ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 31st December 2018, 11:50 AM   #1
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Selling used games to Gamestop while Transgender

Haven't seen a thread for this one yet, so might as well.

Quote:
A transgender woman launched a furious four-letter tirade and threatened a shop worker after being called "sir" instead of "ma'am".

The customer flew into a rage when she was 'misgendered' at a GameStop store in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-new...clerk-13795054

Video below:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 12:21 PM   #2
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Having seen the video earlier today the problem I have, in complete honesty, is this assertion

"...... stop calling me a man, because quite clearly I am not."
bluesjnr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 01:07 PM   #3
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Having seen the video earlier today the problem I have, in complete honesty, is this assertion

"...... stop calling me a man, because quite clearly I am not."
and 'step outside I'll show you what a man is'. lmao
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 01:26 PM   #4
baron

He definitely shouldn't have called him 'sir'. That's a ******* man, though.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 01:28 PM   #5
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Just call people whatever they want or nothing at all.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 02:24 PM   #6
mgidm86
Philosopher

Start acting like a lady and I'll treat you like one!

How should one know how to address someone? If someone calls you sir and you're trying to look like a woman, that's entirely your fault haha. Work on your wardrobe perhaps?

Not sure what the point of the thread is. Someone behaved badly. Do I feel he/she was mistreated? Of course not, not that I saw. He should probably be arrested.

Everyone is special.

Last edited by mgidm86; 31st December 2018 at 02:26 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 02:42 PM   #7
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Honestly, I'd kind of like to see this, and the vape shop thread merged, then we could have a competition on which trigger happy snowflake maega meltdown does it better.
Old 31st December 2018, 02:49 PM   #8
RolandRat
Thinker

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Just call people whatever they want or nothing at all.
This topic has actually had a bit of impact on my work. A person called in, this person sounded male, so my colleague addressed him as sir. This person took offence at that and is now in the process of litigation. As a result, the staff have to undergo "gender training", problem is management cant agree on a gender neutral pronoun.

How are you supposed to guess what someone wants to identify as from a phone call? Or if you see someone and they look like a man, sound like a man, are you really in the wrong if you address them as a man?
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 04:56 PM   #9
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Start acting like a lady and I'll treat you like one!

How should one know how to address someone? If someone calls you sir and you're trying to look like a woman, that's entirely your fault haha. Work on your wardrobe perhaps?

Not sure what the point of the thread is. Someone behaved badly. Do I feel he/she was mistreated? Of course not, not that I saw. He should probably be arrested.

Everyone is special.
I'd lay money this wouldn't have even happened had the store clerk been the same size as this dude and not some smallish kid.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 06:06 PM   #10
MEequalsIxR
Critical Thinker

When I meet someone I'll almost always ask how to spell the name and usually how they wish to be addressed. It eliminates some of these conflicts I think. At one time I worked with a self made woman but it was not very convincing so it turns out asking was a good idea.

None the less sometimes you would have be psychic to know and you can't always please everyone even if you try.
MEequalsIxR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 06:22 PM   #11
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MEequalsIxR View Post
When I meet someone I'll almost always ask how to spell the name and usually how they wish to be addressed. It eliminates some of these conflicts I think. At one time I worked with a self made woman but it was not very convincing so it turns out asking was a good idea.

None the less sometimes you would have be psychic to know and you can't always please everyone even if you try.
Instead of saying X followed by sir or Ma'am, just say X nicely
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 08:05 PM   #12
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Did he really fly off the handle over a "sir"? I wonder if there was some back story edited from the video?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 09:55 PM   #13
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Is anyone really believing that this person is a true transgender? I don't believe it for a second.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 11:02 PM   #14
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
Is anyone really believing that this person is a true transgender? I don't believe it for a second.
Kind of the reason I haven't commented on it.

It just screams contrived/fake set up.

Even the other "customers" reactions or lack of.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 11:04 PM   #15
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
You are surely not implying s/he is just a creep who likes to go in womens bathrooms?
Old 31st December 2018, 11:10 PM   #16
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
You are surely not implying s/he is just a creep who likes to go in womens bathrooms?
Looks more like some bloke wanting to get in the paper by pretending to be angry in a store and getting his mate to film it
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 02:40 AM   #17
Jimmy9
Scholar

Literally, no. Crossdresser, yes.
Originally Posted by cullenz
Looks more like some bloke wanting to get in the paper by pretending to be angry in a store and getting his mate to film it
I dont believe that at all. Kid was trying to secretly film. The others were in shock and didnt know how to react.

Until they become conscious, they will never rebel.
Jimmy9 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 03:07 AM   #18
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Jimmy9 View Post
Literally, no. Crossdresser, yes.

I dont believe that at all. Kid was trying to secretly film. The others were in shock and didnt know how to react.
Wearing a pair of pink shoes and a handbag is pushing it to be cross dressing

Last edited by cullennz; 1st January 2019 at 03:18 AM.
Old 1st January 2019, 04:02 AM   #19
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I don’t think I’ve ever called someone “sir” in my life.

The customer here is a bully and a jerk, regardless of gender identity.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 04:29 AM   #20
baron

I've seen worse. Many years ago I spoke up for this guy in a club who was being bullied by a group of lads. I was with my GF and I said something like, "Leave it out, he's got enough problems without you making it worse", which, despite me using the wrong pronoun, had the right mix of humour and assertiveness to do the trick. Anyhow, the point is, the guy in question looked almost identical to this one aside from having a Dan Dare chin and a five o'clock shadow. We later marvelled at the balls on that guy, metaphorically speaking, turning up at that particular club dressed in women's clothing. It was one of the roughest places in the north west.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 04:37 AM   #21
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Wearing a pair of pink shoes and a handbag is pushing it to be cross dressing
...and then she said, likely long before the video started, "Call me ma'am.", or possibly just "...ma'am." That should be enough. Continuing to call her "sir" repeatedly after that, as the cashier did, is clearly just being disrespectful. kicking things is taking it too far, of course, but I can see why she'd get increasingly pissed.

Although, this is apparently a Gamestop. I've had a few extremely rude cashiers while shopping there...
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 06:30 AM   #22
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
This topic has actually had a bit of impact on my work. A person called in, this person sounded male, so my colleague addressed him as sir. This person took offence at that and is now in the process of litigation. As a result, the staff have to undergo "gender training", problem is management cant agree on a gender neutral pronoun.

How are you supposed to guess what someone wants to identify as from a phone call? Or if you see someone and they look like a man, sound like a man, are you really in the wrong if you address them as a man?

On what grounds would a UK company possibly face “litigation” for that? There are no legal grounds at all for such litigation. Perhaps the person threatened litigation being a pillock?
Old 1st January 2019, 07:26 AM   #23
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Only as a way to placate an already irate customer. Something started before the film started rolling, or the kid wouldn't have started taping.

My own person thought is that people usually get maddest when informed of their wrongness. They are mad at themselves, but flare up at who pointed out their error.

[/quote]The customer here is a bully and a jerk, regardless of gender identity.[/quote]

Another incident making me note the unbalance of the gender challenged. As mentioned upthread, "He's got enough problems". to which I add "and gender challenge is only one". But chicken vs egg?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 08:46 AM   #24
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Last semester I got called to a sick case, a student had fainted. (Happens all the time, they tend not to eat...)
On arrival, the victim was still “out”, and lying on the floor. A 6’2”, 250 pound black individual in a leather jacket and jeans, and a full beard.

One of the professors approached me and said “she prefers the female pronoun...”

OK..... Fortunately, the individual did not regain consciousness till the FD transporter “her”... So I din’t have to worry about mis-gendering.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 09:13 AM   #25
Kestrel
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post

The intent of gender training is to make certain that if anything goes wrong it will not be the corporation’s fault. The same principle is behind most sexual harassment training.

The training is not intended to solve the problem.
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 09:19 AM   #26
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post

The customer here is a bully and a jerk, regardless of gender identity.
Really? What do Australians say to address a person whose name they don't know?

Let's forget this particular store interaction and use a hypothetical. You're a cashier at a store. The customer buys some stuff. He picks it up, and turns around to walk away, when you look down and realize he has left his credit card on the counter. In America, you would call out, "Excuse me, sir. You forgot your credit card."

Is that just an Americanism? We use "sir", "ma'am", or "miss" frequently when dealing with people we don't know. (I've been around young women, anywhere from 17 to about 24, who are shocked when someone addresses them as "ma'am", when they are accustomed to "miss".) I don't know how frequently I address someone as "sir", but it's common. I don't mean just "not bizarre". I mean it's the customary, ordinary, way of talking to people you don't know. I would assume that cashiers, bank tellers, receptionists, or really anyone who deals with the general public, i.e. strangers with unknown names, would use "sir" and "ma'am" several times per day.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 11:04 AM   #27
pharphis
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

Let's forget this particular store interaction and use a hypothetical. You're a cashier at a store. The customer buys some stuff. He picks it up, and turns around to walk away, when you look down and realize he has left his credit card on the counter. In America, you would call out, "Excuse me, sir. You forgot your credit card."

Is that just an Americanism? We use "sir", "ma'am", or "miss" frequently when dealing with people we don't know. (I've been around young women, anywhere from 17 to about 24, who are shocked when someone addresses them as "ma'am", when they are accustomed to "miss".) I don't know how frequently I address someone as "sir", but it's common. I don't mean just "not bizarre". I mean it's the customary, ordinary, way of talking to people you don't know. I would assume that cashiers, bank tellers, receptionists, or really anyone who deals with the general public, i.e. strangers with unknown names, would use "sir" and "ma'am" several times per day.
This is common in Canada, too (at least ontario)
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 11:19 AM   #28
Information Analyst
Philosopher

In the UK it would be more likely to be just, "Excuse me, you forgot your credit card."
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 11:25 AM   #29
baron

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
In the UK it would be more likely to be just, "Excuse me, you forgot your credit card."
More likely, "Oi! Mate!" and when you looked round they'd be waving the card in the air with a harassed expression.
Old 2nd January 2019, 04:42 AM   #30
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

The things retail workers have to put up with.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 06:06 AM   #31
Shepherd
Critical Thinker

I think the top five I get called here (in Tennessee) are "sugar," "honey," "sweetie," "dear," and "darlin'." Are there any offensive ones in that list?! I can't keep up with this stuff.

Last edited by Shepherd; 2nd January 2019 at 06:07 AM.
Shepherd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 06:27 AM   #32
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

More likely, "Oi! Mate!" and when you looked round they'd be waving the card in the air with a harassed expression.
True.

A quick-witted cashier could glance at the name on the card. Mine says "Mr <initials><surname>" though I think that format's unusual nowadays. The beard would be a clue too.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 06:32 AM   #33
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
I think the top five I get called here (in Tennessee) are "sugar," "honey," "sweetie," "dear," and "darlin'." Are there any offensive ones in that list?! I can't keep up with this stuff.
I'm guessing that those operate like the usual "pet" used in Northeast England; okay for every situation *except* a male cashier and male customer.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 06:41 AM   #34
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
The things retail workers have to put up with.
Ahh yes, retail hell.

When i was a young man, I worked as a cashier at a pretzel shop in a mall.

Some lady gave me a hard time because I called her ma'am. Apparently she was too young to be a "ma'am" and was upset I didn't call her miss. My experience is that some people are just looking for reasons to be pissed off, and retail workers are an easy outlet, being a captive audience.
Old 2nd January 2019, 06:49 AM   #35
TX50
Graduate Poster

That may well have been the hundredth time that week that he'd been "misgendered". The poor schmuck in the toy shop there might just have been the last straw.
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 06:59 AM   #36
Shepherd
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
I'm guessing that those operate like the usual "pet" used in Northeast England; okay for every situation *except* a male cashier and male customer.
Yeah. When posting that I was even thinking, "Wait, what do the male cashiers call me?" and then, "Wait, do we even have any male cashiers?" ...lol

I don't get out much, but from my experience it seems that men could be way under-represented as cashiers here. ...or for some reason they just don't register with me.
Shepherd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 07:39 AM   #37
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TX50 View Post
That may well have been the hundredth time that week that he'd been "misgendered". The poor schmuck in the toy shop there might just have been the last straw.
These transgenders and their gender appropriation. Who do they think they are?
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 07:51 AM   #38
baron

Originally Posted by TX50 View Post
That may well have been the hundredth time that week that he'd been "misgendered".
Looking at him I reckon that's a conservative estimate.
Old 2nd January 2019, 08:19 AM   #39
Thermal
Philosopher

Here in NJ USA, every male is called 'sir' in retail places and whatnot. Annoying as hell. Graybeard workers are calling teens 'sir'. I personally find it passive-agressively snotty, like saying 'I'm being phony polite to you because I have to'.

One of the best baristas I ever saw read people beautifully, and addressed them in kind. There was a family in line ahead of me, and he quickly scanned them, smiled at the grandpa, and said 'Good morning, sir! What can I get for you and your family today?' And the man seemed pleased with the greeting. When I was up, I expected the same sunny bull. Instead he scanned me and said 'Sup, man'. Dude knew how to make people feel comfortable.
Old 2nd January 2019, 08:55 AM   #40
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Looking at him I reckon that's a conservative estimate.
I shouldn't laugh ............but I did.
bluesjnr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events