ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd January 2019, 06:09 AM   #81
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Can anyone tell me how, without asking, I tell the difference between a pre transition transsexual who would like to be called 'Miss' and a transvestite who just thinks he looks good in a frock and would like to be called 'Sir'?
Ask.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 06:21 AM   #82
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Can anyone tell me how, without asking, I tell the difference between a pre transition transsexual who would like to be called 'Miss' and a transvestite who just thinks he looks good in a frock and would like to be called 'Sir'?
Just don't say sir or miss.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 06:25 AM   #83
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

This mythological world where everyone is walking around asking people how they want to be addressed before talking to them for even the simplest and quickest of basic social interactions is an insane pipe dream.

We need defaults we can... default to in society. That concept isn't evil.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 06:53 AM   #84
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
This mythological world where everyone is walking around asking people how they want to be addressed before talking to them for even the simplest and quickest of basic social interactions is an insane pipe dream.

Yes it is
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 06:58 AM   #85
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Yes it is
How so?
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 07:02 AM   #86
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
How so?
The answer is a derail.
Old 3rd January 2019, 08:32 AM   #87
baron

It's not a insane pipe dream, it's just insane.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:04 AM   #88
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

The answer is a derail.
No it isn't.

(You're it!)

Last edited by bluesjnr; 3rd January 2019 at 10:06 AM.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:09 AM   #89
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

His it?

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:12 AM   #90
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
No it isn't.

(Your it!)
Agree to disagree
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:13 AM   #91
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Misspelling of Furry I think. Might be better off remaining ignorant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom

What is the personal pronoun you should use about a Furry - Nazi or otherwise? It???
It's interesting that the majority of furries are atheists or agnostics: Furry fandom: Sociological aspects (Wikipedia):
Quote:
Religion: 54% of furries self-identified as atheist or agnostic, 23% as Christian, 4% as Pagan, 2% as Wiccan, and the remainder identified with other religions.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:33 AM   #92
Fizil
Muse

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
In my (admittedly limited) experience, trans people will, if you make a mistake, either go about their business, or if it's going to be a long interaction will correct gently, and as long as you accept it, they're fine.
This is my experience as well. Admittedly my experience is also pretty limited (most people's is, which is why the push toward gender neutral language/new pronouns will probably never be successful: you aren't changing the usage of a closed class of words like English pronouns if people rarely have reason to use the change). However the few trans people I've known generally don't care much about mis-gendering in the first place. What they don't like is people who are clearly doing it maliciously: people going out of their way to mis-gender, using pronouns as a sort of pseudo-slur.
Fizil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:37 AM   #93
baron

Originally Posted by dann View Post
What is the personal pronoun you should use about a Furry - Nazi or otherwise?
Just address them as Mein Fuhrrer.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:39 AM   #94
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I still have some difficulty with the "transgendered" label. Why even claim it? I don't really care what you were -- I only care what you are (or prefer to be identified as). The "T" goes both ways and doesn't help at all.

His it?
How do you know how this person identifies???
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:42 AM   #95
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
But what's more likely in this case:

1)She was enraged the first time the cashier called her "sir", and the camera just coincidentally started right after the first time;

2) the cashier (and possibly the other customer) had repeatedly called her "sir", despite her increasingly angry objections, and the video starts after she's become outraged?

In my (admittedly limited) experience, trans people will, if you make a mistake, either go about their business, or if it's going to be a long interaction will correct gently, and as long as you accept it, they're fine.
I can't tell you, I only know what we all know from the video.

My issue is, the cashier isn't going to know what this person chooses to identify as, and he's serving many many people throughout the day, so he's not expecting to have to think on the spot about whether or not this person identifies as being a man or a woman. Some people dress in all manner of ways, I know men who wear make-up but aren't gay and are male through and through, so it's not always easy to tell. I also know women who dress quite boyish, but aren't gay, though some are.

The cashier, no doubt, is just wanting to ring up yet another customer and get on with the day, and isn't focusing on what gender a person feels they identify with.

I understand the frustration from the person identifying as being a woman, but at the end of the day, you don't fly off the handle. People get my name wrong all the time in work, I just smile and get on with it cos there's more to life and my job is hectic enough as it is.

Mistakes are easy to make, I think that's obvious. We all make them. IMHO, I don't think the cashier was going out of their way to annoy this transgender person, because he's more likely just watching the clock and praying for the end of his shift, lol.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:46 AM   #96
baron

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I still have some difficulty with the "transgendered" label. Why even claim it? I don't really care what you were -- I only care what you are (or prefer to be identified as). The "T" goes both ways and doesn't help at all.
I don't know either. Some of them seem to be rabid about berating people who refer to their previous gender, then demand they use a pronoun that encompasses that very information. My position is simple; the options are he or she, I don't much care which you choose but if you think I'm going to make a cock of myself with zees and sees and wees and geegees then you've another think coming.
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:48 AM   #97
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Ask.
Tbf, I certainly wouldn't be asking every potential trans person I saw whether they wanted to be called sir or miss. I'd rather just avoid calling them either of the two, I'd rather call the person by his or her name.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:50 AM   #98
Whip
Graduate Poster

but apparently biology is.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:52 AM   #99
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

I tend to agree, and IMHO, asking someone whether they'd like to be called sir or miss could be another potential minefield of social awkwardness if the person is just a bloke who likes to dress a bit effeminately or vice versa.

Imagine meeting Eddie Izzard and not knowing who he was, "sir or miss?" At least he'd laugh about it.

Old 3rd January 2019, 09:52 AM   #100
bytewizard
Graduate Poster

Just say "Greetings, fellow citizen". Wait, I guess not.
Is "How are you today?" acceptable?
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:56 AM   #101
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
Just say "Greetings, fellow citizen".
Then again, they could be awaiting citizenship and think you're rubbing your citizenship in by referring to them as a citizen.

I still think "mate" and "love" work wonders. Anyone can be your mate, regardless of gender.

Old 3rd January 2019, 10:10 AM   #102
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It never became as big of a thing, but I'm reminded of this weird period we went through (might have just been in my region I don't know) when I was growing up where the whole Miss/Ms/Missus thing came back for a little bit and there was this backlash against. Even with a "neutral" choice in there you couldn't win. Sure 99% of women didn't give two craps (hell probably didn't even notice to give a crap and wouldn't if they did), but enough married/unmarried women still got angry at the non-marriage specific greeting or vice versa to make it risk.

And besides everyone damn well knows that if we introduced a "neutral" salutation it's going to be the "Happy Holidays" fight all over again times 10. Neutrality doesn't work when one party is angry at the neutrality.

And listen I want to do what I can to help people. But at a certain point sometimes I just have to do what's going to cause me the least amount of goddamn drama in my daily life. You want to be the first person to call a MAGA hated Trumper "Xe" or whatever and get his reaction, knock yourself out. I don't have it in me anymore.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:47 AM   #103
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Ask.

Not a viable answer given the wording of the question.

It's really very difficult to ask "Excuse me, are you a man or a woman?". I would also suspect that some would take offense even at the question.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:53 AM   #104
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Then again, they could be awaiting citizenship and think you're rubbing your citizenship in by referring to them as a citizen.

I still think "mate" and "love" work wonders. Anyone can be your mate, regardless of gender.

'Mate' is okay, for interactions that aren't acrimonious.

'Love', or, more likely, 'Luv' can be a bit dangerous, some will view it as condescending. As a general rule, the further south you are, the more likely 'Luv' will cause offense.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:59 AM   #105
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

"Do you prefer ma'am or sir?"

"I prefer to complete this transaction and be on my way. Call me whatever makes that happen soonest."

"Here's your change. Enjoy your game. Have a nice day."

"Thanks, you too."

ETA: Apparently it's a typically Californian trait, to make business transactions as terse and functional as possible. I don't know about that, but I do know that when I'm at the register, I'm laser-focused on completing the few steps necessary to be done, with ideally zero nonessential activity. Idle chitchat? Making conversation? Boop to that. Finding out my preferred pronoun seems like a complete waste of time. I don't care. You don't care. Just take my money and give me my receipt. Say whatever you want, as long as I don't have to pay attention to it and it doesn't slow you down.

Anyone who comes to the register looking to have their preferred pronouns respected is doing it wrong, in my opinion. Preferred pronouns are completely irrelevant to the intended outcome. Unless the intended outcome isn't actually exchanging money for goods and services. In which case, you shouldn't be at the register in the first place. See "doing it wrong" above.

Last edited by theprestige; 3rd January 2019 at 11:05 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:00 AM   #106
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Not a viable answer given the wording of the question.

It's really very difficult to ask "Excuse me, are you a man or a woman?". I would also suspect that some would take offense even at the question.
Yes, which is why you don't ask using those difficult words. It may sound awkward at first but that's just training (and probably long exposure to lowest-common-denominator English through TV and popular media); something like, "how would you like me to address you?" would never fail.

However, unless you do that with literally everyone you meet (not very likely), the issue could arise during a "oh, you forgot your card" type scenario as being discussed.

It's kind of interesting to me because a few months back, I was going to go full out and put in gender neutral pronouns in my sig here at ISF and begin to use them regularly just to begin to acclimate myself to every day usage.

I think it's still a good idea and this thread is a good reminder that the neutral pronoun concept has been a struggle for hundreds of years now. Kinda like the US and metric; we need to just get on with it and not be afraid of change.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:02 AM   #107
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Haven't seen a thread for this one yet, so might as well.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-new...clerk-13795054

Video below:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Once again, the irony meter explodes when a guy who sounds like a guy, acts like a ******* Alpha Male ******* saying thins such as "************, lets go outside and settle this!!" (which is the kind of thing you never hear a girl say), expects to be treated like a lady. Reminds me of the famous Tv interview where a Transwoman got offended by Ben Shapiro and once again, made physical threats, telling him he's gonna go home in an ambulance, etc. Again, typical alpha male language you never hear from a woman.

This isn't even about being treated like a specific gender. This is an issue of demanding to be respected when you behave in the uttermost disrespectful way.

Girl, guy, it, whatever: That person is a ******* antisocial *******.

Carl Sagan

Last edited by Ron_Tomkins; 3rd January 2019 at 11:05 AM.
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:06 AM   #108
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
Just say "Greetings, fellow citizen". Wait, I guess not.
Is "How are you today?" acceptable?
Maybe if you're in Orwell's 1984

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:17 AM   #109
Shepherd
Critical Thinker

After having watched Breaking Bad, I really struggle to not just call everyone "bitch,"... ...uhm... ...erhm... ...bitches. It did seem to be used in a gender neutral way in the show, however. So, it does have that going for it, I suppose.
Shepherd is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:19 AM   #110
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by dann View Post
It's interesting that the majority of furries are atheists or agnostics:
It makes sense if they ever read Leviticus.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:20 AM   #111
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
After having watched Breaking Bad, I really struggle to not just call everyone "bitch,"... ...uhm... ...erhm... ...bitches. It did seem to be used in a gender neutral way in the show, however. So, it does have that going for it, I suppose.
I was gonna link Fred Armisen's "Riley Sketch" but all I could find was this poorly filmed short clip. I wonder if they took it down because too many people were getting offended by that word

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Carl Sagan
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:23 PM   #112
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

I
How do you know how this person identifies???
I suppose I should have been more careful with that joke in this thread. My comment wasn't meant to be about how to identify transgendered people at all. I was merely making fun of the mistaken "your" vs "you're" vs "you are" in the post ahead of mine.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:38 PM   #113
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

On my last trip to Florida, I got called "Boss" a few times (not disrespectfully). I understand this may be second nature for former prisoners, but these varied people didn't appear to be fresh out of the clink.

I think it works.

I suppose I should have been more careful with that joke in this thread. My comment wasn't meant to be about how to identify transgendered people at all. I was merely making fun of the mistaken "your" vs "you're" vs "you are" in the post ahead of mine.
I did get that... I guess mine didn't work as well as I thought, either.
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:42 PM   #114
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

I did get that... I guess mine didn't work as well as I thought, either.
Don't worry. I realized you could be joking. But still, I realized my earlier post could easily be interpreted improperly. Especially since I didn't quote.

Old 3rd January 2019, 12:43 PM   #115
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The answer is a derail.
A discussion of default pronouns in a thread about an incident involving default pronouns is literally the opposite of a derail.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:47 PM   #116
Drewbot
Philosopher

I think we'll find out that this is fake, or a set up.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:50 PM   #117
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Fake in what sense, though?

The complainer isn't actually trans at all, just a confrontation junkie portraying fake outrage?
Old 3rd January 2019, 01:16 PM   #118
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Not bad acting if fake. I mean, no academy award or anything but better than some professionals I've seen.

The overall look does seem to be that s/he is not exactly embracing a female persona. Looks more like a guy faking it.
Old 3rd January 2019, 01:34 PM   #119
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Fake in what sense, though?

The complainer isn't actually trans at all, just a confrontation junkie portraying fake outrage?
I could go with roid rage.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 02:08 PM   #120
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
A discussion of default pronouns in a thread about an incident involving default pronouns is literally the opposite of a derail.
Why my criteria of evil differs from a more common view is a derail.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events