ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags astronomy , New Horizons , pluto

Old 20th July 2015, 08:35 AM   #321
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

My guess is we'll go back to Pluto in the same way New Horizons did--as a fly-by without plans to stick around. Let's face it, it's a relatively minor celestial body; something worth noting when you're in the area, but not worth making the trip specifically for.
Dinwar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2015, 08:44 AM   #322
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Dinwar View Post
My guess is we'll go back to Pluto in the same way New Horizons did--as a fly-by without plans to stick around. Let's face it, it's a relatively minor celestial body; something worth noting when you're in the area, but not worth making the trip specifically for.
I believe you've missed the key aspect of the mission: that is, to explore the Kuiper Belt Objects. The surprising findings will surely lead to more interest in the outer solar system.
Old 20th July 2015, 08:47 AM   #323
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

If we head out that far again, I'd rather we visit some place new. I'm particularly curious about Haumea.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2015, 09:16 AM   #324
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
If we head out that far again, I'd rather we visit some place new. I'm particularly curious about Haumea.
Meh. The real challenge is Sedna.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2015, 09:23 AM   #325
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I believe you've missed the key aspect of the mission: that is, to explore the Kuiper Belt Objects. The surprising findings will surely lead to more interest in the outer solar system.
Trouble is, the Kuiper Belt is a really big place. My thought is that if/when we visit Pluto again, it'll be as a series of fly-bys to examine such objects.
Dinwar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2015, 09:27 AM   #326
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Me too, Haumea...I am tired of balls.
Old 20th July 2015, 04:17 PM   #327
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

My opinion is that there will be a "third space age" when we can finally pair up advanced electric engines with nuclear reactors and get reaction mass from the moon and go pretty much anywhere in the Solar System within a few months.

That is when we will orbit Pluto.
Old 20th July 2015, 04:22 PM   #328
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
My opinion is that there will be a "third space age" when we can finally pair up advanced electric engines with nuclear reactors and get reaction mass from the moon and go pretty much anywhere in the Solar System within a few months.

That is when we will orbit Pluto.
The fourth age will have Bergenholm inertialess drives.

You read it here first.
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2015, 04:24 PM   #329
Denver
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gawdzilla Sama View Post
The fourth age will have Bergenholm inertialess drives.
The fifth age, after the Bergenholm age, will begin once the 4th age runs out of adjectives.
Old 20th July 2015, 04:31 PM   #330
Gawdzilla Sama

Originally Posted by Denver View Post
The fifth age, after the Bergenholm age, will begin once the 4th age runs out of adjectives.
Terse Age.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2015, 04:48 PM   #331
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Pluto is SO 2015! We need to go someplace we haven't properly been. Neptune/Triton get my vote. Orbiter of course.
Old 20th July 2015, 07:46 PM   #332
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Pluto is SO 2015! We need to go someplace we haven't properly been. Neptune/Triton get my vote. Orbiter of course.
I say, pick the places most likely to have life and send probes back to them. See if we can nail down if any actually have life or not.
Old 20th July 2015, 08:47 PM   #333
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I say, pick the places most likely to have life and send probes back to them. See if we can nail down if any actually have life or not.
Sure. Europa would be my bet. Got a whole sack of technological challenges but that didn't stop us before.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2015, 01:13 AM   #334
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Sure. Europa would be my bet. Got a whole sack of technological challenges but that didn't stop us before.
It's the challenges that make it interesting...
Tolls is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2015, 02:09 AM   #335
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

i suppose we'd really want to land there with some device trundling about like the ones on Mars, taking samples to see if any traces of life have percolated up to the surface through cracks in the ice. Is that within the scope of current technology?

I take it that creatures living in igloos on the surface and "fishing" through holes in the ice are unlikely to be found.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2015, 05:28 AM   #336
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
i suppose we'd really want to land there with some device trundling about like the ones on Mars, taking samples to see if any traces of life have percolated up to the surface through cracks in the ice. Is that within the scope of current technology?

I take it that creatures living in igloos on the surface and "fishing" through holes in the ice are unlikely to be found.
I think the first Europa mission will be a Lander or rover to examine the chemistry of the surface. If we found signs, or even hints, of biology, then Europa would pretty much have to be to main focus of every space agency on Earth.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2015, 05:44 AM   #337
Monketi Ghost
Confusion Reactor

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
I think the first Europa mission will be a Lander or rover to examine the chemistry of the surface. If we found signs, or even hints, of biology, then Europa would pretty much have to be to main focus of every space agency on Earth.
We've done been told already.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (5.7 KB, 180 views)
Monketi Ghost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2015, 05:45 AM   #338
Gawdzilla Sama

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Definitely look for hints in the upwellings before trying to drill into the liquidsphere.
Old 21st July 2015, 05:46 AM   #339
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

Titan is better--if there is life, it'll be at the surface of those organic solvent ponds. We've already sent a probe there; all we need to do is go back and send a probe with a digital camera and radio. Add a few other bells and whistles, perhaps, but not many--the point is to see if there is life, and the "seeing" part is the key.

Or, even better: a combo mission. Have the craft drop such a probe off on Titan, stick around for a while to relay the info back to Earth, then go to Europa, repeat, then go to the next candidate, repeat...(obviously the itinerary is flexible). It'd take a while, but it would be worth it. We could, with one mission, answer one of the greatest questions of all time: Are we alone?
Old 21st July 2015, 06:34 AM   #340
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Monketi Ghost View Post
Come on. What are they going to do ? Blot out the sun ? Give me a break !

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2015, 06:36 AM   #341
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Come on. What are they going to do ? Blot out the sun ? Give me a break !
Ignite Jupiter? It'd make colonising the Jovian system easier.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2015, 07:56 AM   #342
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Monketi Ghost View Post
Come on! Are we 'Muricans, or what?
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2015, 08:14 AM   #343
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Titan is better--if there is life, it'll be at the surface of those organic solvent ponds.
Problem is, Europa seems to have water oceans, and we know that such an environment is hospitable to life. Titan has lakes of methane and ethane: no liquid water - the rocks are frozen water. No life we are familiar with could endure such conditions.

It is far from certain that anything describable as life could evolve or survive on a body like that.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2015, 08:16 AM   #344
Belz...
Fiend God

By the way: how can a body as small as Titan, way smaller than Mars, be able to hold such a thick atmosphere ?

Old 21st July 2015, 08:16 AM   #345
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

Problem is, Europa seems to have water oceans, and we know that such an environment is hospitable to life. Titan has lakes of methane and ethane: no liquid water - the rocks are frozen water. No life we are familiar with could endure such conditions.

It is far from certain that anything describable as life could evolve or survive on a body like that.
True, but we already have some evidence of metabolic processes on Titan.
Old 21st July 2015, 08:21 AM   #346
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
By the way: how can a body as small as Titan, way smaller than Mars, be able to hold such a thick atmosphere ?
Probably because Saturn's magnetic field shields it from solar winds, which are also weaker at Saturn's orbit than at Mars's orbit.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2015, 08:24 AM   #347
Belz...
Fiend God

Huh. Hadn't thought about that.

Old 21st July 2015, 08:25 AM   #348
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

True, but we already have some evidence of metabolic processes on Titan.
Do you have a link? Because that's really interesting.
Old 21st July 2015, 08:27 AM   #349
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

Do you have a link? Because that's really interesting.
http://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsyst...n20100603.html

There you go. It's a popular-press article, but you can find the peer-reviewed stuff pretty easily from there. I find the non-biological arguments to be somewhat lacking; not necessarily wrong, but I believe a scientific hypothesis needs to be more than "It might be something weird we don't know about yet".
Old 21st July 2015, 08:37 AM   #350
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I find the non-biological arguments to be somewhat lacking; not necessarily wrong, but I believe a scientific hypothesis needs to be more than "It might be something weird we don't know about yet".
The flip side is that since alien life is the explanation we want to be true, we need to be extra cautious about not jumping to that conclusion.
Old 21st July 2015, 08:41 AM   #351
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsyst...n20100603.html

There you go. It's a popular-press article, but you can find the peer-reviewed stuff pretty easily from there. I find the non-biological arguments to be somewhat lacking; not necessarily wrong, but I believe a scientific hypothesis needs to be more than "It might be something weird we don't know about yet".
I take your point, but I also agree with the principle enunciated in the NASA article.

"Scientific conservatism suggests that a biological explanation should be the last choice after all non-biological explanations are addressed."

ETA Ziggurat, I see you got there first.

Last edited by Craig B; 21st July 2015 at 08:46 AM.
Old 21st July 2015, 08:47 AM   #352
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
The flip side is that since alien life is the explanation we want to be true, we need to be extra cautious about not jumping to that conclusion.
Agreed--I said "evidence", not "proof". It's curious, something worth looking into. I'm willing to accept that we've found stromatolites on Mars (if nothing else, being proven wrong would result in facinating science), but here I'm not willing to go that far. I'm just saying that no alternative I've yet seen offered rises to the level of a testable scientific hypothesis, and since it's the only place we've found any evidence of life outside th Earth we should go back to look for more evidence.

Originally Posted by Craig B
I take your point, but I also agree with the principle enunciated in the NASA article.

"Scientific conservatism suggests that a biological explanation should be the last choice after all non-biological explanations are addressed."
I disagree. We shouldn't jump to such a conclusion, but "all non-biological explanations" is far too open-ended, and allows us to perpetually ignore evidence. I believe we should treat this hypothesis the same as any other.
Old 21st July 2015, 09:03 AM   #353
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

To be clear, where possible I prefer to use Strong Inferrence--with multiple working hypotheses and tests that exclude all but one (a quick google will show you the paper). When I say "treat it as any other hypothesis" I mean let's figure out what possible options there are, a way to test those options, and put them to the test.
Old 21st July 2015, 11:35 AM   #354
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Just watched the excellent Sky at Night programme on New Horizons. One theory as to why the surfaces of both Pluto and Charon seem so young that I hadn't heard before is that the collision that formed Charon occurred relatively recently.
Old 21st July 2015, 11:37 AM   #355
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Just watched the excellent Sky at Night programme on New Horizons. One theory as to why the surfaces of both Pluto and Charon seem so young that I hadn't heard before is that the collision that formed Charon occurred relatively recently.
I proposed that a while back. It wouls explain much of what we see, I think.
Old 21st July 2015, 11:42 AM   #356
Belz...
Fiend God

Yeah but apparently the big heads at NASA don't like that solution.

Old 21st July 2015, 11:49 AM   #357
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

Why not?
Old 21st July 2015, 11:55 AM   #358
Belz...
Fiend God

Why not?
Guy didn't say (he was quoted in an article... not sure I can find it again) but he said he'd rather rethink the science of how planetary surfacing works than consider a late formation.

(Googling "Charon recent formation")

Ah, there it is (top search result! Thanks, Google.) :

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily...to-charon.html

Here's the relevant part:

Quote:
With both Charon and Pluto appearing so youthful, my first question about this was: is it time to consider the idea that the Charon-forming impact happened a lot more recently than we thought? I asked the question at the press briefing, but as it was my second question they didn't answer it. I've been polling scientists since, and while geologists like the idea, dynamicists say that the odds of such an impact happening late are "infinitesimal" (that's a quote from Bill McKinnon). I asked him whether a late impact is less likely than retaining primordial heat to the present day, and he -- a geophysicist -- seems to prefer rethinking his geophysics work to considering a late impact.

Last edited by Belz...; 21st July 2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 21st July 2015, 12:01 PM   #359
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

So, no real reason given. I'm not at all convinced by one scientist's aversion to considering an idea--I'm too familiar with the Alvarez Hypothesis and the tectonics debates. Until someone gives me a solid reason, I'm going to continue to accept it as a viable explanation.

After all, we KNOW things hit each other, even back 100 ma. WE got hit 65 ma.
Old 21st July 2015, 12:05 PM   #360
Belz...
Fiend God

Yeah but not with anything near that size, however. Personally I don't think a recent collision is unrealistic, but then this was an opinion, not a science paper.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology