ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags astronomy , New Horizons , pluto

Old 13th July 2015, 12:31 PM   #81
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Originally Posted by Rum View Post
The miles involved are in the billions - 3 or 4? It is amazing what clever peeps can do these days!
Believe it or not, we're still in contact with both Voyagers. 11 or 12 billion miles away, roughly.

http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/where/index.html
Old 13th July 2015, 12:43 PM   #82
foophil
Graduate Poster

Pluto is bigger than it was first thought. Slightly. So screw you Eris!

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-33513905
foophil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 12:48 PM   #83
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

Events like this make me wonder what would happen if we detected a similar, foreign object coming close to our solar system, something that didn't look like a rock or comet. I wonder if we could capture it without damage? What a revelation that would provide if it looked "designed" in the same way that our spacecraft would undoubtedly look to another lifeform.
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 12:51 PM   #84
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
Believe it or not
I believe it, and am aware of it. Tough little probes.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 01:07 PM   #85
Mark6
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
It was either that, or wait until we're all long, long dead to go into orbit around the Pluto barycenter.
Maybe not.

Here is an ESA proposal which could put an orbiter around Pluto with total trip time of "only" 15 years. But it requires an ion engine and nuclear (RTG) power source.

http://www.esa.int/gsp/ACT/doc/PRO/A...2004-Pluto.pdf
Old 13th July 2015, 01:20 PM   #86
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
I wonder if you could make that in useful amounts with a particle accelerator?
Not useful amounts no.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 01:22 PM   #87
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Originally Posted by CynicalSkeptic View Post
It would need an awful lot of fuel to slow down. And of course if you need all that fuel to slow down, you need more even more fuel to carry that fuel around.
How much longer would the trip have been if they'd tried for an orbit. (Crazy patterns* allowed, but at least one realistic scenario, please.)

*Swing by, loop waaaay out, get pulled back, swing by loop waaay in, oscillate until orbit is stable?
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 01:23 PM   #88
Gawdzilla Sama

Believe it or not, we're still in contact with both Voyagers. 11 or 12 billion miles away, roughly.

V'ger will be back!
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 01:37 PM   #89
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Originally Posted by Sherman Bay View Post
Events like this make me wonder what would happen if we detected a similar, foreign object coming close to our solar system, something that didn't look like a rock or comet. I wonder if we could capture it without damage? What a revelation that would provide if it looked "designed" in the same way that our spacecraft would undoubtedly look to another lifeform.
I've wondered this myself... what would we do if we spotted something coming in, maybe a kilometer across, and spectroscopically determined that it was metallic. Not many natural metallic objects way out there... we'd have to consider the possibility that it was artificial. Biggest news of the millennium, right there.
Old 13th July 2015, 02:03 PM   #90
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
YW. It took me two tries to make it all the way to Pluto- the first time, I stopped somewhere between Jupiter and Saturn. And the legend at the end said a lot, too- "Might as well stop now. We'll need to scroll through 6,771 more maps like this before we see anything else." Pfft- we went a mere 39.5AU...
Really puts V'ger's cloud into perspective.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 02:11 PM   #91
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

I've wondered this myself... what would we do if we spotted something coming in, maybe a kilometer across, and spectroscopically determined that it was metallic. Not many natural metallic objects way out there... we'd have to consider the possibility that it was artificial. Biggest news of the millennium, right there.
What if it's pure neutronium?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg planet_killer.jpg (35.1 KB, 12 views)
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 02:23 PM   #92
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

A simple chemical analysis would suffice (well, for a given value of "simple"). We know, roughly, what to expect from rocks, even metals-heavy ones like some asteroids. Generally, we can expect a lack of purity--natural systems don't refine certain ores. If we see that the thing is fairly pure gold, iron, aluminum, or the like, it's a good indication that we should look for other clues. And we could use the light bouncing off it to make that determination. It wouldn't be proof, but it'd be a good indication.
Dinwar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 02:51 PM   #93
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Dinwar View Post
A simple chemical analysis would suffice (well, for a given value of "simple"). We know, roughly, what to expect from rocks, even metals-heavy ones like some asteroids. Generally, we can expect a lack of purity--natural systems don't refine certain ores. If we see that the thing is fairly pure gold, iron, aluminum, or the like, it's a good indication that we should look for other clues. And we could use the light bouncing off it to make that determination. It wouldn't be proof, but it'd be a good indication.
One of my favorites is J002E3. Thought to be an asteroid at first, spectral analysis indicated titanium oxide, the white paint used on the Saturn V rockets. It turned out to be the S-IVB from Apollo 12.
Old 13th July 2015, 03:11 PM   #94
CynicalSkeptic
Master Poster

One of my favorites is J002E3. Thought to be an asteroid at first, spectral analysis indicated titanium oxide, the white paint used on the Saturn V rockets. It turned out to be the S-IVB from Apollo 12.
Nice:

J002E3WP

eta: Cool animated gif:

L1 is a Lagrange point?

Last edited by CynicalSkeptic; 13th July 2015 at 03:22 PM.
CynicalSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 03:14 PM   #95
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Does anyone have a link to a countdown? Aologies if there's already one posted.

ETA : Just saw the other thread.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150

Last edited by CapelDodger; 13th July 2015 at 03:18 PM.
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 03:15 PM   #96
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

It turned out to be the S-IVB from Apollo 12.
That'd cause a stir on the collector's market. Worth a short story ...

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 03:20 PM   #97
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

13½ hours to closest approach.... MARK!
Corsair 115 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 03:25 PM   #98
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

YW. It took me two tries to make it all the way to Pluto- the first time, I stopped somewhere between Jupiter and Saturn. And the legend at the end said a lot, too- "Might as well stop now. We'll need to scroll through 6,771 more maps like this before we see anything else." Pfft- we went a mere 39.5AU...
There wouldn't be a chance in hell I would get through that if not for the auto-scroll.

As soon as I saw the size of the sun in the first frame, I knew it was a long journey......

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 04:59 PM   #99
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
There wouldn't be a chance in hell I would get through that if not for the auto-scroll.

As soon as I saw the size of the sun in the first frame, I knew it was a long journey......
(Gulp) Auto-scroll? (j/k, I saw it the second time, or I still would never have made it all the way through)

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 05:06 PM   #100
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

(Gulp) Auto-scroll? (j/k, I saw it the second time, or I still would never have made it all the way through)
The stops along the way were what made the journey so memorable. Well worth the trip............

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 05:22 PM   #101
Cylinder
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Does anyone have a link to a countdown? Aologies if there's already one posted.

NASA TV, though you may get better throughput via their UStream channel.
If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed ; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than live as slaves. - Winston Churchill, The Gathering Storm
Cylinder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 11:02 PM   #102
davefoc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
I did a little engineering support for the refurbished RTG which is powering P-NH to the ninth planet* and beyond. Wow, time flies when you're a small spacecraft starting out on a big honkin' rocket. It's great to finally see the awesome science and beautiful images. Exciting stuff.

* Yes, I said planet. Old school!
Do RTG's put out the same amount of energy continuously or can they be throttled back so that the RTG is only getting used up when energy is required?

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 11:10 PM   #103
davefoc
Philosopher

I stumbled on this site today:
http://eyes.nasa.gov/dsn/dsn.html

When I found it the first time one of the antennae was communicating with Voyager.

When I took a look at it before I made this post the 70 meter antenna in Spain was communicating with Rosetta.

Totally cool !. I just checked back before I pushed Submit button and the 70 meter Goldstone antenna is communicating with New Horizons.

Picture of the Goldstone antenna when my wife and I visited a few years ago.
https://photos.google.com/u/0/album/...uNeM2Uhr0IaWra

The area of the antenna is about an acre.

ETA: Perhaps more accurately, the Goldstone antenna is sending messages to New Horizons. It doesn't seem to be receiving anything right now.

Last edited by davefoc; 13th July 2015 at 11:14 PM.
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 12:57 AM   #104
BowlOfRed
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
Do RTG's put out the same amount of energy continuously or can they be throttled back so that the RTG is only getting used up when energy is required?
The radioactive decay rate can't be manipulated. The plutonium is giving off energy all the time, depending on its age. Regardless of how you use it, after so many years the power output will drop below some minimum threshold.

You could use batteries to hold some energy and use it at higher power levels intermittently, but rechargeable batteries tend to have low energy density, so they're often not that useful.
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 12:59 AM   #105
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gawdzilla Sama View Post
How much longer would the trip have been if they'd tried for an orbit. (Crazy patterns* allowed, but at least one realistic scenario, please.)

*Swing by, loop waaaay out, get pulled back, swing by loop waaay in, oscillate until orbit is stable?
How would it become stable (by which is presumably meant circular) in anything short of cosmic periods of time? Tidal forces? Braking by Pluto's atmosphere?
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 03:08 AM   #106
davefoc
Philosopher

This is sort of interesting. I took a look at the site I linked to above which shows what satellites the Deep Space Network antennae are communicating with and right not it shows two antennae at Goldstone and two antennae in Australia sending data to the New Horizons space craft. There are many possibilities of what is going on, perhaps at the top of the list should be that I don't understand what I'm looking at and there is a mistake in the information displayed.

Perhaps there is more than one receiver on the New Horizons spacecraft? Rhere is a lot of redundancy. I looked around a bit and according to one source it sounds like the receiver can distinguish between left and right circular polarization signals and there are two receivers for redundancy. So does that explain why there might be four signals at once being sent to the new Horizons spacecraft. I'm not sure.

I'm surprised that transmitting from the much smaller antennae is worthwhile given how much larger the gain of the larger antennae is. If they can send data to the spacecraft with the much smaller antennae it suggests that they will be able to communicate with the spacecraft much farther away than it is now. And I suppose that's true because they can communicate with voyager and it is several times farther away than New Horizons is right now.

Last edited by davefoc; 14th July 2015 at 03:09 AM.
Old 14th July 2015, 04:51 AM   #107
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Gawdzilla Sama View Post

Possibly. Basically you'd have to carry sufficient "fuel" to brake from constant velocity, so either a slower coast or a far bigger probe. I'm unable to crunch the numbers atm but back-of-the-envelope suggests many times larger.

That's tending towards an OCP, I expect it'd shake money loose and not just for NASA.

What if it's pure neutronium?
A 1km3 sphere of neutron degenerate matter would mass ~2.1E26kg, more than thirty five times as much as the Earth or about one-ninth as much as Jupiter; it's gravitational pull would be noticed quickly.

Nice:

J002E3WP

eta: Cool animated gif:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...2e3f_orbit.gif

L1 is a Lagrange point?
Yep L1 is the Lagrange point between the primary and secondary masses, i.e. between the Earth and Luna in this case.

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
That'd cause a stir on the collector's market. Worth a short story ...
Hopefully it'll become part of a space station at some point.

Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
RTGs rely on radioactive decay, so technically the heat produced is always slowly decreasing. There's no way to alter this bar manipulating the nuclear force in some manner we cannot currently achieve.

And finally, I'm surprised no-one has mentioned New Horizons's passenger; Clyde Tombaugh.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 05:13 AM   #108
foophil
Graduate Poster

One last good close-up of Pluto for you before the black out period kicked in:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-33524589

Now we wait until tomorrow for the signal to resume.
foophil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 05:14 AM   #109
Belz...
Fiend God

[quote=catsmate;10764083]That's tending towards an OCP, I expect it'd shake money loose and not just for NASA. [\QUOTE]

OCP ? Omni-Consumer Products ?

Quote:
And finally, I'm surprised no-one has mentioned New Horizons's passenger; Clyde Tombaugh.
I'll never understand the human obsession with dead remains.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 05:21 AM   #110
sphenisc
Illuminator

Pluto looks remarkably round...any measure of oblateness?
Old 14th July 2015, 05:39 AM   #111
Monketi Ghost
Confusion Reactor

I can't believe neutronium was brought up, LOL
Monketi Ghost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 05:47 AM   #112
Gawdzilla Sama

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
How would it become stable (by which is presumably meant circular) in anything short of cosmic periods of time? Tidal forces? Braking by Pluto's atmosphere?
I was suggesting that it would be captured by Pluto's gravity. It would have to slow considerably for that to happen, and that would have meant a longer trip with a "turn-over" somewhere near half way. Just curious as to how much time that would add to the trip.
Old 14th July 2015, 05:58 AM   #113
wea
Critical Thinker

L1 is a Lagrange point?
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Yep L1 is the Lagrange point between the primary and secondary masses, i.e. between the Earth and Luna in this case.
is it? in the animation it seems 3-4 times farther from earth than the moon, I'd rather say L1 for sun-earth
wea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 06:12 AM   #114
catsmate
No longer the 1

[quote=Belz...;10764113]
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
That's tending towards an OCP, I expect it'd shake money loose and not just for NASA.

OCP ? Omni-Consumer Products ?
Outside Context Problem

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I'll never understand the human obsession with dead remains.
It's a gesture. One of those strange human things.
Old 14th July 2015, 06:13 AM   #115
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by wea View Post
is it? in the animation it seems 3-4 times farther from earth than the moon, I'd rather say L1 for sun-earth
D'oh, my bad.
Old 14th July 2015, 06:24 AM   #116
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

I believe it is now transmitting data back to earth. Will take awhile to get here though.
Old 14th July 2015, 06:31 AM   #117
One Skunk Todd
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I believe it is now transmitting data back to earth. Will take awhile to get here though.
Not at the moment.

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/Mission/The-Flyby.php
One Skunk Todd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 06:35 AM   #118
Gawdzilla Sama

Originally Posted by One Skunk Todd View Post
But it was four hours ago.
Old 14th July 2015, 06:37 AM   #119
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by One Skunk Todd View Post
To expand on this a bit, the probe is too busy taking observations right now to communicate with Earth. After it finishes the flyby, it will begin data transmission. Because of the low data transfer rate, it will take about a year (IIRC) to download all the data from the flyby.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 06:40 AM   #120
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Via Boingboing:

Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology