ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th January 2019, 10:41 AM   #1
Ranb
Philosopher

Divorce by Text

Saudi women to be notified of divorce by text message

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/06/middl...ntl/index.html
As first I thought, "How low can they go?" But then after reading the article I see that this is an improvement of sorts. When the bar is that low, even this is an improvement.

Quote:
Women in Saudi Arabia divorced by their husbands will now be sent a text message to inform them of their new status.
The move is designed to stop the practice of men ending marriages without telling their wives.
I didn't know this was a thing in Saudi Arabia.

Quote:
The Saudi courts started to send such notifications Sunday in "a step aimed at protecting the rights of female clients, and enhancing digital transformation with more services," the country's Ministry of Justice said in a statement.
The message will include the divorce certificate number and the name of the relevant court where the women can pick up the documentation.
Women can also inquire about their marital status through a website and view details of any probate certificates.
But what is an inch when they have miles to go?

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 11:16 AM   #2
baron
Philosopher

Beneath the thin veneer of modernity, financed for by the West due to an accident of geography, the Saudis still have the mentality of 7th century goat herders and fishermen.
Old 6th January 2019, 01:18 PM   #3
wasapi
Philosopher

Way too little and really late. It seems they will never catch up.
Old 6th January 2019, 01:25 PM   #4
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Saudi Arabia just needs to go away. Forever.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 02:08 PM   #5
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Quote:
Women can also inquire about their marital status through a website and view details of any probate certificates.
@amIstillmarried.gov.sa
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 02:14 PM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Way too little and really late. It seems they will never catch up.
Catch up with what? It's a progressive myth that the calendar marks social progress. It doesn't. People in different times and places do what works for them in that time and place.

Saudi Arabia, fully present in this time and place, is doing what works for them. Changing Saudi policy isn't a question of changing the calendar date. It's a question of changing Saudi Arabia's circumstances.

But changing Saudi Arabia's circumstances is likely to be a costly endeavor for whoever tries it. And it's certain to change a lot of circumstances in the region, which brings additional risks and costs.

At some point, the pearl clutchers are going to have to move beyond "Saudi Arabia needs to go away", and come up with some sort of rational alternative.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 02:31 PM   #7
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Catch up with what? It's a progressive myth that the calendar marks social progress. It doesn't. People in different times and places do what works for them in that time and place.

Saudi Arabia, fully present in this time and place, is doing what works for them. Changing Saudi policy isn't a question of changing the calendar date. It's a question of changing Saudi Arabia's circumstances.

But changing Saudi Arabia's circumstances is likely to be a costly endeavor for whoever tries it. And it's certain to change a lot of circumstances in the region, which brings additional risks and costs.

At some point, the pearl clutchers are going to have to move beyond "Saudi Arabia needs to go away", and come up with some sort of rational alternative.
The trouble is they have no motivation to change. Their wealth comes through doing nothing. They have achieved nothing and they don't need to achieve anything because the money keeps on coming regardless. They'll change when the oil runs out, because they'll have to.
Old 6th January 2019, 02:36 PM   #8
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Outrage is based on applying feelings about OUR culture of marriage on THEIR culture. What do you think they think of Western marriage culture, given the Kardashians and Trump as the most visible examples?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 02:36 PM   #9
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

I divorce you
I divorce you
I divorce you

I have no idea if this is a real thing, but keep stumbling across references to it.
Old 6th January 2019, 02:39 PM   #10
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Turns out it is simpler, and more complex than I had heard:

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/2632...ou-are-divorce
Old 6th January 2019, 03:03 PM   #11
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Outrage is based on applying feelings about OUR culture of marriage on THEIR culture. What do you think they think of Western marriage culture, given the Kardashians and Trump as the most visible examples?
They probably despise us for it. After all, not only are these women wealthy, independent and powerful, they also have the gall to expose their naked skin.
Old 6th January 2019, 04:06 PM   #12
Cain
Straussian

My favorite line from the article:

Quote:
Not all men agree with the new technology. Abdulaziz al-Omari, 39, said, "I prefer to ghost them. Even the blind camel can find water."
Old 6th January 2019, 06:00 PM   #13
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
I divorce you
I divorce you
I divorce you

I have no idea if this is a real thing, but keep stumbling across references to it.
There's a legend that Mustafa Kemal divorced his wife this way just before making the practice illegal in Turkey. Whether he actually did is probably unknowable.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 07:06 PM   #14
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

It seems to me that this actually is evidence of change in, what I anyway would consider is, the right direction. And while you are certainly right that "Saudi Arabia, fully present in this time and place, is doing what works for them", and what works for them is dependent upon the circumstances in which they live, there are forces that are acting pretty much everywhere in the world in the same direction. Urbanisation, for instance. Advancement of communications technology and access to information. Access to birth control.

These things are happening at different rates in different parts of the world, but almost universally in one direction.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 07:13 PM   #15
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by baron View Post
They probably despise us for it. After all, not only are these women wealthy, independent and powerful, they also have the gall to expose their naked skin.
The Kardashians aren't powerful at all. Momma is a sleaze-bag and sells her daughters for money (there's a word for that...). Her daughters are famous for simply making themselves known, not for any great achievements at all. It wasn't the naked skin that is an issue, it's the appallingly weak attitudes to fidelity and compassion, art and plain good manners. Their lives are publicly all about them, all the time, and they want to get paid for being shallow mindless twats. I'd say their detractors have a point...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 07:17 PM   #16
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
But what is an inch when they have miles to go?
It's an inch further ahead than they were previously. If you're waiting for them to leap miles in a single jump, you'll be waiting a long time. Incremental improvement is good, as long as it isn't countered in the other direction by, oh I don't know, state-sponsored murder of journalists or something.
Old 6th January 2019, 09:21 PM   #17
pharphis
Graduate Poster

+1 for "miniscule step in the right direction"

I'm surprised people could be unwed and could go about uninformed of this.
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 09:28 PM   #18
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

It probably happens to men in the western world all the time...

/joke
Old 7th January 2019, 03:41 AM   #19
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
The Kardashians aren't powerful at all. Momma is a sleaze-bag and sells her daughters for money (there's a word for that...). Her daughters are famous for simply making themselves known, not for any great achievements at all. It wasn't the naked skin that is an issue, it's the appallingly weak attitudes to fidelity and compassion, art and plain good manners. Their lives are publicly all about them, all the time, and they want to get paid for being shallow mindless twats. I'd say their detractors have a point...
They're not powerful in the way presidents or kings are powerful; for example, Kim Kardashian would have a hard time ordering the murder of a journalist inside an embassy in a foreign country, but regardless of what you think of them (and I don't think much) they are confident achievers in their field and they have a lot of clout in the media and entertainment industry. This kind of thing does not sit well with Islamist men, for whom a woman is property and should never exhibit signs of independent action or ambition. Doing so will get a woman killed by her husband, father, brothers or uncles (or more likely, all at once) quicker than you can say haram.
Old 7th January 2019, 06:45 AM   #20
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Sounds like a good thing. I wonder what the objection is here... would it be better to be informed by post as they do here?
Old 7th January 2019, 07:36 AM   #21
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
Sounds like a good thing. I wonder what the objection is here... would it be better to be informed by post as they do here?
Is that usually how it happens? Or is it not a legal process in which women and men both participate as opposed to a woman being told by text that she is being selected for removal to make space for wife number 4?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 07:47 AM   #22
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Is that usually how it happens? Or is it not a legal process in which women and men both participate as opposed to a woman being told by text that she is being selected for removal to make space for wife number 4?
That's not usually a good reason in Saudi, where the man is free to enslave marry multiple women. More likely is that the woman in question was not sufficiently submissive, or didn't 'accept his advances' with good grace, or was reluctant to cover herself with a black bag and walk ten paces behind her chaperone, and therefore needed to be rejected in favour of a more compliant item.

I thought it was easy to return a product to Amazon - not as easy as returning your wife if you live in a Muslim country.

Last edited by baron; 7th January 2019 at 07:48 AM.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 09:06 AM   #23
Ranb
Philosopher

That's not usually a good reason in Saudi, where the man is free to enslave marry multiple women....
As far as I know the husband is not enslaving the woman, he is buying her from the previous owner; the father.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 09:24 AM   #24
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Can the text be done as emoji-only?
Old 7th January 2019, 09:25 AM   #25
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

��❌����
ETA: not on here, it seems
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 09:30 AM   #26
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Divorce?

You apply for a divorce, give your reasons and the court sends out paperwork to tell the people involved.

It's a 'legal process' but the participation is minimal.
Old 7th January 2019, 09:30 AM   #27
baron
Philosopher

As far as I know the husband is not enslaving the woman, he is buying her from the previous owner; the father.
The father doesn't accept returns, however. He would rather dispose of the item than accept it back into his house and be dishonoured.
Old 7th January 2019, 09:35 AM   #28
baron
Philosopher

Divorce?

You apply for a divorce, give your reasons and the court sends out paperwork to tell the people involved.
Old 7th January 2019, 10:07 AM   #29
angrysoba
Philosophile

That's not usually a good reason in Saudi, where the man is free to enslave marry multiple women. More likely is that the woman in question was not sufficiently submissive, or didn't 'accept his advances' with good grace, or was reluctant to cover herself with a black bag and walk ten paces behind her chaperone, and therefore needed to be rejected in favour of a more compliant item.

I thought it was easy to return a product to Amazon - not as easy as returning your wife if you live in a Muslim country.
Saudi Arabia allows a man to marry up to four wives so, according to what I have read before, some men will just divorce one when they have filled the quota and want another.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 10:11 AM   #30
angrysoba
Philosophile

Divorce?

It's a 'legal process' but the participation is minimal.
Indeed. But the two parties are involved - regardless of gender - and can argue whether the grounds given are fair. In Saudi, the issue is that men are guardians of women and that they legally have no say in the matter of whether they can be married or divorced. The issue is also that until now they didnít even have to be informed of matters as if their own opinions on their marital status was entirely irrelevant.

Old 7th January 2019, 10:50 AM   #31
CaptainHowdy
Muse

Beneath the thin veneer of modernity, financed for by the West due to an accident of geography, the Saudis still have the mentality of 7th century goat herders and fishermen.
Why the hate? Don't you value diversity?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 11:08 AM   #32
baron
Philosopher

Saudi Arabia allows a man to marry up to four wives so, according to what I have read before, some men will just divorce one when they have filled the quota and want another.
Only four? Poor show. No wonder these guys need to streamline the process, the last thing you want is a stagnant harem.

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
I know, I should be saying things like, "Our culture is different but no better."
Old 7th January 2019, 02:15 PM   #33
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

I'm not entirely certain, but I think that Australian courts have started serving notices via text and email...

... Ooops, Facebook too!

https://www.smh.com.au/technology/au...13-gdt6di.html
Old 7th January 2019, 02:52 PM   #34
Ranb
Philosopher

I'm not entirely certain, but I think that Australian courts have started serving notices via text and email...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Australian court services of this kind are not "designed to stop the practice of men ending marriages without telling their wives". Unless the spouse is in a coma, surely they will know about divorce proceedings.
Old 7th January 2019, 03:15 PM   #35
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Australian court services of this kind are not "designed to stop the practice of men ending marriages without telling their wives". Unless the spouse is in a coma, surely they will know about divorce proceedings.
What if my wife's name isn't Shirley?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 03:23 PM   #36
Lothian
should be banned

I divorce you
I divorce you
I divorce you

Tell me about it. A note stuck on the fridge, written in the dirt on the car, carved into the soap and sewn onto my best work shirt.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 04:38 PM   #37
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Diversity is one thing. You can be diverse while still being culturally progressive. We don't have to tolerate abuse and medieval thinking simply because it's diverse.
Old 7th January 2019, 04:48 PM   #38
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Lets not kid ourselves that much of America is not on par.
Old 7th January 2019, 04:50 PM   #39
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, but they've got the oil.
Old 7th January 2019, 04:53 PM   #40
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

The father doesn't accept returns, however. He would rather dispose of the item than accept it back into his house and be dishonoured.
Should have got it from John Lewis.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events