagine it there in the real sky, even though it is so far away and so dim as to be meaningless to my vision. Further it is so close to the Sun's position right now as to be part of the daytime sky; "looking at it" is doubly absurd. But in my mind I could "feel" it there and superimpose the pictures from New Horizon.

Incredible that we humans built a device to travel four billion miles to peer at what it could see and tell us about it. The skills to build such a device were amazing enough, but more amazing still was our desire as a species to do so. It gives me hope that our curiosity makes us more than just the dangerous, stupid, animals we all too often act as.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 01:59 PM   #522
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Are they actually connected, or just together?

If they are connected, how did they get that way? They must have come in at high enough speed for them to exchange materials in some way to get them to fuse?

If someone went over and gave the smaller lobe a push, would it move away (and then return under the force of gravity)? Or is it all solid?
Why are you assuming it's fused? It might just be accretion of loose material over time.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 08:21 AM   #523
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Why are you assuming it's fused? It might just be accretion of loose material over time.
I didn't assume anything, I asked.
Old 9th January 2019, 06:33 AM   #524
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
First Images of Ultima Thule!

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/news/80...kind-of-world/

Very unique object. Basically there is nothing like it in the inner solar system AFAIK.

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/system/...0190102-pr.png
So that's what gods use for pumping iron.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 06:34 AM   #525
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
This morning I found myself standing in front of my house after dawn came up just so I could look in the direction of Ultima Thule in the sky. It is in the general area of Sagittarius. I simply wished to imagine it there in the real sky, even though it is so far away and so dim as to be meaningless to my vision. Further it is so close to the Sun's position right now as to be part of the daytime sky; "looking at it" is doubly absurd. But in my mind I could "feel" it there and superimpose the pictures from New Horizon.

Incredible that we humans built a device to travel four billion miles to peer at what it could see and tell us about it. The skills to build such a device were amazing enough, but more amazing still was our desire as a species to do so. It gives me hope that our curiosity makes us more than just the dangerous, stupid, animals we all too often act as.
Amen.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 12:52 PM   #526
azzthom
Muse

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post

That's part of our very human nature. We want to gaze at the horizon, then cross the horizon, then explore what we find there. Then find a new horizon and do it again. This is the most appropriately named probe ever.

Last edited by azzthom; 9th January 2019 at 12:54 PM.
azzthom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology