ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st December 2018, 07:40 PM   #121
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Ban all drones. It's the only way to be sure.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2018, 08:44 PM   #122
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

When drones are outlawed, only outlaws will have drones.
Old 21st December 2018, 08:48 PM   #123
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

BBC reports that two people have been arrested. No details yet.
Old 21st December 2018, 09:00 PM   #124
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
BBC reports that two people have been arrested. No details yet.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-46657505

Apparently they used "The Force" which told them to be "pro-active".

Quote:
The force said "pro-active"...
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2018, 09:11 PM   #125
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Drones don't kill people

People flying drones, while open carrying bump-stocked semi-automatics, while in swimming pools, kill people.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2018, 07:55 AM   #126
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by BBC News
A 47-year-old man and a 54-year-old woman, from Crawley, were arrested in the town at about 22:00 GMT on Friday.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-46657505

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
A middle-aged man and woman have been arrested in connection with the criminal drone activity at Gatwick, as a witness said he saw a cyclist 'frantically' packing away two drones away down a country lane near the airport...

Motorist Paul Motts, 52, said he saw a man wearing hi-vis clothing and crouching over a drone in a country lane near the West Sussex airport on Thursday. Mr Motts said the suspicious man had been trying to 'get away as fast as he could' as Sussex Police combed the countryside to find the drone pilot, The Sun reported...

Mr Motts told the newspaper: 'I was delivering a parcel and drove past a suspicious man in fluorescent cycling gear crouching over a large drone which was all lit up. 'It looked like he was packing the drones away. Two minutes later we turned around and came across him cycling away. 'I expect he wanted to disassemble the drone as quickly as possible and get away as fast as he could.'

The man had been standing over one 4ft drone and another 2ft device, Mr Motts reported...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...k-Airport.html
Old 22nd December 2018, 08:22 AM   #127
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by elgarak View Post
For all these suggested countermeasures, you all forget one thing: Response time.

The drone is spotted. How long then till countermeasures are deployed? If the answer is more than a few seconds, the drone can be zipped away. It's enough to get spotted often enough, and you can force the shutdown.

Countermeasures only work if they work fast and everywhere on the airport all the time. None of the proposals do.

The only one that could, ostensibly, work all the time is jamming. But airplane travel is heavily dependent on wireless signals, and broadcasting to jam will almost certainly interfere with something you do not want to be interfered with. And there's bound to be open frequency windows a clever DIYer could use. As far as I understand real operation, jamming and shutting down airplanes go hand-in-hand.

Really, there's not much you can do right now against this scenario. Just zip around the drone enough to be spotted. Lather, rinse, repeat with multiple people at different areas of the airport, and you can guarantee a shutdown.
If only many people owned and had access to some kind of tool that could down this drone. And had enough experience to do so in a safe manner.

Seriously, think of when people arm a drone next. How many to take up an entire armed response unit in a medium sized town, assuming they have one.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2018, 09:35 AM   #128
baron

Ah, a cyclist. Not content with causing chaos on the roads they've taken to the air.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2018, 12:12 PM   #129
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
A window-fitter with an interest in model airplanes and his 54-year-old wife have been revealed as the suspects arrested over the Gatwick Airport drone mayhem - but his boss claims he was working at the time.

Paul Gait, 47, and his wife Elaine Kirk were arrested last night after three days of chaos at Gatwick left hundreds of thousands of passengers stranded just days before Christmas. Forensic squads are now said to be searching a van outside their home but the probe was thrown into confusion as Mr Gait's boss John Allard said he was at work.

Mr Allard, who runs a double glazing firm in Crowborough, said he could 'account for Paul's movements between the hours of 7am and 5pm last Monday to Friday'. The 47-year-old suspect had been 'part of a three-man team fitting glass doors and windows in the Crowborough area', his employer said...

Speaking to The Telegraph, Mr Allard added: 'He is a reliable family man who has been with me for 17 years and has never given me any problems at all. 'He may have picked up the interest in model flying from me because I've been doing it for 40 years.'...

Seems like Gait could have told police that he was working and not flying a drone(s) and that his boss would confirm that. But then maybe the wife was the drone pilot.
Old 22nd December 2018, 12:21 PM   #130
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Seems like Gait could have told police that he was working and not flying a drone(s) and that his boss would confirm that. But then maybe the wife was the drone pilot.
Or the police have done their usual 'arrest the first person we can think of' routine.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2018, 01:43 PM   #131
Belgian thought
Master Poster

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Ah, a cyclist. Not content with causing chaos on the roads they've taken to the air.
Old 22nd December 2018, 03:31 PM   #132
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Belgian thought View Post

Old 22nd December 2018, 03:54 PM   #133
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Either way they're not paying any road tax!
Old 22nd December 2018, 04:05 PM   #134
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Or the police have done their usual 'arrest the first person we can think of' routine.
I bet you the first person they thought of was half this guy's age and probably not a CoE congregant. This guy has to be at least the third or fourth person the police thought of.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2018, 04:05 PM   #135
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Seriously, why was she arrested? The delivery guy only saw a man. Come to think of it, does Paul Gait even own a bicycle? Hi-vis clothing for a terror attack?
Old 22nd December 2018, 05:16 PM   #136
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I bet you the first person they thought of was half this guy's age and probably not a CoE congregant. This guy has to be at least the third or fourth person the police thought of.
No, just go round and arrest the local weirdo, nerdie drone enthusiast.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2018, 10:31 PM   #137
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Seriously, why was she arrested? The delivery guy only saw a man.
You don't really know that. It's not likely the news article exhaustively describes every detail the delivery man gave to the police.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 05:03 AM   #138
Garrison
Illuminator

And have now apparently released him without charge, but not before the Sunday papers plastered his details all over their front pages.

Gatwick drones pair 'no longer suspects'.

Hopefully any wannabe avengers have caught the latest news.
Old 23rd December 2018, 05:13 AM   #139
fagin
Philosopher

Called it, kind of.

They've been released. Poor guy being at work while it was happening probably made it fairly obvious.

"Sussex Police Detective Chief Superintendent Jason Tingley said: "Both people have fully co-operated with our enquiries and I am satisfied that they are no longer suspects in the drone incidents at Gatwick."

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/pair-arres...112300973.html
Old 23rd December 2018, 05:14 AM   #140
fagin
Philosopher

Ninja'd again. That's what happens when you have a few dozen pages open.
Old 23rd December 2018, 10:19 AM   #141
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Police tell BBC News they “cannot discount the possibility that there may have been no drone at all”

There is no 'available footage' of the drones and police were relying on witness accounts.

Det Ch Supt Jason Tingley said there was "always a possibility that there may not have been any genuine drone activity in the first place", but they were working on a range of information from members of the public, police officers and staff working at Gatwick who had reported otherwise.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46665615
Old 23rd December 2018, 10:41 AM   #142
fagin
Philosopher

W.T. actual F.?
Old 23rd December 2018, 10:44 AM   #143
baron

Police tell BBC News they “cannot discount the possibility that there may have been no drone at all”

There is no 'available footage' of the drones and police were relying on witness accounts.

Det Ch Supt Jason Tingley said there was "always a possibility that there may not have been any genuine drone activity in the first place", but they were working on a range of information from members of the public, police officers and staff working at Gatwick who had reported otherwise.

And yet the BBC posted video of the drone only two days since.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 10:47 AM   #144
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

'Claimed' video of the drone.
Old 23rd December 2018, 10:54 AM   #145
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Originally Posted by fagin View Post
W.T. actual F.?

My guess is, swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

ETA: Or, more likely, a bird.

Last edited by Myriad; 23rd December 2018 at 10:57 AM.
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 10:59 AM   #146
baron

You'd think someone would have checked before Gatwick shut up shop for two days. "No, I never saw no drone, I thought you did!"

I can't say much more about it, the embarrassment factor is too high. If only it had happened in some backwater like Kazakhstan I could laugh freely about it, but this is us, here, in England. Panic, shut-down, disruption; airport security, the army and the police on the case; no drone captured, no culprits arrested and now they're wondering if anything actually happened in the first place. And that's not the worst part. The worst part is that these seismic incompetents will still be in their jobs this time next year and we will be forced to continue to trust them with our safety and the security of our country.
Old 23rd December 2018, 11:07 AM   #147
Mid
Graduate Poster

There were reports of it coming back at fairly regular intervals, weren't there? If it does turn out not to have existed it's a fascinating (and somewhat worrying) insight into group hysteria
Mid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 12:09 PM   #148
crescent
Master Poster

And yet the BBC posted video of the drone only two days since.
Out of focus. Therefore, clearly not a drone because it is Bigfoot.

Bigfoot in inherently out of focus and blurry.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 01:06 PM   #149
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mid View Post
There were reports of it coming back at fairly regular intervals, weren't there? If it does turn out not to have existed it's a fascinating (and somewhat worrying) insight into group hysteria
This is all your fault, Mid!!
Old 23rd December 2018, 01:22 PM   #150
Mid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
This is all your fault, Mid!!
It's all part of my cunning plan for world domination
Mid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 03:18 PM   #151
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Mid View Post
It's all part of my cunning plan for world domination

Phase One seems to be working. No competent resistance.
Old 23rd December 2018, 03:41 PM   #152
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

If the not all sightings are real is true it reminds me a bit of the whole one person says they saw a If ufo suddenly there are 16 witnesses claiming to have seen it too thing.

Kind of a slight cluster... all round really this.

They were under emmense pressure to sort it quickly though
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 04:18 PM   #153
Hungry81
Master Poster

Oh ******* hell. Is Frank Spencer shadow running the UK police force? Jesus H Christ.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 04:28 PM   #154
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Oh ******* hell. Is Frank Spencer shadow running the UK police force? Jesus H Christ.
No one would have believed in the last year of the Brexit insanity that this airport was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than The U.K police force, and yet as incredulously mystified at the bumbling incompetence; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a drone might scrutinise the viability of Idiocracy been a true documentry sent back as a warning from the future..
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 04:44 PM   #155
Elagabalus
Illuminator

But where are the drones?
Send in the drones
Don't bother, they're here ...

And appear to be us!
Old 23rd December 2018, 05:00 PM   #156
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

There is also the report that damaged remains were discovered near the perimeter fence. It may or may not be the drone they're looking for, according to an Inspector K. E. Nobi.
Old 24th December 2018, 02:18 AM   #157
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

This is weird;

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...without-charge

"Confusion deepened as a senior police officer in the case said it was “always a possibility that there may not have been any genuine drone activity in the first place”. DCS Jason Tingley added that although the damaged drone was a significant line of inquiry, wet weather could have washed away evidence. He also noted that there were no pictures or video of the drone incursions into the airspace around Gatwick . He said there was “no available footage and [officers] are relying on witness accounts”.

Tingley later clarified that police did believe the drone sightings were credible as there had been a large number of witnesses. “We are actively investigating sightings of drone activity at Gatwick airport following 67 reports from the evening of 19 December to 21 December from the public, passengers, police officers and staff at the airport,” he said"

I do not see how wet weather could wash away evidence of a drone. It is odd in this day and age there is no footage from the 67 witnesses, most of whom will have mobile phones.

Then this;

"Sussex police said the damaged device had been found near to the north perimeter of the airport and added that they were fast-tracking tests on it to offer any clues as to who had been flying it."

It would be interesting to know if that was inside or outside the geofence around the airport.

Could this be a report of a drone near to the airport, but not actually at the airport and people have seen it as closer than it actually was?
Old 24th December 2018, 02:39 AM   #158
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

The Telegraph now have the headline "Was it all a hoax? Police defend Gatwick drone investigation as they refuse to rule out theory that it never existed"

To be fair, a hoax is one of the possibles and if after an investigation, if that is what happened, then it is what it is. Like the arrest of the couple, the police act on information supplied, which at the time may appear credible, but how accurate it is can only be established after completing an investigation.
Old 24th December 2018, 06:33 AM   #159
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post
There is also the report that damaged remains were discovered near the perimeter fence. It may or may not be the drone they're looking for, according to an Inspector K. E. Nobi.
Did they also check to see if there was a Jedi Master nearby?
Old 24th December 2018, 08:22 AM   #160
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

You'd think someone would have checked before Gatwick shut up shop for two days. "No, I never saw no drone, I thought you did!"

I can't say much more about it, the embarrassment factor is too high. If only it had happened in some backwater like Kazakhstan I could laugh freely about it, but this is us, here, in England. Panic, shut-down, disruption; airport security, the army and the police on the case; no drone captured, no culprits arrested and now they're wondering if anything actually happened in the first place. And that's not the worst part. The worst part is that these seismic incompetents will still be in their jobs this time next year and we will be forced to continue to trust them with our safety and the security of our country.

IMV it is unfair to blame the police, security or the army. The responsibility lies 100% with the airport owners who have a duty to ensure the correct infrastructure is in place.

In a way it is a silver lining that some hobbyist (or protestor) got to penetrate the airport because it has alerted the airport authorities of a gap in airport security, which they will now have to fix. Good job it wasn't a real terrorist.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events