ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd January 2019, 01:20 PM   #81
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Yes, I did. While the article implies that "hardcore skinheads" generally listen to genres other than metal, they listen to enough metal to warrant mention, at least according to the writer.

Maybe you're right that they're mythical. I readily admit that I lack domain knowledge. Still, it's interesting there are so many articles that connect skinheads and metal.

I don't see what this has to do with the price of bread.

Argument? I'm sharing observations, not making an argument. Along those lines, here's another observation: Skinhead Metal Music, listing what I assume are skinhead metal bands.
Skinhead music is punk rock. Bands like cocksparrer etc. While their are racist metal bands when one thinks of genre punk is appropriate.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 01:40 PM   #82
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Somewhat ironically, a lot of racists are/were also into Black Metal...

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 02:06 PM   #83
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Back to the actual skinheads in the article, here's some more info on them. Actual vermin. The label boss guy we heard already what kind of music he's into: typical rather primitive Nazi Skin punk/hardcore/Oi/RAC, whatever you want to call it. His girlfriend actually sported a t-shirt, of guess which band? Yup, not Iron Maiden, but Skrewdriver.

Which is the most famous and likely the first Nazi Skin band, who gave them the soundtrack to the partial take-over of the UK skinhead scene a decade after it started with Ska and Reggae. There's an actually very good (dramatic) movie about that overtake, called "This Is England". And what do Skrewdriver sound like?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 02:10 PM   #84
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Back to the actual skinheads in the article, here's some more info on them. Actual vermin. The label boss guy we heard already what kind of music he's into: typical rather primitive Nazi Skin punk/hardcore/Oi/RAC, whatever you want to call it. His girlfriend actually sported a t-shirt, of guess which band? Yup, not Iron Maiden, but Skrewdriver.

Which is the most famous and likely the first Nazi Skin band, who gave them the soundtrack to the partial take-over of the UK skinhead scene a decade after it started with Ska and Reggae. There's an actually very good (dramatic) movie about that overtake, called "This Is England". And what do Skrewdriver sound like?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Funnily enough, Skrewdriver were the first band I thought of when this subject came about, lol. No idea why anyone could like that band, tbh, the music is pure drivel. They got a bit of a nod on the This Is England soundtrack, ironically.

From the article: Video footage shows Nutter being a part of the incident, and he left his ID at the bar. Nutter by name, nutter by nature.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 02:16 PM   #85
deadrose
Illuminator

They like the Nordic metal because it's so white, mostly. A remarkable lot of them consider themselves latter-day Vikings.

One of our friends, whose ancestry is wholly and recently Norwegian, gets a big laugh out of the ones who claim the Scandinavians as the purest of the pure whites. Considering how far and widely they sailed and how many wives, slaves and new comrades-in-arms they came home with, they should have the *most* mixed ancestry in northern Europe.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 02:24 PM   #86
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
They like the Nordic metal because it's so white, mostly. A remarkable lot of them consider themselves latter-day Vikings.

One of our friends, whose ancestry is wholly and recently Norwegian, gets a big laugh out of the ones who claim the Scandinavians as the purest of the pure whites. Considering how far and widely they sailed and how many wives, slaves and new comrades-in-arms they came home with, they should have the *most* mixed ancestry in northern Europe.
I know a lot of people who play in that scene, and they're good people, but a lot of them are ******* crazy, lol. Sid Vicious is the kind of guy who'd have loved a bit of Burzum and good old church-burning party.

Sid was one of McLaren's best assets in terms of flogging the Nazi-related ***** from Westwood's shop. So many early 80's Punks in LA flocked to the swastika as being some kind of "f.u." to their parents and society in general, so it was hard to tell the racists from the misguided kids at certain shows, no doubt.

Sid brought out the worst in a lot of Punk kids, and he didn't even think about what he was doing the majority of the time. Derby Crash was another one who had a massive influence on a lot of kids at the time...though I much prefer Crash's talents to those of Sid's. No surprise they both died very young.

Old 2nd January 2019, 02:34 PM   #87
p0lka
Graduate Poster

My skinhead black mate (coco) got really pissed off when he failed in his application to join the NF.
He wasn't the smartest apple.
(1983'ish)

Last edited by p0lka; 2nd January 2019 at 02:38 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 02:38 PM   #88
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I get that it's inevitable given how music as an artistic expression works but I hate the fact that so much music is seen as "belonging" to this group or that and enjoying said music is seen as tacit membership in said group.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 02:40 PM   #89
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Sid brought out the worst in a lot of Punk kids, and he didn't even think about what he was doing the majority of the time. Derby Crash was another one who had a massive influence on a lot of kids at the time...though I much prefer Crash's talents to those of Sid's. No surprise they both died very young.

Big difference between Sid and Darby, though. Sid vicious was just a dumb kid being used my McLaren to create outrage. Darby Crash was actually a fascist, although not a Nazi, and promoted his own idiosyncratic brand of fascism.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 02:44 PM   #90
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I think still have an Ace of Bases CD in my old CD Binder in my closet left over from the 90s.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/how-90s-...sm-to-america/
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 02:46 PM   #91
baron

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Back to the actual skinheads in the article, here's some more info on them.
Originally Posted by Article
Travis and 3 other men, some active duty as well, drunkenly scoured a homeless encampment until they found their victim and beat him with bats and pipes calling him a “bum” and telling him he was “tresspassing”. The man suffered facial fractures and required 18 stitches in his head. Travis and and one of his codefendants, ex-soldier Matthew MacMurtrie, were given just 90 days (with time served) for the attack.
Perhaps that goes some way to explaining why he thinks he can beat up people at random and get away with it. Filth.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 03:13 PM   #92
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

To be clear, my aim here is to mock people who worship labels...
I'm going to add this to my sig the next time someone explains to me the difference between sub-genre X and sub-genre Y.
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:30 AM   #93
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
Big difference between Sid and Darby, though. Sid vicious was just a dumb kid being used my McLaren to create outrage. Darby Crash was actually a fascist, although not a Nazi, and promoted his own idiosyncratic brand of fascism.
For me, Darby was just one of those kids who enjoys seeing how many people will do what he says and how far they'll go. He loved having an influence on his "inner circle." Gimme a beeyuh!

Sid was just off his rocker.

Old 3rd January 2019, 09:34 AM   #94
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I think still have an Ace of Bases CD in my old CD Binder in my closet left over from the 90s.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/how-90s-...sm-to-america/
To this day, when texting, instead of responding to something like sounds good, I'll always put Ace of Base. Also, "A.C. Slater" replaced "see you later" a long time ago for me.

Old 3rd January 2019, 04:40 PM   #95
Matthew Best
Philosopher

ANL where definitely part of the Hardcore movement, but it was a pretty broad spectrum which blurred between the Punk of the late 70's and the Thrash of the mid-to-late 80's, etc.

Lots of bands ended up growing their hair out and abandoning the Punk elements for more metal sounds/looks, bands like Gang Green, SSD, Cro Mags, etc.
Weirdly, I actually played in the Anti-Nowhere League for a few weeks. They were lovely. I'd call them a punk band and leave it at that, although they did have one of their songs covered by Metallica and veered into heavy rock territory for a while there.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 04:54 PM   #96
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Weirdly, I actually played in the Anti-Nowhere League for a few weeks. They were lovely. I'd call them a punk band and leave it at that, although they did have one of their songs covered by Metallica and veered into heavy rock territory for a while there.
Really? That's pretty interesting!

Yeah, a lot of bands that played through the HC days are/were essentially just Punk bands, though they do get kind of chucked in with the scene. Some bands kind of adapted to the faster sound, but still weren't entirely what you'd call Hardcore, the Ramones were a good example of a band who got faster and faster as time went on, but they were never a Hardcore band. It was all just Punk really, til Oi! and Sham influenced a lot of US kids to get a bit more rowdy.

Metallica and G'n'R had a phase where they did a few Punk covers, the Misfits were a band they both covered live, and I think on a couple of recordings.

Last edited by Gilbert Syndrome; 3rd January 2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 3rd January 2019, 05:05 PM   #97
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Some people on this forum seem to be putting a lot of effort into arguments nobody is actually having.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 05:52 PM   #98
Matthew Best
Philosopher

I strongly disagree.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 06:01 PM   #99
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Really? That's pretty interesting!
Yes! Here's a video of Nick/Animal from the ANL singing the very song with Metallica:

I AGREE
Old 3rd January 2019, 06:57 PM   #100
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

And just to explain how I know the difference between modern skins and older groups, I give you a photo of me from 1979. I'm the one in the middle, if it's not obvious.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=11995

Now I'm going to go cuddle my Symarip vinyl and feel very old.

I see that you were walking like an Egyptian years before it became a fad.

Or is that a hornpipe?

Last edited by quadraginta; 3rd January 2019 at 06:58 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 07:52 PM   #101
deadrose
Illuminator

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I see that you were walking like an Egyptian years before it became a fad.

Or is that a hornpipe?

Good question, I can't remember what I was doing, other than goofing off.

Also G&R's Duff McKagen was a member of several Seattle punk bands, including replacing my ex-boyfriend on drums in the Fartz. There was a lot of cross-pollination between punk and metal in that period, and bands like Motorhead were beloved by both.

This thread may as well evolve into a musical subcultures thread - nobody wants to discuss the original subject, apparently.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 07:18 AM   #102
Thermal
Philosopher

Good question, I can't remember what I was doing, other than goofing off.

Also G&R's Duff McKagen was a member of several Seattle punk bands, including replacing my ex-boyfriend on drums in the Fartz. There was a lot of cross-pollination between punk and metal in that period, and bands like Motorhead were beloved by both.

This thread may as well evolve into a musical subcultures thread - nobody wants to discuss the original subject, apparently.
Let's break that down, shall we?

You started the thread. Your initial posts immediately shifted the topic to music. Ok. A few of 'the usual suspects' weighed in, all obviously condemning this. Childlike Empress opined that these LWB threads were a massive troll and counter troll operation, and you admit that you started the thread to collect data, seeing if (((((deniers)))))) would deny racism here. This was halfway through page one, with one day of posting...New Years Day.

Not picking on you here, but you openly acknowledge that you started a troll thread. It's declared purpose was to bait certain posters for reactions, not to have a discussion. You reached a conclusion which satisfied you in one day, by post 26. One holiday is a pretty short window for posters to comment, no? You say the posts gathered were the data you sought. There were, what, three ((((((deniers)))))) who had posted at that point? Seems pretty targeted data you were shooting for. Extremely focused in scope, no?

So a one-day troll thread directed to bait certain posters, declared openly halfway through page one. This is what some of us have been bitching about for a while: that is the sole purpose of these things. Posturing, trolling, and dogpiling on anyone who criticizes the narrative. Defense Exhibit #1: post #27.

So what do we have to discuss here? Would you like to discuss the data analysis of your troll operation? Opine on how we did, and the conclusions you reached? I posted before post #26 and would like to know how I scored, and if I get a participation medal or something.
Old 4th January 2019, 11:00 AM   #103
deadrose
Illuminator

I wouldn't call it a troll thread, we all post threads to get other people's reactions on a subject. When I realized I wasn't getting much participation or interest (probably due to the holiday) I just went along with the topic change, since it's also a subject that interests me. Topic drift is a thing, and while I hoped for a while that it would swing back to the original topic, I gave in and rode along.

I'm not sitting back here taking notes and gathering data (for one thing, on the rare occasions I have done something like that, I've clearly stated it up front and provided the results). I'm just a person posting things of interest I see, in case other people find them interesting.

ETA: Yes I know what I wrote earlier, it was a lousy choice of wording. Sometimes I write too clinically for my own good.

Last edited by deadrose; 4th January 2019 at 11:06 AM.
Old 4th January 2019, 05:39 PM   #104
Thermal
Philosopher

Ok, fair enough. Now, give me a minute here...Got it. Here you go:

This is not a LWB thread. This OP shows an isolated incident where violent criminals invaded a workplace. LWBs, I have on good authority, are intended to demonstrate the relentless everyday mistreatment of POC. Is this OP suggesting that being attacked by roving bands of white people is a regular occurrence for many black people in the 21st century? If not, I call BS on LWB.
Old 4th January 2019, 06:27 PM   #105
deadrose
Illuminator

It's getting to be a much more common occurrence around here, what with all the right-wing rallies downtown leading to idiotic behavior afterwards. Sometimes it's even amusing, like the one who tried to pick a fight with an African-American guy waiting for the bus. He lost

The incident referred to in the OP took place on "Martyr's Day" when white supremacists gather here to commemorate the death of Robert Jay Matthews in 1984. This year it happened to be the day after James Fields was convicted of murder for driving into a crowd in Virginia.

So yes, roving bands of white people can be a significant problem around here, especially at particular times of year.
Old 4th January 2019, 06:33 PM   #106
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Yes! Here's a video of Nick/Animal from the ANL singing the very song with Metallica:

I AGREE
Nice.
I had their 'we are the league' and 'live in yugoslavia' albums around 1983ish, also had a massive poster of animal on stage that I won off a circus and kept in my wardrobe. My teenage self loved them.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 09:06 PM   #107
Thermal
Philosopher

It's getting to be a much more common occurrence around here, what with all the right-wing rallies downtown leading to idiotic behavior afterwards. Sometimes it's even amusing, like the one who tried to pick a fight with an African-American guy waiting for the bus. He lost

The incident referred to in the OP took place on "Martyr's Day" when white supremacists gather here to commemorate the death of Robert Jay Matthews in 1984. This year it happened to be the day after James Fields was convicted of murder for driving into a crowd in Virginia.

So yes, roving bands of white people can be a significant problem around here, especially at particular times of year.
That's news to me. White supremacists on the Right Coast don't seem to seek out blacks to beat up anymore. That kind of phased out by the '90s. The white power types here seem to fight with white antifa groups, if they fight at all.

How common are race related assaults out your way?
Old 5th January 2019, 03:38 AM   #108
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

The fact that things like this still happen at all is pretty disturbing. I would suspect that there are many non-violent racists for every violent one, so incidents of violence suggest that that are a lot more things going on that are less obvious.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that per capita racially motivated violent attacks are lower now than ever before in the history of the US.

I say "pretty sure" because Steven Pinker covered this topic in his most recent books and I'm going on memory here, but I haven't looked it up recently.

I'd say that the thread validates itself simply on the fact that this incident is newsworthy. Whether or not there's anything to discuss though? I think the thing of interest is the question (whose answer I think I know) of whether or not incidents like this are on the rise, or are declining. If they are on the rise that's very disturbing.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 07:08 AM   #109
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

There doesn't seem to be an awful lot to discuss with regards to the original subject, IMO.

Old 5th January 2019, 07:32 AM   #110
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

In the UK, roving bands of people of every colour can and have been a problem for their communities. There's a lot of muggings, stabbings, shootings, etc, committed by white and black people, on each other, and a lot of it isn't even reported.

There's definitely an issue with racism in the USA, that's clear to see, but I wonder if there's as much interest when it comes to all-round criminal activity that may or not be racially motivated in places such as the UK, or anywhere else, or whether it's only deemed interesting if it backs up a narrative of "us versus them" white/black prejudice.

There's a lot of issues, on both sides of the pond, but for the life of me, I don't see why it's become a peeing contest about who's worse, white or black people, because that's what I think when I see these ongoing threads and arguments; it's almost like a see, I told ya so, blacks/whites are way worse.

Within a 5 mile radius of my home, there's areas where roving gangs of white kids, Somali kids, Asian kids, etc, all cause trouble for other, well-meaning people, and for each other.

What is the ultimate point of these threads, if they're not merely intended to start bickering contests about which colour knobhead is the worst knobhead? Plenty of knobheads out there, and you can see most of them in your local town center on a Friday night.

Old 5th January 2019, 07:46 AM   #111
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Nice.
I had their 'we are the league' and 'live in yugoslavia' albums around 1983ish.
I own both, just sadly not on vinyl.

Old 5th January 2019, 07:52 AM   #112
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Whatever value may or may not exist in the LWB threads, and whatever the motivation might be for the posters who start them, it's a fact that black people have gotten the **** end of the stick in the US historically, and continue to get the **** end in ways that are more subtle.

That's what makes this false equivalence an objectionable, steaming load of BS:
In the UK, roving bands of people of every colour can and have been a problem for their communities. There's a lot of muggings, stabbings, shootings, etc, committed by white and black people, on each other, and a lot of it isn't even reported.

There's definitely an issue with racism in the USA, that's clear to see, but I wonder if there's as much interest when it comes to all-round criminal activity that may or not be racially motivated in places such as the UK, or anywhere else, or whether it's only deemed interesting if it backs up a narrative of "us versus them" white/black prejudice.

There's a lot of issues, on both sides of the pond, but for the life of me, I don't see why it's become a peeing contest about who's worse, white or black people, because that's what I think when I see these ongoing threads and arguments; it's almost like a see, I told ya so, blacks/whites are way worse.

Within a 5 mile radius of my home, there's areas where roving gangs of white kids, Somali kids, Asian kids, etc, all cause trouble for other, well-meaning people, and for each other.

What is the ultimate point of these threads, if they're not merely intended to start bickering contests about which colour knobhead is the worst knobhead? Plenty of knobheads out there, and you can see most of them in your local town center on a Friday night.
Old 5th January 2019, 08:00 AM   #113
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Whatever value may or may not exist in the LWB threads, and whatever the motivation might be for the posters who start them, it's a fact that black people have gotten the **** end of the stick in the US historically, and continue to get the **** end in ways that are more subtle.

That's what makes this false equivalence an objectionable, steaming load of BS:
I've never said that they didn't, though, have I? What I've done, is ask a question as to what the real agenda in these threads is... And as far as I can tell, it's to create a bickering contest because people on here love to bicker about such things, because Trump.

Your outrage at my honest post just highlights this for me. Anyone suggesting that it's not entirely a one-way street with regards to racial prejudice within Western communities is apparently deemed to be a bad person. It's silly, and it's frankly weird.

Old 5th January 2019, 08:07 AM   #114
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I've never said that they didn't, though, have I? What I've done, is ask a question as to what the real agenda in these threads is... And as far as I can tell, it's to create a bickering contest because people on here love to bicker about such things, because Trump.

Your outrage at my honest post just highlights this for me. Anyone suggesting that it's not entirely a one-way street with regards to racial prejudice within Western communities is apparently deemed to be a bad person. It's silly, and it's frankly weird.
Victimized act notwithstanding, that nonsense you wrote may as well have been written by Peter Brimelow.
Old 5th January 2019, 08:22 AM   #115
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Victimized act notwithstanding, that nonsense you wrote may as well have been written by Peter Brimelow.
And your apparent obsession with racism supposedly being denied is Tumblr fare.

Who is actually denying racism here? Racism definitely exists, and it exists among every race on the globe. Yet there's this obsession in America with McRacism, and a constant need to say "hey, look, white people are scum," because, Trump.

What is the ultimate point, the end goal? To hate yourself and win brownie points, go ahead, mate.

Old 5th January 2019, 08:45 AM   #116
baron

For sure, when blacks have it drummed into their heads by certain 'liberals' that they must have the permission of whites to succeed, that if a black makes it in life it's because whites made special provision, and if they fail it's because whites are evil but hey, we all know that, and that the best thing for blacks to do is collect their welfare cheque and mourn their victimhood status whilst being promised their earth by people who only want their votes, this is definitely more subtle than slavery.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 10:17 AM   #117
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by baron View Post
For sure, when blacks have it drummed into their heads by certain 'liberals' that they must have the permission of whites to succeed, that if a black makes it in life it's because whites made special provision, and if they fail it's because whites are evil but hey, we all know that, and that the best thing for blacks to do is collect their welfare cheque and mourn their victimhood status whilst being promised their earth by people who only want their votes, this is definitely more subtle than slavery.
I don't think racism is of any interest to many people on here, only a particular brand of racism. The narrative is that white people are awful, even if they haven't done anything remotely negative to any people of colour, they're still born into privilege, and as such, have no idea how it is to empathize with minorities, and in trying to do so, they offend those minorities through their ignorance.

Every "LWB" (didn't even know what that meant til recently) thread just highlights that there seems to be no actual point, other than to show white people just how truly privileged and ignorant they really are.

What a great way to spend your free time! I'm off to listen to some blues, not that I can relate to any of it, being a silver spoon-sucking cracker and all.

Old 5th January 2019, 11:00 AM   #118
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

And your apparent obsession with racism supposedly being denied is Tumblr fare.
Obsession? Whatever. I've barely participated in these threads.

To be clear, I'm not accusing you of being a racist. I'm not accusing you of being a white nationalist. I don't think you are either. Though I'm not a careful observer of your body of work, I don't recall ever seeing you post something that would lead me to think these things, or even that you lean in that direction.

And I feel the same way now, despite that I stand behind my comments about your post.
Old 5th January 2019, 11:00 AM   #119
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
The fact that things like this still happen at all is pretty disturbing. I would suspect that there are many non-violent racists for every violent one, so incidents of violence suggest that that are a lot more things going on that are less obvious.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that per capita racially motivated violent attacks are lower now than ever before in the history of the US.

I say "pretty sure" because Steven Pinker covered this topic in his most recent books and I'm going on memory here, but I haven't looked it up recently.

I'd say that the thread validates itself simply on the fact that this incident is newsworthy. Whether or not there's anything to discuss though? I think the thing of interest is the question (whose answer I think I know) of whether or not incidents like this are on the rise, or are declining. If they are on the rise that's very disturbing.
Agreed, if they are on the rise it bodes very ill. Seems like Americans are diverse enough in makeup for incidents like the OP to be anomalies. I'd really like to understand the thinking of these types. Seems like they must know they are the 'bad guys'. Do they just relish in that, or are they so disjointed that they really see themselves as soldiering for doing the right thing? The skinheads from my younger days absolutely knew they were freaking evil. Is the current crop of the same school of thought?

The standalone fact that some jerks will always hate people different than them is not so disturbing, though. There have always been such people and there always will. Fortunately, they are the bottom of the cultural barrel and tend to stay there, openly making themselves social outcasts.
Old 5th January 2019, 11:07 AM   #120
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Obsession? Whatever. I've barely participated in these threads.

To be clear, I'm not accusing you of being a racist. I'm not accusing you of being a white nationalist. I don't think you are either. Though I'm not a careful observer of your body of work, I don't recall ever seeing you post something that would lead me to think these things, or even that you lean in that direction.

And I feel the same way now, despite that I stand behind my comments about your post.
Fair play, but with all due respect, I'm not entirely interested in what people think of me on here, it's just an internet forum, and I think people take it, and themselves, way too seriously sometimes.

But my point stands. These threads seem intended to do little more than create drama between two groups of posters. There's no actual well-meaning message to be gleaned from it, no real outcry against bigotry or racism, just a general white people of Trump's America are scum theme.

So? What next? Is this section of the ISF just going to become a "LWB" echo chamber of discontent?

Are there any actual people of colour in here? What's their take on it? Or is this just a bunch of white people whining about themselves?

I don't know, and I don't think anyone else does, either.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events