ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th December 2018, 04:38 AM   #1
Mid
Graduate Poster

Attack of the Drones

Thought I'd post a thread about this as it's currently on-going and apparently a growing problem for airports around the world. Anyway Gatwick Airport, London's second airport, is currently shut due to some tosser flying a drone in it's airspace for the past 12 or so hours. There's lots of complaints from passengers saying the authorities should be doing something about it but I'm at a loss as to what they can do.

Here's a link to the coverage (mainly chosen as the headline of "police still trying to catch drones after flights cancelled Ė live" brings to mind a load of cops chasing after the drone with butterfly nets):

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...n-live-updates
Mid is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 05:19 AM   #2
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

I shudder to think how much havoc could be wreaked by a few dozen determined activists (of whatever kind) with a well-coordinated drone campaign.
Old 20th December 2018, 06:13 AM   #3
Mid
Graduate Poster

Yes I'm surprised no protestors have done it before now
Mid is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 06:19 AM   #4
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

still better than the people using lasers to try to blind pilots during landing or takeoff.
Old 20th December 2018, 07:13 AM   #5
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

There is a firm marketing “anti-drone” shotgun shells....
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 07:27 AM   #6
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
There is a firm marketing “anti-drone” shotgun shells....
Apparent the local police have decided against shooting the drone/s* (it's been reported that there were at least two) down, due to worries about where stray bullets might end up.

*Drscribed as "industrial specification," so not just some kids with early Xmas presents.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 20th December 2018 at 07:29 AM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 07:43 AM   #7
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Apparent the local police have decided against shooting the drone/s* (it's been reported that there were at least two) down, due to worries about where stray bullets might end up.

*Drscribed as "industrial specification," so not just some kids with early Xmas presents.
Shotgun pellets would be the answer. They're low velocity to begin with, and low terminal velocity for any individual shot pellet. By the time they come down, it's no worse than having a BB dropped on you.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 07:51 AM   #8
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Shotgun pellets would be the answer. They're low velocity to begin with, and low terminal velocity for any individual shot pellet. By the time they come down, it's no worse than having a BB dropped on you.
I would suspect that range would be the problem. If a drone was close enough to be brought down by a shotgun, it could probably be more safely targeted with a rifle without missing.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 07:53 AM   #9
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Seems like a drone could be designed to take down other drones. Partly manual control and partly automated.

A guy using a gun of some sort might be challenged getting close enough and especially if the offender knows about that kind of defense.
Old 20th December 2018, 08:03 AM   #10
fagin
Philosopher

Bearing in mid that our cops aren't routinely armed, it would need the special armed cop lot to try. And I doubt shooting randomly over built up areas would be approved.
Old 20th December 2018, 08:05 AM   #11
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

I would suspect that range would be the problem. If a drone was close enough to be brought down by a shotgun, it could probably be more safely targeted with a rifle without missing.
Shotguns are commonly used for bird hunting. They have reach...of course, I don't know how high up these were flying.

The rifle is a danger when the bullet comes down, and even if fired at even a small upwards angle can go a loooong way.

And drones aren't exactly hard targets. Any rifle larger than a .22 is probably going to go through, and the bullet has to land somewhere.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 08:06 AM   #12
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Bearing in mid that our cops aren't routinely armed, it would need the special armed cop lot to try. And I doubt shooting randomly over built up areas would be approved.
Yeah, true. But they're shutting down a freaking airport...I'd think judicious shotgun usage would be okay
Old 20th December 2018, 08:06 AM   #13
crescent
Master Poster

We had a thread a year or two ago about combatants in Syria using the little quadcopter drones to drop grenades or modified mortar rounds onto enely positions. There are also lots of videos of people using them to drop water balloons on friends or targets or such.

I wonder if they just need a police-operated drone that just dangles a length of fishing line underneath, with a small weight to keep it hanging down. Just fly over the un-authorized drone and tangle it in the line.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 08:08 AM   #14
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
We had a thread a year or two ago about combatants in Syria using the little quadcopter drones to drop grenades or modified mortar rounds onto enely positions. There are also lots of videos of people using them to drop water balloons on friends or targets or such.

I wonder if they just need a police-operated drone that just dangles a length of fishing line underneath, with a small weight to keep it hanging down. Just fly over the un-authorized drone and tangle it in the line.
There's an idea for a purpose-made solution. I was thinking of more what you could do quick with something that might be (more) readily available.
Old 20th December 2018, 08:17 AM   #15
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Or a pair of drones with a weighted net.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 08:33 AM   #16
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

In the Netherlands, they have trained eagles to catch drones - but close to an airport, that might be a bit risky.
Old 20th December 2018, 08:34 AM   #17
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

The only way to stop a bad guy with a drone is a good guy with a drone.

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 08:38 AM   #18
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Swarms of robot hornets.
Old 20th December 2018, 08:39 AM   #19
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
I shudder to think how much havoc could be wreaked by a few dozen determined activists (of whatever kind) [...]
... or, indeed, anyone who's just one drone short of a full set of bagpipes.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 08:39 AM   #20
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Or a pair of drones with a weighted net.

Dave
The Japanese have tried that.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...-other-drones/

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
In the Netherlands, they have trained eagles to catch drones - but close to an airport, that might be a bit risky.
That project failed, apparently.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/12/...s-rogue-drones

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 08:40 AM   #21
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
The only way to stop a bad guy with a drone is a good guy with a drone.
A good guy with a jammer is probably sufficient. Though mounting the jammer on a drone and having it patrol the boundaries of the airspace might be the best approach. I'd want to look into ground stations and towers as well.

The military is already working on anti-drone countermeasures. There are already prototype anti-drone jamming guns on the civilian market.

I predict that in a few years, the UK will be leading the way in deploying military countermeasures as part of their airport security.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 08:45 AM   #22
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Hey, anyone remember that anti-mosquito laser? The photonic fence, IIRC?

Maybe that could be adapted for drones
Old 20th December 2018, 08:56 AM   #23
Tolls
Illuminator

How good would a drone with a net attached to it be at catching a drone without a net attached to it?

I'm assuming here that the one with the net will be both less manouevrable and slower (by some margin) than the one without.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 09:20 AM   #24
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Sussex police have now requested support from the military...

[BBC News]

Armed forces 'always' ready to help, says defence secretary

Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson has said the armed forces are "always" ready to help the police and will do everything they can to ensure Gatwick opens again as soon as possible.

"Sussex Police have requested assistance and support from the armed forces and we will be deploying the armed forces to give them the help that they need to be able to deal with the situation of the drones at Gatwick Airport," Mr Williamson said.

"It goes to demonstrate how our armed forces are always there ready to support the civilian authorities."

When asked how the armed forces would assist, Mr Williamson responded: "Sadly at this moment it's not something we can actually reveal but the armed forces have a range of unique capabilities and this isn't something we would usually deploy but we are there to assist and do everything we can so that they are in a position to open the airport at the earliest opportunity."

Last edited by Information Analyst; 20th December 2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 20th December 2018, 09:35 AM   #25
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post

Birds of prey would probably try to attack the planes, too. 'Drones stand no chance' as WA's birds of prey defend their skies (WAtoday, March 24, 2018)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 09:39 AM   #26
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
How good would a drone with a net attached to it be at catching a drone without a net attached to it?

I'm assuming here that the one with the net will be both less manouevrable and slower (by some margin) than the one without.
The net could be contained and then dropped or launched.
Old 20th December 2018, 09:56 AM   #27
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Sussex police have now requested support from the military...

[BBC News]

Armed forces 'always' ready to help, says defence secretary

Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson has said the armed forces are "always" ready to help the police and will do everything they can to ensure Gatwick opens again as soon as possible.

"Sussex Police have requested assistance and support from the armed forces and we will be deploying the armed forces to give them the help that they need to be able to deal with the situation of the drones at Gatwick Airport," Mr Williamson said.

"It goes to demonstrate how our armed forces are always there ready to support the civilian authorities."

When asked how the armed forces would assist, Mr Williamson responded: "Sadly at this moment it's not something we can actually reveal but the armed forces have a range of unique capabilities and this isn't something we would usually deploy but we are there to assist and do everything we can so that they are in a position to open the airport at the earliest opportunity."
Looks like I called it.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 10:04 AM   #28
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Taking down a drone with another drone is theoretically possible. It looks great fun too.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 10:14 AM   #29
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Every airport should have powerful cannons that shoot spheres of ice. That way they could smash drones and unwelcome planes from the sky, but leave no litter behind when the projectile melts.
Old 20th December 2018, 10:21 AM   #30
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

There are ECM drone 'killers' available.
Here is an example the 'DroneDefender'

https://www.battelle.org/government-.../dronedefender

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 20th December 2018 at 10:23 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 10:24 AM   #31
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
They should hire this guy:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 20th December 2018, 11:11 AM   #32
Armitage72
Master Poster

A friend in London was planning to fly to France today to spend Christmas with her family. She mentioned online that after an hour and a half delay, her flight was cancelled, and she was on her way to another airport. I'm guessing she was at Gatwick.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 11:26 AM   #33
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Helicopter - Door shotgunner.

A shotgun is the ideal choice for downing the drones, imo.

If they are low enough, from the ground with a 10 gauge duck gun.

Higher up, use the helicopter and door gunner.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 11:36 AM   #34
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Helicopter - Door shotgunner.

A shotgun is the ideal choice for downing the drones, imo.

If they are low enough, from the ground with a 10 gauge duck gun.

Higher up, use the helicopter and door gunner.
Focused jamming seems like a much better idea than blazing away with shotguns.
Old 20th December 2018, 11:58 AM   #35
xjx388
Philosopher

London should have some retired Seekers around. The Ministry should lend a few to Gatwickís security department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20th December 2018, 12:13 PM   #36
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Focused jamming seems like a much better idea than blazing away with shotguns.
Shotguns still seem ideal to me.

The birdshot quickly becomes non-lethal, and you can use non-lead pellets for the environment.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 12:28 PM   #37
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Mid View Post
Yes I'm surprised no protestors have done it before now
Because they require an investment in time and money, and also because you would place the drone at risk every time you deployed it, is why they would be unattractive to the typical protestor.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 12:36 PM   #38
crescent
Master Poster

Stereotypically British:
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
London should have some retired Seekers around.
vs

Stereotypically American
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 01:02 PM   #39
Mid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Because they require an investment in time and money, and also because you would place the drone at risk every time you deployed it, is why they would be unattractive to the typical protestor.
The time cost is obviously there but the price of drones seem not excessive for the return in publicity any action could get. The shut down in Gatwick has dominated UK news today unlike the other recent airport protests
Old 20th December 2018, 01:23 PM   #40
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The birdshot quickly becomes non-lethal, and you can use non-lead pellets for the environment.
Jammer doesn't need a helicopter, nor precision aiming.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events