ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:04 PM   #1
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

China lands on the far side of the moon

Pretty cool

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/02/h...ntl/index.html
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:37 PM   #2
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

How did they fit all of China in that little rocket?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:51 PM   #3
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I thought the Russians managed to land on the far side back in the 60's.

Though not on the far side yet, I'm reminded of a little clipping I've long saved, from a little underground paper called The Realist, in 1966, reporting on a N.Y.. Times article thus:

Quote:
Moscow -Dec. 26 - Luna 13, the latest Soviet research station on the moon, attempted to drive a rod into the moon's surface.

I've heard it suggested for years in the most urgent terms, but I never thought I'd live to see the day when somebody actually took a flying **** at the moon.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:11 PM   #4
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by bruto View Post

Though not on the far side yet, I'm reminded of a little clipping I've long saved, from a little underground paper called The Realist, in 1966, reporting on a N.Y.. Times article thus:
It wasn't with a rover.
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:27 AM   #5
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Cue Pink Floyd...
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:29 AM   #6
EHocking
Philosopher

Wish You Were Here?
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 01:52 AM   #7
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Congratulations to China's movie industry !
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 04:58 AM   #8
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Cue Pink Floyd...
So far I haven't heard any newsers refer to the landing area as the "dark side" yet but I know it's only a matter of uh, Time.
Old 3rd January 2019, 05:38 AM   #9
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
So far I haven't heard any newsers refer to the landing area as the "dark side" yet but I know it's only a matter of uh, Time.
They referred to it as the dark side on BBC R4 but the expert pointed out that the far side gets just as much sun as the side facing us.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 05:41 AM   #10
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

I wonder if this will prompt the US to ramp up their space exploration efforts. (Wounldn't want to be upstaged by China and all that)
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 05:51 AM   #11
azzthom
Muse

Originally Posted by The Sparrow View Post
I wonder if this will prompt the US to ramp up their space exploration efforts. (Wounldn't want to be upstaged by China and all that)
NASA are quite busy at the moment with Ultima Thule and Bennu. Their position as leaders in the exploration of the solar system is safe for now.
azzthom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 06:25 AM   #12
sts60
Illuminator

Congratulations to the Chinese scientists, engineers, and technicians who made this happen. It’s an impressive accomplishment.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 06:54 AM   #13
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
They referred to it as the dark side on BBC R4 but the expert pointed out that the far side gets just as much sun as the side facing us.
Very slightly more, in fact, if you consider lunar eclipses.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 06:55 AM   #14
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, I knew it wouldn't be long... (FOX News)
It's amusing (yet depressing) to read the comments where people actually correct the headline, and are "corrected" themselves.

(and I sure as hell know they aren't referring to "radio dark", even though that is a major reason for this operation)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capturemoondark.jpg (42.8 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by alfaniner; 3rd January 2019 at 06:56 AM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 01:19 PM   #15
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Excellent. Here is some background about the names they gave to the components of the mission. Pretty cool!
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 01:45 PM   #16
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It wasn't with a rover.
What wasn't a rover?

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 02:03 PM   #17
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Maybe you're thinking photos? That would have been 1959, not 60's.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 02:03 PM   #18
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Landing on the Moon, even the far side, is hardly an "upstage" of US space exploration efforts. Quite the opposite: China will have a lot more ramping up to do, to get from this landing to the current state of US space exploration.

I'm not sure you thought this one through.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 02:17 PM   #19
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
In the UK the Daily Mail and Express screwed that one. Unsurprising given the quality of their science correspondents and sub-editors.

Actually the near-side is the 'darker' side as it has a greater area of maria (the dark volcanic regions).

Last edited by Mikemcc; 3rd January 2019 at 02:28 PM.
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 02:23 PM   #20
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Landing on the Moon, even the far side, is hardly an "upstage" of US space exploration efforts. Quite the opposite: China will have a lot more ramping up to do, to get from this landing to the current state of US space exploration.

Actually using other satellites to relay the data is a new kink. They were only beaten by NASA by a few weeks using two cubesats to relay the Insight landing data. The Chinese have a long duration link though that will be needed for this mission.
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 02:39 PM   #21
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

Yes, meanwhile 6.5 billion km away NASA’s New Horizon is taking pictures of a Kuiper belt object. Just one of about a half dozen amazing missions they have going on right now.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 3rd January 2019 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Space is big. Really big. You may think its a long way to the chemist but that’s peanuts to space.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 02:46 PM   #22
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Billion.

