ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:53 AM   #41
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 42,882
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Was going to do the same thread straight after with a "2nd" clue but thought me doing two was overkill
What foolmewunz said. Make a contribution or not. Gratuitous posts like this constitutes trolling.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 01:01 AM   #42
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,387
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
What foolmewunz said. Make a contribution or not. Gratuitous posts like this constitutes trolling.
I have made a suggestion three times to avoid this confusion between who are the "racists" claiming all these threads are annoying.

Each time it has been ignored
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 01:03 AM   #43
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 42,882
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I have made a suggestion three times to avoid this confusion between who are the "racists" claiming all these threads are annoying.

Each time it has been ignored
Yes. Rightly

If these threads upset you, just piss off.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 01:07 AM   #44
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 39,628
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I have made a suggestion three times to avoid this confusion between who are the "racists" claiming all these threads are annoying.

Each time it has been ignored
Well, colour me green and call me an artichoke. Apparently no one recalls your suggestion. If it's an administrative one, go suggest it in FMF. That's the proper venue for bitching about stuff that others post that doesn't interest you. There's a long history of such complaints. We got the "Justice" sub-forum from one such discussion. We also split Politics into USA and Non-USA as the result of another.

What we haven't achieved is Can't We Do Away With.... all the Trump threads, all the Hillary threads, all the gun control threads that start out as shooting threads.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 01:07 AM   #45
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,387
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Yes. Rightly

If these threads upset you, just piss off.
Very little "upsets me"

"Quite irritating" however you would be right.

Especially the accusing everyone who find these threads annoying somehow tacitly condoning racism
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 01:10 AM   #46
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,387
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Well, colour me green and call me an artichoke. Apparently no one recalls your suggestion. If it's an administrative one, go suggest it in FMF. That's the proper venue for bitching about stuff that others post that doesn't interest you. There's a long history of such complaints. We got the "Justice" sub-forum from one such discussion. We also split Politics into USA and Non-USA as the result of another.

What we haven't achieved is Can't We Do Away With.... all the Trump threads, all the Hillary threads, all the gun control threads that start out as shooting threads.
Just start a thread like the Mass shooting one called something like

"Examples of racism in the US while black"

All in one place.

No spam

Everyone who wants to discuss, argue, etc each case can
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 01:11 AM   #47
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 42,882
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Very little "upsets me"

"Quite irritating" however you would be right.

Especially the accusing everyone who find these threads annoying somehow tacitly condoning racism
Jeez, it would be great so see posts doing this

I’m not holding my breath.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 01:18 AM   #48
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,387
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Jeez, it would be great so see posts doing this

I’m not holding my breath.
There is one on the first page of the this thread and I haven't even bothered looking further

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Here's what i see as the upside.... people are getting uncomfortable, masked as bored or fed-up.

Good. People who are racist, tilt towards racist sympathies, ignore racism and hope it will go away, run interference for racists because they have other politics in common or are in that ********** "post-racism" I don't see skin color lie.... Deserve To Feel Uncomfortable.


What's the downside? We're not going to claim that this is another "Don't Call Them Deplorables; It'll Come Back to Bite You in the Ass/Arse", are we? Any of the interference runners here willing to claim that they've been converted to being more racist* because the pain-in-the-ass liberal/prog wing is picking on them. Does racism really get a sympathy vote.

*Save your straw. We have at least one such member.
First assumption

What proof is there people sick of these threads are "uncomfortable"?

How does this first assumption with no proof turn into "tilt towards racist sympathies, ignore racism"?
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 01:23 AM   #49
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 42,882
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
There is one on the first page of the this thread and I haven't even bothered looking further



First assumption

What proof is there people sick of these threads are "uncomfortable"?

How does this first assumption with no proof turn into "tilt towards racist sympathies, ignore racism"?
Nonsense. “Uncomfortable” does not equal “annoyed”.

Still, if either uncomfortable or annoyed, ignore these threads. Piss off.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 01:25 AM   #50
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,387
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Nonsense. “Uncomfortable” does not equal “annoyed”.

Still, if either uncomfortable or annoyed, ignore these threads. Piss off.
Is that a

"I could have held my breath"?

As you seem determined to not address my point
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 01:44 AM   #51
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 24,171
Originally Posted by banquetbear View Post
...as a fellow kiwi I'm good with the US racism threads. If you want to start some NZ racism threads I don't think anyone will object.
I think someone probably would .
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 01:53 AM   #52
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 39,628
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
There is one on the first page of the this thread and I haven't even bothered looking further



First assumption

What proof is there people sick of these threads are "uncomfortable"?

How does this first assumption with no proof turn into "tilt towards racist sympathies, ignore racism"?
Oh, we're playing willfully ignorant, now? You could have told me.

First, note that my long list has an "or", not an "and". It changes the meaning considerably.

Second, note that I hang out in US Politics and know the players. The majority of the complainers are conservatives and reactionaries to varying degrees. That's a rather basic observation and would take very little effort for you to correlate before going into "well, not every single one is a racist".
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 02:05 AM   #53
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,387
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Oh, we're playing willfully ignorant, now? You could have told me.

First, note that my long list has an "or", not an "and". It changes the meaning considerably.

Second, note that I hang out in US Politics and know the players. The majority of the complainers are conservatives and reactionaries to varying degrees. That's a rather basic observation and would take very little effort for you to correlate before going into "well, not every single one is a racist".
I'll just let your last posts on this thread speak for themselves.

Including this one funny enough
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 02:14 AM   #54
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,387
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Oh, we're playing willfully ignorant, now? You could have told me.

First, note that my long list has an "or", not an "and". It changes the meaning considerably.

Second, note that I hang out in US Politics and know the players. The majority of the complainers are conservatives and reactionaries to varying degrees. That's a rather basic observation and would take very little effort for you to correlate before going into "well, not every single one is a racist".
Actually no I won't

What do you mean by "complainers"?

Complainers of these threads?

If so you say the majority of them are conservative (I sway btw depending on the situation. The last two elections I voted for my countrys indigenous party, before that conservative and left)

What does this mean or justify?

Are you saying correlation with conservatives means they are all racists?
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 03:35 AM   #55
baron
Philosopher
 
baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,611
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Jeez, it would be great so see posts doing this
Try reading the posts, that's a good start.

And for the record, I am not in the least uncomfortable. Whilst I deride these stupid threads I am more than happy for them to keep on coming so that the far left and the anti-white racists isolate themselves even more from wider public opinion.
__________________
"I am a liar as well as a dwarf!"
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 04:04 AM   #56
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 39,628
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Actually no I won't

What do you mean by "complainers"?

Complainers of these threads?

If so you say the majority of them are conservative (I sway btw depending on the situation. The last two elections I voted for my countrys indigenous party, before that conservative and left)

What does this mean or justify?

Are you saying correlation with conservatives means they are all racists?
You want to keep repeating "racist" but I gave a whole bunch of options, specifically:

> People who are racist
> tilt towards racist sympathies,
> ignore racism and hope it will go away,
> run interference for racists because they have other politics in common
> or are in that ********** "post-racism" I don't see skin color lie....

Now what end of the political spectrum would you place those people on. Progressive? Liberal? The list is one of the criteria for conservative or reactionary.

And if you change the key word(racist and its variations) to "misogynists" or "anti-feminists" or LGBTQ-biased.... Quelle surprise, la! The same group... the conservative to reactionary spectrum... will star in those categories.

Is this new to you?
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 04:16 AM   #57
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire
 
bluesjnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Not where I should be.
Posts: 5,797
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
You want to keep repeating "racist" but I gave a whole bunch of options, specifically:

> People who are racist
> tilt towards racist sympathies,
> ignore racism and hope it will go away,
> run interference for racists because they have other politics in common
> or are in that ********** "post-racism" I don't see skin color lie....

Now what end of the political spectrum would you place those people on. Progressive? Liberal? The list is one of the criteria for conservative or reactionary.

And if you change the key word(racist and its variations) to "misogynists" or "anti-feminists" or LGBTQ-biased.... Quelle surprise, la! The same group... the conservative to reactionary spectrum... will star in those categories.

Is this new to you?
My issue with what you originally wrote is that you insisted that anyone who expressed boredom with or being fed up with these "X while X" threads was "masking" and was, in actual fact, uncomfortable.

Having coddled together that shaky premise you then bundled them into some form of racism.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 04:46 AM   #58
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 39,628
Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
My issue with what you originally wrote is that you insisted that anyone who expressed boredom with or being fed up with these "X while X" threads was "masking" and was, in actual fact, uncomfortable.

Having coddled together that shaky premise you then bundled them into some form of racism.
Actually, I didn't say that, did I? I said "people are getting uncomfortable". I didn't say all people. I then delineated the groups that those people belong to.

So, no, your statement is made of straw. But you're welcome to your own theory as to why raging conservatives and known racist enablers are complaining about these specific threads, and doing so in numerous threads rather than raising the issue with moderation. I think you can find it in the SJW Glossary of terms under "silencing techniques".
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 05:27 AM   #59
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire
 
bluesjnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Not where I should be.
Posts: 5,797
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Actually, I didn't say that, did I? I said "people are getting uncomfortable". I didn't say all people. I then delineated the groups that those people belong to.

So, no, your statement is made of straw. But you're welcome to your own theory as to why raging conservatives and known racist enablers are complaining about these specific threads, and doing so in numerous threads rather than raising the issue with moderation. I think you can find it in the SJW Glossary of terms under "silencing techniques".
You sir, in this instance, are a barefaced liar. It is perfectly clear that the "people" you refer to are all of those whom have expressed boredom or implied/stated that they were fed up with these X while X threads.

In no way did you seek to differentiate between those people and "raging conservatives and known racist enablers".
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 05:56 AM   #60
SuburbanTurkey
Muse
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Boston, USA
Posts: 954
Let's not rush to judgement, this might not be a case of obvious racial discrimination. It might just be a case of workplace retaliation in response to a good faith complaint by an employee. See, not so bad!
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 07:07 AM   #61
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist
 
luchog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 15,047
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Very little "upsets me"

"Quite irritating" however you would be right.

Especially the accusing everyone who find these threads annoying somehow tacitly condoning racism
Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
You sir, in this instance, are a barefaced liar. It is perfectly clear that the "people" you refer to are all of those whom have expressed boredom or implied/stated that they were fed up with these X while X threads.

In no way did you seek to differentiate between those people and "raging conservatives and known racist enablers".

I seem to have been put on ignore by a number of the usual suspects; but I have to say, this sort of thing is quite effectively proving my point.
__________________
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -- Douglas Adams
"The absence of evidence might indeed not be evidence of absence, but it's a pretty good start." -- PhantomWolf
"Let's see the buggers figure that one out." - John Lennon

Last edited by luchog; 2nd January 2019 at 08:49 AM.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 07:35 AM   #62
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 5,937
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Actually, I didn't say that, did I? I said "people are getting uncomfortable". I didn't say all people. I then delineated the groups that those people belong to.

So, no, your statement is made of straw. But you're welcome to your own theory as to why raging conservatives and known racist enablers are complaining about these specific threads, and doing so in numerous threads rather than raising the issue with moderation. I think you can find it in the SJW Glossary of terms under "silencing techniques".
Dude, come off it. The SJW crowd here snidely insinuates that anyone who dares to question the tribal narrative has a swastika tattooed on their ass. Yours truly has had the label thrown at him from everyone from you to admins. And considering my relationship with skins, which has cost me a little blood and altered a good portion of my youth, it still has me staring blankly at the laptop screen some mornings.

There are racist apologetics/excusers out there, even some on this forum. Then there is a whole 'nuther grouping you and others seem to be blind to: people who have as deep or deeper dislike for nazi types as anyone else, yet still find that highly questionable examples of racism are being over-Woked by largely white tumblr-teen posters.

This is not denial. Or excusing. Or any other projection you might have. It's just disagreement. Someone you disagree with need not be the enemy. I really shouldn't need to tell you that, and I'm sure you will insist that you know it, but it's not what your posts reflect.

Racism is rampant and a serious problem in the States. That doesn't mean that every time a neighborhood busybody or sidewalk superintendent calls the police, that it was racially motivated. Us crackers have that happen to us, too. What ends up happening is that a poster like yours truly dooes not change their thoughts or feelings about race or racism from reading these bad examples. We are not made 'uncomfortable' or feigning boredom or whatever tripe you are serving up. Some of us end up distrusting the people who champion them. We think that maybe those who howl about how Woke they are are perhaps not as level headed as we thought. Is that the goal of these discussions?
__________________
"Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anything at all" -Rosencrantz, on Hamlet
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 08:06 AM   #63
Information Analyst
Philosopher
 
Information Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Besźel or Ul Qoma - not sure...
Posts: 8,665
Originally Posted by baron View Post
Where did this information come from? Her co-workers 'thought she was dirty'? What, she received this gift and everybody chorused, "That's because you're dirty, and you're dirty because you're black!"? Does she expect anybody to believe this? Without the facts we have no idea what she received this present.
I wonder how much Molton Brown flogs for in the States? Something like that could easily push the $50 Secret Santa limit.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 08:09 AM   #64
baron
Philosopher
 
baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,611
Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
I wonder how much Molton Brown flogs for in the States? Something like that could easily push the $50 Secret Santa limit.
Oop, 'Brown', you racist you.
__________________
"I am a liar as well as a dwarf!"
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 08:19 AM   #65
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi
 
Hlafordlaes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: State of Flux
Posts: 9,347
I find it extremely easy not to click on threads I am not interested in. Problem, and fake complaints, solved. FTW!
__________________
Driftwood on an empty shore of the sea of meaninglessness. Irrelevant, weightless, inconsequential moment of existential hubris on the fast track to oblivion.
His real name is Count Douchenozzle von Stenchfahrter und Lichtendicks. - shemp
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 08:46 AM   #66
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire
 
bluesjnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Not where I should be.
Posts: 5,797
Originally Posted by luchog View Post
I seem to have been put on ignore by a number of the usual suspect; but I have to say, this sort of thing is quite effectively proving my point.
Are you serious? You think that the post you've quoted proves what?

What do I stand accused of?

Am I a "minimizer" or "denialist" and therefore, according to your letter of law, not really feeling the "outrage fatigue" that I claim? Well, seeing as I haven't claimed outrage, it can't be that.

Neither have I "stridently asserted" that I truly believe things are "exaggerated". So it can't be that.

If you think I'm feeling uncomfortable or embarrassed, by "how widespread the problem is, how pervasive it is, and most tellingly, how increasingly difficult it is to ignore." Then I'd like to see some evidence of that beyond me disagreeing with Foolmewunz in this thread (careful now because I agree with him in another X while X thread).

Given the fact that I, despite being bored of them, still engage in these threads. Doing so in the vain hope that there will be something new brought to the table or some noticeable shift in thinking from either side suggests that I'm not "desperately want[ing] to ignore it, to pretend it doesn't exist, to play like everything is sunshine and flowers and rainbow-puking unicorns. Because that makes [me] more comfortable, lets [me] stay in [my] happy little oblivious world and not have to make the hard choices."

Having just read that again it is nothing more than an ill informed rant. I do need to be educated in matters of race... these threads will not help me attain any level of better understanding at all and your posturing only serves to further distance me and entrench already held views.

You insist that my post disagreeing with Foolmewunz, which you claim proves your point, forces me to "confront the problem of pervasive cultural racism, sexism, LGBTQ-phobia, and so on,"........ wait a minute... wut? I thought we were talking about race here?

Apparently, with certainty it, according to you, follows that I then have to make a choice. I have to "confront the issue and choose a side, which means having to deal with the consequences of that choice. Whatever side I choose, I will have to endure the unpleasant fallout that inevitably results." Well I've got news for you I don't have to do any such thing. I can choose to read and participate in these threads or just read them or even completely ignore them.

Yet you have made sure that even in doing so I'll be guilty of something nefarious, I'll be guilty of "refusing to clearly choose a side, asserting some sort of shiftless neutrality, [which] will not be a safe choice, as I will be branded a coward by both sides, accepted by neither. Worse, (wait for it here comes the finger pointing) my silence acquiesces to whatever the dominant trend happens to be at the moment, whether that's bigotry or acceptance, regardless of how it fits in with my own personal worldview at the moment. So even that refusal has unavoidable negative consequences.

Really? What would those be for me?

So, having covered every base and made a flimsy case for painting everybody, apart from the virtue signalers herein, some form of racist (not unlike Foolmewunz did) you insist that "better, I feel, to try and make it all go away, deny it exists, and live in an increasingly-impossible fantasy world where I can throw around words and phrases like 1"post-racial", 2"post-sexist", 3"it's just a phase/fad", 4"liberal overreach", 5"political correctness gone mad", and 6"trendy bisexual/transgender/queer" as if they actually mean something real, as if they characterize anything in the real world, instead of just being attempts at escapist fantasy and reality-avoidance."

With that the only one who is looking desperate here is you.

Originally Posted by luchog
That is why [Bluesjnr] complains about these Living While Black threads and Living While LGBTQ threads.
No it's not. You are completely and utterly wrong.

Quote:
Because [he is] uncomfortable being confronted with his choices, and forced to accept and acknowledge the consequences of said choices openly and publicly.
My position on race is documented on this forum and having stated it implicitly I have suffered absolutely no consequences of any..... well..... consequence. And people of colour, people of the LGBTQ communities, people of all genders, religious persuasions, minorities etc. etc. continue to interact with me safely, politely and go on about their business. All this despite what you've

I have read (and yes undoubtedly written) some absolute pish on this forum over the years but yours is probably the biggest and longest stream of it I've seen in many a long time.

1Never used that phrase in my life and can't see me doing so any time soon.
2Never used that phrase in my life and can't see me doing so any time soon.
3Yup, used that often when my son was growing up. Now it tends to be used when talking about my 8 month pup.
4Never heard and never used that phrase in my life and can't see me doing so any time soon.
5Mostly used ironically but I think I used it maybe 3 times seriously when I was about 12. You got me.
6Your assumption that I denigrate any minority as a default is off the mark
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 08:56 AM   #67
Seismosaurus
Philosopher
 
Seismosaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 5,682
It's quite understandable that people would be fed up having to read about these things over and over again.

Just imagine how much worse it must be to have to live them over and over again! And without the choice to just ignore it, either.
__________________
Promise of diamonds in eyes of coal
She carries beauty in her soul
Seismosaurus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 09:01 AM   #68
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 15,463
Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
What do I stand accused of?
At this point pretty much just wanting to be angry about something and for some reason I can't wrap my head around choosing "People want to talk about racist incidents" being the thing you've up and decided you just have to have a problem with.

I'm not going bother quoting and going through the rest of your rant line by line because it's a bunch of "I'm totally not doing this and totally not doing that."

Fine. "I believe" button pushed. You aren't doing any of those things.

So, and here's the important part. Then what are you doing? And I want an actual answer.

If people want to talk about racist encounters... why does it bother you that much?

Because you, and several others, don't seem to have an actual point to make in any of this. You all stay in this weird undefined shadow realm where the incidents are either "not really racist incidents because of reasons" or "So obviously racist there's no point in talking about them" or sometimes even both with no rhyme or reason.

And here's the thing. I don't actually think anyone (outside of maybe 1 or 2 exceptions) in this discussion is racist in the sense that I use the term. I'm not a fan of broadening the term racist beyond intention actions and the SJW practical definition of "Not fighting X as much as I think you should is just as bad as being X" for social issues has done tremendous damage to our discourse as a society.

But I'm having such a hard time to figure out what people who keep having problems with these thread's actual objective point is I'm sorting resorting to just assuming it's one of those broad tribalism things where no discussion is neutral so everyone has to have an opinion about everything to score point for their side and I guess "racism is a problem" is point scoring for the Left so the people have to fight it.
__________________
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset, Se7en

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 09:07 AM   #69
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing
 
MRC_Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 21,677
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Okay at this point this threads aren't doing any good.

Regardless of how any one of us feels about it nobody can say that we haven't been over this territory or hope that this thread is going to add some new insight into how any of us think.
Or, you could say that as long as these things happen, such threads are relevant.

Would you prefer we just shrugged and said "**** happens!"?

How would you feel if **** happened to you?

Hans
__________________
If you love life, you must accept the traces it leaves.
MRC_Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 09:10 AM   #70
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing
 
MRC_Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 21,677
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Very little "upsets me"

"Quite irritating" however you would be right.

Especially the accusing everyone who find these threads annoying somehow tacitly condoning racism
Nice. If you are quite irritated, scroll past. No problem.

Hans
__________________
If you love life, you must accept the traces it leaves.
MRC_Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 09:12 AM   #71
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 19,057
Clickbait site baited click, spawns clickbait topic at forum. Facepalm stock photo featured in article. This is so meta.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rawstorysuperoriginalcontent.JPG (47.6 KB, 5 views)
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 09:20 AM   #72
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 15,463
Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Or, you could say that as long as these things happen, such threads are relevant.

Would you prefer we just shrugged and said "**** happens!"?

How would you feel if **** happened to you?

Hans
Calm way the hell down, I'm on your side in this.

But obviously we're not getting through to people with this tactic, it's just making them dig their heels in harder.

Right now our core group complaining about this isn't even arguing racism or talking racism, they just don't like being wrong and for some people "being wrong" starts to be this... separate distinct thing they have to defeat that's separate from the the they are wrong about.

That's why we're a dozen pages into a half dozens where is side is swearing up and done they are not disagreeing with anything... but are still arguing.
__________________
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset, Se7en

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 09:28 AM   #73
autumn1971
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,564
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Maybe "tasteless" isn't a strong enough word to signal disapproval. I certainly didn't intend "tasteless" to excuse the behavior. I meant to imply that the attempt at humor was in bad taste. I also agree that this sort of "joke" is, or is in some cases, bullying. It has always bugged me when people who insult other people hide behind humor as if it were a shield. What is it that they are thinking? "It's ok that I insulted him or harassed him, because I also laughed at him and tried to get others to laugh at him!" No, there's no excuse there.

I subsequently read the linked article. The fact that it was part of a pattern is what might make it lawsuit worthy. I say "might" because we don't know enough about what went on. That's the point of trials, after all, to present both sides of the argument and let some hopefully neutral observers on the jury decided whether one party or the other was aggrieved.


What was in my head when I wrote my first reply was that there is literally no one in the United States who thinks there is such a thing as "whites only" food, or who thinks that one can designate any workplace food as "whites only". Therefore, they must have been joking. And, if it were a single joke, I would say that it was tasteless, but not lawsuit worthy. On the other hand, the plaintiff alleges a pattern of behavior where this sort of "joke" occurs pretty regularly. If she can convince a jury that this sort of thing was a pattern of behavior, and that management failed to take adequate action when they became aware of it, she'll get the damages awarded, and that's not a bad thing.
Your last paragraph is just so wrong it boggles the mind.

It isn’t a joke to millions of rural Americans who refuse to shop for clothes at thrift stores because a ****** might have worn them. Likewise for flatware and glasses.

You aren’t racist, and bless your heart for that.

Your blinders are huge.
__________________
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 09:44 AM   #74
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 5,937
Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Your last paragraph is just so wrong it boggles the mind.

It isn’t a joke to millions of rural Americans who refuse to shop for clothes at thrift stores because a ****** might have worn them. Likewise for flatware and glasses.

You aren’t racist, and bless your heart for that.

Your blinders are huge.
Hey! I remember what that means!
__________________
"Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anything at all" -Rosencrantz, on Hamlet
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 09:53 AM   #75
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire
 
bluesjnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Not where I should be.
Posts: 5,797
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I'm not going bother quoting and going through the rest of your rant line by line because it's a bunch of "I'm totally not doing this and totally not doing that."
Hey! It's not my rant, in fact it doesn't even qualify as a rant, I'm quoting Luchdog in 90% of it, I'm responding to him/her. Play fair.

Quote:
Fine. "I believe" button pushed. You aren't doing any of those things.
Thanks, but you'd be hard pushed to make a case against pushing the "I believe" button. BTW the slight note of condescension has been noted.

Quote:
So, and here's the important part. Then what are you doing? And I want an actual answer.
Back the **** up, you don't get to demand **** all from me. You read my post, yeah? You're answer is right there, plainly stated.

Quote:
If people want to talk about racist encounters... why does it bother you that much?
If I want to talk about what I consider to be a surfeit of LWB....why does it bother you? Please, (there's a word you should learn and use) take a second to let that sink in.

Quote:
Because you, and several others, don't seem to have an actual point to make in any of this. You all stay in this weird undefined shadow realm where the incidents are either "not really racist incidents because of reasons" or "So obviously racist there's no point in talking about them" or sometimes even both with no rhyme or reason.
I don't think I've ever put forward any of those arguments and I know that at least once I've agreed that an incident was racist. Sorry if that's another "I'm totally not doing this and totally not doing that" but what else can I say? You are wrong.

Quote:
And here's the thing. I don't actually think anyone (outside of maybe 1 or 2 exceptions) in this discussion is racist in the sense that I use the term. I'm not a fan of broadening the term racist beyond intention actions and the SJW practical definition of "Not fighting X as much as I think you should is just as bad as being X" for social issues has done tremendous damage to our discourse as a society.
No argument from me here.

Quote:
But I'm having such a hard time to figure out what people who keep having problems with these thread's actual objective point is...
I have to admit that my interjection here has no objective point other than, up to this time, to shine a light on how woke Captain Swoop thinks he is. I evidence this by dint of the sheer number of threads he's started on, ostensibly, the same subject. He is up to double figures now and IMO is borderline spamming with these threads (I considered reporting it). He starts these threads and takes very little part afterwards, making me question his motives. He's not responded to anything in this particular thread for example.

Instead of focusing some intelligent discourse in one place, as Cullenz suggested and got shot down for, it's pulling the conversation all over the place with fights breaking out about whether it's racist etc. Seeing we're being critical, you're not coming out covered in glory across these threads, despite what view you might have of your efforts. In fact, ironically, you come across as extremely intolerant, more-so than, say, me!

Quote:
...I'm sorting resorting to just assuming it's one of those broad tribalism things where no discussion is neutral so everyone has to have an opinion about everything to score point for their side and I guess "racism is a problem" is point scoring for the Left so the people have to fight it.
I'm not a political person and I'm not batting for any side. Labeling people left/right/alt-right is a particularly US phenomenon that's catching on over here unfortunately. I don't have a dog in that fight.

I sincerely hope you are able to figure out what my "problem" is with these threads, as I feel that I have adequately explained my position in this post and the post you refer to in your quote. You and certain others may decide that is not the case, but that would simply be another example of the intolerance shown by those who feel they are the most tolerant.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:00 AM   #76
baron
Philosopher
 
baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,611
Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
It isn’t a joke to millions of rural Americans who refuse to shop for clothes at thrift stores because a ****** might have worn them. Likewise for flatware and glasses.
My neighbour at an old place threw his son's entire wardrobe out of the bedroom window because he discovered some pairs of jeans produced by a company (Joe Bloggs) owned by 'a ******' (the owner in question was not even black, he was Indian). Oddly enough my racist neighbour, whose favourite singer was Diana Ross, went on to save a black man's life at some cost to himself, so I gather his beliefs were not firmly rooted. There's no moral to that story.
__________________
"I am a liar as well as a dwarf!"
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:11 AM   #77
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 15,463
Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
I have to admit that my interjection here has no objective point other than, up to this time, to shine a light on how woke Captain Swoop thinks he is. I evidence this by dint of the sheer number of threads he's started on, ostensibly, the same subject. He is up to double figures now and IMO is borderline spamming with these threads (I considered reporting it). He starts these threads and takes very little part afterwards, making me question his motives. He's not responded to anything in this particular thread for example.
1. Outside of how massively stupid the cutesy-poo term "Woke" (I honestly can't stand it, either used honestly or as a passive aggressive backhanded insulted) is I seriously do not get why demonzing "Being aware of social issues" is really something you want to be doing. When did this become a problem that needs to be fixed?

2. And you know maybe he'll stop creating the threads when we can have one without the same team of "Oh that's not racism because reasons..." posters denying them.

You are acting like people aren't denying that these incidents are valid. The more instances the get brought out that people close their eyes, stick their fingers in their ears and whistle past the wronger they look.

That's the point. We're at this point seeing how long people are going to stand out in the rain pretending they aren't getting wet.
__________________
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset, Se7en

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:21 AM   #78
baron
Philosopher
 
baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,611
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
1. Outside of how massively stupid the cutesy-poo term "Woke" (I honestly can't stand it, either used honestly or as a passive aggressive backhanded insulted) is I seriously do not get why demonzing "Being aware of social issues" is really something you want to be doing. When did this become a problem that needs to be fixed?
Why are the social issues restricted to being black or transgender? When's the last time you saw a thread about LWD (disabled) or LWF (fat) or LWMI (mentally ill) or even just L, because bullying and victimisation can happen to anyone for any reason. Why is it that all we get are inconsequential threads about inconveniences, unresolved law suits, trivial altercations and highly equivocal situations that have no discussion point other than "Either you admit this is racist or you're racist!"
__________________
"I am a liar as well as a dwarf!"
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:30 AM   #79
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire
 
bluesjnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Not where I should be.
Posts: 5,797
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
1. Outside of how massively stupid the cutesy-poo term "Woke" (I honestly can't stand it, either used honestly or as a passive aggressive backhanded insulted) is
Given that it is a political term of African American origin you'd have to take that up with them. Racist!

Quote:
I seriously do not get why demonzing "Being aware of social issues" is really something you want to be doing. When did this become a problem that needs to be fixed?
You are surely joking? This is a very dishonest interpretation of my "Captain Swoop is posting far too many of these posts and diluting the discussion due to this" response. This kind of dishonesty makes me wary of you. You can't be trusted to respond to what I am saying and will only respond to what you want me to be saying. As I've already requested, please play fair.

Quote:
2. And you know maybe he'll stop creating the threads when we can have one without the same team of "Oh that's not racism because reasons..." posters denying them.
Yes they should know their place. Let's see some unquestioning, slavish devotion to the narrative.

Quote:
You are acting like people aren't denying that these incidents are valid. The more instances the get brought out that people close their eyes, stick their fingers in their ears and whistle past the wronger they look.
I cannot for the life of me see where you are getting that from. I cannot think of one post I've made that suggests that some people aren't denying these incidents are valid. Are you sure you are referring to me here?

Quote:
That's the point. We're at this point seeing how long people are going to stand out in the rain pretending they aren't getting wet.
Whilst you'll stand under your virtue umbrella pissing on their shoes for their temerity in wanting to make sure it is actually raining.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:35 AM   #80
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 15,463
Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Yes they should know their place. Let's see some unquestioning, slavish devotion to the narrative.
You know for someone who's entire admitted point is just needling people for being over-"Woke" you seem fine having no real opinion or purpose outside of "You can't tell me what do think."

When something is demonstrably true questioning the narrative stops being Guy Fawkes and starts being Chicken Little.
__________________
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset, Se7en

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:29 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.