ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags astronomy , New Horizons , pluto

Old 11th July 2015, 09:21 PM   #41
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I wonder if you could make that in useful amounts with a particle accelerator?
Old 11th July 2015, 11:47 PM   #42
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by foophil View Post
Some surface features are starting to come in nicely.
Most unfortunately, according to the BBC
Quote:
The US space agency's New Horizons probe was less than 2.5 million km from the diminutive world on Saturday and closing in fast. Come Tuesday, it will be grabbing shots from an altitude of just 12,500km. But the newly published image, showing Pluto's "spots", is of the hemisphere that will soon rotate out of view. It will not be seen again until after New Horizons has gone behind the 2,300km-wide dwarf, and then only in the faint light reflected off the little planet's biggest moon, Charon.
Is this the result of an alien conspiracy to hide the true nature of the "spots"?
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2015, 12:02 AM   #43
Nihilianth
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Corsair 115 View Post
Between Dawn, Rosetta/Philae, and New Horizons, it's been a veritable feast of fun stuff this year for fans of astronomy.
Not just astronomy. Other space missions have greatly aided observations of our one and only home. There were like 5'earth science missions that went up since last year.

(\ (\
( '_' )
o_(")(")
Nihilianth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2015, 09:19 AM   #44
Rincewind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Most unfortunately, according to the BBC Is this the result of an alien conspiracy to hide the true nature of the "spots"?
Well, obviously!

Rincewind is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2015, 09:28 AM   #45
Monketi Ghost
Confusion Reactor

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
Well, obviously!

Truly.
This way-out-of-the-way little dwarf planet is clearly incredibly important somehow to ET.
Monketi Ghost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2015, 09:41 AM   #46
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Monketi Ghost View Post
Truly.
This way-out-of-the-way little dwarf planet is clearly incredibly important somehow to ET.
A convenient cold-storage depot on the edge of a gravity well? Makes sense to stockpile things were they are relatively easy to get to and leave from.
Dinwar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2015, 11:13 AM   #47
Rincewind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dinwar View Post
A convenient cold-storage depot on the edge of a gravity well? Makes sense to stockpile things were they are relatively easy to get to and leave from.
Well - who built Icehenge?
Rincewind is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2015, 12:23 PM   #48
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
Well - who built Icehenge?

Bender, of course, after he got tired of cavorting with the penguins.
Corsair 115 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2015, 12:33 PM   #49
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Grashtel View Post
A) The RTG is quite sufficient for NH's needs and NASA had it, would you prefer that they just let it burn out on a shelf? RTGs have a limited shelflife, the isotopes don't stop decaying just because they aren't being used.

B) IIRC there are issues with getting the material to build new RTGs due to the shutdown of the reactor in the US that makes them.
NASA recycles a lot of stuff. On one NASA site I work in there are a few areas where they store the non-dangerous stuff (metal components, decommissioned tanks, and the like), and occasionally you'll see folks go in and get stuff they need. No sense letting it go to waste.
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Wow, I was half kidding, but I see it's a serious problem. I'm glad they have a robust recycling program too. Working under a tight budget will do that to you though.
Old 12th July 2015, 01:43 PM   #50
grmcdorman
Graduate Poster

You also have to realize that "refurbished", in this context, isn't even remotely close to "refurbished" in a consumer context. Most consumers equate "refurbished" with "dodgy, used, formerly broken equipment fixed up to make a quick buck from the marks". In this context, the RTG could not have been "used" as it's pretty hard to get a used RTG from, say, the now defunct Galileo probe. It's more like "surplus"; the RTG was a spare, or for a cancelled project, and must be refreshed and polished as required for the new use.
Old 12th July 2015, 02:17 PM   #51
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by grmcdorman View Post
You also have to realize that "refurbished", in this context, isn't even remotely close to "refurbished" in a consumer context. Most consumers equate "refurbished" with "dodgy, used, formerly broken equipment fixed up to make a quick buck from the marks". In this context, the RTG could not have been "used" as it's pretty hard to get a used RTG from, say, the now defunct Galileo probe. It's more like "surplus"; the RTG was a spare, or for a cancelled project, and must be refreshed and polished as required for the new use.
Yes, can't have it going out across the universe, representing humanity, all dingy now, can we.
Old 12th July 2015, 06:34 PM   #52
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