Old 3rd January 2019, 02:48 PM   #23
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mikemcc View Post
Actually using other satellites to relay the data is a new kink. They were only beaten by NASA by a few weeks using two cubesats to relay the Insight landing data. The Chinese have a long duration link though that will be needed for this mission.
But relay satellites themselves are not novel. Landing on the moon is not novel. Orbiting the moon is not novel. Orbiting comms relays are not novel. Putting those three things together in this particular configuration is novel, but not very. It's not like NASA is slapping their foreheads and saying "dang, if only we'd thought of this, we could have been doing all that important Moon science on the far side, instead of wasting our time on Mars and in the outer system!"

ETA: This is awkward. The Chinese have achieved something significant here, and using a satellite relay to run the mission is a new thing that they deserve a lot of credit for. Nothing I'm saying is an attempt diminish their noteworthy accomplishment. Go China!

I am, however, strongly disputing The Sparrow's idea that this landing somehow "upstages" US space exploration. That seems to be a very narrow and naive understanding of the history of human space exploration, and its current achievements.

Last edited by theprestige; 3rd January 2019 at 02:51 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 02:50 PM   #24
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Billion.
Thanks.
Old 3rd January 2019, 03:50 PM   #25
EHocking
Philosopher

Billion.
and billions.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 04:01 PM   #26
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
and billions.
Old 3rd January 2019, 04:32 PM   #27
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

What wasn't a rover?
Your question is oddly worded.

However, I'm wrong anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...estrial_bodies
Old 3rd January 2019, 04:35 PM   #28
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Your question is oddly worded.

However, I'm wrong anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...estrial_bodies
Oh, OK. Thanks for that link. I had earlier thought there might have been some unintentional crash landings on the far side but couldn't find a link. Your link shows Ranger 4 was an unintentional crash landing on the far side.

Old 3rd January 2019, 05:45 PM   #29
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
How did they fit all of China in that little rocket?

The All-Rice-No-KFC diet... it does wonders for the waistline.
Old 3rd January 2019, 06:13 PM   #30
Prometheus
Acolyte of Víđarr

Not only will our space program not be upstaged, but Mexico will pay for it too!
Don't be offended. I'm not calling you a serial killer. -- Ron Tomkins.
Prometheus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 07:16 PM   #31
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe you're thinking photos? That would have been 1959, not 60's.
Yes, with a little belated research, I see that the Russians did not actually land on the far side. I think they were the first to get pictures there, but they did not land.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 08:05 PM   #32
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Manned?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:47 PM   #33
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Manned?
I don't think so.

Old 3rd January 2019, 11:51 PM   #34
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Not only will our space program not be upstaged, but Mexico will pay for it too!
e.g., Wall-E
Old 4th January 2019, 06:34 AM   #35
Speedskater
Thinker

How many satellites (all nations) are orbiting the Moon right now?
Speedskater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 07:11 AM   #36
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
How many satellites (all nations) are orbiting the Moon right now?
Apparently approximately 11 ... this wiki list was updated June 2018 and docent include China's most recent relay satellite

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...iting_the_Moon

In contrast there appears to be 4857 satellites orbiting the Earth ... the list doesn't count older unmaintained satellites and various space junk.

Last edited by Ron Swanson; 4th January 2019 at 07:14 AM.
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 02:20 PM   #37
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
Apparently approximately 11 ... this wiki list was updated June 2018 and docent include China's most recent relay satellite

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...iting_the_Moon

In contrast there appears to be 4857 satellites orbiting the Earth ... the list doesn't count older unmaintained satellites and various space junk.
The number currently orbiting the moon is far less than 11. I suggest the number is currently 1 - the Chinese one. Every other one in the list no longer orbits the moon. Like the Russian Luna ones all were launched in the 1960s and 1970s.
Old 4th January 2019, 02:29 PM   #38
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
The number currently orbiting the moon is far less than 11. I suggest the number is currently 1 - the Chinese one. Every other one in the list no longer orbits the moon. Like the Russian Luna ones all were launched in the 1960s and 1970s.
I see five active here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._orbiters#Moon

LRO
ARTEMIS P1
ARTEMIS P2
CHANG'E 5-T1
CHANG'E 4

Last edited by Elagabalus; 4th January 2019 at 02:31 PM.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 02:42 PM   #39
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

I think Elagabalus has the right list. Despite no atmosphere, most lunar orbits are unstable. The Moon has an irregular gravity field.

Old 4th January 2019, 06:14 PM   #40
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I think Elagabalus has the right list. Despite no atmosphere, most lunar orbits are unstable. The Moon has an irregular gravity field.
I agree. I think most lunar orbits are unstable because the Earth's gravity will pull and push an orbiter out of its orbit so that it will either crash into the moon or fly away from the moon. Some of the Lagrangian points are stable. This is where the two ARTEMIS are.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology