ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags quantum computer

Old 9th January 2019, 05:51 AM   #1
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Want a quantum computer? - IBM Q System One

IBM Q System One

Quote:
To make quantum computers more reliable and stable, IBM Q designed and built the worldís first integrated quantum computing system for commercial use: IBM Q System One.

IBM Q System One enables universal approximate superconducting quantum computers to operate beyond the confines of the research lab for the first time.

It looks the part.

Quote:
a nine-foot-tall, nine-foot-wide case of half-inch thick borosilicate glass forming a sealed, airtight enclosure. Its glass door opens effortlessly, simplifying the systemís maintenance and upgrade process while minimizing downtime Ėmaking the IBM Q System One uniquely suited for reliable commercial use

Some more info.
Old 9th January 2019, 08:17 AM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Sorry, but the Cray Y-MP was a much better piece of furniture.
This one is at best a Conversation Piece.
Old 9th January 2019, 11:49 AM   #3
Jungle Jim
Graduate Poster

How long before we have something like this on our desks?
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 11:54 AM   #4
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
How long before we have something like this on our desks?
It's interviewing for your job right now.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 12:15 PM   #5
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
It's interviewing for your job right now.
Or is it?
Impossible to say until the waveform collapses.
Old 9th January 2019, 01:08 PM   #6
WhatRoughBeast
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Sorry, but the Cray Y-MP was a much better piece of furniture.
This one is at best a Conversation Piece.
Yeah. The Cray at least had nice padded seats.
WhatRoughBeast is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 03:05 PM   #7
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

How long before Apple buys one and its fanboys then claim that they invented quantum computers?
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 03:13 PM   #8
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
A quantum 3-D printer might be fun.
Old 9th January 2019, 03:22 PM   #9
baron
Philosopher

The 75 microsecond up-time per session is a slight drawback.
Old 9th January 2019, 07:44 PM   #10
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Geez. It looks like something out of a sci-fi movie
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 11:52 PM   #11
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Good bye to conventional encryption. Either this, or a slightly better model will be able to crack any encryption by looking at every possibility at the same time.
Old 12th January 2019, 04:09 PM   #12
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Good bye to conventional encryption. Either this, or a slightly better model will be able to crack any encryption by looking at every possibility at the same time.
Nah, still won't be able to crack the strongest encryption... My hand writing, even I can't decrypt it half the time.

Seems rather a lot of effort into making it look pretty, does all that engineering with opening the cube add anything to the computing side?
Old 12th January 2019, 10:29 PM   #13
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Article in Wired, less impressed.

Quote:
The Q System One has 20 qubits, some way short of the 50 qubits that most researchers believe will be required to reach quantum supremacy. ďA 20-qubit system is unlikely to be practically useful,Ē says Robert Young, director of the Lancaster Quantum Technology Centre

Why is that?
Would 50 qubits be better than 3x20 qubit systems?
Old 13th January 2019, 09:53 AM   #14
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Why is that?

I think the relevant scaling is exponential. 2^20 * 3 is way smaller than 2^50.
Old 13th January 2019, 05:56 PM   #15
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Why is that?

I think the relevant scaling is exponential. 2^20 * 3 is way smaller than 2^50.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2019, 06:20 PM   #16
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Wasn't Noah's Ark only 300 qubits?

Of course, that answer might be slightly erroneous since it was derived by using the aRK Length formula...
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2019, 08:52 PM   #17
Robin
Philosopher

It looks the part.
Looks like a fancy coffee machine.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2019, 11:20 PM   #18
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Wasn't Noah's Ark only 300 qubits?

Of course, that answer might be slightly erroneous since it was derived by using the aRK Length formula...
As long as he kept the planks constant...
Old 14th January 2019, 04:34 PM   #19
Robin
Philosopher

Are there any examples of the sorts of calculations it can do? (Q System One, not Noah's Ark)

Can it run (or do the quantum components of) Shor's Algorithm for any non-trivial product of primes? I assume not.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology