ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:13 AM   #1
Shepherd
Critical Thinker

Worried your crystal meth contains the Zika virus?

A Louisiana police department will test that for you!

https://kdvr.com/2018/12/31/louisian...he-zika-virus/

With all these recent stories about corrupt cops, it's really nice to see that we still have some who just want to protect and serve.
Shepherd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 02:25 AM   #2
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Fortunately, the level of my crystal meth intake makes me 100% certain I won't get the Zika virus through that vector.

Seriously, you can't see this is a highly amateur sting operation?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 04:10 AM   #3
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Worried your crystal meth contains the Zika virus?

Nah. No worries mate.

I scan everything with Norton's and AVG Free before I open it up.

Old 2nd January 2019, 04:31 AM   #4
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Fortunately, the level of my crystal meth intake makes me 100% certain I won't get the Zika virus through that vector.

Hilited: I kinda think that's the underlying theme of his post and the thread. Notice that unlike efforts to curb AIDS by offering druggies free works and advice on how to keep needles clean (chlorine bleach), they make no mention of the usual big city LEO disclaimer.... "We do not condone system abuse but are concerned for the general welfare. No one availing themselves of this program will be required to give ID nor will they be investigated. We want to prevent the spread of a disease."

With no such disclaimer, yeah, it reads like a variation of numerous stings used to lure in various scofflaws.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 05:14 PM   #5
mgidm86
Illuminator

Shouldn't have warned them
Old 2nd January 2019, 07:12 PM   #6
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Shouldn't have warned them
Heh, heh! 'Cuz "dead" is like all sort of funny, right?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 08:40 PM   #7
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
With all these recent stories about corrupt cops, it's really nice to see that we still have some who just want to protect and serve.
Totally restores my faith in the po-po!
Old 3rd January 2019, 08:50 AM   #8
carlitos
"más divertido"

Maybe they could offer free Saints tickets to encourage people to get their Meth tested.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.4546a5cac6ef
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 01:07 PM   #9
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
It is not. It's a social media meme that is at least two years old, beginning in early 2016 around the time that the news cycle was covering the first identified Zika virus cases in the US. A few police departments' Facebook and Twitter accounts posted this "offer" to test illicit drugs for Zika contamination; and since law enforcement agency accounts tend to follow each other, the "offer" began to spread as a meme, albeit not a particularly viral one.

Certainly the police will be happy to arrest anyone who brings them illegal drugs, and I think it was even reported that a couple of individuals may have "fallen for" the posts; but the number of times that actually happened, nationwide, can probably be counted on one hand. It is simply a joke, not an actual sting operation.

Here is a similar one, a "trap" set to catch marijuana users.

Last edited by Checkmite; 3rd January 2019 at 01:09 PM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 07:38 PM   #10
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
It is not. It's a social media meme that is at least two years old, beginning in early 2016 around the time that the news cycle was covering the first identified Zika virus cases in the US. A few police departments' Facebook and Twitter accounts posted this "offer" to test illicit drugs for Zika contamination; and since law enforcement agency accounts tend to follow each other, the "offer" began to spread as a meme, albeit not a particularly viral one.

Certainly the police will be happy to arrest anyone who brings them illegal drugs, and I think it was even reported that a couple of individuals may have "fallen for" the posts; but the number of times that actually happened, nationwide, can probably be counted on one hand. It is simply a joke, not an actual sting operation.

If they are joking, a tweet would have sufficed. They followed up with postings on the department's website and interviews with news gatherers.

The sting has actually worked but not with something as blatant as "turn in your illegal drugs for testing". What has worked is in rounding up scofflaws. You have a last-known-address for people who've jumped bail or not shown up for court or stopped paying child support. They mail them that they've been randomly selected as finalists to win a new.... flatscreen, iPhone, whatever... And when the person at that last-known-address miraculously remembers where to find Tina and Tony Scofflaw, they greedily show up to claim their winnings. After verifying their ID, they're summarily arrested.

Pre-Youtube there were a number of news and current even show segments about such operations in several corners of the US. Unlike the dubious "drug inspecting" ploys there's not a remote chance that it's entrapment. You're not enticing them to get involved in something illegal.

Old 3rd January 2019, 07:49 PM   #11
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post

On second glance, it looks to be even more ridiculous than I originally thought. Perhaps I should have put the words "highly amateur" in quotes to indicate my utter sarcasm.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 01:31 AM   #12
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
The sting has actually worked but not with something as blatant as "turn in your illegal drugs for testing". What has worked is in rounding up scofflaws. You have a last-known-address for people who've jumped bail or not shown up for court or stopped paying child support. They mail them that they've been randomly selected as finalists to win a new.... flatscreen, iPhone, whatever... And when the person at that last-known-address miraculously remembers where to find Tina and Tony Scofflaw, they greedily show up to claim their winnings. After verifying their ID, they're summarily arrested.

Pre-Youtube there were a number of news and current even show segments about such operations in several corners of the US. Unlike the dubious "drug inspecting" ploys there's not a remote chance that it's entrapment. You're not enticing them to get involved in something illegal.
That particular kind of setup is much much older than the Zika meme, and can more properly be called a "sting operation"; because they usually set up undercover officers and stage a location to get "prize seekers" inside where they can be arrested.

Maybe they gave interviews to the local news after the Zika joke was noticed, but it IS a joke; they're not actually expecting to catch anyone with this warning.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events