ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd October 2018, 06:43 AM   #1
apollo16uvc
Student

Exclusive look at NASA Apollo 14 photos, never seen before?

Exclusive look at Apollo 14 photos

Disclaimer: This is a preview, and may be subject to change.

Apollo 14 took high-resolution photos of the lunar surface from orbit with a modified Hycon KA-7A Aerial Reconnaissance Camera. The results produced from these military-grade optics and large-format film would be of incredible high resolutions.

And while other large-format photos of the lunar surface taken on Apollo 15, 16 and 17 are online in a mind-boggling 4.8 Gigapixels, high enough to discern Apollo equipment at the landing sites, high-resolution scans of the Apollo 14 KA-7A photos are missing.

The magazines used in the KA-7A camera were numbered AS14-79 and AS14-80.

First, below is a list of currently online sources for these photos, albeit in low and moderate resolution. (To my knowledge)

1. Scans of Apollo 14 image catalog by Awe130
Notes: Awe130 has high-resolution scans of his catalog, but does not want to publish them. Perhaps someone from here can request access to the high-res scans?

2. Scans of Apollo 14 image catalog by NASA
Notes: As14-80 frames start at PDF file page 9.

3. Scans of Apollo 14 science report
Notes: page 282 til 288

4. Two AS14-80 frames scanned from (presumed) prints, see two links bottom page

5. Various images from his own, and other sources. Provided by Paul

6. The US National Archives has two frames:
6.1: https://catalog.archives.gov/id/16701241
6.2: https://catalog.archives.gov/id/16701244

So why am I making this reply?:
Because I have acquired ten 20"x24"inch prints of magazine AS14-80 and together with Paul, am working on scanning and processing them.

We will present an other source for the images, and in much greater resolution and fidelity than previously online. Most of our scans were previously only available as ultra-low resolution scans from the Apollo 14 photo catalog.

We will be providing the highest-resolution scans of these photos online to date.

I use my Epson Perfection V750 Pro to scan the gargantuan print in 6 sections, making sure there is ample overlap between the scans. Vuescan 9 outputs two files, a contrast/brightness enhanced scan, and the uncorrected RAW scan. Both files are saved as 16-bit grayscale uncompressed TIFFs. Sharp prints are scanned at 800 DPI, soft prints are scanned at 300 DPI.

Paul then uses photoshop to merge the 6 individual scans back into a single image. The combined scan is saved in two versions; the uncorrected RAW version, and a contrast enhanced, sharpened version to try and get the most detail out of the prints possible. Due to the nature of this process, there may be some visible stitching where two scans meet.

The resultant image resolution is 307 Megapixels.

A photo of one of the prints: AS14-80-10503

A Full-HD preview of the links below: AS14-80-10441

Full-res 307-Megapixel download of raw merge
Full-res 307-Megapixel download of the contrast enhanced/sharpened merge
Half-res download of enhanced/sharpened image

Scan of AS14-80-10441 compared to LRO

AS14-80-10441 is a high-magnification photo of the Theophilus crater, see here Note the website preview is only half the resolution of a raw scan tile.

The Apollo 16 ITEK Panoramic Mapping Camera compared to the Hycon KA-7A (Keep in mind AS16 is a NASA scan from the original film, and ours is only a scan of a print.)

Another comparison by Paul.

This print was not sharp, so I only scanned at 300DPI. The resolution is still good:

Here is a list with the photos and the progression:

10412: Not yet scanned!
10441: Individual scans, merged.
10444: Individual scans, merged.
10453: Individual scans, merged.
10455: Individual scans, not yet merged.
10459: Individual scans, merged.
10466: Individual scans, not yet merged.
10503: Individual scans, merged.
10518: Not yet scanned!
10535: Individual scans, merged.

Once all the prints have been scanned and processed all the individual scans and merges will be provided, in RAW and enhanced.

Please tell me what you think! I and Paul would like feedback.

Kind regards,
Niels

Last edited by apollo16uvc; 23rd October 2018 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Oversize images.
apollo16uvc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 06:47 AM   #2
fagin
Philosopher

Conspiracy theories?
Old 23rd October 2018, 07:26 AM   #3
apollo16uvc
Student

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Conspiracy theories?
Some people say the photos contain UFO's, other say high-res versions will prove NASA never went to the Moon. Why has NASA not put all of them online like the other photos?

This topic will be for discussion of these photos, and will be updated with new scans and discoveries.
apollo16uvc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 07:34 AM   #4
Whip
Graduate Poster

as soon as you resize the photos to reasonable limits.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 08:00 AM   #5
apollo16uvc
Student

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
as soon as you resize the photos to reasonable limits.
Added half-res PNG.
Old 23rd October 2018, 08:33 AM   #6
Cosmic Yak
Master Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by apollo16uvc View Post
Some people say the photos contain UFO's, other say high-res versions will prove NASA never went to the Moon. Why has NASA not put all of them online like the other photos?

This topic will be for discussion of these photos, and will be updated with new scans and discoveries.
If NASA wants to hide UFOs or hoax the moon landings, why release the photos at all?

Are conspiracy theorists not aware of the existence of countries that are not America, which have their own space programmes, or are we to assume that Russia, China, the EU, India etc. are all now collaborating to cover up whatever is supposed to be being covered up?

Too silly for words.
Old 23rd October 2018, 08:43 AM   #7
fagin
Philosopher

I'm kind of confused. You are not saying that I assume?

So why should random idiots hunt this thread down and make stupid statements?

It's interesting, but from a scientific point of view.

I've mentioned to the mods, but might be better if you asked for it to be moved.
Old 23rd October 2018, 09:19 AM   #8
bknight
Graduate Poster

Exclusive look at Apollo 14 photos

Disclaimer: This is a preview, and may be subject to change.

Apollo 14 took high-resolution photos of the lunar surface from orbit with a modified Hycon KA-7A Aerial Reconnaissance Camera. The results produced from these military-grade optics and large-format film would be of incredible high resolutions.

And while other large-format photos of the lunar surface taken on Apollo 15, 16 and 17 are online in a mind-boggling 4.8 Gigapixels, high enough to discern Apollo equipment at the landing sites, high-resolution scans of the Apollo 14 KA-7A photos are missing.

The magazines used in the KA-7A camera were numbered AS14-79 and AS14-80.

First, below is a list of currently online sources for these photos, albeit in low and moderate resolution. (To my knowledge)

1. Scans of Apollo 14 image catalog by Awe130
Notes: Awe130 has high-resolution scans of his catalog, but does not want to publish them. Perhaps someone from here can request access to the high-res scans?

2. Scans of Apollo 14 image catalog by NASA
Notes: As14-80 frames start at PDF file page 9.

3. Scans of Apollo 14 science report
Notes: page 282 til 288

4. Two AS14-80 frames scanned from (presumed) prints, see two links bottom page

5. Various images from his own, and other sources. Provided by Paul

6. The US National Archives has two frames:
6.1: https://catalog.archives.gov/id/16701241
6.2: https://catalog.archives.gov/id/16701244

So why am I making this reply?:
Because I have acquired ten 20"x24"inch prints of magazine AS14-80 and together with Paul, am working on scanning and processing them.

We will present an other source for the images, and in much greater resolution and fidelity than previously online. Most of our scans were previously only available as ultra-low resolution scans from the Apollo 14 photo catalog.

We will be providing the highest-resolution scans of these photos online to date.

I use my Epson Perfection V750 Pro to scan the gargantuan print in 6 sections, making sure there is ample overlap between the scans. Vuescan 9 outputs two files, a contrast/brightness enhanced scan, and the uncorrected RAW scan. Both files are saved as 16-bit grayscale uncompressed TIFFs. Sharp prints are scanned at 800 DPI, soft prints are scanned at 300 DPI.

Paul then uses photoshop to merge the 6 individual scans back into a single image. The combined scan is saved in two versions; the uncorrected RAW version, and a contrast enhanced, sharpened version to try and get the most detail out of the prints possible. Due to the nature of this process, there may be some visible stitching where two scans meet.

The resultant image resolution is 307 Megapixels.

A photo of one of the prints: AS14-80-10503

A Full-HD preview of the links below: AS14-80-10441

Full-res 307-Megapixel download of raw merge
Full-res 307-Megapixel download of the contrast enhanced/sharpened merge
Half-res download of enhanced/sharpened image

Scan of AS14-80-10441 compared to LRO

AS14-80-10441 is a high-magnification photo of the Theophilus crater, see here Note the website preview is only half the resolution of a raw scan tile.

The Apollo 16 ITEK Panoramic Mapping Camera compared to the Hycon KA-7A (Keep in mind AS16 is a NASA scan from the original film, and ours is only a scan of a print.)

Another comparison by Paul.

This print was not sharp, so I only scanned at 300DPI. The resolution is still good:

Here is a list with the photos and the progression:

10412: Not yet scanned!
10441: Individual scans, merged.
10444: Individual scans, merged.
10453: Individual scans, merged.
10455: Individual scans, not yet merged.
10459: Individual scans, merged.
10466: Individual scans, not yet merged.
10503: Individual scans, merged.
10518: Not yet scanned!
10535: Individual scans, merged.

Once all the prints have been scanned and processed all the individual scans and merges will be provided, in RAW and enhanced.

Please tell me what you think! I and Paul would like feedback.

Kind regards,
Niels
This may be a stupid question but have you contacted NASA and asked if they would publish the high resolution film in digital format, probably to be located in the JPL web site?
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 09:34 AM   #9
apollo16uvc
Student

I asked someone who does scanning work at the NASA film archives if he has seen them, why they arent online in high res, and if he could scan them when possible.

He said that unfortinately time and jobs are very strict, and that isnt possible right now.

I asked the national archives because they have two frames. I asked if they could put everything online, or find some large format film copy for me to scan. They said they were looking into my request. I think I asked the same thing to some NASA archive, they will be looking into it.

This was several months ago.
Old 23rd October 2018, 09:39 AM   #10
apollo16uvc
Student

I'm kind of confused. You are not saying that I assume?

I've mentioned to the mods, but might be better if you asked for it to be moved.
I am confused. Why should I say you were assuming? I do not think you were.

I never said random idiots should hunt this thread down. I simply answering your question on why the Apollo 14 photos can be considered interesting to conspiracy theorists, because they talked about them several times. See the awe130 website and:

http://www.ufosightingsdaily.com/201...-14-photo.html
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread917889/pg1
This can be moved to science if the mods want to. I also request if the "never seen before" part can be removed from the title, its kind of lame.

Last edited by apollo16uvc; 23rd October 2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 23rd October 2018, 09:51 AM   #11
Belz...
Fiend God

Some people say the photos contain UFO's, other say high-res versions will prove NASA never went to the Moon.
Some people say the Earth is flat.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 10:02 AM   #12
bknight
Graduate Poster

I asked someone who does scanning work at the NASA film archives if he has seen them, why they arent online in high res, and if he could scan them when possible.

He said that unfortinately time and jobs are very strict, and that isnt possible right now.

I asked the national archives because they have two frames. I asked if they could put everything online, or find some large format film copy for me to scan. They said they were looking into my request. I think I asked the same thing to some NASA archive, they will be looking into it.

Obviously a low priority task for them. At least you have banged on the door nd the squeaky well gets greased. I would suggest another round of requests. Perhaps that spur them on?

I know you have done some wonderful work on those digital files, another thought might be to offer your services to complete a project? Food for thought.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 10:20 AM   #13
fagin
Philosopher

I'm kind of confused. You are not saying that, I assume?

I am confused. Why should I say you were assuming? I do not think you were.

I was assuming that you were not saying that the pics contain UFO's etc.

So I still miss the point of it being in the conspiracy section.

Edited to add a comma, which makes what I was asking clearer.
Old 23rd October 2018, 10:31 AM   #14
apollo16uvc
Student

Correct, I do not think these photos contain UFO's. I was stating other people said so.

Because some people have perpetrated the AS14-80 photos (And lack thereof on the internet) as evidence for a conspiracy, be it UFO's, faked photos, or something else.

I do not expect those people to come here though, so I guess you are right and this thread is better suited for science/technology.

Regards
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:48 AM   #15
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Your scan is very cool. I think the guys reply is pretty standard i.e. no time. For future reference though, please don't forget Elagabalus' rule of scanning. ***Aways***, always, always scan whatever it is at the highest resolution possible with no compression. No matter what they say, the client will always come back and want such and such detail at the last minute. Never fails.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 12:06 PM   #16
Whip
Graduate Poster

Added half-res PNG.
thank you
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 12:45 PM   #17
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Correct, I do not think these photos contain UFO's. I was stating other people said so.

Because some people have perpetrated the AS14-80 photos (And lack thereof on the internet) as evidence for a conspiracy, be it UFO's, faked photos, or something else.

I do not expect those people to come here though, so I guess you are right and this thread is better suited for science/technology.

Regards
Didn't you mention that low-res images are available? If so, what additional things _conspiratorially_ could be obtained from the hi-res images? Would UFOs show up in hi-res but not in low res? I'm having trouble understanding that.
Old 23rd October 2018, 01:01 PM   #18
apollo16uvc
Student

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Didn't you mention that low-res images are available? If so, what additional things _conspiratorially_ could be obtained from the hi-res images? Would UFOs show up in hi-res but not in low res? I'm having trouble understanding that.

The low-res versions look like this:

210x190 resolution (From Awe130):

Scan from NASA of Apollo 14 catalog:

Versus 19000x17000 scans that look the Full-HD preview, capable of magnifications you see in the AS14-LRO comparisons.

Simply a gargantuan increase in resolution, sharpness, lack of compression, and dynamic range.

Last edited by apollo16uvc; 23rd October 2018 at 01:03 PM.
Old 23rd October 2018, 03:32 PM   #19
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I think the high resolution photos are great! I think why NASA hasn't scanned and made available all has already been answered upthread: that would be an enormous effort and expense for a fiscally struggling agency.

Of course even providing such detailed photos could never undermine the conspiracy advocates: they would find some small irregularities among the many newly provided pixels that they could then use to sell another myth to the naive. And the conspiracists would simply explain away any of the new evidence that goes against their existing pet theories by stating that NASA was hanging unto these photos until they could Photoshop out the UFOs.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 05:52 AM   #20
herrdocjdm
Scholar

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I think the high resolution photos are great! I think why NASA hasn't scanned and made available all has already been answered upthread: that would be an enormous effort and expense for a fiscally struggling agency.

Of course even providing such detailed photos could never undermine the conspiracy advocates: they would find some small irregularities among the many newly provided pixels that they could then use to sell another myth to the naive. And the conspiracists would simply explain away any of the new evidence that goes against their existing pet theories by stating that NASA was hanging unto these photos until they could Photoshop out the UFOs.
These pics are fantastic! Were they taken at the same studio in London where Kubrick faked the moon landings?
</sarcasm off>
herrdocjdm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 09:47 AM   #21
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by herrdocjdm View Post
These pics are fantastic! Were they taken at the same studio in London where Kubrick faked the moon landings?
</sarcasm off>
These are orbiting shots, so, no. That studio is separate from the one used to fake the landing part.
Old 28th October 2018, 08:25 AM   #22
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
These are orbiting shots, so, no. That studio is separate from the one used to fake the landing part.
Yeah, I believe in the industry that's called "B-roll."
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2018, 10:24 AM   #23
apollo16uvc
Student

After several months of hard work, this project comes to a close. I'd like to thank everybody for their help and insight.

All of the 10 prints have been scanned and can be found on this archival website.

AS14-80 prints:
Subject: 20x24" b/w darkroom prints
Medium: 20x24" darkroom paper
Scanner: Epson Perfection V750 Pro
Scan software: Vuescan 9
Scan Resolution: Between 300 and 800 DPI, depends on print sharpness.
File extension: Tiff

Notes:
!LARGE FILE SIZES!
File size of individual frames varies from 17 to 125MB.
File size of merges varies from 124mb to 600mb.

Each print is scanned in 6 sections, making sure there is ample overlap between the scans.
Vuescan 9 outputs two files, a contrast/brightness enhanced scan, and the
uncorrected RAW scan. Both files are saved as 16-bit grayscale
uncompressed TIFFs. Sharp prints are scanned at 800 DPI, soft prints are
scanned at 300 DPI.

Paul/OneBigMonkey then uses photoshop to merge the 6
individual scans back into a single image. The combined scan is saved in
two versions; the uncorrected RAW version, and a contrast enhanced,
sharpened version to try and get the most detail out of the prints
possible. Due to the nature of this process, there may be some visible
stitching where scans meet.

Individual scans provided as AS14-80-10###-C#-I#-F#, merged files uploaded with 'merge-C#-I#' suffix.

C1I1= Colour fade/cast correction enabled. ICE Infrared Spot/dust removal enabled set to light. I2 = set to medium. Highlight / dark values enhancement for greater contrast, usually very conservative to not blow highlights/dark values.

C0I0 / RAW = Colour fade/cast correction disabled. ICE Infrared Spot/dust removal disabled. Unprocessed scan.

F## = frame number of set or single image scanned in multiple sections.

Below is a list of full-res merged files as JPGs (Between 8 and 75 MB each)

AS14-80-10412
AS14-80-10441
AS14-80-10444
AS14-80-10453
AS14-80-10455
AS14-80-10459
AS14-80-10466
AS14-80-10503
AS14-80-10518
AS14-80-10535

Paul will continue to look at the files in closer detail and compare them to other space missions to the moon, as seen in my previous posts. New developments will be posted here.

I am always searching for more of these photos, so if you know any please notify me, so I can try and get it online.

If you are interested in having one of these prints, send me a PM.

Best regards,
Niels
Old 30th October 2018, 11:08 AM   #24
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by herrdocjdm View Post
</sarcasm off>

The moon landing wasn't shot in London. When they approached Kubrick to film the fake, he was so much of a perfectionist that he demanded to shoot it on-location.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2018, 11:14 AM   #25
Belz...
Fiend God

Nice.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2018, 11:27 AM   #26
bknight
Graduate Poster

<snip>AS14-80-10412
<snip>Best regards,
Niels
I have a question concerning the above image and possibly others, Right near the middle there is a whiteish jagged line. Is this an artifact of the scan or the original image transferred to paper?
Old 30th October 2018, 11:34 AM   #27
apollo16uvc
Student

Originally Posted by bknight View Post
I have a question concerning the above image and possibly others, Right near the middle there is a whiteish jagged line. Is this an artifact of the scan or the original image transferred to paper?
This is not a scanning artifact, nor part of the picture on the print. This is a kink in the paper, physical damage basically. When you have the print in front of you it is pretty easy to see it has a 3D relief.

The parts where the line is cut two, where you see several other 'lines', is a digital artifact of merging the scans together. One or several individual scans likely have the same area, uncut.

Last edited by apollo16uvc; 30th October 2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 31st October 2018, 12:40 PM   #28
Lurch
Muse

Better to have the negatives to scan from. Photographic prints automatically degrade the image--always.

Out of curiosity, what is the areal coverage of each frame? In this little project, what fraction of the lunar globe is covered in total?
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2018, 09:10 PM   #29
marting
Graduate Poster

There is an issue that comes up when scanning reflective media that can impact stitching separately scanned items. When a scanned image is highly reflective, illumination light bounces off the media within a cm or two of each point being scanned and a portion of this light is re-reflected back onto the document. This results in differing scan values that can be as high as 20% greater on something with a large, white area around the scanned item.

For instance a gray area of, say, 20 mm^2 surrounded by white may have pixel values indicating 24% reflectance while the exact same gray, surrounded by a "black" that reflects only 2% of light would have pixel values indicating 20% reflectance. 20%, BTW, is considered a middle gray as human visual response is quite non-linear.

Visually, it's a very subtle effect and almost invisible effect outside if A/B testing but can be quite annoying when using scanners where precision scanning in needed.

But it can cause odd changes in light level at stitching points where it can stick out quite a bit at times.

To mitigate this visually, scan images that have a border around them with a backing that is roughly the same as the average on the items being scanned. It helps lower changes in the brightness at the splice points but doesn't eliminate the problem in the images themselves.

See the plots on page 3. Keep in mind the RGB values are gamma encoded.
https://perso.liris.cnrs.fr/victor.o...ppraoaches.pdf
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:14 PM   #30
EHocking
Philosopher

Obviously a low priority task for them. At least you have banged on the door nd the squeaky well gets greased...
You’re not suggesting NASA would take out a contract on apollo16uvc are you?
You’re obviously one of thos CTers that he was worried about.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2018, 09:57 AM   #31
apollo16uvc
Student

Red face

Obviously a low priority task for them. At least you have banged on the door nd the squeaky well gets greased. I would suggest another round of requests. Perhaps that spur them on?

I know you have done some wonderful work on those digital files, another thought might be to offer your services to complete a project? Food for thought.

Some months ago I requested digital and/or analog files from three NSSDCA sets that may contain the AS14-80 photos.

Sets:
PSPG-00109
PSPG-00256
1971-008A-01

last week I asked for a progress update, and they replied within two days. They were sorry for not getting back to me.

Anyways, the news from the NSSDCA:

"Our staff scientist has found that there are only about 100 useful frames. We are going to digitize them and send them to you."

Last edited by apollo16uvc; 4th November 2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 4th November 2018, 04:33 PM   #32
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Looks like a lot of high quality pictures of dirt to me..

If anyone is interested, I can get some from my yard that have never been published..
Old 5th November 2018, 06:13 PM   #33
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Looks like a lot of high quality pictures of dirt to me..

If anyone is interested, I can get some from my yard that have never been published..
And has yest to be trodden on by a sentient being.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 08:17 AM   #34
apollo16uvc
Student

Yesterday I received all AS14-79 and AS14-80 photos from the NSSDCA. Looks like a film copy 'scanned' with a Nikon d750 and 60mm micro nikkor.

The 25mb TIFF files are problematic to open, it seems that in addition to the full resolution (6004 * 4002) photo there is a preview and thumbnail view in the file. So there are 3 photos in 1 file. Its only correctly opened with software that understands Nikon RAW. I will convert the files to something common for publication.

Unfortinately 'old style jpg' compression is used in the files, so when you zoom in you see JPG compression blocks. I have asked if the NSSDCA can supply NIKON. NEF files without compression.

I will keep this topic updated.
Old 8th November 2018, 08:18 AM   #35
apollo16uvc
Student

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
You’re not suggesting NASA would take out a contract on apollo16uvc are you?
You’re obviously one of thos CTers that he was worried about.
Me worried about conspiracy believers?

L
O
L

They should we worried about me!
Old 8th November 2018, 08:20 AM   #36
apollo16uvc
Student

Also, i guess this means I am a nasa shill now.

Woohoo! What benefits do I get?
Old 9th November 2018, 10:29 PM   #37
EHocking
Philosopher

Also, i guess this means I am a nasa shill now.

Woohoo! What benefits do I get?
Special dispensation to punch moon landing deniers in the face.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 10th November 2018, 07:33 PM   #38
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Special dispensation to punch moon landing deniers in the face.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
I have seen that before. I always wanted to do what Buzz did! Hell of a good punch too, even if he is an old man. Caught him square and hard!
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2018, 04:39 AM   #39
apollo16uvc
Student

Disclaimer: I and Paul are not from NASA or endorsed by them. We are doing this in our own free time.

This archive contains 251 photos taken on Apollo 14 by a modified Hycon KA-7A camera. These magazines were designated as AS14-79 and AS14-80.

I would like to thank the NSSDCA for scanning and providing magazine AS14-79 and AS14-80.

I would like to thank Paul for processing the NSSDCA .TIFF files.

These photos were acquired by requesting NSSDCA dataset PSPG-00256. A film or digital copy of AS14-79 and AS14-80 was requested. The NSSDCA scanned a film for this request and several months later the resultant digital dataset was provided.

Each file is 23 MB and has a resolution of 6016*4016 pixels.

The NSSDCA provided TIFF files appear to be NIKON D750 raw files, which can only be correctly opened with special software. Paul was kind enough to batch-process all raw files. Each file was put through a DNG converted, Photoshop will then allow it to be imported normally. This caused the images to turn brown, which was corrected by turning them grayscale.

Thanks everybody for your support.

Good night.
Old 25th December 2018, 06:30 AM   #40
apollo16uvc
Student

Paul and I did not sit still, here a taste of the research done on the photos. Paul has been able to find the location for every AS14-80 and AS14-79 photo.

Location of the AS14-80 photos from NASA:

Location of AS14-80 photos scanned by me:

Let's compare AS14-80-10441 with the other sources over the years.

It can be seen that the large-scale photography of the Apollo missions is very competitive against modern probes, even against the LRO.

And what about the AS14-79 photos? Although the magazine did not work well, Rosa tried to photograph the Apollo 14 landing site during the landing. Did he succeed?

Hell yes! Cone Crater can be seen on a number of photographs. Let's zoom in:

The red arrow points to Cone Crater, the largest crater at the landing site. If the magazine had worked properly, Rosa might have photographed the LM shortly after landing, or perhaps even during the landing. Whether AS14-79 had enough resolution for that, I'm not sure. The photos were taken in a higher orbit than AS14-80.

The website with all the research will be done soon!

Last edited by apollo16uvc; 25th December 2018 at 06:33 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology