ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 15th February 2017, 03:26 PM   #2481
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

One thing is sure:Any lessening of the sanctions or any other "friendly " gesture toward Russia as long as Putin is in charge has become politically toxic in the US. Even before this, the GOPers in both Houses of Congress were warning Trump,"Don't Go There". Now that is on steroids....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2017, 03:37 PM   #2482
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

Quote:
"There are two prerequisites for peace," said the Israeli prime minister. "First the Palestinians must recognise the Jewish state.
"Second, in any peace agreement, Israel must retain the overriding security control over the entire area west of the Jordan River."
What would the point of a Palestinian state be if it doesn't include the typical plenary powers of a sovereign to make their own decisions about access control or secure their citizens from foreign agents coming and kicking in their doors?

He's describing a (dual-)sovereign dependent (not that dissimilar from native reservations here in the U.S.), vassal state, or 'territory'.

"Security" control is merely a euphemism for "total" in this context. Palestine would be a state in name only.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 15th February 2017 at 03:38 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2017, 03:37 PM   #2483
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
A foreign power illegally breaks into computers and leaks private information in order to influence an election on behalf of their preferred candidate: Fine. Great.

Americans who presumably have the interests of this country in mind, risk their careers by illegally leaking information on a higher-up's illicit/questionable behavior: terrible.
Why, it's because they're trying to cover up for Hillary's loss, derpy derp derp.
Old 15th February 2017, 03:37 PM   #2484
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
A foreign power illegally breaks into computers and leaks private information in order to influence an election on behalf of their preferred candidate: Fine. Great.

Americans who presumably have the interests of this country in mind, risk their careers by illegally leaking information on a higher-up's illicit/questionable behavior: terrible.

And if Flynn did nothing wrong, why did the Donald fire him? This guy...
It's Hillarys fault apparently.

“People are trying to cover up for a terrible loss the Democrats had under Hillary Clinton.”
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2017, 03:52 PM   #2485
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I understand the distinction you are trying to make. I just don't agree with you.
Boo! Agree with me! Agree with me!!!

Quote:
Yeah, perhaps it was impromptu (although I think it stretches credulity to believe that Conway had no intention of complimenting the Ivanka product line when she was prepared to respond to questions about the Ivanka product line), but it was clearly a product endorsement. An ad.

No matter how you try and isolate it from that simple reality.
I didn't say it wasn't advertisement. In fact I believe I said it was exactly that. What I am saying is that I am giving her, in this specific instance, the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't a planned product promo.

Last edited by Argumemnon; 15th February 2017 at 03:56 PM.
Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2017, 03:55 PM   #2486
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Oh, I think the whole act is as phony as a 3 dollar bill
Do you know how to tell a phony 3 dollar bill from a real one? The litmus configuration.

Puzder, as reported, just withdrew his nomination as Labor secretary.
Man, I don't know how Trump can stand so much winning........
Maybe he's getting tired of it by now.
Old 15th February 2017, 04:59 PM   #2487
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Did that clown actually tweet that THE FBI shouldn't be involved in politics?
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2017, 05:17 PM   #2488
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
"Information is being illegally given to the failing @nytimes & @washingtonpost by the intelligence community (NSA and FBI?). Just like Russia,"

Gee, he LOVED the FBI when the CLinton E mail story investigation broke.....

Pathetic.Just Pathetic.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2017, 05:33 PM   #2489
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Yes, you're not dreaming. Hyper-hypocrisy on an exponential scale.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2017, 05:35 PM   #2490
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Pathetic.Just Pathetic.
You mean "sad". Three syllable words are for libtards. Or something.
Old 15th February 2017, 05:36 PM   #2491
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Puzder, as reported, just withdrew his nomination as Labor secretary.
Man, I don't know how Trump can stand so much winning........
An embarrassment of winnings. Enemies jealous. #sad

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2017, 05:44 PM   #2492
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Yup. That kinda stuck out for me too.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2017, 07:46 PM   #2493
sts60
Master Poster

November, tweeting about Pres. Obama in Florida:

"Looking at Air Force One @ MIA. Why is he campaigning instead of creating jobs & fixing Obamacare? Get back to work for the American people!"

This weekend: flying down to Mar-a-Lago (which doubled its fees after he was elected, for the third straight weekend), costing us taxpayers about $3M each time, but with an extra stop:

"Join me in Florida this Saturday at 5pm for a rally at the Orlando-Melbourne International Airport!"

I'm flying in there a few days later. I wonder if the stench will be gone.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2017, 08:58 PM   #2494
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

When are his loyal deplorables going to notice that he keeps packing them into airport hangars while he's en route to rubbing elbows with the elite he promised to defang?

The week ain't even over and it's already gone down as loss after loss after loss. If I was the leftwing Twitter Shock Corps, I'd get his favorite personaliities (Cuban, Arnold, Rosie, Jon Stewart, Hillary, Warren, et al) to Tweet to each bad announcement.

#Lost his reprehensible big business cabinet pick - Sluggo Puzder. What a loser.

#Loser-in-Chief blinks when China calls his bluff. Taking losing to a new art form.

#Flynn "resigns". Loser in the White House blames everyone but himself.

#Didja see the Abe eyeroll. Shorthand in Japanese for "What a loser!"

He'll do his Marty McFly "chicken" bit and go ballistic.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2017, 10:13 PM   #2495
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

"’ll have them [devilish spirits] wall all Germany with brass,
And make swift Rhine circle fair Wertenberg;
I’ll have them fill the public schools with silk,
Wherewith the students shall be bravely clad;
I’ll levy soldiers with the coin they bring,
And chase the Prince of Parma from our land,
And reign sole king of all the provinces;
Yea, stranger engines for the brunt of war,
Than was the fiery keel at Antwerp-bridge,
I’ll make my servile spirits to invent.
" (Marlowe)

It might be remembered that Dr. Faustus did not come to a good end.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2017, 10:26 PM   #2496
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

#Lost his reprehensible big business cabinet pick - Sluggo Puzder. What a loser.
What a name. You are kidding, right? Sorry I have to ask, but nothing surprises me these days.

Quote:
#Loser-in-Chief blinks when China calls his bluff. Taking losing to a new art form.

#Flynn "resigns". Loser in the White House blames everyone but himself.

#Didja see the Abe eyeroll. Shorthand in Japanese for "What a loser!"

He'll do his Marty McFly "chicken" bit and go ballistic.
Easy for you to say because you've taken the spin out of it, but then where's the beef, eh? Not on Hillary Clinton's kebab, cuz she's like a real loser.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2017, 11:05 PM   #2497
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
What a name. You are kidding, right? Sorry I have to ask, but nothing surprises me these days.

Easy for you to say because you've taken the spin out of it, but then where's the beef, eh? Not on Hillary Clinton's kebab, cuz she's like a real loser.
I made up the "Sluggo" part. In case you've missed this, he's pulled out of consideration because tape surfaced of his ex-wife accusing him of abuse. Honestly, I was gonna call him "LookWhatYouMadeMeDo Puzder" but thought the better of it.
Old 15th February 2017, 11:09 PM   #2498
The Great Zaganza
Graduate Poster

"Information is being illegally given to the failing @nytimes & @washingtonpost by the intelligence community (NSA and FBI?). Just like Russia,"
I don't get what he wants to say.
Does he claim that Russian Intelligence leaks to Russian media to discredit people?
I thought he admired the way Russia is run.
Old 15th February 2017, 11:10 PM   #2499
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Trumpy is holding a campaign style rally in Florida this weekend.......he just cannot get out of Campaign [self adulation] mode.
Reliving Past Glories. Reminds me of Captain Queeg and the Strawberries.....
ftfy
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2017, 11:29 PM   #2500
Bob001
Illuminator

The Trumpbots do stuff they know is crazy because Trump makes them:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...=.df6458724ae7
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2017, 11:32 PM   #2501
KatieG
Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry

Trumpy is holding a campaign style rally in Florida this weekend.......he just cannot get out of Campaign mode.
Reliving Past Glories. Reminds me of Captain Queeg and the Strawberries.....
Bogart's best performance!

I'm just gonna go pack up and head to hell right now.
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 01:01 AM   #2502
erwinl
Graduate Poster

This whole mess with Trump reminds me so much of one of our cabinets. The one of Balkenende I.

That one came into being following the murder of one of the populist leaders Pim Fortuyn. and contained a lot of people who had no previous experience in politics whatsoever (al lot were businessmen).
This cabinet was instable from the get go and was characterised with amateurish actions and a lot of infighting.
It all culminated with a childish signed postal card, with alle the signatures of the mebers of to cabinet on it, to the parliament showing that the cabinet was rerally, honestly a stable government.
That was just before this cabinet fell, making it the shortest reigning cabinet in Dutch history and triggering new elections.

Now. Circumstances these days are very different and so is the American political structure.
But still. I can't lose this feeling of Deja Vu.
Old 16th February 2017, 01:04 AM   #2503
TheRealnz
Critical Thinker

Pres Trump takes another win.For the small sacrifice of Flynn, He got the #deepstate to out itself. It's no longer a Conspiracy theory.
TheRealnz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 01:13 AM   #2504
The Great Zaganza
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TheRealnz View Post
Pres Trump takes another win.For the small sacrifice of Flynn, He got the #deepstate to out itself. It's no longer a Conspiracy theory.
Oh my god!
US agencies tasked with guarding against foreign interference are doing their job?
The horror!
Old 16th February 2017, 01:14 AM   #2505
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Sometimes it really does say it all:

Old 16th February 2017, 02:44 AM   #2506
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Cheer up Donald. You still got the Prison Planet vote.

Wollen owns the stage
Old 16th February 2017, 02:55 AM   #2507
Mumbles
Illuminator

Well...they shouldn't.

But they routinely are.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 02:58 AM   #2508
Mumbles
Illuminator

Amusing.

That's a loss for Toupee Fiasco. Hopefully one of many.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 02:58 AM   #2509
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I thought you were pro-transparency. What happened?

Wollen owns the stage
Old 16th February 2017, 03:17 AM   #2510
Mumbles
Illuminator

Yeah, he is withdrawing on his own the same way that Flynn quit on his own.......

It is amusing how many in the Trump administration are turning out to be "Snowflakes"
Indeed.

Flynn should have never been picked for anything...but that's true of many choices Cheeto Benito made.
Old 16th February 2017, 04:32 AM   #2511
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

(from "President Trump (part I)" thread)
Quote:
19th January 2017, 11:31 AM #3601
alfaniner

This may be my ultimate prediction --
Saturday's headlines read simply "CHAOS".
Well, it took less than a month...
CNN website headline this morning
Quote:
Chaos is the norm in Trump White House
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 04:35 AM   #2512
Stacko
Philosopher

In what I'm sure is a complete coincidence, China finally awarded him a trademark for his brand. He had been unsuccessfully pursuing that since at least '06.

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/20...new-trademark/
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 05:20 AM   #2513
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Chaffetz asks Justice IG to investigate leaks about Flynn

Quote:
In a letter addressed to inspector general Michael Horowitz released Wednesday, Chaffetz expressed concern over "potentially classified national security information" circulated in recent news reports leading up to the resignation of the former national security adviser.

"We have serious concerns about the potential inadequate protection of classified information here," he said. "In light of this, we request that your office begin an immediate investigation into whether classified information was mishandled here."

Chaffetz told reporters on Tuesday, following Flynn's resignation, that he had no plans to have the Oversight Committee investigate Flynn's communications with Russian officials, saying that the situation was "working itself out."
I wanted to start a thread specifically about Chaffetz investigations under the Trump administration, but I'm not sure in what subforum: USA Politics, Humor or Abandon All Hope.

One wonders what should happen before the GOP establishment gets serious about Trump.
Old 16th February 2017, 05:23 AM   #2514
uke2se
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Chaffetz asks Justice IG to investigate leaks about Flynn

I wanted to start a thread specifically about Chaffetz investigations under the Trump administration, but I'm not sure in what subforum: USA Politics, Humor or Abandon All Hope.

One wonders what should happen before the GOP establishment gets serious about Trump.
If he stops signing their legislation they'll come after him. Until then, he has free reign. It's up to the grown-ups in the Democratic party and the intelligence agencies to get Trump's dirty laundry to the American people. Enough outrage and you can force action from the traitors in Congress, under threat of armed rebellion.
Old 16th February 2017, 05:37 AM   #2515
Firestone

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
If he stops signing their legislation they'll come after him. Until then, he has free reign.
You are probably correct.

This will require some spagat from Trump in 2020: again running as a working class hero after spending his term signing the GOP bills favoring the rich.
Old 16th February 2017, 05:38 AM   #2516
uke2se
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
You are probably correct.

This will require some spagat from Trump in 2020: again running as a working class hero after spending his term signing the GOP bills favoring the rich.
There's no problem there. The people who vote for him are idiots aren't interested in facts.
Old 16th February 2017, 05:51 AM   #2517
Firestone

Trump on Twitter: "Leaking, and even illegal classified leaking, has been a big problem in Washington for years. Failing @nytimes (and others) must apologize!"

Isn't this an admission that the NYT story about contacts between his campaign and the Russians is correct?
Old 16th February 2017, 05:51 AM   #2518
TofuFighter
Muse

Thought I'd pop over to Breitbart comments section to get a feeling of Trump supporters have to say about what is going on with the administration. That's a little too rife with conspiracy though.
Is there another place that someone can recommend where I'd be able to read what Trump supporters are expressing?
Old 16th February 2017, 06:01 AM   #2519
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
Thought I'd pop over to Breitbart comments section to get a feeling of Trump supporters have to say about what is going on with the administration. That's a little too rife with conspiracy though.
Is there another place that someone can recommend where I'd be able to read what Trump supporters are expressing?

I suspect that you've ended up in the right place, you just find it difficult to believe that such low-grade thinking is representative of any more than a fringe element. I think you're probably wrong - that is how they think.

We are lions, not tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 06:14 AM   #2520
TofuFighter
Muse

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I suspect that you've ended up in the right place, you just find it difficult to believe that such low-grade thinking is representative of any more than a fringe element. I think you're probably wrong - that is how they think.
Thanks. I'm still doubtful, which is why I'd like to look somewhere other than Breitbart. I guess I could try facebook. ugh.
Maybe it is only the fringe elements who choose to comment on Breitbart articles. Maybe the ordinary nose-holding Trump voters, or the issue-specific (tax/abortion) voters, aren't voicing their opinions at the moment while the focus is on other policies.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics