ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th January 2019, 11:11 AM   #121
Thermal
Philosopher

A nice chunk of the posters in LWB threads identify themselves as white. POC are by and large noticeably absent
Old 5th January 2019, 11:16 AM   #122
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
A nice chunk of the posters in LWB threads identify themselves as white. POC are by and large noticeably absent
Can't say I'm surprised. As I thought, a bunch of white people losing their minds over how bad white people are.

I'd be interested to know how much they actually care about racism, which is definitely a problem across the globe. Are they interested in it, or are they only interested if it's being committed by white people? Ironic that a bunch of white people are talking about "Living While Black," in the first place. I'm sure the black community are touched by this sincere sentiment.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 11:23 AM   #123
Thermal
Philosopher

What pisses me of is racism by people in power. Cops, schools, referees at wrestling matches, etc. Some losers like in the OP are more of a study in lowlife lifestyles
Old 5th January 2019, 11:40 AM   #124
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

What pisses me of is racism by people in power. Cops, schools, referees at wrestling matches, etc. Some losers like in the OP are more of a study in lowlife lifestyles
That's the thing, racism has no particular face, neither does bigotry or ignorance.

Everyone, from all walks of life, from any country, can be a dick.

What baffles me, is this obsession with one particular colour of said dick: the white man.

Yeah, there's a lot of horrible, racist white people out there, certainly in the USA and the UK, and very much beyond. But there's also a lot of horrible, racist black people out there, too, but I see a lot of tumbleweeds blowing about town when anyone dares to mention it.

Why is this?

I guess if the narrative is aren't white folks the worst? then discussing how there's bad people in every walk of life is kind of an uninteresting subject.

So, what is the end goal of these petty internet squabbles starring a bunch of offended white folks?

Is there one?

Is there any room for a discussion about racism in general? Where it comes from, why it still exists, what can be done to change the ignorance of a person who displays racist tendencies?

Or, is this just another Trump's a mess, white people are ignorant echo chamber where everyone tosses in their story about that one time at band-camp some white guy said something terrible?

Forgive my white ignorance, but I'm just trying to figure out what the hell all of this is about and where it ends, though I'm presuming it ends when one section of ISF posters stop posting and the other section get bored and then collect their prize from the ISF trophy cabinet.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 11:57 AM   #125
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
That's the thing, racism has no particular face, neither does bigotry or ignorance.

Everyone, from all walks of life, from any country, can be a dick.

What baffles me, is this obsession with one particular colour of said dick: the white man.

Yeah, there's a lot of horrible, racist white people out there, certainly in the USA and the UK, and very much beyond. But there's also a lot of horrible, racist black people out there, too, but I see a lot of tumbleweeds blowing about town when anyone dares to mention it.

Why is this?

I guess if the narrative is aren't white folks the worst? then discussing how there's bad people in every walk of life is kind of an uninteresting subject.

So, what is the end goal of these petty internet squabbles starring a bunch of offended white folks?

Is there one?

Is there any room for a discussion about racism in general? Where it comes from, why it still exists, what can be done to change the ignorance of a person who displays racist tendencies?

Or, is this just another Trump's a mess, white people are ignorant echo chamber where everyone tosses in their story about that one time at band-camp some white guy said something terrible?

Forgive my white ignorance, but I'm just trying to figure out what the hell all of this is about and where it ends, though I'm presuming it ends when one section of ISF posters stop posting and the other section get bored and then collect their prize from the ISF trophy cabinet.
Yeah, this. This right here.

I thought a skeptics forum would be a perfect place to have a real discussion about subjects like this. But the tumblr crowd is all over it, and posters who have interesting input wisely stay away, lest they be branded with a swastika on their forehead as yours truly has. Which is extra fun considering that my taste in ladies once had me marked as a *******-lover by certain dirtbags like the OP subjects.

But no: attempts at discussion have a few posters lying in wait to beat unenlightened crackers with the Woke Stick.
Old 5th January 2019, 12:37 PM   #126
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Yeah, this. This right here.

I thought a skeptics forum would be a perfect place to have a real discussion about subjects like this. But the tumblr crowd is all over it, and posters who have interesting input wisely stay away, lest they be branded with a swastika on their forehead as yours truly has. Which is extra fun considering that my taste in ladies once had me marked as a *******-lover by certain dirtbags like the OP subjects.

But no: attempts at discussion have a few posters lying in wait to beat unenlightened crackers with the Woke Stick.

It's like a game, one in which people attempt to see who can be the most apologetic about their plight of being white, and who can be the most sympathetic to a group of people whom apparently don't even have a say on this forum (unless there are any black people on here, but have yet to chime in).

Each thread is this: black person unable to live life because of white people

then it's post after post of: "that's so white! How racist! Do you agree?! If you don't then you're the problem!"

No real craps are given about racism itself, it's just a game of tit for tat, mud slinging and bickering among adults on an anonymous internet forum intended for banter about science, scepticism and the likes, yet as you say, it's becoming more of a Tumblr forum filled with halfwits going "white people be like..."

No doubt, the USA has problems, lots of them, likewise so does the UK, believe me! But how do you solve those problems? By tackling racism as a whole, ignorance as a whole, bigotry as a whole, or do we, a group of white people, merely sling mud at those other white folks who be like, all privileged and stuff?

I suggest a change from the "LWB" topics, to "OWW", Offending While White.

I can help my colour no more so than any other kid born anywhere in the world. Yet every day, I'm supposed to feel some sort of guilt for the acts of an obvious group of idiots who share the same skin pigmentation as I do. I mean, really?

Black and white folks can both be ignorant dicks. Black and white folks can both be privileged. Black and white folks can literally get away with murder. Black and white folks can both be rich.

Where's this lead us? Nowhere... I'm just expressing my privileged, white, opinion.

#OffendingWhileWhite

Last edited by Gilbert Syndrome; 5th January 2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 5th January 2019, 01:06 PM   #127
baron

It's like a game, one in which people attempt to see who can be the most apologetic about their plight of being white
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 07:57 AM   #128
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Why is this?

Time for a history lesson, I guess, since some people seem to have failed to learn it:

In the overwhelming majority of Eurosphere, and particularly Anglosphere, countries -- most notably the US, which is where the overwhelming bulk of these incidents are taking place -- white people have for centuries held the overwhelming majority of power, and have established institutions, laws, and policies that have for centuries discriminated against people of colour.

Black people in particular have been subject to a great deal of brutal enslavement and repression, and have been treated like sub-human animals for most of that time. This is particularly true in the US, which is the focus of nearly all LWB threads. That said, none of the other English-speaking countries have any right to boast in this arena.

Yes, it's certainly possible for black people to be racist, and indeed many are. Anti-Asian racism and antisemitism are rampant. However, black people, as well as Asians and First Nations and other minorities, lack the social and political power to express that racism in directly harmful ways. Their racism does vanishingly little to impact the lives and well-being of the white majority.

By contrast, white people have a good deal of power to affect the lives of black and other minority people, backed by long-established cultural norms and political institutions. Many current political structures, laws, and policies were designed to discriminate against black people and other minorities, and discriminatory laws and policies continue to be made and enforced, a notable current example being the rigorous efforts at voter suppression by the decidedly racist Republican Party in many recent US elections.

As we have seen time and time again, specious and minor complaints by white people against black people and other minorities are often expressed and reacted to with highly disproportionate force and stridency. Further, while there are occasionally incidents similar to those reported in the LWB threads affecting white people, such incidents happen to black people at hugely disproportionate rates -- orders of magnitude disproportionate.

For nearly all of recent history, these incidents have been dismissed, denied, and flatly ignored by white mainstream culture. Discrimination, particularly the subtle, easily-deniable cultural racism, has consistently remained unacknowledged and unaddressed by the overwhelming majority of white mainstream culture, and only vigorous and persistent effort by black people in conjunction with a small minority of white people has managed to rein in and compensate for the most egregious discrimination.

Because of all this, it is very difficult for black people to express racism without suffering profound negative consequences, consequences that are rarely ever suffered by white people and their institutions, except in a few token extreme cases.

Thanks to the increasing prevalence of the ability to capture these incidences of racist acts and regulations on undeniable video, and to share them with the world at large with greatly reduced risk of censorship or negative personal consequences to the documentors; he scope of the problem is becoming clearer and less deniable by mainstream society. Consequences for acting on racist principles are also gradually becoming more frequent and appropriate, at least with regards to civilians; it is still extremely rare for law enforcement and other government officials to suffer significant negative consequences for racist actions or expressing racist sentiments.

Of course, that will still not stop the racists, enablers, and ostriches from continuing to deny the existence and scope of the problem of racism, despite the fact that their denials ring increasingly hollow, and become increasingly disingenuous, in the face of the growing body of evidence.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 08:54 AM   #129
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Can't say I'm surprised. As I thought, a bunch of white people losing their minds over how bad white people are.

I'd be interested to know how much they actually care about racism, which is definitely a problem across the globe. Are they interested in it, or are they only interested if it's being committed by white people? Ironic that a bunch of white people are talking about "Living While Black," in the first place. I'm sure the black community are touched by this sincere sentiment.
Under what moral/ethical standard are we supposed to care only about people with the same skin color? Such a standard would be the epitome of racism. Now that's ironic.

To the extent it's true that racism against black people draws more attention than racism against white people, at least I can point to a moral standard. Black people have been on the **** end historically, and remain on the **** end today. I think it's moral to stand up for underdogs. Maybe you don't agree, but it's not absurd, like the racist concept that you're foisting.

I'm bleakly amused that you so glibly accept the highly speculative LWB thread racial participation level, never mind the overall demographics of ISF membership.

Last edited by varwoche; 7th January 2019 at 08:57 AM.
varwoche is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 01:38 PM   #130
baron

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
As we have seen time and time again, specious and minor complaints by white people against black people and other minorities are often expressed and reacted to with highly disproportionate force and stridency.
Really? So on the one hand we have a black guy being asked to leave a coffee shop because he's sitting there ordering nothing, and the story goes around the world; the backlash is so great that the entire chain of stores shuts down nationwide to ensure such a travesty never happens again.

On the other we have a white kid walking home after a game of baseball, gets set upon by a group of blacks he's never met, has his head smashed in, putting him in a coma from which he may never recover, and what's the coverage? Aside from a local news outlet (which appears to be offline or defunct) the media interest in the story is virtually nil.

https://www.13abc.com/content/news/1...502888051.html

https://nbc24.com/news/local/arrest-...ll-bat-assault

Now just imagine if he had been black, and that attacker white. Do you reckon you'd have heard about it then?

EDIT: I see the quote I replied to was addressing something else, it wasn't clear, but my point stands regarding how these allegedly racist events are covered in the media and reacted to by the public.

Last edited by baron; 7th January 2019 at 01:40 PM.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 02:29 PM   #131
carlitos
"más divertido"

That baseball story reminded me of something.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 06:51 AM   #132
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Under what moral/ethical standard are we supposed to care only about people with the same skin color? Such a standard would be the epitome of racism. Now that's ironic.

To the extent it's true that racism against black people draws more attention than racism against white people, at least I can point to a moral standard. Black people have been on the **** end historically, and remain on the **** end today. I think it's moral to stand up for underdogs. Maybe you don't agree, but it's not absurd, like the racist concept that you're foisting.

I'm bleakly amused that you so glibly accept the highly speculative LWB thread racial participation level, never mind the overall demographics of ISF membership.
Who's talking strictly about white people? Racism happens all over the globe, but nobody is actually interested in it, because they're too focused on one aspect of it, and most of the time I think even that focus isn't entirely honest.

Take these boards for instance; where's the overall interest in racism? There is none, it's just a load of us white folks are so bigoted, I hate racism, why are all us white folks so racist and privileged? I mean, the irony is almost funny.

I'm not particularly interested in what amuses you about me, you're merely another member of this anonymous forum who takes their perceived role as some sort of cutting-edge theorist rather seriously, and that's what I find worthy of a chuckle, mate.

My point is, there's no actual point to these threads other than to create more bickering, cos that seems to be the default end-game here.

As far as I can tell, nobody denies that racism happens, or that black people have had a hard time, but it's this dreary pseudo-sympathetic tone that people love to take, to the point where they stereotype themselves as "us white folks," which is hilarious when you consider that these are the same people saying "not all black people are criminals, not all Muslims are terrorists."

Not all white people are responsible for what a few plebs get up to in their down time. But, you still see this slogan of White America, when really, a closer truth would be corrupt America, and the last time I checked, corruption is neither black, nor white.

I don't deny racism, and I can't see many people here who do, so there's little actual point in these LWB threads other than to constantly remind each other that, hey, I'm guilty for something I've not done on the behalf of those that have, aren't us white people scum? I even have a friend who's mixed-race, I'm cultured and stuff.

It's like reading the blog of an 18 year-old vegan "anarchist."

Is there a solution to the issues raised in these threads? Do you personally care if there isn't? I doubt it. It's an echo chamber of white guilt, as far as I can tell, and it seems that being open about saying that labels one as a bigoted "cracker."

Old 8th January 2019, 07:05 AM   #133
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Something I saw recently on Facebook made me laugh, someone had posted an article with the hashtag of White America, and the image accompanying the article was a couple of white young men, in suits, looking to the world like some sort of pampered white devils, and the comments beneath the article were all the same:

This makes me sick #WhiteAmerica

Typical #WhiteAmerica

Blah, blah, blah.

Yet as I soon found out, nobody actually read the bloody article. If they had, they'd have seen that this story wasn't even from America, it was from Swansea, Wales, UK.

It concerned two theater students from university who were arrested for selling a bit of weed. The judge took pity on them, seeing as they had no criminal history and had fallen in with a rough crowd. They were given community orders, and maybe a fine.

The outrage of these white men being given such mild punishments sent this Facebook crowd into a frenzy.

Black people get life for murder and these guys get off cos they had good grammar! #WhiteAmerica

Yeah, cos in the UK, we regularly give people without criminal records life in prison for selling a bit of weed in university.

People are too interested in this narrative that they've created, that they don't give a crap about anything else other than proving this weird point about the world being ran by this fictional "White Man."

racism
/ˈreɪsɪz(ə)m/Submit
noun
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.
"a programme to combat racism"
synonyms: racial discrimination, racialism, racial prejudice/bigotry, xenophobia, chauvinism, bigotry, bias, intolerance; More
the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

It's funny how this definition has somehow been altered to read:

Racism:

When a white person discriminates against a non-white person.

People of all colour are getting ****** over on a daily basis, but most people aren't really arsed about that.

We're all equal, until we're not, apparently.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events