ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags astronomy , New Horizons , pluto

Old 14th July 2015, 12:24 PM   #161
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
The windowless towers of Yuggoth are mostly subterranean.
Not completely, though, or else Lovecraft wouldn't have anything to describe as being too horrible to describe. Just look for the rivers of pitch flowing under mysterious cyclopean bridges, or the yawning pit in which dwells the fearsome Cxaxukluth. Assuming he's not out on a beer run, it's safe to poke around the area until you find some Mi-go.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 12:32 PM   #162
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

NASA's Three-Billion-Mile Journey to Pluto Reaches Historic Encounter
Pluto and Charon Shine in False Color
Corsair 115 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 12:37 PM   #163
Lennart Hyland
Muse

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Wow fascinating stuff!

Unfortunately the 911truth movement web site does not allow any opinions contrary to their own, or I would have presented my views. David Scott - CTBUH Chairman
Lennart Hyland is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 01:42 PM   #164
Cylinder
Philosopher

Assuming all is well, New Horizons will have signaled it has crossed through the Pluto system at 1627 PM EDT (~10 minutes ago). The signal is expected to reach Earth around 2053 EDT.

NH will continue to image Pluto and Charon at 2 km resolution and then begin the flyby sequence for Hydra and Nix.
If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed ; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than live as slaves. - Winston Churchill, The Gathering Storm

Last edited by Cylinder; 14th July 2015 at 01:45 PM.
Cylinder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 02:36 PM   #165
davefoc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gawdzilla Sama View Post
I was suggesting that it would be captured by Pluto's gravity. It would have to slow considerably for that to happen, and that would have meant a longer trip with a "turn-over" somewhere near half way. Just curious as to how much time that would add to the trip.
As others have noted carrying the rocket and the fuel to slow the space craft would have required a much larger space craft.

However, I don't think batman would use a rocket to slow the space craft. He would blast a self digging anchor into Pluto attached to a carbon fiber rope to cause the space craft to curve into an orbit around the planet. It's amazing that NASA didn't use this approach. If they had we could be getting pictures beamed back from Pluto for years to come.

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 02:58 PM   #166
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Monketi Ghost View Post
I can't believe neutronium was brought up, LOL

You're 40% neutronium, aren't you Bender?
Corsair 115 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 04:20 PM   #167
Cylinder
Philosopher

For those interested, the NASA TV Update program will be starting in the coming minutes:

New Horizons Phones Home - Mission Update
7:30 PM - 8:30 PM EDT CDT

ETA: The start time is actually 8:30PM EDT... my channel listing was misleading.
If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed ; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than live as slaves. - Winston Churchill, The Gathering Storm

Last edited by Cylinder; 14th July 2015 at 04:35 PM.
Cylinder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 04:23 PM   #168
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by Cylinder View Post
For those interested, the NASA TV Update program will be starting in the coming minutes:

New Horizons Phones Home - Mission Update
7:30 PM - 8:30 PM EDT
Gracias!
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 04:55 PM   #169
CelticRose
Graduate Poster

While we're waiting, here's an awesome parody about the New Horizons mission from A Capella Science:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Be yourself no matter what they say. - Sting

My needlework blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com/
CelticRose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 05:33 PM   #170
One Skunk Todd
Critical Thinker

Broadcast has started.
One Skunk Todd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 05:43 PM   #171
Denver
Penultimate Amazing

They mentioned:

1) It will take more than a year to get all the data downloaded to earth.
2) The phone-home should happen at 18:53 EST. So 10 minutes from now!
Old 14th July 2015, 05:55 PM   #172
sts60
Illuminator

Woohoo!
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 05:56 PM   #173
Denver
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
Woohoo!
Everything sounds excellent!
Old 14th July 2015, 05:58 PM   #174
Cylinder
Philosopher

Great. Expected amount of data on board and no errors.
Old 14th July 2015, 06:01 PM   #175
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Yes!
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 06:02 PM   #176
One Skunk Todd
Critical Thinker

