ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 24th January 2017, 10:39 AM   #1
Marcus
Master Poster

Mod InfoThe previous thread was getting slow, unresponsive and generating duplicates, so I have made a shiny new thread for you. As usual, the split point is arbitrary and participants are free to copy & paste from the previous thread.
Posted By:Agatha

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
You keep implying Obama issued fewer EOs only in comparison to recent presidents or since WW2. But the list that was linked shows he issued the fewest of any president for the past 100+ years. I am a registered Democrat and the context here is, Obama has repeatedly been accused of using EOs in a way few presidents have. Almost to the point where it became dictatorial. That Obama was trying to usurp the powers of Congress through the use of EOs. If that was true I would be greatly concerned and very disappointed in Barack Obama. Only it's not true yet some people -- and I don't mean you -- go on making that accusation anyway.

I think it needs to be refuted and clearly refuted. Not in comparison only with recent presidents or since WWII but since the late 19th century. Many fewer than G.W. Bush, Reagan, Nixon, Johnson, Truman, FDR, Hoover, Coolidge, Wilson, Theodore Roosevelt, Taft. Fewer than any two term president since Ulysses Grant, 1869-1877. That's 140 years and I don't think that can be considered recent.
I never said anything about "recent" , that was The Don. All I said was Obama is in the middle of the pack historically. It wasn't intended as an insult.

At least you said "I don't mean you" because I never made the accusation you're referring to.

Last edited by Agatha; 24th January 2017 at 11:29 AM.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2017, 10:40 AM   #2
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Yes, we do intentionally weaken the equality of votes to promote Federalism.
This is usually a good thing, but we must not kid ourselves about the fact that we are sacrificing democracy for unity.
I'll counter and say, we must not kid ourselves that we sacrifice democracy in order to prevent the tyranny of the majority.

I happen to think that's a good thing.
Old 24th January 2017, 10:41 AM   #3
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Tell that to the sycophants that railed against Hillary.
I'm telling that to everyone about everything, irrespective of their political affiliation or preference.
Old 24th January 2017, 10:42 AM   #4
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Weren't there suits filed against Obama with the argument that he wasn't a US citizen?
Lots were filed. Most (maybe all?) were dismissed for lack of standing.

I haven't read this entire Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack...ity_litigation
Old 24th January 2017, 10:48 AM   #5
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

I'll counter and say, we must not kid ourselves that we sacrifice democracy in order to prevent the tyranny of the majority.

I happen to think that's a good thing.
That's the job of other constitutional mechanisms, such as Bill of Rights and Supreme Court. Also, 2/3 majorities for major decisions.

Codifying that some people's vote is more important than other's is problematic.
Old 24th January 2017, 10:54 AM   #6
Emily's Cat

That's the job of other constitutional mechanisms, such as Bill of Rights and Supreme Court. Also, 2/3 majorities for major decisions.

Codifying that some people's vote is more important than other's is problematic.
That's not what it's doing. It's codifying that a governing entity (a state) has a voice in addition to the people. Each person's vote has the same value as any other, but the state itself has a vote as well.
Old 24th January 2017, 11:01 AM   #7
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

That's not what it's doing. It's codifying that a governing entity (a state) has a voice in addition to the people. Each person's vote has the same value as any other, but the state itself has a vote as well.
interesting way to look at it...
Old 24th January 2017, 11:57 AM   #8
Aber
Muse

Live press conference:

Trump believes that there was voter fraud, based on studies he has seen.

What studies?

Studies he has seen.

And repeat...
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2017, 12:03 PM   #9
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

"Extraordinary Claims require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan

And all of Trump's claims are extraordinary.
It is not enough for him to make a counter-claim.
Old 24th January 2017, 12:15 PM   #10
Argumemnon
World Maker

"Extraordinary Claims require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan
"Extraordinary claims require alternative facts." - Donald Trump
Old 24th January 2017, 12:48 PM   #11
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aber View Post
Live press conference:

What studies?

Studies he has seen.

And repeat...
What's really interesting is that the new press secretary kept saying "That's what the President believes" when he was asked directly "Do YOU believe it?" and "Where's the evidence?" Even the people working for him must secretly know he's crazy.

And he doesn't like to be told he's wrong, either.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...=.36a82897773c
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2017, 12:55 PM   #12
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/...this-until-now

The press is in luck: Elephant Trump in the Porcelain House and plenty of rivalries amongst Trump insiders guarantee that there will always be someone who thinks they can gain from leaking information.
Old 24th January 2017, 01:37 PM   #13
Garrison
Illuminator

And it seems even Republicans are getting fed up with the antics:

Trump told to 'knock this off' on immigrant vote fraud claim
Old 24th January 2017, 01:40 PM   #14
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post

That's going to go over well with the Donald.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2017, 01:58 PM   #15
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post

Before the Primaries, I remember people like Sean Hannity claiming that neither side actually wants to get rid of illegal immigrants. The Democrats want to make them legal to buy their votes, and the Establishment Republicans want them as cheap labor. Only a "True Republican" like Trump would have the courage to properly deal with them. This may convince him of that, and that everyone is plotting against him on the issue. They don't want him talking about the illegal immigrants that are eroding the fabric of our great nation because they don't want him to do anything about them.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2017, 02:53 PM   #16
newyorkguy
Philosopher

The real work begins. This was reported by the Associated Press this afternoon:
Quote:
12:45 p.m.

The Trump administration has instituted a media blackout at the Environmental Protection Agency and barred staff from awarding any new contracts or grants. Emails sent to EPA staff since President Donald Trump's inauguration on Friday and reviewed by The Associated Press detailed the specific prohibitions banning press releases, blog updates or posts to the agency's social media accounts. The Trump administration has also ordered a "temporary suspension" of all new business activities at the department, including issuing task orders or work assignments to EPA contractors. The orders are expected to have a significant and immediate impact on EPA activities nationwide.

The EPA did not respond to phone calls and emails requesting comment Monday or Tuesday. AP link
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2017, 03:23 PM   #17
Lennart Hyland
Muse

Originally Posted by Aber View Post
Live press conference:

What studies?

Studies he has seen.

And repeat...
Based on some study made in 2008...

Unfortunately the 911truth movement web site does not allow any opinions contrary to their own, or I would have presented my views. David Scott - CTBUH Chairman
Lennart Hyland is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2017, 03:31 PM   #18
Civet
Muse

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
He broke Chris Christie. He broke Ted Cruz. I'm not putting my money on Sen. Graham.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2017, 03:37 PM   #19
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Spicer, I believe today, cited "evidence" for Trump's massive voter fraud claim by referencing a 2008 poll in which respondents "thought" voter registration needs to be updated.
Quote:
Spicer’s only attempt to support Trump’s assertion was to point to a 2008 Pew Research survey that showed a need to update voter registration systems. news link
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2017, 03:43 PM   #20
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
"Extraordinary claims require alternative facts." - Donald Trump
"Extraordinary claims require alternative facts." - Carl Sagan once said to Donald Trump, although, Donald Trump can't remember where and when this discussion took place. Probably some shindig in NY ... but, yeah, Carl Sagan, yuge, yuge fan ...
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2017, 03:46 PM   #21
Lennart Hyland
Muse

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Spicer, I believe today, cited "evidence" for Trump's massive voter fraud claim by referencing a 2008 poll in which respondents "thought" voter registration needs to be updated.
Thanks for clarifying that!

