ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th December 2018, 07:25 AM   #41
erwinl
Master Poster

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
The US and Mexico are 110-120 vac and Britain is 220.

I am not sure if Oz or most of Europe either.

Most of the new stuff we have purchased in Mexico is capable of 110 or 220 input including the flat TVs and the phone chargers. Things with motors tend to be rated for 100-125 vac range now instead of 120 on the sticker. Odd but everything works fine until the voltage dips to 90 vac.

Then the CFL light bulbs start frying the circuit boards.
Mainland Europe is mostly 230 Volt and it, usually, doesn't matter which way you put the plugs into the sockets.
Which is just as well, because two earthed plugs (three prong), like these, will not fit together in a two plug wand socket if pointed the same way. So one will always be 'upside down'.

What I like about the UK sockets, is that they each contain their own fuse and switch, which you can use to switch off the power. In the Netherlands, that is only possible to do via the central fuse board.
On the other hand. If I look at the position of the sockets in my house (about 10 cm above the floor and mostly hidden beneath some cupboards), I'm glad I can switch off the sockets in a central place.
Old 27th December 2018, 07:53 AM   #42
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
Mainland Europe is mostly 230 Volt and it, usually, doesn't matter which way you put the plugs into the sockets.
Which is just as well, because two earthed plugs (three prong), like these, will not fit together in a two plug wand socket if pointed the same way. So one will always be 'upside down'.

What I like about the UK sockets, is that they each contain their own fuse and switch, which you can use to switch off the power. In the Netherlands, that is only possible to do via the central fuse board.
On the other hand. If I look at the position of the sockets in my house (about 10 cm above the floor and mostly hidden beneath some cupboards), I'm glad I can switch off the sockets in a central place.

Minor nitpick, the plugs contain the fuse, the socket has the switch.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2018, 08:08 AM   #43
erwinl
Master Poster

Oh. In that case I remembered that one wrong.
It's been a while since I've visited the UK.

Still. I like that part of the UK socket/plug combo.
But I also like the way it doesn't matter which way you put in the plugs into the sockets like we have here.

We should be able to combine those two just fine, I'd think.
Old 27th December 2018, 09:06 AM   #44
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
Oh. In that case I remembered that one wrong.
It's been a while since I've visited the UK.

Still. I like that part of the UK socket/plug combo.
But I also like the way it doesn't matter which way you put in the plugs into the sockets like we have here.

We should be able to combine those two just fine, I'd think.
With a live, neutral and earth system, each pin has its own function.

Even if the device might work under normal conditions if they'd been swapped.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2018, 04:46 PM   #45
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
With a live, neutral and earth system, each pin has its own function.

Even if the device might work under normal conditions if they'd been swapped.
Indeed, many double-insulated and transformer-containing devices are made to plug in either way without any consequence, but that does not change the fact that live and neutral are different and can at other times make a big difference in shock safety, which is why polarized two prong plugs have a wide pin that cannot be put into a proper socket or adapter backwards.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2018, 05:44 PM   #46
8enotto
Thinker

Residential in Mexico is two wire with a hot and ground.

I wired most of my new home because we could not do a pro. Money was tight and it didn't seem that hard.

I treated it like DC power starting at the breaker box. Switched the hots for the.lights and spent the cash on new light fixtures instead of the labor.

Two years in and no problems nor repairs required yet. No permits and no spectacular fireworks shows so we are set.

I did use the better US standard parts like switches and outlets over the more stylish domestic stuff. More durable.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2018, 06:51 PM   #47
MEequalsIxR
Scholar

Using the three pin NEMA 5-15 receptacle "upside down" ie ground pin up is the preferred method but is not mandated in the NEC. Using it that way also has the advantage since the ground pin being is longer than the hot and neutral it tends to keep the plug in the receptacle better than the other way around.

The device in the OP could not be approved as a mounted fixture in the US - NEMA standards limit a single gang receptacle to three outlets. It would never get by UL either.
MEequalsIxR is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2018, 09:56 PM   #48
Wolrab
Illuminator

I did lights for bands and was good enough to stay hired. Seen and done some horrifying electrical stuff. Not OSHA approved.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2018, 11:38 PM   #49
8enotto
Thinker

You would be amazed with what passes for long term installations in Mexico. Even after doing stage lighting.

My own cost more than double in materials over the low budget line but not paying labor still kept it cheaper than hiring out. Good wire and proven parts should be showing its value in time.
I made it so my son will only need to change light bulbs in the future. Not undo hack work with poor materials.
I had to strip out a poor attempt at doing it cheap here and there. So he will not have to later.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2018, 05:50 PM   #50
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Here in Oz it's nominally 240V 50Hz...

I say nominally, because voltage and frequency fluctuations are both a thing.

My inverter (connected to the solar panels) monitors the mains voltage and frequency and shuts down if the mains gets too far away from spec.

I also have a UPS on all my comms gear that monitors voltage and frequency on the mains, and provides a constant voltage and frequency to my equipment on this side.
Old 28th December 2018, 05:53 PM   #51
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Just checked the UPS, and it's currently showing 251V on the supply side.

(No wonder equipment used to fail all the time before I put that into the circuit)
Old 28th December 2018, 08:28 PM   #52
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I have a voltage and frequency meter that I use when running the generator. I used to run my emergency generator off a tractor PTO and used it to set the throttle. I've monitored the line voltage, and though it does sometimes drop, and fluctuates locally when loads come on, it stays pretty consistently at 120 volts, and I've never seen any variation in frequency. Nowadays I have a more modern generator, which fluctuates a little but doesn't have an adjustable throttle, and use the monitor just to keep tabs on it.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology