ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th October 2018, 06:03 PM   #881
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
How about we instead query the IRS, to see who paid the most in personal income taxes? Now that could shake some things up!

You're overthinking things. All they have to do is recognize who has the most expensive car or clothes.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 05:43 AM   #882
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
You're overthinking things. All they have to do is recognize who has the most expensive car or clothes.

You're missing the beauty of it though - this is both progressive and regressive. We can let the rich guys go to the head of the line, the way they always want to do - but only if they're willing to cough up a lot of money in taxes.

Imagine what it would be like if an Uber was about to choose between running over Donald Trump or Warren Buffet. Trump just might finally conclude that avoiding all his taxes doesn't actually "make him smart".
Old 26th October 2018, 01:11 PM   #883
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
You're missing the beauty of it though - this is both progressive and regressive. We can let the rich guys go to the head of the line, the way they always want to do - but only if they're willing to cough up a lot of money in taxes.

Imagine what it would be like if an Uber was about to choose between running over Donald Trump or Warren Buffet. Trump just might finally conclude that avoiding all his taxes doesn't actually "make him smart".
No, people buy a card. It costs as much money as you wish to pay. If an out of control car approaches and is considering hitting that person it emits a signal that says avoid this person. He is worth $so much. If several people have these cards then the car will hit the person whose card is worth the least.
Old 26th October 2018, 01:33 PM   #884
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
No, people buy a card. It costs as much money as you wish to pay. If an out of control car approaches and is considering hitting that person it emits a signal that says avoid this person. He is worth $so much. If several people have these cards then the car will hit the person whose card is worth the least.
That's just stupid.

Apple is getting into driverless cars and the decision for their cars will be based on which generation iPhone you are carrying. Obviously.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2018, 03:00 PM   #885
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
That's just stupid.

Apple is getting into driverless cars and the decision for their cars will be based on which generation iPhone you are carrying. Obviously.
That is even better. Then put a tax on phones. Only the rich and the paranoid could afford phones.
Old 8th January 2019, 10:29 AM   #886
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

An interesting update on the basic question that comes up in this and other similar threads, about the ultimate takeover of self-driving cars:

https://medium.com/radical-urbanist/...t-c5fe5aa01699

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 12:23 PM   #887
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
An interesting update on the basic question that comes up in this and other similar threads, about the ultimate takeover of self-driving cars:

https://medium.com/radical-urbanist/...t-c5fe5aa01699
Sounds like someone who is a proponent of urban cycling and wants to see resources poured into that rather than any meaningful examination of current data on autonomous technology in cars.
Old 9th January 2019, 09:28 AM   #888
mattobrien85
New Blood

People get killed by drivers who smoke pot every day. Banning SD cars will omly make the problem worse.
mattobrien85 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 09:38 AM   #889
fagin
Philosopher

Self driving car kills robot.

https://www.facebook.com/thedailysho...7635175753232/
Old 9th January 2019, 09:40 AM   #890
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
That's a publicity stunt. That company pulled that same kind of crap before.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 11:15 AM   #891
fagin
Philosopher

Don't care. I still laughed.
Old 9th January 2019, 12:38 PM   #892
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mattobrien85 View Post
People get killed by drivers who smoke pot every day. Banning SD cars will omly make the problem worse.
The article I cited certainly did not advocate banning SD cars, coming as it does from a major developer of them. What it does mention is the concern many of us have had and expressed over the prediction made by some that totally driverless cars would become mandatory. Partly on the grounds that there will always be situations and places where it's impossible to do safely, or wildly overexpensive, and partly on the grounds that the huge cost of development and implementation of the vehicles and the infrastructure would be better spent on other forms of transit. This article seems to agree with that. It's not a call to ban self driving cars or even to curtail their development.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 03:07 AM   #893
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
The article I cited certainly did not advocate banning SD cars, coming as it does from a major developer of them. What it does mention is the concern many of us have had and expressed over the prediction made by some that totally driverless cars would become mandatory. Partly on the grounds that there will always be situations and places where it's impossible to do safely, or wildly overexpensive, and partly on the grounds that the huge cost of development and implementation of the vehicles and the infrastructure would be better spent on other forms of transit. This article seems to agree with that. It's not a call to ban self driving cars or even to curtail their development.

The major alternative put forward is cycling, which will only ever be a suitable alternative to cars for a minority of the population in some situations.
Old 10th January 2019, 08:23 AM   #894
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
The major alternative put forward is cycling, which will only ever be a suitable alternative to cars for a minority of the population in some situations.
I live in a town which is very bicycle-friendly, which is good But this is re-enforced by a very powerful pro-bicycle lobby that is IMO is near cult like. Their central principle is that cars are evil and they actively seek to force people away from the evil of driving into their true religion of cycling by using their political power more and more to arrange streets, parking, etc. to make it extremely unpleasant or impossible for people to drive.

I am not against the concept of diminishing unnecessary driving, but I wish the pro-bicycle cult showed some sign of realizing just how many people there are in town who are too old or physically frail to cycle. Not to mention transporting large packages, etc.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 08:26 AM   #895
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
And not in the Canadian winter.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 09:18 AM   #896
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

It's important, I think, to remember that the article cited is not by the president of Waymo, whose observation of the limitation of self driving cars is what I was most interested in. The writer of the article goes off on a bike tangent that I think is unfortunately one-sided.

In any case, I put the article forward because I think it an interesting counterpoint to some arguments we've heard (the most obvious from the now-banned Joey McGee) that assert that in the foreseeable future we will see only driverless cars, and that driverless cars, even without steering wheels, will be mandated.

I've argued in the past that out here in the boonies driverless cars will just not work, and also that in some places where they might they won't solve the issues that our dependence on cars have produced: congestion, pollution and limited access, and it's interesting to me to see someone who is clearly invested in the improvement of autonomous vehicles making a similar observation.

Old 10th January 2019, 10:19 AM   #897
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Their central principle is that cars are evil and they actively seek to force people away from the evil of driving into their true religion of cycling by using their political power more and more to arrange streets, parking, etc. to make it extremely unpleasant or impossible for people to drive.
Same in my city. We are a municipality historically governed by liberal Democrats, doing their best in one of the reddest states in the Union. The city wants to be friendly to bicycles and pedestrians, blissfully indifferent to the fact that it's cold and snowy six months out of the year.

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
And not in the Canadian winter.
Or a Utah winter. Reference the above-noted snow and cold temperatures. But the red state government is extremely friendly to businesses that dump tons of pollutants into our air, and hostile to any legislation to do anything meaningful about it. They'd rather stifle their citizens than "innovation." Also six months out of the year, our inverted temperatures trap these pollutants close to the ground. Our media blares constant warnings of unsafe air, reminding us to limit our outdoor exertion. So even healthy, young people aren't dumb enough to brave the snowdrifts and frigid air to suck lungfuls of industrial pollutants while biking to and fro.

My street was chosen to be a pilot for hard-curbed bike lanes, which I'll go into detail about if asked. This street connects downtown to the university. The problem is that if you want to ride up to attend classes, you have to climb a hill that straddles the Wasatch fault. In the space of two blocks, the elevation climbs 200 feet as you go from the lower techtonic plate to the upper one. If you go one block to the south, or two blocks to the north, the slope is much gentler. That's where the bikers actually ride. No casual commuters are going to first-gear it up that hill breathing air you can feel against your teeth.

The best option for our downtown area is not civil engineering designed to force people to leave their cars at home and ride bikes through soups of factory emissions. What would work for our downtown are self-driving electric cars.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology