ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th January 2019, 10:53 AM   #161
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
Z

This reminded me of an event many years ago

One time I was on a job (as an apprentice) and just meandering around waiting to get in the tool crib ...

The Foreman comes up to me and says "How are you today" .. so I said "Fine thank-you how are you" .. and he went into a tirade (I still remember his words)

"I didn't walk all the way across the ******* turbine floor to enquire about your ******* health ... do you have some kind of productive ******* work you can be doing!"

IDK why but I still think that's so funny
My God, you're right. That is so outrageous and ridiculous, it's just pure hilarity. Are you sure you weren't inside a Monty Python sketch?

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 11:16 AM   #162
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
My God, you're right. That is so outrageous and ridiculous, it's just pure hilarity. Are you sure you weren't inside a Monty Python sketch?
I'm curious what you goal is in posting comment like this, the "smiley" tagged on the end is insincere, but I'm sure you meant it that way ... I feel your only intent is to bully me ... but why?

How does that benefit you or the other members on the forum?
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 11:21 AM   #163
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Totally agree. My problem with this incident in the OP is that these days, people dress in all manners, and act in all manners, guessing how a person identifies on a whim isn't always easy.

In hindsight, I'm sure the clerk may have addressed him as a "she," I don't know. The clerk clearly didn't think anything of it.

Funnily enough, where I'm from, I call everyone either "mate" or "love," sometimes I've gotten them mixed up, lol, but it's not an insult, it's just a mistake. I've said "thanks, mate," to a few women, accidentally, but luckily they understood my mistake.

Plenty of men wear make-up and dress effeminately, but they still identify as men. So there's an obviously blurred line here.
This was my thought, I had a friend at university who would very occasionally decide to go out in a dress, he actually looked pretty similar actually. He never self identified as a guy.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 11:23 AM   #164
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I absolutely think we should, as a society, develop and encourage the use of non-gendered language.

I also think it will make absolutely no difference to the overall issue because some; not all, not most, probably not even many, but enough so it isn't statistically meaningless, of transgender people would just go on to demand another distinction so they are still "special."
Go talk to the French first. They'll gender a table.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 11:29 AM   #165
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Hispanics, too. Although they occasionally admit that even they, as native speakers, forget if something is an 'el'or 'la'. They'll drag out an 'esteeeee' when they don't remember
Old 5th January 2019, 11:49 AM   #166
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

This was my thought, I had a friend at university who would very occasionally decide to go out in a dress, he actually looked pretty similar actually. He never self identified as a guy.
Same here, I have a couple of gay friends who wear make-up and dress rather flamboyantly on occasion, but they're not trans and they don't identify as being female, they're just blokes who're into blokes and like wearing feminine things, I guess.

If I referred to my gay mate as a "she," he'd laugh at me and tell me to sod off.

Even if a person identifies with being the opposite sex, does it mean that they have an inability to accept anyone stating otherwise, however trivial and lacking in cruelty it may be?

Is it down to each and every person to be careful about what they say or is it down to each and every person to show some dignity and just get on with it?

If a person calls me by the wrong name, do I fly off the handle, or do I just laugh and politely correct them?

It's a minefield of nonsense, all of this business.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 01:20 PM   #167
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I don't think so.

Is the unwritten statement following on from this "And everyone wants to be the same as everyone else?"

Some people don't find 'because that's the way everyone else does it' to be a convincing argument.
No further comments.

Hans
Old 5th January 2019, 04:05 PM   #168
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I actually want to return to this for a minute because it brings up an interesting point.

How the hell does this work, if at all, in other languages?

*And yes I'm aware of the distinction and difference between "Grammatical Gender" and the kind of gender language we're talking about.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 08:58 PM   #169
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

I'm curious what you goal is in posting comment like this, the "smiley" tagged on the end is insincere, but I'm sure you meant it that way ... I feel your only intent is to bully me ... but why?

Wow.... paranoid much, fella?
I wasn't being ironic. I was sympathizing with you because I'm on your side in that issue. At least I thought I was. Now that you're behaving like a paranoid jerk, I'm not sure anymore.

Carl Sagan

Last edited by Ron_Tomkins; 5th January 2019 at 09:00 PM.
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 11:28 PM   #170
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
Wow.... paranoid much, fella?
I wasn't being ironic. I was sympathizing with you because I'm on your side in that issue. At least I thought I was. Now that you're behaving like a paranoid jerk, I'm not sure anymore.
I think you mis-spelled "you're right, sorry about being a dick".

Really weak denial, Ron!

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 12:20 AM   #171
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Part of manners is making everyone feel comfortable, so I eliminate confusion and anxiety on the part of others by insisting they refer to me as "Your Excellency" at all times. "Would Your Excellency care to supersize the chicken combo?" and "I trust Your Excellency will enjoy these fifteen-dollar sneakers" and "Excuse me, Your Excellency, but your fly is unzipped". Dignity. Gravitas. Deportment. These are the cornerstones of building our most Excellent selves.
Old 6th January 2019, 01:58 AM   #172
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

I wouldn't worry, he has a somewhat challenging view on what constitutes hilarity. Want proof of this? Watch one of his "hilarious" videos.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 06:20 AM   #173
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
I wouldn't worry, he has a somewhat challenging view on what constitutes hilarity. Want proof of this? Watch one of his "hilarious" videos.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Still a better love story than Harry Potter.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 06:27 AM   #174
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I think you mis-spelled "you're right, sorry about being a dick".

Really weak denial, Ron!
So what are you psychic or merely able to be empathic remotely.... empsyathic? I didn't get the sense that he was being mean. But thats the thing we all know about mesaage boards, it's hard to get context regarding the emotional intent of posts. So I'm inclined to take him at his word and my original impression that it was an expression of sympathy rather than sarcasam.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 07:42 AM   #175
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Then don't ask.

See how simple that is? You see or have to interact with a person who's blurred the lines amongst genders. You going to assume one or the other? Why not assume neither and just avoid using direct forms of address.

"Hi there, may I help you?"
"Will that be cash or charge, then?"
"You want fries with that?"
"Good morning, what can I do for you?"

I could go through several dozen such lines. No where do you need to throw in the superfluous and gratuitous Sir or Ma'am.
Thank god everyone thinks the same way as you do.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 07:46 AM   #176
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I don't think so.

Is the unwritten statement following on from this "And everyone wants to be the same as everyone else?"

Some people don't find 'because that's the way everyone else does it' to be a convincing argument.
When driving, do you trust stop lights? By this I mean do you drive as if red lights will cause people to stop?

If so, you are not really following your line of logic.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 08:39 AM   #177
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I still have some difficulty with the "transgendered" label. Why even claim it? I don't really care what you were -- I only care what you are (or prefer to be identified as). The "T" goes both ways and doesn't help at all.

How do you know how this person identifies???
What's not to get.

You must recognize and respect a trans persons struggle and give up all entitlements to opinions on it as you are not trans. In addition to this you must become good enough to recognize a trans person on sight and their preferred gender (asking is often seen as very rude) , but also not see a trans person as different from their preferred gender.

Pretty simple really, just learn the nuances of a tony subculture while denying there are any nuances making said subculture any different.
Old 6th January 2019, 08:55 AM   #178
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Thank god everyone thinks the same way as you do.
Yep. It took a lot of work, but you're all falling in line. Thanks for your continued support.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 08:59 AM   #179
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post

I AGREE

I would say the point of that show is to be challenging, so that makes sense

Carl Sagan
Old 7th January 2019, 09:03 AM   #180
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Hispanics, too. Although they occasionally admit that even they, as native speakers, forget if something is an 'el'or 'la'. They'll drag out an 'esteeeee' when they don't remember
The morons at Splinter News and associated sites have started using "Latinx" to avoid gender-specificity when they refer to Latino/a folks. It's about as irritating as their frequent grammar / spelling errors.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 09:54 AM   #181
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm still waiting for it to catch on in spoken English.

"As a proud La-Tinx -"

"I'm sorry, a what?"
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 06:54 AM   #182
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Just call people whatever they want or nothing at all.
Why?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 07:01 AM   #183
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Why?
I don't know, perhaps he believes taxonomy is theft?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events