Spacecraft is healthy all systems nominal, expected amount of data collected.
One Skunk Todd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 06:07 PM   #177
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Next update at 21:30.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 06:26 PM   #178
Cylinder
Philosopher

I was kind of hoping they would sneak an image down for the presser tonight. but the PR guy (at least) states the first batch of images will be tomorrow's press update.
Old 14th July 2015, 06:34 PM   #179
sts60
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Wow, I was half kidding, but I see it's a serious problem. I'm glad they have a robust recycling program too. Working under a tight budget will do that to you though.
The generator on PNH started life as F-5, a flight spare for Cassini. It was dismantled, refurbished, loaded with a new fuel mix in enhanced heat sources, and was rechristened as F-8 for this mission.

I was just looking at a 2004 briefing by Allen Stern talking about Pluto closest approach at 1220 (GMT) on July 14, 2015... today. The spacecraft's actual closest approach was at 1249, so the mission planners were within half an hour of this prediction, eleven years later.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 07:06 PM   #180
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
The generator on PNH started life as F-5, a flight spare for Cassini. It was dismantled, refurbished, loaded with a new fuel mix in enhanced heat sources, and was rechristened as F-8 for this mission.

I was just looking at a 2004 briefing by Allen Stern talking about Pluto closest approach at 1220 (GMT) on July 14, 2015... today. The spacecraft's actual closest approach was at 1249, so the mission planners were within half an hour of this prediction, eleven years later.
Yeah. Think about it: if the sun was 12" in diameter, the Earth would be a dot .11" in diameter 107 feet away, and Pluto would be a speck .02" in diameter 4240 feet away. That's 8/10 of a mile away.
Old 14th July 2015, 07:31 PM   #181
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

CQ... CQ... More to follow.
Old 14th July 2015, 07:49 PM   #182
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Cylinder View Post
I was kind of hoping they would sneak an image down for the presser tonight. but the PR guy (at least) states the first batch of images will be tomorrow's press update.
http://spaceweathergallery.com/indiv...g2qqm8oe9ajd45

Not the latest but beautiful just the same.
Old 14th July 2015, 07:59 PM   #183
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Alice Bowman: APL’s First Female MOM
Quote:
As New Horizons Mission Operations Manager (MOM) and group supervisor of the Space Department’s Space Mission Operations Group, Alice Bowman’s most interesting days at work are the ones where the unexpected happens....
Old 14th July 2015, 09:49 PM   #184
macdoc
Philosopher

Brilliant image

Quote:
It is no longer a heart. It's what it was meant to be all along...
http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/201...36894584-2.gif
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 11:41 PM   #185
BazBear
Possible Suspect

Location: Slightly Over The Hill, Not Too Far Around The Bend
http://xkcd.com/1551/
BazBear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2015, 01:17 AM   #186
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
This is sort of interesting. I took a look at the site I linked to above which shows what satellites the Deep Space Network antennae are communicating with and right not it shows two antennae at Goldstone and two antennae in Australia sending data to the New Horizons space craft. There are many possibilities of what is going on, perhaps at the top of the list should be that I don't understand what I'm looking at and there is a mistake in the information displayed.

Perhaps there is more than one receiver on the New Horizons spacecraft? Rhere is a lot of redundancy. I looked around a bit and according to one source it sounds like the receiver can distinguish between left and right circular polarization signals and there are two receivers for redundancy. So does that explain why there might be four signals at once being sent to the new Horizons spacecraft. I'm not sure.

I'm surprised that transmitting from the much smaller antennae is worthwhile given how much larger the gain of the larger antennae is. If they can send data to the spacecraft with the much smaller antennae it suggests that they will be able to communicate with the spacecraft much farther away than it is now. And I suppose that's true because they can communicate with voyager and it is several times farther away than New Horizons is right now.
You need at least two places on earth to receive and send signals because some of the time the spacecraft is below the horizon in the same way that the sun is sometimes below the horizon.

Edit. Receive and send signals.

Last edited by rjh01; 15th July 2015 at 01:35 AM.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2015, 01:31 AM   #187
davefoc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
You need at least two places on earth to receive signals because some of the time the spacecraft is below the horizon in the same way that the sun is sometimes below the horizon.
The Deep Space Network has three locations about 120 degrees apart in longitude to solve this problem.

What I observed was two antennae in Goldstone and two antennae in Australia transmitting to the New Horizons craft at the same time. I wondered why this would be so. I can imagine quite a few possible reasons for this but I don't know enough to eliminate any of them or even to know if one of the reasons I considered is the actual reason why they might be sending data to the New Horizons craft from multiple sources simultaneously.

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2015, 07:06 AM   #188
One Skunk Todd
Critical Thinker

Looks like stuff coming into Canberra now.
Old 15th July 2015, 07:15 AM   #189
Monketi Ghost
Confusion Reactor

I never thought this world would be interesting.
Neat!
Monketi Ghost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2015, 12:04 PM   #190
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

Press conference now live on NASA TV.
Old 15th July 2015, 12:14 PM   #191
sts60
Illuminator

Charon is really interesting.
Old 15th July 2015, 03:20 PM   #192
steve s
Philosopher

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cps...6_84298655.jpg

11,000 foot peaks, and 150 miles without any impact craters. I can't wait for more photos to come in.

Steve S
Old 15th July 2015, 03:38 PM   #193
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Again via boingboing (via laughingsquid, via imgur):
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2015, 04:15 PM   #194
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

From Mountains to Moons: Multiple Discoveries from NASA's New Horizons Pluto Mission.
Charon’s Surprising Youthful and Varied Terrain.

ETA: Next press conference is on Friday.

Last edited by Corsair 115; 15th July 2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old 15th July 2015, 04:28 PM   #195
sphenisc
Illuminator

I'm wondering if Pluto's inclination might account for at least some of its scarcity of craters.
Old 15th July 2015, 04:35 PM   #196
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
I'm wondering if Pluto's inclination might account for at least some of its scarcity of craters.
My first thought was a young surface, but it might be more likely that it's so far out there that there aren't many impactors.
Old 15th July 2015, 04:52 PM   #197
grmcdorman
Graduate Poster

The craters on Charon would tend to argue otherwise. See Phil Plait's post on the most recent images.
Old 15th July 2015, 07:42 PM   #198
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

Just wild speculation, but could the system have originally been one body, which was hit by something? That's how our moon was likely formed. If that happened, say, 100 ma, it would account for the youthful surface. The re-solidification could also account for some of the weird features, like the hummocky features on the right-hand side of the high-res Pluto image and the hills (water volcanoes?).

Someone with some tracing paper, a sharp pencil, and some spare time could do some seriously cool science with this, looking for stress ellipses.
Dinwar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2015, 09:06 PM   #199
CelticRose
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dinwar View Post
Just wild speculation, but could the system have originally been one body, which was hit by something? That's how our moon was likely formed. If that happened, say, 100 ma, it would account for the youthful surface. The re-solidification could also account for some of the weird features, like the hummocky features on the right-hand side of the high-res Pluto image and the hills (water volcanoes?).

Someone with some tracing paper, a sharp pencil, and some spare time could do some seriously cool science with this, looking for stress ellipses.
They just said on the Nova special Chasing Pluto that Pluto may have collided with another Pluto-sized object. Pluto survived, and the other object broke up and formed the moons.

That special was fascinating. Amazingly, they even managed to get images from today into the end of the program.

Be yourself no matter what they say. - Sting

My needlework blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com/
CelticRose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2015, 09:27 PM   #200
Southwind17
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CelticRose View Post
They just said on the Nova special Chasing Pluto that Pluto may have collided with another Pluto-sized object. Pluto survived, and the other object broke up and formed the moons.
I'd like to see a model/animation that shows moons, the likes of Charon, emanating from a collision. Anybody?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology