ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th December 2018, 05:33 AM   #1
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Buying Vape Juice While White

Perhaps our resident team of commenters on doing X while X can explain what is going on here? It meets all the criteria of a doing X while X but perhaps not in the right order.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by bluesjnr; 29th December 2018 at 05:34 AM.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 05:38 AM   #2
baron
Philosopher

He literally needs to be sectioned, he's not fit to be out and about in society let alone working in a store.
Old 29th December 2018, 06:56 AM   #3
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by baron View Post
He literally needs to be sectioned, he's not fit to be out and about in society let alone working in a store.
The person was trespassing. I would be equally upset if someone was trespassing in my presence.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 07:25 AM   #4
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Is there a back story? Did the counter-help whacko just go nuts on him for wearing a Trump shirt? You don't do that **** if you work in retail.... In Georgia.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 07:35 AM   #5
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
The person was trespassing. I would be equally upset if someone was trespassing in my presence.
I wouldn't dream of suggesting you would act any differently.
Old 29th December 2018, 07:36 AM   #6
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I wouldn't dream of suggesting you would act any differently.
Good. Because his behaviour is acceptable.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 08:34 AM   #7
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Is there a back story? Did the counter-help whacko just go nuts on him for wearing a Trump shirt? You don't do that **** if you work in retail.... In Georgia.
That would appear to be the case. From what is shown, the black guy was ahead of him and instead of waiting on him (black guy) he felt it was best to completely lose his freaking mind, including striking the guy recording it all. I'd love to know what happened next, but I guess that'll never be known.
Old 29th December 2018, 09:04 AM   #8
RolandRat
Thinker

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
That would appear to be the case. From what is shown, the black guy was ahead of him and instead of waiting on him (black guy) he felt it was best to completely lose his freaking mind, including striking the guy recording it all. I'd love to know what happened next, but I guess that'll never be known.

I'd like to know what happened first. The guy had been asked to leave the store by the time the video started.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 09:24 AM   #9
Stout
Illuminator

Now that was truly funny, an epic example of Trump Derangement Syndrome.

The shop has done the right thing and fired the shrieking dude Yelp Link
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 09:27 AM   #10
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Epic fail. Next time, you need to find a youtube that features a sympathetic, white protagonist, not someone who presents as an asshat from the word go.
Old 29th December 2018, 10:03 AM   #11
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Epic fail. Next time, you need to find a youtube that features a sympathetic, white protagonist, not someone who presents as an asshat from the word go.
I don't think I've ever experienced a reply from you, to me, which hasn't been in some way acerbic and have to wonder (not that I'd ever assume) what your motivation is?

Can you explain, if you don't mind and care to take the time, why you think the protagonist is an asshat?

Would it be correct of me to deduce that you think the protagonist is deserving of the verbal and physical assault?
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 10:37 AM   #12
pharphis
Graduate Poster

The "protagonist" certainly seems like a bit of a turd but I don't blame him at all given the situation. That's just my impression of his mannerisms, anyway.

edit: glad the employee was fired for that insane behavior

Last edited by pharphis; 29th December 2018 at 10:53 AM.
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 11:10 AM   #13
Thermal
Philosopher

MagaBoy was doing some world-class trolling on SoyBoy. Pushing every button he could find. Pretty sure there was some run-up that, as usual, we don't know. But that level of freak out was prompted by more than just a T-shirt and hat. SoyBoy wouldn't be able to stay out of jail for long if t-shirts set him off like that
Old 29th December 2018, 11:29 AM   #14
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
MagaBoy was doing some world-class trolling on SoyBoy. Pushing every button he could find. Pretty sure there was some run-up that, as usual, we don't know. But that level of freak out was prompted by more than just a T-shirt and hat. SoyBoy wouldn't be able to stay out of jail for long if t-shirts set him off like that
That level of freak out wasn't prompted by a Trump shirt.

For the first 30 seconds of the video, the employee is perfectly rational and polite, at least as polite as one can be while ejecting someone from a store and threatening to call the cops. The person recording the video is also very polite at the beginning. Both are being perfectly reasonable for the first 30 seconds.

We don't know what happened before the video started, so there's no way to judge that. Obviously, there was some sort of confrontation, but we can't infer much about it based on the evidence available to us. We can only say that whatever happened, it resulted in the employee asking the customer to leave. The only thing that I can infer was that both of them believed that they were in the right. At the beginning of the video, both of them seem to act as if they were in control of the situation, and justified in their actions.

The employee freaks out at the point where the customer says, "I am looking forward to releasing this video."

Now, we have to look inside peoples' heads and do some speculation, but it appears to me that the sudden realization that his actions would be made public caused the employee a great deal of anxiety, and he reacted to that anxiety with extreme hostility, i.e. he "freaked out".

I doubt we will learn anything more about this incident, unless someone tried to dig some personal dirt about one or both of the participants. It's a fairly straightforward incident and doesn't need much more explanation. It would be helpful to our understanding to know what prompted the employee to request the customer leave the store, but, regardless of what it was, it's a safe bet that it wouldn't change the outcome. The guy was out of control and talking about a customer's political affiliations. In a corporate environment, that means you're fired.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 12:32 PM   #15
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
That level of freak out wasn't prompted by a Trump shirt.
Says who? The guy recording said, "I have just been asked to leave the store. He greeted me, that was nice, I did find the item that I wanted and the next thing he said was that he'd like me to leave." The ginger loon did not dispute this and simply told him to stop filming. If something else had happened he would have challenged this version of events.

For the first 30 seconds of the video, the employee is perfectly rational and polite, at least as polite as one can be while ejecting someone from a store and threatening to call the cops.
And at 36 seconds, when the guy recording continues being very polite, saying, "I just want to purchase something..." the loon screams, "**** off! **** off! Get the **** out of here! **** off! **** off!" and physically attacks him. So your point is..?

We don't know what happened before the video started
Why are you assuming that someone who would completely lose control of themselves in that way must have been reacting rationally? He's not all there, that's for sure.
Old 29th December 2018, 12:34 PM   #16
baron
Philosopher

I imagine he's done similar things in the past and refused to serve people against whom he's bigoted, the difference being that they were either too polite to challenge him or they didn't film it and upload it to the internet.
Old 29th December 2018, 01:06 PM   #17
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

At a guess, I'd say that "customer" was trolling this guy badly and got EXACTLY the kind of reaction he wanted to film for his MAGA buddies and call it libtard stupidity (see the Yelp comments). That suggests planning, which in turn suggests someone already knew the shop guy was a very brittle type who could react "favourably" to certain types of provocation. So I'm seeing not so much the "rattled libtard versus Trump T-shirt" as it being the "picked on kid at school getting picked on yet again", i.e. deliberately provocative bullying.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 01:18 PM   #18
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
At a guess, I'd say that "customer" was trolling this guy badly and got EXACTLY the kind of reaction he wanted to film for his MAGA buddies and call it libtard stupidity (see the Yelp comments). That suggests planning, which in turn suggests someone already knew the shop guy was a very brittle type who could react "favourably" to certain types of provocation. So I'm seeing not so much the "rattled libtard versus Trump T-shirt" as it being the "picked on kid at school getting picked on yet again", i.e. deliberately provocative bullying.
Old 29th December 2018, 01:43 PM   #19
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Yeah, it is funny. Ace trolling only works when you get a rise out of your target. This one did fer sure. But probably not for the reason you think.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 02:00 PM   #20
Baylor
Philosopher

The screams at 3:09 will haunt my dreams forever. Due to massive hormonal changes and conditioning by the media, it is not uncommon to see that type of damseling from men in the current year.

Last edited by Baylor; 29th December 2018 at 02:02 PM.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 02:02 PM   #21
baron
Philosopher

Yeah, it is funny. Ace trolling only works when you get a rise out of your target. This one did fer sure. But probably not for the reason you think.
What was the reason?
Old 29th December 2018, 02:07 PM   #22
baron
Philosopher

I had to laugh at the fact he's busy screaming that the camera guy is racist on account of his t-shirt, then proceeds to completely ignore a black customer waiting to be served as if he didn't even exist. "Hey, let me treat this black guy like **** on the sidewalk whilst I prove how woke I am!"
Old 29th December 2018, 02:14 PM   #23
sadhatter
Philosopher

Great logic, that the gent who we have on tape acting like that is obviously acting like that for the first time in his life.

One of my favorite sayings " few get caught their first time".

My counter point is that anyone who acts like he does has made a lifelong habit of it, and expected to get away with it due to the odious nature of a shirt.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 02:15 PM   #24
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
I don't think I've ever experienced a reply from you, to me, which hasn't been in some way acerbic and have to wonder (not that I'd ever assume) what your motivation is?

Can you explain, if you don't mind and care to take the time, why you think the protagonist is an asshat?

Would it be correct of me to deduce that you think the protagonist is deserving of the verbal and physical assault?
Maybe he is just trying to give you what you want?
Old 29th December 2018, 02:17 PM   #25
sadhatter
Philosopher

If that is all that it takes to set you off like that, you need to get some meds. "Brittle" folks like that do nothing to help the damaged image the left has at the moment, nor advance any type of liberal goal.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 02:29 PM   #26
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
If that is all that it takes to set you off like that, you need to get some meds. "Brittle" folks like that do nothing to help the damaged image the left has at the moment, nor advance any type of liberal goal.
Exactly retail and possibly customer service are the wrong career choices for him if he is that fragile. Maybe he was having a bad day, but physically assaulting someone is a few steps to far over the line. He should have served the guy and gotten on with life.

Last edited by Hungry81; 29th December 2018 at 02:36 PM.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 02:43 PM   #27
mgidm86
Illuminator

Perhaps our resident team of commenters on doing X while X can explain what is going on here? It meets all the criteria of a doing X while X but perhaps not in the right order.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
I don't give a crap enough to watch. See my response in the equally moronic "shopping while being a black toddler" thread. Pointless posturing and quibbling.
Old 29th December 2018, 02:57 PM   #28
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Great logic, that the gent who we have on tape acting like that is obviously acting like that for the first time in his life.

One of my favorite sayings " few get caught their first time".

My counter point is that anyone who acts like he does has made a lifelong habit of it, and expected to get away with it due to the odious nature of a shirt.
If it was to a significantly lesser degree, I would agree with you. But this was a full-tilt meltdown. SoyBoy doesn't do this on the reg. You can tell because he's still alive. Would a hissy fit from a hippy really scare you? It would make me mentally review assault and self defense laws in my jurisdiction and act accordingly.

I don't think his fit was consistent with a guy who was used to being a hard ass. Looked like his first volley to me. He missed his tofu supplements and had a rare, or first, mental breakdown. It wasn't his usual MO.
Old 29th December 2018, 02:58 PM   #29
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
I don't give a crap enough to watch. See my response in the equally moronic "shopping while being a black toddler" thread. Pointless posturing and quibbling.
Dude, watch it. Its a riot
Old 29th December 2018, 07:20 PM   #30
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

If it was to a significantly lesser degree, I would agree with you. But this was a full-tilt meltdown. SoyBoy doesn't do this on the reg. You can tell because he's still alive. Would a hissy fit from a hippy really scare you? It would make me mentally review assault and self defense laws in my jurisdiction and act accordingly.

I don't think his fit was consistent with a guy who was used to being a hard ass. Looked like his first volley to me. He missed his tofu supplements and had a rare, or first, mental breakdown. It wasn't his usual MO.
Again, we have only Meadmaker's assurance that everything that occurred is on the video. We don't know what, if anything, transpired before the recording commenced. We do know that in a relatively liberal enclave like Atlanta walking around in a Trump shirt is an attempt at attention-gathering. The pre-wig-out may have just been the usually political swing-dickery.

"Why you staring at my shirt?"... assuming Trump Boy initiated it.

"Do you seriously support that racist *******?" ... assuming Soyboy started it.

Some other variation of the above. Another customer could've commented on the shirt. We don't know.

Alternately, it could be 100% on the video. The crucial part is the meltdown. Being trolled or not, you don't lose control like that. I worked in a hippie bookstore in 1969 in New York City. I'd never have even engaged with Nixon-button-wearing customer. Period. You just don't do that **** on the company dime.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 07:43 PM   #31
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Again, we have only Meadmaker's assurance that everything that occurred is on the video.
Reading comprehension fail. I said exactly the opposite.

ETA:

We don't know what happened before the video started,
We don't know what, if anything, transpired before the recording commenced.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 29th December 2018 at 07:45 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 07:58 PM   #32
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Reading comprehension fail. I said exactly the opposite.

ETA:
Oh, yeah??!!!

(Translation: Brainfart. I kinda sorta totally read the opposite of what was written. I'm old and having a nervous breakdown and the dog ate my homework. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

Old 29th December 2018, 07:59 PM   #33
Stout
Illuminator

It doesn't look like we'll be getting anything further from the vape shop seeing as how they've deleted their twitter and facebook accounts so there's nothing left to do now but sit back and wait for the memes.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 08:01 PM   #34
Thermal
Philosopher

Oh, yeah??!!!

(Translation: Brainfart. I kinda sorta totally read the opposite of what was written. I'm old and having a nervous breakdown and the dog ate my homework. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)
Thought you were Thermalling.
Old 29th December 2018, 08:04 PM   #35
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
There's some evidence that MAGA Guy was at least inclined to do a little opportunistic needling. About halfway through the video, it looks like the sales associate has decided to sell MAGA Guy the juice he was looking for, to get him out of the store and avoid the threatened consequences. Then at the register the customer says something like "Capitalism wins again!" which sets the sales associate back to ranting. (MAGA guy then says, "Do my bidding!" but at that point it already was too late to make any difference.)

If I were in a situation like that, and the most important thing on my mind was really to get my wife the nicotine fix she needed "for her health" as quickly as possible, once I'd reached the point where the clerk reluctantly is going to let me buy it after all, I'd shut up. I might (forgive me my human frailty) fire off some gloating parting shot after I had the juice, sales receipt, and change or returned charge card in my hands. Not before.

None of that excuses the associate's bizarre overall behavior. Just pointing out that the customer, depending on whether or not he really only wants to make the purchase, is either a bit of a jerk himself, or a bit dim.
Old 30th December 2018, 09:24 AM   #36
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Maybe he is just trying to give you what you want?
Please tell me what it is I want?
Old 30th December 2018, 09:28 AM   #37
Thermal
Philosopher

Hope its not strawberry vape juice.
Old 30th December 2018, 10:12 AM   #38
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Hope its not strawberry vape juice.
AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
**** YOU!!!
**** YOU!!!
**** YOU!!!
**** YOU!!!
**** YOU!!!
*******************************!!!!!!!!!!
GET OUT OF MY FORUM, ****!!!
AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
****!!!
****!!!
****!!!

Last edited by Mike!; 30th December 2018 at 10:14 AM.
Mike! is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 03:48 PM   #39
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
The screams at 3:09 will haunt my dreams forever. Due to massive hormonal changes and conditioning by the media, it is not uncommon to see that type of damseling from men in the current year.
Might hear it from your president next year.
Old 30th December 2018, 03:50 PM   #40
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Another quote for your signature?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events