ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th December 2018, 01:57 PM   #201
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Shortly after the drone incident, just over 50% of the shares of Gatwick Aiirport were bought by French company, in effect, giving it control of the Airport (majority shareholder).

Obviously there would have been ongoing discussions.

But, coincidence?

If one was a conspiracy theorist you could suggest perhaps the French were to blame for the disruption, in a dastardly plan to bring the share price right down and thus, the cost of the shares.

Just sayin'.
I couldn't find a graph of the share price across the time of the incident, but seriously (if you are), such a thing should not affect it appreciably. Any airport can suffer a freak incident, and drones could happen anywhere.

So, no, I think not.

Hans
Old 28th December 2018, 03:39 PM   #202
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Did the share prices come down over the period of the 'drone scare' and the share purchase?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 03:57 AM   #203
ohms
Graduate Poster

Gatwick Airport Limited isn't listed on any stock exchanges, it's a private limited company.
Old 29th December 2018, 10:36 AM   #204
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Did the share prices come down over the period of the 'drone scare' and the share purchase?

Vinci Airports didn't just wake up one morning and go "Hey! Gatwick shares are down 'cause of the drone scare. Let's snap up 2.9bn worth.

They have no doubt been in negotiation with GIP (the seller) for a while, and I expect share prices had been agreed on before the drone scare, since the deal was closed in such a short time after it occurred. I expect that the timing was a coincidence. Vinci Airports is inheriting the problem, not profiting from it.

Brexit, however, certainly contributed to sweetening the share price.

Last edited by quadraginta; 29th December 2018 at 10:50 AM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 11:09 AM   #205
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Police say some of the reported drone sightings were of their own drones looking for the mystery drone operators.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 11:38 AM   #206
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Or the police have done their usual 'arrest the first person we can think of' routine.
Yep.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 12:32 PM   #207
Planigale
Master Poster

Following a confirmed photograph of the intruder in to Gatwick airspace

new measures are introduced.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 08:08 AM   #208
TX50
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mid View Post
There were reports of it coming back at fairly regular intervals, weren't there? If it does turn out not to have existed it's a fascinating (and somewhat worrying) insight into group hysteria
Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds.
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 06:56 AM   #209
jeremyp
Muse

Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
I would point out that IMO there are four - and only four - aspects of this whole incident which warrant justifiable criticism:

1) The apparent failure of Government and Parliament to make it a much more serious criminal offence to fly drones in airport airspace,
I take issue with this point. Flying a drone within 1km of an airport in Britain is a criminal offence and carries maximum term of five years in prison. I think it's already pretty serious.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:43 AM   #210
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
Following a confirmed photograph of the intruder in to Gatwick airspace
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/89/fd/7b/8...4ecbeaa653.jpg
new measures are introduced.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/47/4c...c7d4e2d6c2.jpg
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 11:28 AM   #211
Mid
Graduate Poster

And another drone closure this time at Heathrow. Although only for an hour or so:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46803713
Mid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 01:10 PM   #212
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Any pictures or videos?
Old 8th January 2019, 01:25 PM   #213
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

BBC report

Quote:
The Metropolitan Police said they received reports of a drone sighting near Heathrow at about 17:05 GMT.

Before the confirmation flights had resumed, Transport Secretary Chris Grayling said he was in contact with the airport about the drone sighting, and had spoken to the home secretary and defence secretary.

BBC cameraman Martin Roberts said he was driving on the M25 past Heathrow airport at about 17:45 GMT when he saw what he believes was a drone.

"I could see, I'd say around 300 feet up, very bright, stationary flashing red and green lights, over the Harmondsworth area," he said.

"I could tell it was a drone - these things have got quite distinctive lights - not a helicopter.

"The lights were very close together. It was a very clear night and the object was stationary, it was turning very, very slightly. I could see it very clearly, I'd say for about four to five minutes."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46803713
Old 8th January 2019, 03:09 PM   #214
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Very odd.

I would have thought that the red and green lights would be the port and starboard lights on a general aviation aircraft rather than a drone.
Old 8th January 2019, 03:15 PM   #215
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Various statements from the Met Police on the incident

Quote:
Police officers were amongst those who saw the drone and a full criminal investigation has been launched. We are carrying out extensive searches around the Heathrow area to identify any people who may be responsible
Quote:
We are deploying significant resources - both in terms of officers and equipment - to monitor the airspace around Heathrow and to quickly detect and disrupt any illegal drone activity
Quote:
Following today's sighting, military assistance has been implemented to support us.
Quote:
Our priority is to ensure that there is no ongoing threat to the safety of those at the airport and identify those responsible for this dangerous act.
Old 8th January 2019, 03:36 PM   #216
fagin
Philosopher

Only one possibility. Aliens.
Old 8th January 2019, 05:06 PM   #217
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
My faith in the ability of an aviation layman to accurately judge the size, altitude, distance, and speed of an aircraft near an airport at dusk is very very limited.
Old 8th January 2019, 10:19 PM   #218
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
My faith in the ability of an aviation layman to accurately judge the size, altitude, distance, and speed of an aircraft near an airport at dusk is very very limited.
I agree.

Something I've noticed here (I'm very close to an airport).

Often when a helicopter is coming in to land, the tower asks the pilot to hold position to let someone else take priority. Unfortunately the place where they ask the choppers to hold, is almost directly above my house.

If I'm home, I'll often step outside to have a look, because they are pretty close to the ground at this stage (say 500 - 1000 metres).

One day, the pilot was bored, or perhaps giving the passengers a look around while he was waiting, the chopper was slowly rotating on the spot while hanging up there in the sky...

I've asked a couple of pilots about this, and they muttered things about ATCs "taking liberties" "because they can".
Old 10th January 2019, 05:35 PM   #219
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

All major UK airports now have or will soon have military grade anti-drone equipment, the government says.

It comes after the military were called in to help when drone sightings caused delays for around an hour at Heathrow on Tuesday.

Earlier, the defence secretary said it would "not be right" to ask the RAF to respond to similar incidents in future.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46827542
Old 10th January 2019, 06:04 PM   #220
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Very odd.

I would have thought that the red and green lights would be the port and starboard lights on a general aviation aircraft rather than a drone.
One would think; but it also doesn't seem likely that a GA aircraft could hold position in the sky for 5 minutes.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 07:46 PM   #221
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
One would think; but it also doesn't seem likely that a GA aircraft could hold position in the sky for 5 minutes.

Maybe it was being suspended in the air by a bunch of drones.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 08:27 PM   #222
Mumbles
Philosopher

What I find odd...

Companies that make good drones - say, DJI - have maps built into their software that will alert you, or simply refuse to fly at all, if you're anywhere near a no-drone zone. There are problems, in that local communities will often come up with strange restrictions, like "You need a permit to fly in this particular park", and the like - and of course, no flying a large drone directly over some disaster areas. But would it be possible to simply mandate that the manufacturer restrict flights within, say, 5 miles of an airport (and for us US folks, within DC airspace - I assume other countries may have other such restrictions that simply will not change in the foreseeable future)? Yes, there is older tech, and if you use it, it's on you to know what you're doing - but at some level of size/sophistication, isn't it on the manufacturer to ensure that everything goes well?

Yes, there will be some issues caused, but, as a drone flyer, I think safety takes priority over ease of use...
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 09:02 PM   #223
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Oh? Don't you count helicopters as part of general aviation?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events