Charon's Chasms and Craters
One Million Miles to Go; Pluto is More Intriguing than Ever
Corsair 115 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2015, 06:44 PM   #53
foophil
Graduate Poster

Is this the result of an alien conspiracy to hide the true nature of the "spots"?
I'd tell you, but then we'd have to kill you.
foophil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2015, 06:49 PM   #54
foophil
Graduate Poster

From that link:

Quote:
The brightness of the rays of material blasted out of the crater suggest it formed relatively recently in geologic terms, during a collision with a small body some time in the last billion million years.

Um... that is not exactly recent even in geologic terms.
foophil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2015, 06:57 PM   #55
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Most unfortunately, according to the BBC Is this the result of an alien conspiracy to hide the true nature of the "spots"?
Its vril!!!! Giant lakes of vril!!!
Old 12th July 2015, 07:03 PM   #56
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

This is so freaking cool! I remember the excitement I felt at seeing the first close-up images from the Voyager images. This is giving me that same feeling again.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2015, 07:24 PM   #57
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by foophil View Post
Um... that is not exactly recent even in geologic terms.

I'm guessing the author got their numerals mixed up...
Old 12th July 2015, 07:36 PM   #58
Cylinder
Philosopher

I'm guessing the author got their numerals mixed up...
...or pushed back the age of the universe by 5 orders of magnitude.
If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed ; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than live as slaves. - Winston Churchill, The Gathering Storm
Cylinder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 06:35 AM   #59
Belz...
Fiend God

It'll be just a flyby ? That's dissapointing.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 06:44 AM   #60
Monketi Ghost
Confusion Reactor

Bender, of course, after he got tired of cavorting with the penguins.
It was fun on a bun and I was blasted while it lasted.
Monketi Ghost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 06:48 AM   #61
Monketi Ghost
Confusion Reactor

I must admit, the Pluto system is turning out to be more interesting than I'd expected.
I mean, I'm still expecting a geologically dead world with impact craters and varying albedos that will need analyses to explain them, but Pluto isn't as featureless as I'd figured it would be.
Old 13th July 2015, 06:52 AM   #62
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Truly.
Of course it's important. It's Yuggoth.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 06:52 AM   #63
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

How far away is Pluto? Pretty frickin' far.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 07:08 AM   #64
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
It'll be just a flyby ? That's dissapointing.
It was either that, or wait until we're all long, long dead to go into orbit around the Pluto barycenter.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 07:32 AM   #65
Denver
Penultimate Amazing

Even at the current distance, the pictures are freaky cool even without Deep Dreaming them.

Tomorrow...

Last edited by Denver; 13th July 2015 at 07:34 AM.
Denver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 07:37 AM   #66
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
It was either that, or wait until we're all long, long dead to go into orbit around the Pluto barycenter.
It's also probably more useful. A flyby gives us the chance to explore the Ort Cloud more than an orbit would.

Still, I agree that I'm a bit sad that we won't be spending much time in the area.
Dinwar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 08:00 AM   #67
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

It's also probably more useful. A flyby gives us the chance to explore the Ort Cloud more than an orbit would.

Still, I agree that I'm a bit sad that we won't be spending much time in the area.
Oh, me too. But it's like seeing boobies when you're a kid: better a quick glimpse on late-night cable than nothing at all.
Old 13th July 2015, 08:13 AM   #68
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
How far away is Pluto? Pretty frickin' far.
That was cool. Thanks for sharing.

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 08:14 AM   #69
wobs
Graduate Poster

Very Excited.
I remember the Voyager probes, when they were visiting the gas giants etc. and even did an essay on them. They were a real technical acheivement for their time. But it was always a bit sad that they couldn't visit Pluto.

Then in recent years, when we were getting ready for our first born, we got a rug to go in her bedroom with all the planets on. It included Pluto, even though it had been desgnated a dwarf planet by then (B&Q don't really follow astronomy clearly).

Now she's 4, we play a game which is sort of combination of the Adventure Game's Vortex (Brits of a certain age will remember this), and Mornington Cresecent. Bascially we jump on each planet and try to catch each other out.

But the great thing is that she's pointing at them and saying "planet!". She probably doesn't quite get what that means, but its progress.

All this just before we finally see Pluto up close, I can't help but feel a bit of irony, and yet delight.
Old 13th July 2015, 08:30 AM   #70
Monketi Ghost
Confusion Reactor

All that planet/dwarf planet stuff is so weird. It drew in people who felt passionately about it, and I noticed that some never seemed to give a crap about astronomy until Pluto's status became an issue.
Even from my youngest days of interest, I could tell it was going to be debated hotly. I can recall that by the time I was ten, 1980, I'd decided it didn't have enough in common with the rest to be called a planet.
Old 13th July 2015, 08:50 AM   #71
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, me too. But it's like seeing boobies when you're a kid: better a quick glimpse on late-night cable than nothing at all.
My dad introduced us to Monty Python early on. But yeah, better a drive-by than not going there at all.
Old 13th July 2015, 09:38 AM   #72
Notrump
Muse

Wink

Iíve created a Pluto finder chart and ephemeris that can be viewed at www.CurtRenz.com/asteroids.html
Old 13th July 2015, 11:17 AM   #73
Belz...
Fiend God

Why long dead ? No way to slow down the probe on the way ?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 11:22 AM   #74
Belz...
Fiend God

All that planet/dwarf planet stuff is so weird. It drew in people who felt passionately about it, and I noticed that some never seemed to give a crap about astronomy until Pluto's status became an issue.
Even from my youngest days of interest, I could tell it was going to be debated hotly. I can recall that by the time I was ten, 1980, I'd decided it didn't have enough in common with the rest to be called a planet.
And all that because they didn't want a solar system with 17 planets or something. Pussies.

Old 13th July 2015, 11:39 AM   #75
CynicalSkeptic
Master Poster

It would need an awful lot of fuel to slow down. And of course if you need all that fuel to slow down, you need more even more fuel to carry that fuel around.
CynicalSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 11:42 AM   #76
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

No practical way, no. First, you'd have to carry along the fuel to do that. That means accelerating the probe plus a rocket plus fuel to get there in the first place. Then halfway along you have to start slowing down. It would at least double the overall mission time.
Old 13th July 2015, 11:48 AM   #77
Belz...
Fiend God

I didn't mean using the probe itself to slow down but perhaps a planet(oid) on the way, etc.

Anyway, the probe will come pretty damn close to Pluto, so we should get decent pictures.

Old 13th July 2015, 11:59 AM   #78
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
That was cool. Thanks for sharing.
YW. It took me two tries to make it all the way to Pluto- the first time, I stopped somewhere between Jupiter and Saturn. And the legend at the end said a lot, too- "Might as well stop now. We'll need to scroll through 6,771 more maps like this before we see anything else." Pfft- we went a mere 39.5AU...

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 12:00 PM   #79
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

I didn't mean using the probe itself to slow down but perhaps a planet(oid) on the way, etc.

The problem is Pluto's gravity is too weak to help much.
Old 13th July 2015, 12:08 PM   #80
Cylinder
Philosopher

So the command to execute the fly-by sequence has been uploaded and New Horizons will not communicate with the DSN again until the sequence is complete -- around 2050 EDT Tuesday (8:50 PM Tuesday) or 0050 Wednesday UTC (1250 AM) -- by which time the probe should have suspended collection operations, pointed it's antenna back toward Earth and transmitted a diagnostic sequence. This signal should be received by NASA's 70m DSN facility at Robledo de Chavela, near Madrid, Spain.

ETA: The times cited are receive times.

Crossed fingers and tightened buttocks.
If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed ; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than live as slaves. - Winston Churchill, The Gathering Storm
Cylinder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology