ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 14th February 2017, 03:57 PM   #2321
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I can't stand Pence, but I don't blame him for trying to distance himself from the trainwreck that the Trump Whitehouse is becoming.
It's hard to believe the man that was in charge of the transition was out of the loop.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2017, 04:09 PM   #2322
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Lock him up.
Maybe even Lock them up.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2017, 04:23 PM   #2323
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder when that little lightbulb is going to activate in Melania's head.

"The White House is many steps down from what I'm used to."
"Hey, he's still got all his assets."
" I could have them and not have to deal with all the First Lady BS."
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2017, 04:35 PM   #2324
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by twinstead View Post
Yes. It seems to me that the more Trump pisses off 'liberals' the more his supporters are convinced he is right no matter what he says or does.
It follows naturally from the ever-more partisan politics we are observing. Just look at some of our other posters here: it's all about whose "side" you're on, that your "side" is winning and that the other "side" is salty. It doesn't matter what actual impacts the decisions and events have on actual people and countries, so long as the mythological "sides" are maintained in their mind, and that theirs is on top.
Old 14th February 2017, 04:37 PM   #2325
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I've gotten some very decent used cars, and I think the UCS brotherhood, cabal, syndicate or whatever should protest such demeaning comparisons.
Making lemons great again!
Old 14th February 2017, 04:43 PM   #2326
Garrison
Illuminator

And the hits keep on coming:

Kellyanne Conway: Call for ethics inquiry over Ivanka Trump promotion

Quote:
The Office of Government Ethics (OGE) found reason to believe Ms Conway had violated ethics rules, five days after she urged people to buy the president's daughter's range on Fox News.
I'm sure Conway will defend this as just 'alternate ethics'.
Old 14th February 2017, 04:46 PM   #2327
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post

I despise that woman but I'm not sure such a throwaway remark qualifies as such a breach of her obligations. I'm not familiar with how strict the US rules are on this, but it's not like she did a TV ad about Ivanka.
Old 14th February 2017, 04:48 PM   #2328
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I despise that woman but I'm not sure such a throwaway remark qualifies as such a breach of her obligations. I'm not familiar with how strict the US rules are on this, but it's not like she did a TV ad about Ivanka.
It did seem like an off-the-cuff, almost joking remark.

In poor taste, perhaps, but not the end of the world.

If you ask me, that is.

"I doubt that!" - James Randi
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2017, 05:00 PM   #2329
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
It did seem like an off-the-cuff, almost joking remark.

In poor taste, perhaps, but not the end of the world.

If you ask me, that is.
If the administration hadn't started out of the gate getting the big stuff wrong, little things like this are an indication that they're in no way prepared for the big stuff. The fact that they've been consistently screwing up the small stuff like following basic ethics guidelines and being consistent in their message does not bode well for their performance in the long term. This administration is like watching a Low A team attempt to play in the MLB.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2017, 05:01 PM   #2330
Bob001
Illuminator

She specifically said "ďIím going to give a free commercial here: Go buy it today, everybody; you can find it online.Ē
Quote:
Legal experts said Ms. Conway, whose title is counselor to the president, appeared to have violated that and possibly other conflict-of-interest rules, which do not apply to the president and vice president, but do apply to their staffs.
http://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/09/us...hics.html?_r=0

Also:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/09/news...and/index.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2017, 05:10 PM   #2331
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Forget ethics, Conway should be fired on grounds of incompetence. Still amazed that any professional P.R. person would have thought that Ivanka remark was funny or clever.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2017, 05:11 PM   #2332
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It's considered using The US Government to promote a private product, and that is pretty much verboten.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2017, 05:14 PM   #2333
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
She specifically said "ďIím going to give a free commercial here: Go buy it today, everybody; you can find it online.Ē
I know what she said. I'm simply saying that it doesn't sound like anything beyond a spur-of-the-moment, light comment. It may be verboten, but if you ask me it isn't egregious.
Old 14th February 2017, 05:33 PM   #2334
Civet
Muse

As much as I'm no fan of Conway or the eldritch abomination she serves, if something similar happened with an administration I respected I'd probably favor a stern written warning and some mandatory ethics counseling if it was the first time she'd done it.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2017, 05:47 PM   #2335
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Her job is to deflect attacks from her master, not admit they are accurate.
Old 14th February 2017, 05:52 PM   #2336
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

I know what she said. I'm simply saying that it doesn't sound like anything beyond a spur-of-the-moment, light comment. It may be verboten, but if you ask me it isn't egregious.
How does it stack up against sneaking across the border to find work, and having kids when you get to the U.S.?
Old 14th February 2017, 05:57 PM   #2337
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
OK, in light of today's events, I'm calling it. There will be no "President Tump: Part IV" thread on here, while Trump is still President. Things may go quickly in Part III but he'll be out of office before IV.
Will you please stop making these predictions. Every time you make one the universe conspires to prove you wrong and we suffer.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2017, 05:57 PM   #2338
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

So, uh, do you think we could have the swamp back please? The swamp seemed to know what it was doing.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2017, 06:24 PM   #2339
Arcade22
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Wouldn't this imply that Trump was covering for Flynn and/or that he simply didn't care if Flynn lied to the VP? The fact that Flynn lied to Pence alone shows the lack of trust between these two people despite the fact that Pence went out and defended him on national television. If Trump kept Pence in the dark it also shows that he has no respect for him either.

This is from an earlier report:

Quote:
President Trump said he plans to “look into” reports that his national security adviser, Michael T. Flynn, discussed sanctions in his pre-inauguration conversations with Russia’s ambassador to the United States and possibly misled administration officials about it.

“I don’t know about that. I haven’t seen it,” said Mr. Trump, speaking to reporters on Air Force One late Friday, during a flight to Florida from Washington. Several news outlets reported on Thursday that Mr. Flynn and Ambassador Sergei I. Kislyak had discussed sanctions that the Obama administration had imposed on Russia.

The White House has denied publicly that the two men discussed sanctions.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/10/u...sanctions.html
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2017, 06:36 PM   #2340
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Wouldn't this imply that Trump was covering for Flynn and/or that he simply didn't care if Flynn lied to the VP? The fact that Flynn lied to Pence alone shows the lack of trust between these two people despite the fact that Pence went out and defended him on national television. If Trump kept Pence in the dark it also shows that he has no respect for him either.
That's the crux of the problem. If Flynn's call to Kislyak was so innocent, why repeatedly lie about externally and internally?
Old 14th February 2017, 06:42 PM   #2341
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
How does it stack up against sneaking across the border to find work, and having kids when you get to the U.S.?
..what?
Old 14th February 2017, 06:47 PM   #2342
Arcade22
Illuminator

Quote:
Spicer also said it was Trump who demanded Flynnís resignation, an account that contradicts comments from White House senior adviser Kellyanne Conway, who said on Tuesday morning that Flynnís resignation was his own choice.

In his interview with the Daily Caller on Monday, Flynn presented himself as someone under scrutiny but also eager to rehab his image. He said Trump was still behind him.

ďHe expressed confidence,Ē Flynn said. ďThatís when he told me that we need to go out and talk more. So Iím going to do that.Ē

He added, ďI havenít been fighting back because Iím not that kind of guy. Iím behind the scenes. Iíve always been behind the scenes. But this is ridiculous. Itís so out of control. Iíve become an international celebrity for all the wrong reasons.Ē

Flynnís account appears to match up with comments from Conway on Monday afternoon, who said that Trump had ďfull confidenceĒ in Flynn. However, Spicer delivered a statement roughly an hour later that cast doubt on Flynnís future.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...fidence-235015

No one is protected from his lies and dishonesty. It's pretty bad when neither you nor some of his closest aides can trust what your leader says.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2017, 06:50 PM   #2343
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
You gotta wonder: how much time and effort will congress muster to investigate this compared with the "Benghazi investigation"?
Rollin', rollin', rollin'
Rollin', rollin', rollin'
Snowball

I suspect you can watch the evolution of both Chaffetz and Ryan the same way the messages of Conway -> Spicer evolved over the last 24 hours.

Conway: President Trump has the utmost confidence in Flynn ...
Spicer: Trump has been evaluating the situation over the last 17 days ...

You can expect to hear more and more how Pence was out of the loop. Of course he may very well have been given I doubt Trump has let him into the Trump insider circle of corruption. Pence wasn't a long time friend of Trump before all this, was he?

Edited to add: Ah yes, before I even finished that post Chris Hayes is reporting Chaffetz is thinking about investigating the Mir-a-Lago security breach dinner, a safe means of shifting without looking like you're totally backtracking on your previous positions.

Ryan is bound to be next with some little, "this is different" excuse to flip flop on his Trump support.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 14th February 2017 at 06:53 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2017, 06:52 PM   #2344
trustbutverify
Philosopher

That's the crux of the problem. If Flynn's call to Kislyak was so innocent, why repeatedly lie about externally and internally?
And why did Putin's spokesman feel compelled to lie about the situation?

Quote:
Dmitry S. Peskov, the spokesman for Mr. Putin, declined to comment on Tuesday about the resignation, calling it an internal American affair. Just last Friday, in an evident attempt to help Mr. Flynn, Mr. Peskov had denied that the American official and the Russian ambassador had discussed sanctions. In resigning, Mr. Flynn conceded that they had.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2017, 06:56 PM   #2345
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

If the administration hadn't started out of the gate getting the big stuff wrong, little things like this are an indication that they're in no way prepared for the big stuff. The fact that they've been consistently screwing up the small stuff like following basic ethics guidelines and being consistent in their message does not bode well for their performance in the long term. This administration is like watching a Low A team attempt to play in the MLB.
I agree.

But did Conway show any sort of pattern of behavior regarding the promotion of goods prior to this? If not, I give her a bye. A dumb mistake and we all make them from time to time.

Plenty patterns of behavior in other regards to go after.

I think there's a "Principle of Charity" that I'd apply here. If she does it again, not so much.

Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2017, 06:57 PM   #2346
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Of course, he's probably already had talks with Ryan about waiting in the wings for the Trump impeachment.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2017, 06:58 PM   #2347
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

It's hard to believe the man that was in charge of the transition was out of the loop.
I have mixed feelings. As I posted above: "he may very well have been given I doubt Trump has let him into the Trump insider circle of corruption. Pence wasn't a long time friend of Trump before all this, was he?"

Can't you just picture all the Trump insiders shushing each other the minute Pence walks in the room?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 14th February 2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old 14th February 2017, 07:01 PM   #2348
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post

It's a side show, already looking pitiful next to the Flynn fiasco.
Old 14th February 2017, 07:06 PM   #2349
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
So, uh, do you think we could have the swamp back please? The swamp seemed to know what it was doing.
Old 14th February 2017, 07:10 PM   #2350
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I agree.

But did Conway show any sort of pattern of behavior regarding the promotion of goods prior to this? If not, I give her a bye. A dumb mistake and we all make them from time to time.

I think there's a "Principle of Charity" that I'd apply here. If she does it again, not so much.
It was the kind of idiotic blundering you'd expect from a local PTA, not the executive branch of the United States.

Wollen owns the stage
Old 14th February 2017, 07:18 PM   #2351
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
It was the kind of idiotic blundering you'd expect from a local PTA, not the executive branch of the United States.
So much for charity, then!

Old 14th February 2017, 07:22 PM   #2352
trustbutverify
Philosopher

That's actually me being charitable.

Wollen owns the stage
Old 14th February 2017, 07:22 PM   #2353
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I miss the Goo!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2017, 07:24 PM   #2354
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Here's the other part of the flap over Michael Flynn's conversation with the Russian ambassador. Sanctions were being put in place by the Obama Administration (AKA the U.S. Government) for Russian cyber attacks that were aimed at ensuring Trump's election. With or without Trump's knowledge, Flynn apparently passed along word the sanctions could be lifted once Trump was in office. The call between Flynn and the ambassador was on the 29th. Shortly thereafter Putin announced there would be no reciprocal sanctions by Russia. The next day Trump Tweeted:

Depending on what Trump knew (and when he knew it) this Tweet could seem a tad underhanded to say the least.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2017, 07:33 PM   #2355
Arcade22
Illuminator

If she doesn't want to be held to high standards then she shouldn't work as a spokesperson for the president of the USA. Then again Trump has managed to lower the level of prestige associated with that office to the degree that one shouldn't be surprised by gross incompetence by those working on their behalf.
Old 14th February 2017, 07:36 PM   #2356
Stacko
Philosopher

I agree.

She burned out any charity ages ago. She's just as much as compulsive liar as her boss. The Trump spokesliars all make sense in that they may be appearing on national TV but they're clearly performing for an audience of one. She knew the boss would love the lapse in ethics she displayed and he did.
Old 14th February 2017, 07:41 PM   #2357
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Here's the other part of the flap over Michael Flynn's conversation with the Russian ambassador. Sanctions were being put in place by the Obama Administration (AKA the U.S. Government) for Russian cyber attacks that were aimed at ensuring Trump's election. With or without Trump's knowledge, Flynn apparently passed along word the sanctions could be lifted once Trump was in office. The call between Flynn and the ambassador was on the 29th. Shortly thereafter Putin announced there would be no reciprocal sanctions by Russia. The next day Trump Tweeted:

Depending on what Trump knew (and when he knew it) this Tweet could seem a tad underhanded to say the least.
The timeline is curious:

Dec 29 - Obama administration announces sanctions against Russia for election interference

Dec 29 - Russia vows countermeasures

Dec 29 - Flynn discusses sanctions with Kislyak

Dec 30 - Russia backs off retaliation

Dec 30 - Trump makes that tweet
Old 14th February 2017, 07:46 PM   #2358
Stacko
Philosopher

Sessions doesn't see any reason to recuse himself from investigations into a campaign he was a surrogate and currently works for.

Quote:
Attorney General Jeff Sessions faced growing pressure on Tuesday to remove himself from any role in investigating President Trumpís aides and their relationship with Russia, but advisers to Mr. Sessions said he saw no need to do so.

The resignation of Michael T. Flynn as national security adviser over his conversations with the Russian ambassador gave new impetus to demands from Democrats and outside groups who say Mr. Sessions lacks the independence to oversee criminal investigations that might lead back to the White House. He and Mr. Flynn were both early and influential advisers in Mr. Trumpís presidential campaign.

Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, the Democratic leader, said Tuesday that under the Justice Departmentís guidelines on possible conflicts, that personal history should ďdisqualifyĒ Mr. Sessions from overseeing any investigations.
Old 14th February 2017, 07:51 PM   #2359
trustbutverify
Philosopher

The timeline is curious:

Dec 29 - Obama administration announces sanctions against Russia for election interference

Dec 29 - Russia vows countermeasures

Dec 29 - Flynn discusses sanctions with Kislyak

Dec 30 - Russia backs off retaliation

Dec 30 - Trump makes that tweet
If I were the cynical type, I'd say the whole operation was closely coordinated, in an effort to undermine the President.

Oh wait... I am the cynical type.

Wollen owns the stage
Old 14th February 2017, 07:57 PM   #2360
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

My guess here is that a certain number of the big Trump loyalists and sycophants, Flynn among them, and probably the simpering KellyAnne, will fall on their swords for the leader, but there will come a point when someone will not, and that between the backstabbing of the betrayed and the realization that the fearless leader cannot be so totally clueless about everything every time, scandals and wrongdoings and lies will start to stick.

Then again, there are a lot of people who think like Logger, and others who will do anything at all to piss off the liberals, even if they sink themselves doing it.

Since Russia is so prominent in the news, and sometimes it seems as if our whole government is becoming Russianized, I recall a joke - except it's only partially a joke, of course - told by some radio commentator some time ago, trying to explain why Russia is the way it is. A fairy godmother comes down to a Russian farmer, and says "I'll give you absolutely anything you want. You name it. The only kicker is that your neighbor will get it twice over." The farmer replies, "Ok, then, put out one of my eyes."

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics