ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags anti-semitism , homophobia

Old 3rd January 2019, 05:13 AM   #1
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Praising slavery while Black

Courtesy of Snopes.Com

Quote:
Democratic Florida State Representative Kimberly Daniels once said, "I thank God for slavery."

Rating: Correct attribution

And she's an anti-semite to boot...

Quote:
And you can talk about the Holocaust, but the Jews own everything. We go through some things, but let me tell you something ó when you go through, you qualify to get paid back. You donít need the government to give it back, God will give it back.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ki...k-god-slavery/

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 05:24 AM   #2
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

And?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 05:27 AM   #3
baron

Quote:
"And if it wasn’t for slavery, I might be somewhere in Africa, worshipping a tree."
It's something to aim for.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 05:59 AM   #4
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Kooks gonna kook. State house of representatives is the minor league of American politics and kookery is not uncommon.
Old 3rd January 2019, 06:12 AM   #5
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

You're telling us black people aren't a perfectly homogenous block of perfectly saintly victims?

Guys, call off the racism threads! Some lady said something!
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 06:20 AM   #6
fagin
Philosopher

Crack can do that to your brain.
Old 3rd January 2019, 07:11 AM   #7
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Well, the Mastuhs probably thought so, and since she undoubtedly has some Mastuh's genes in her heritage, she is probably right to that extent.

Refreshing. You hardly ever hear a black person give any credit to the white male that brought their great grandmother over. Or even any empathy for the sons and daughters of the white master that he also put into slavery. Yeah, that's it, Whites enslaved Whites too!!! I want my reparations too!
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:23 AM   #8
Thermal
Philosopher

Let's cut to the heart of this LWB thread: what kind of music does she like?
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:30 AM   #9
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Let's cut to the heart of this LWB thread: what kind of music does she like?
Probably not klezmer...
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:27 AM   #10
carlitos
"mŠs divertido"

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Probably not klezmer...
You never know!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:52 AM   #11
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Is this a new thread title meme? ("Doing X while X") Cause I think it's gonna trend soon.

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:53 AM   #12
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
Is this a new thread title meme? ("Doing X while X") Cause I think it's gonna trend soon.
It will never catch on.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:34 PM   #13
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
Courtesy of Snopes.Com

And she's an anti-semite to boot...

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ki...k-god-slavery/
Wow! There actually are some black people who recognize what their life would be like today of if it were not for slavery.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 01:42 AM   #14
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Wow! There actually are some black people who recognize what their life would be like today of if it were not for slavery.
I wouldn't be on this Earth if not for Hitler (my father's parents only met because my Pop traveled to the UK and joined the RAF in WW2) but that doesn't mean that WW2 was a good thing, or that Hitler was a nice guy.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 02:54 AM   #15
CoulsdonUK
Graduate Poster

I wonder how Africa would have developed without mass slavery or colonisation with its abundant natural resources, sure there would have been wars the odd despot much the same as Europe, I guess.

As for Kimberly Daniels; obviously she has mental health issues, remarkable that she got elected.
CoulsdonUK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 06:14 AM   #16
baron

Originally Posted by CoulsdonUK View Post
I wonder how Africa would have developed without mass slavery or colonisation with its abundant natural resources
How long to we have to wait to find out? It's not looking too good...
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 06:22 AM   #17
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I wouldn't be on this Earth if not for Hitler (my father's parents only met because my Pop traveled to the UK and joined the RAF in WW2) but that doesn't mean that WW2 was a good thing, or that Hitler was a nice guy.
Yes, you should be grateful for the actions of malicious actors because the long term, multi-generational unintended side effects were positive.

It's like if I get black out drunk, hop in my car, and run over a pedestrian, only to find out later that it was a serial killer out stalking his next victim. I'm a hero! They should be handing me the key to the city, not locking me up for DUI. The great grandchildren of the saved victim should be maintaining a shrine in my honor, with fresh beer poured over my 12 foot statue 24/7.

Or maybe an abusive husband beats his wife up so badly she is hospitalized and she misses a flight. Later, the plane crashes, killing all aboard. Johnny Heavyhands saved his wife's life! She ought to show some gratitude.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 4th January 2019 at 06:39 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 06:36 AM   #18
3point14
Pi

If someone were to murder you, would any of your relatives stand to gain financially?

If so, do you think you should be taking daily walks in dodgy neighborhoods in your finest jewellery? You know, for the sake of your progeny.

This is roughly the calculation you're making here.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 07:03 AM   #19
CoulsdonUK
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
If someone were to murder you, would any of your relatives stand to gain financially?

If so, do you think you should be taking daily walks in dodgy neighborhoods in your finest jewellery? You know, for the sake of your progeny.

This is roughly the calculation you're making here.
I simply wondered how Africa as a continent would have developed without slavery and colonisation if it had control over its own resources during the past two or three hundred years. Dodgy neighbourhoods exist all over the world, I’m not aware of making any calculations as it is difficult to quantify how much slavery and colonisation impacted the natural development of the continent.

Maybe I have drifted off topic.

Last edited by CoulsdonUK; 4th January 2019 at 07:26 AM.
CoulsdonUK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 09:22 AM   #20
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
The progeny of slaves taken off to distant affluent continents might indeed be better off than the progeny of natives left in their colonized and exploited native lands.

That's not saying much though.
Old 4th January 2019, 09:41 AM   #21
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"History" is such a tangled interconnected webs of "What ifs" that it's impossible to start pulling at threads more then a half century or so back and try to make any sort of predictions as to what the world would be like now that aren't just random guessing.

Slavery was bad and isn't excused via the current state of the decedents of those slaves.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 12:04 PM   #22
dann
Philosopher

No or for her!
(By the way, The Pacifier Tree is just a few hundred metres from my home. And Americans love it!)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 12:08 PM   #23
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Slavery was bad and isn't excused via the current state of the decedents of those slaves.

No, it certainly isn't! The current state of the descendants of slaves in the USA.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 12:17 PM   #24
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by dann View Post
No, it certainly isn't! The current state of the descendants of slaves in the USA.
I meant as "In reference to other members of the same historical lineage."

The "fact" that African Americans are, on average, "better off" than Africans (leaving aside whether or not that is true and/or what criteria we are using for "better off") doesn't excuse slavery is what I meant.
Old 4th January 2019, 01:07 PM   #25
baron

Africans in Africa seem happier than Africans in America, you have to give them that.
Old 4th January 2019, 03:31 PM   #26
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Many of the people reading this sentence wouldn't exist if not for the bubonic plague in the fourteenth century. Had that plague not occurred, our ancestors would have had a great deal more competition for mates, and a completely different set of human beings would have resulted from that point onward. Thank God for the plague!
Old 4th January 2019, 08:00 PM   #27
kedo1981
Master Poster

"Africans in Africa seem happier than Africans in America, you have to give them that." Tell that to a Hutu child getting their arm chopped off by a Tutsi.

"Tragedy plus time equals comedy" comes to mind, don't know who said it.

There must be a word for this sociological concept.
I'm a privileged middle class white male and if some of my ancestors didn't here and spread the flu and other sickness's and or out right kill them I would be a starving peasant in some European slum, or never have been born at all.

Do I thank DOG for the Native American genocide?
No I think not
kedo1981 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 12:13 AM   #28
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

I tell you, as a Hawaiian, not thrilled with how the USA treated Hawaiians 100% of the time, but thankful as hell it wasn't one of the other colonial powers given how those turned out!
Old 5th January 2019, 12:23 AM   #29
mumblethrax
Species traitor

I'm sure there's a reason that some people prefer to compare the well-being of black Americans to black Africans, rather than black Americans to other Americans. But I can't quite put my finger on what that reason might be.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 04:14 AM   #30
baron

Originally Posted by kedo1981 View Post
"Africans in Africa seem happier than Africans in America, you have to give them that." Tell that to a Hutu child getting their arm chopped off by a Tutsi.
I'll try but it's unlikely I'll get the opportunity. Right time, right place, etc.
Old 5th January 2019, 11:20 AM   #31
kedo1981
Master Poster

Granted, that would seem like the wrong time
kedo1981 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 07:08 PM   #32
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Yes, you should be grateful for the actions of malicious actors because the long term, multi-generational unintended side effects were positive.

It's like if I get black out drunk, hop in my car, and run over a pedestrian, only to find out later that it was a serial killer out stalking his next victim. I'm a hero! They should be handing me the key to the city, not locking me up for DUI. The great grandchildren of the saved victim should be maintaining a shrine in my honor, with fresh beer poured over my 12 foot statue 24/7.

Or maybe an abusive husband beats his wife up so badly she is hospitalized and she misses a flight. Later, the plane crashes, killing all aboard. Johnny Heavyhands saved his wife's life! She ought to show some gratitude.
Hmmm, in your first post I wasn't able to tell if you were sarcastically agreeing with my point, or if you had missed it entirely, however looking at your edit I believe the second is the more likely, so allow me to spell out what I said in really clear language so you get it.

Sometimes there are good side effects from bad actions, and some people might have a reason to say that they are better off, or exist, because of that bad action, but those side effects in no way decrease, lessen, or make better the original bad action nor diminish the repugnance one should feel towards the actors responsible for that bad action, even if something good came from it for you personally. And it certainly doesn't mean that you should treat the bad actors as heroes because you got a benefit from a terrible circumstance.

As another example, my father dying helped to pay for my wedding, but that doesn't lessen the tragedy of my father dying even though I was grateful for him leaving me the money.

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 5th January 2019 at 07:09 PM.
Old 6th January 2019, 10:28 AM   #33
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I meant as "In reference to other members of the same historical lineage."

The "fact" that African Americans are, on average, "better off" than Africans (leaving aside whether or not that is true and/or what criteria we are using for "better off") doesn't excuse slavery is what I meant.

I know, I know!
My point was just to point out that the bar has been set very low if conditions of contemporary African-Americans are compared with those in Africa ... like when some Republicans feel the need to point out that U.S. Americans are better off than Venezuelans ...
By the way, African-Americans may not be tree-worshippers, but
Quote:
African Americans are more religious than whites and Latinos by many measures of religious commitment.
5 Facts about the Religious Lives of African-Americans (Pew Research Center, Feb. 7, 2018)
That doesn't seem to be very different from major parts of sub-Saharan Africa.
Old 6th January 2019, 03:34 PM   #34
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

We have something in common! I wouldn't be this Earth if not for Hitler either (my Mom met my Dad because her father moved the family to my Dad's hometown when he got a job in the shipyards that wouldn't have existed if not for the war effort).

But I'm not angry at Hitler for the circumstances of my birth nor do I think that the German people owe me restitution for my suffering the way that some black folks blame white people for the "wrongs" they have suffered due to the legacy of slavery.

Whether or not either Hitler or slavery is good or bad isn't a part of the equation.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 10:04 PM   #35
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Yeah, in what alternate universe can you roll back the calendar so you can actually find out? 'Cuz, historically, it would seem that the current Africa, the one you're being snide about, actually did experience slavery and mass colonization. Perhaps you're referring to Schrodinger's Africa, or maybe Bizarro World Africa, 'cuz I can't tell for the life of me why one would post such a ridiculous comment.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 06:05 AM   #36
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

But I'm not angry at Hitler for the circumstances of my birth nor do I think that the German people owe me restitution for my suffering the way that some black folks blame white people for the "wrongs" they have suffered due to the legacy of slavery.
Since I doubt that you have had your rights systematically repressed by the German people for the past 153 years, restitution has nothing to do with anything.

Old 7th January 2019, 11:05 AM   #37
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Since I doubt that you have had your rights systematically repressed by the German people for the past 153 years, restitution has nothing to do with anything.
Since I'm not 153 years old, you're probably right.
Old 7th January 2019, 02:33 PM   #38
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CoulsdonUK View Post
I simply wondered how Africa as a continent would have developed without slavery and colonisation if it had control over its own resources during the past two or three hundred years. Dodgy neighbourhoods exist all over the world, Iím not aware of making any calculations as it is difficult to quantify how much slavery and colonisation impacted the natural development of the continent.

Maybe I have drifted off topic.
Well a bit maybe.

Are you cutting it off at 2-300 years? Because the Roman Empire was taking slaves long before that, as well as the Arab Berbers acquiring slaves from rulers of the Ethiopian area. Probably around 1400 years of Arab slave trade in Africa.

I'd also point out that North Africa , by 200 AD, was extremely Roman. So to predict what would have happened to Africa 'as a continent', you might have to go back to 146 BC, when Rome finally destroyed the Carthagian Empire.

How far back are we going?
Drewbot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 04:09 PM   #39
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Many of the people reading this sentence wouldn't exist if not for the bubonic plague in the fourteenth century. Had that plague not occurred, our ancestors would have had a great deal more competition for mates, and a completely different set of human beings would have resulted from that point onward. Thank God for the plague!
If it hadn't been for the discovery of penicillin in the 1920's (but only generally available to hospitals from the mid-40's), my mother would have died from tetanus for sure, after a farming incident. We are all a complete random accident of fate.

A different spermatozoa or egg and you could have been your brother or sister instead of you.
Old 7th January 2019, 04:15 PM   #40
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

We have something in common! I wouldn't be this Earth if not for Hitler either (my Mom met my Dad because her father moved the family to my Dad's hometown when he got a job in the shipyards that wouldn't have existed if not for the war effort).

Whether or not either Hitler or slavery is good or bad isn't a part of the equation.

Poor logic, sorry. Unless you are equating your birth with the Holocaust or the effects of slavery. Sounds trite.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events