ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th January 2019, 10:43 AM   #1
Steve001
Graduate Poster

A gene found only in humans and active in the cerebral cortex can enlarge the ferret

... neocortex.

Rather interesting. I wonder if a chimp brain would be similarly affected?

The human brain owes its characteristic wrinkled appearance to its outer layer, the cerebral cortex. During human evolution, the neocortex, the evolutionarily youngest part of the cerebral cortex, expanded dramatically and had to fold into wrinkles to fit inside the restricted space of the skull. The human neocortex supports advanced cognitive skills such as reasoning and language. But how did the human neocortex become so big?

https://m.medicalxpress.com/news/201...x-enlarge.html

Last edited by Steve001; 8th January 2019 at 11:42 AM.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 10:49 AM   #2
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

"Enlarge the ferret". Is this a euphemism?
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 01:27 PM   #3
jonesdave116
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post

Lesson being - never let a ferret near your cerebral cortex. There could be a B movie horror in this. Brain eating ferrets. Growing to the size of cows. Rampaging through the streets of Yorkshire. Yorkshiremen refusing to put them down their trousers any more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferret-legging

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 02:06 PM   #4
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
... neocortex.

Rather interesting. I wonder if a chimp brain would be similarly affected?
Hmmm... Rise of the Planet of the Apes?

Last edited by smartcooky; 8th January 2019 at 02:28 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 02:57 PM   #5
baron

Goddamn it, that's the only reason I clicked on this thread.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 08:10 PM   #6
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad

The more familiar version is "Pop goes the weasel."
Old 8th January 2019, 09:02 PM   #7
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Its meaning is similar to "Juice the piglet".
Old 8th January 2019, 09:10 PM   #8
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Obligatory reference to dicksing one's own potatoes
Old 8th January 2019, 09:35 PM   #9
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
No, one must "enlarge the ferret" before one can "juice the piglet."

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will

Last edited by shemp; 8th January 2019 at 09:50 PM.
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 10:21 PM   #10
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
And the piglet must consent to a juicing.

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 01:54 PM   #11
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Old 15th January 2019, 04:05 PM   #12
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Gee, I can see where that could go wrong... Smart ferrets! Great!

In fact the negative consequences of altering weasels has been anticipated in a grad B (or lower) horror film:

"Weasels Rip My Flesh" (also the title of an unrelated and very good Zappa and Mother's of Invention record album)

But my favorite related grade B film does not involve weasels but shrews.
"Attack of the Killer Shrews"

Maybe these experiments can be extended to shrews?
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 10:02 PM   #13
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Gee, I can see where that could go wrong... Smart ferrets! Great!

In fact the negative consequences of altering weasels has been anticipated in a grad B (or lower) horror film:

"Weasels Rip My Flesh" (also the title of an unrelated and very good Zappa and Mother's of Invention record album)

But my favorite related grade B film does not involve weasels but shrews.
"Attack of the Killer Shrews"

Maybe these experiments can be extended to shrews?
I thought that “Weasels Ripped My Flesh” was a cover blurb for a story in an old pulp magazine.

If it is a movie too I want to be aware of it!

ETA: WOW! IMDB has the budget at “$400 (estimated)”
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard

Last edited by autumn1971; 15th January 2019 at 10:05 PM.
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology