ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th January 2019, 11:12 AM   #1
Ranb
Philosopher

Man Tries to Kidnap Woman While in Dojo

Cops say a would-be kidnapper chased a woman -- into a karate studio.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/us/wo...rnd/index.html
Quote:
The incident happened at 9 pm Thursday outside Bushiken Karate Charlotte Dojo, according to CNN affiliate WSOC and the head instructor, Randall Ephraim.

"There were still some kids in the dojo being picked up by parents and a couple of adult students cleaning up when a young lady came through our doors and stated that someone was trying to harm her," he told CNN.

"Shortly afterward, a big male entered the building," he said. "Not knowing what he wanted, I assumed he was inquiring about classes."
This is where a normal (er?) person would simply leave.

Quote:
"I asked how I could assist him and he stated that he was there for the lady. She insisted that she did not know him and tried to kidnap her."
But no.

Quote:
Ephraim said he asked the man to leave, but he stated he was not going anywhere. "He then tried to force himself further into the dojo, aggressively pushing and swinging," the instructor said.

"I then went into action defending myself and got him out of the dojo. Once outside he attempted to attack again and was dealt with accordingly."
I sure hope so.

Then the guy continues to do something stupid.
Quote:
The suspect also tried to assault police officers before he was arrested, WSOC reports.

We only have one side of two assaults; no word on the alleged perp's version of events.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 06:01 PM   #2
Thermal
Philosopher

Totally missed the opportunity to call this either Dishing Out a Can of Whoop-Ass While Black, or Getting Your Dumb Ass Handed to You While Black.

The would-be kidnapper is identified as August Williams. Police report he was 'on drugs' at the time of the assault, and was being taken away on a stretcher when he tried to attack the cops. Guess Williams was taking advantage of a 'first lesson free' promotion at the school.
Old 4th January 2019, 06:56 PM   #3
Pope130
Master Poster

I applaud the good judgment of the would-be kidnap victim in this case in choosing a place of refuge. Not so much that of the kidnapper.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 07:14 PM   #4
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I was hoping more for a reaction like when Han Solo races around the hallway corner on the Death Star and stumbles straight into a squad of Stormtroopers.
Old 4th January 2019, 08:49 PM   #5
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Guess Williams was taking advantage of a 'first lesson free' promotion at the school.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 08:57 PM   #6
Ranb
Philosopher

Totally missed the opportunity to call this either Dishing Out a Can of Whoop-Ass While Black, or Getting Your Dumb Ass Handed to You While Black.
I think it's meme status on this forum although in real life it's a real issue.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 09:19 PM   #7
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

It is like "Fist of Fury" meets "Karate Kid 3"
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 09:31 PM   #8
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
I think it's meme status on this forum although in real life it's a real issue.
Agreed. Some posters on the forum get so unhinged on the topic that I am starting to think of this as the International Tumblr Forum, but that's overly cynical. I need to unplug from the lunacy for a bit.

Re:OP: I haven't seen any reporting on the age of the intended victim. The martial artist described her as a young lady, which sounds disturbingly like a minor. Good to know there are men like him who are willing to go to bat when necessary, after trying to resolve the issue as peacefully as possible first. He personifies the ideals of someone who trains in the arts.
Old 4th January 2019, 09:33 PM   #9
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
It is like "Fist of Fury" meets "Karate Kid 3"
More like the movie 'Taken', with the soundtrack of Judas Priests 'You got another thing comin'
Old 4th January 2019, 09:52 PM   #10
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

More like the movie 'Taken', with the soundtrack of Judas Priests 'You got another thing comin'
If you just imagine Bruce is actually the bad guy and loses, rather than wins, he doesn't have nunchucks, but has the accent.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

Last edited by cullennz; 4th January 2019 at 09:53 PM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 08:12 AM   #11
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Good thing it wasn't a tai chi school.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 06:58 PM   #12
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Good thing it wasn't a tai chi school.
Yeah, for the perp. Imagine the state he’d be in after being battered with chi power!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 08:08 PM   #13
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

*tips fedora*
Old 5th January 2019, 08:30 PM   #14
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Kind of reminds me of the idiots that tried to mug as woman outside a Ninjutsu Academy.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 08:01 AM   #15
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Kind of reminds me of the idiots that tried to mug as woman outside a Ninjutsu Academy.
They probably didn't see it.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 08:11 AM   #16
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

My favorite story along these lines is the guy who broke into Bryan Danielson's (who wrestles under the ring name of Danial Bryant in WWE) home in 2014 and would up being held down in a legit rear naked chokehold until the police arrived.

As Cracked.com put it, imagine you're a robber. (minor language cleanup to comply with MA)

Just as you're hauling your cartoonish bags of loot away from the house, the couple who own the place return. [Crap]! Still, this is not necessarily an issue. You're young. You're fast. You can outrun some surprised hipster-looking [MFer].

So you run. He runs after you. He's also screaming at the top of his lungs, and when you risk a quick peek behind, you see that not only is he much scarier looking than you originally thought, but he's actually gaining. You make it almost 400 feet before a pair of powerful arms -- arms that were seemingly built for picking something up and throwing that something down -- close around you. You gave it your best shot. This is your world now: Pain and whimpering. With your last conscious thoughts before your fight-or-flight instinct melts into a torrent of wheezing, you manage to sneak one last glance at the man who is now going to town on your neck:

He was probably not shirtless and holding multiple championship belts at the time. The confetti totally happened, though.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 7th January 2019 at 08:12 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 09:16 PM   #17
chrispy
Muse

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
My favorite story along these lines is the guy who broke into Bryan Danielson's (who wrestles under the ring name of Danial Bryant in WWE) home in 2014 and would up being held down in a legit rear naked chokehold until the police arrived.

As Cracked.com put it, imagine you're a robber. (minor language cleanup to comply with MA)

Just as you're hauling your cartoonish bags of loot away from the house, the couple who own the place return. [Crap]! Still, this is not necessarily an issue. You're young. You're fast. You can outrun some surprised hipster-looking [MFer].

So you run. He runs after you. He's also screaming at the top of his lungs, and when you risk a quick peek behind, you see that not only is he much scarier looking than you originally thought, but he's actually gaining. You make it almost 400 feet before a pair of powerful arms -- arms that were seemingly built for picking something up and throwing that something down -- close around you. You gave it your best shot. This is your world now: Pain and whimpering. With your last conscious thoughts before your fight-or-flight instinct melts into a torrent of wheezing, you manage to sneak one last glance at the man who is now going to town on your neck:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=12004

He was probably not shirtless and holding multiple championship belts at the time. The confetti totally happened, though.
Reminds me of the guy who broke into LL Cool J's house at night. Wheb LL's daughter went downstairs for a midnight snack sbe encountered the man and screamed. The absolute unit that is the body building, 30 year boxing-training LL comes downstairs. The man makes the logical choice to fight said unit. Police arrive to unconscious man with broken jaw and broken ribs. And LL on top of him.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 07:14 AM   #18
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Time to revisit the classics!

Drunken idiots go down crowded street, harrassing people.
They spot a couple of guys in drag, decide to beat them up.
Turns out they are two MMA fighters on their way to a stag party.
Followed by the most pathetic retreat since Napoleon tried to get out of Russia.
Old 8th January 2019, 07:19 AM   #19
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

and

Quote:
Twenty-six-year-old UFC fighter Polyana Viana told MMAjunkie on Sunday that she was approached by a man while she was waiting for an Uber driver. After asking her for the time, he demanded she give him her cellphone and told her he was armed.

Making a split-second decision, Viana decided the "gun" he claimed to have was likely "too soft" to be an actual gun and deployed two punches and a kick to the man, and as he fell to the ground, she caught him in a headlock, she recalled. The fighter said she held him until the cops arrived.
Link (with bloody aftermath photo)

I think she toned down her story to the cops, because he looks like blood-soaked Picasso.
Old 8th January 2019, 03:09 PM   #20
chrispy
Muse

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
and

Link (with bloody aftermath photo)

I think she toned down her story to the cops, because he looks like blood-soaked Picasso.
Yes, I read that this morning. She beat the crap out of that guy. It doesn't look at all like "2 punches and a kick" as she states, not that anyone is complaining about the ultimate result.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2019, 11:01 AM   #21
TX50
Graduate Poster

I have this impression of him being chased down the street by two dozen little squeakers in karate suits.
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 08:28 AM   #22
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TX50 View Post
I have this impression of him being chased down the street by two dozen little squeakers in karate suits.
*Benny Hill music*

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events