Unfortunately the 911truth movement web site does not allow any opinions contrary to their own, or I would have presented my views. David Scott - CTBUH Chairman
Lennart Hyland is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2017, 03:52 PM   #22
Arcade22
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
What's really interesting is that the new press secretary kept saying "That's what the President believes" when he was asked directly "Do YOU believe it?" and "Where's the evidence?" Even the people working for him must secretly know he's crazy.
So how long until people abandon ship and move onto saner pastures?
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2017, 04:33 PM   #23
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Trump Just Green-Lighted Controversial Pipeline Whose CEO Donated Millions to GOP Super PACs

So much for not owing anyone.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2017, 04:55 PM   #24
Marcus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Perhaps he has accidently done the right thing. Both pipelines are a much safer way to transport oil than by truck or rail.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2017, 05:03 PM   #25
bobdroege7
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Perhaps he has accidently done the right thing. Both pipelines are a much safer way to transport oil than by truck or rail.
Better yet would be to build a refinery up in Dakota, and then transport the gasoline or other refined products.

Of course, the best course would be to leave it.

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2017, 05:13 PM   #26
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I'll bet that somewhere along it's path, the keystone pipeline will pass through wetlands, allowing him to keep another campaign promise in the only way he knows how.
Old 24th January 2017, 05:31 PM   #27
Marcus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post
Better yet would be to build a refinery up in Dakota, and then transport the gasoline or other refined products.

Of course, the best course would be to leave it.
Environmentalists would like to leave the oil in the ground, screw the people.

Trumps policy will probably be, screw the environment.

I would prefer a middle ground. Refining it up there sounds good, refineries are really expensive though, I don't know if it's feasible.
Old 24th January 2017, 05:38 PM   #28
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I would prefer a middle ground. Refining it up there sounds good, refineries are really expensive though, I don't know if it's feasible.
This.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2017, 05:42 PM   #29
bobdroege7
Master Poster

I am not sure transporting it in pipelines is safer than by rail, which has been shown to be another way to "screw the people"

For various values of "screw"

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2017, 05:53 PM   #30
Emily's Cat

interesting way to look at it...
Accurate way to look at it.
Old 24th January 2017, 06:12 PM   #31
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Not the point, but I'm used to Trump supporters ignoring the stated facts and instead trying to deflect to different subjects.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2017, 06:14 PM   #32
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Of course because renewable energy sources aren't gaining any traction whatsoever.

And that doesn't screw the people?
Old 24th January 2017, 08:06 PM   #33
Marcus
Master Poster

I am not sure transporting it in pipelines is safer than by rail, which has been shown to be another way to "screw the people"

Pipelines are the safest, then rail, trucks a distant third.
Old 24th January 2017, 08:10 PM   #34
Marcus
Master Poster

Not the point, but I'm used to Trump supporters ignoring the stated facts and instead trying to deflect to different subjects.
If you think I'm a Trump supporter, you haven't been paying attention.

Of course because renewable energy sources aren't gaining any traction whatsoever.

And that doesn't screw the people?
Leaving the oil in the ground screws the people. That doesn't mean we ignore renewable energy, it means we need a mix.
Old 24th January 2017, 08:16 PM   #35
Marcus
Master Poster

Just to back up what I said about pipelines being safer, here is a link https://www.fraserinstitute.org/arti...rt-oil-and-gas
Old 24th January 2017, 08:57 PM   #36
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

If you think I'm a Trump supporter, you haven't been paying attention.
I only said what Trump supporters do. If you aren't one, then the comment meant your post nonetheless, fit that pattern.

Leaving the oil in the ground screws the people. ....
No, it doesn't.
Old 24th January 2017, 09:14 PM   #37
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Trump's policies have already begun stimulating portions of the economy. Sales of "1984" have skyrocketed, putting it at the top of Amazon's best seller list.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2017, 09:25 PM   #38
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post

I'm not sure Lindsey Graham counts ...

Trump's initial tweet started with a big lie (electoral landslide) and we're supposed to believe the rest

I hope eventually his supporters will grow unhappy with being lied to - that they will see that he believes they're suckers.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 12:57 AM   #39
ZeeGerman
Muse

At least he plays the accordion well...
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 25th January 2017, 01:17 AM   #40
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Gosh, that swamp is still looking decidedly swampy....
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics