ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 16th February 2017, 05:06 PM   #2601
Civet
Muse

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
If the deficit is no object - and the debt ceiling has already been raised without a murmur - then cut-tax-and-spend on infrastructure and military could generate a four-year boom. Stock-markets seem to be expecting something of the sort.
Sounds about right to me. Lots of Republicans only seem to get really upset about deficits when Democrats are the ones spending the money. True ideological fiscal conservatives would complain, of course, but it's not like they're going to defect or anything.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 05:09 PM   #2602
Civet
Muse

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think you overestimate the ability of US Government to create a boom. Not to mention that stupid trade policies could kill the economy.
And Stock Markets seem to be very concerned a bout what Trump might do .
Idiotic trade policies could indeed hurt Trump (and all of us). I suspect that this is one area where Republicans in Congress might earn their keep and reign him in a bit. Not sure about that though.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 05:11 PM   #2603
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Needless to say, that is not an opinion shared universally by psychiatrists. I would say that Trump's inability to stop himself says a lot about how one should define a disorder. If someone with OCD gets by with the diagnosis without complete failure to cope, does that mean they don't have OCD? And where does that leave the persons with serious depression who are otherwise going to work and managing to eat and bathe? Are they not really depressed, just sad?
The guy didn't argue that Trump wasn't a narcissist; merely that he could not be remotely "diagnosed" with NPD specifically.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 05:12 PM   #2604
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I can't wait to see Don Lemon's show on CNN tonight. (Trump mentioned that one specifically). Last night he couldn't keep a straight face with the stuff he, Conway, and Spicer were saying.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 05:13 PM   #2605
Stacko
Philosopher

Whoa! Fox News' Shep Smith is angry and on point.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 05:18 PM   #2606
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
Idiotic trade policies could indeed hurt Trump (and all of us). I suspect that this is one area where Republicans in Congress might earn their keep and reign him in a bit. Not sure about that though.
I aslo think they might reign in him on spending...a lot of deficit hawks in Congress.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 05:19 PM   #2607
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I can't wait to see Don Lemon's show on CNN tonight. (Trump mentioned that one specifically). Last night he couldn't keep a straight face with the stuff he, Conway, and Spicer were saying.
Hell, I can't wait for SNL this weekend...though I think that the Writers and Alec Baldwin, after watching the News conference, are saying "How The Hell Can We Top That?".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 05:21 PM   #2608
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Foxnews might have a real dilemma in the future:Sooner or later there is going to a major rupture between Trump and the GOPers in Congress. Then whose side do they take?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 16th February 2017, 05:22 PM   #2609
Mumbles
Illuminator

You can't just send jobs to Rust Belt communities. Most of the major military contractors are in the Sun Belt for obvious reasons:the Good weather for testing.
Heh. That'll just benefit us.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 05:26 PM   #2610
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Balls.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 05:37 PM   #2611
Civet
Muse

I aslo think they might reign in him on spending...a lot of deficit hawks in Congress.
Possibly. I genuinely can't tell which of them actually care about deficits and which ones were just using that as a rhetorical weapon against the Obama administration.
Old 16th February 2017, 05:38 PM   #2612
Mumbles
Illuminator

Well, in any case, we'll clap back.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 05:48 PM   #2613
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump's choice to replace Flynn,Robert Harward, just turned down the job.
Jake Tapper tweeted that a friend of Harward's said Harward described the job as being "A Big S--T Sandwich".
Hey, Annapolis does not graduate idiots....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 16th February 2017, 06:04 PM   #2614
Stacko
Philosopher

Harward wanted his own people on the NSC and not Bannon's Freaks. Trumps micromanaging blew the deal.

Quote:
Two sources close to the situation confirm*Harward demanded his own team, and the White House resisted.

Specifically, Mr. Trump told Deputy National Security Adviser K. T. McFarland that she could retain her post, even after the ouster of National Security Adviser Michael Flynn. Harward refused to keep McFarland as his deputy, and after a day of negotiations over this and other staffing matters, Harward declined to serve as Flynn’s replacement.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 06:11 PM   #2615
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Hell, I can't wait for SNL this weekend...though I think that the Writers and Alec Baldwin, after watching the News conference, are saying "How The Hell Can We Top That?".
I swear that for the last year, almost everyday I would think that the Trump show couldn't get any crazier and I swear just about every day Trump keeps proving me wrong. This NUT has the nuclear launch codes for Christ sakes. Gives me the shivers.
Old 16th February 2017, 06:18 PM   #2616
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I swear that for the last year, almost everyday I would think that the Trump show couldn't get any crazier and I swear just about every day Trump keeps proving me wrong. This NUT has the nuclear launch codes for Christ sakes. Gives me the shivers.
That tangent about nuclear holocaust in today's presser was concerning.
Old 16th February 2017, 06:20 PM   #2617
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

On another site somebody just posted what the think Harward's thoughs were:

'I have been a Navy Seal for over 20 years. I have been parachuting and swimming into the worst Danger Zones on the planet. And now you want me to jump into a snakepit full of liars, conmen,backstabbers,bigots,nutcases and just plain idiots, without a back up plan. And you are going pay me much less then I am making now??"

Robert Heinlein.
Old 16th February 2017, 06:23 PM   #2618
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Hell, any stray guest at the Margo Largo might have the Nuclear Launch Codes.......

Robert Heinlein.
Old 16th February 2017, 06:23 PM   #2619
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

I dare say he's a walking, talking gish gallop. Not necessarily practiced or thoughtful enough to achieve the full effect, but the rapid fire delivery and labored response in comparison is part of how he blusters his way through deal-making. Another tactic I'm advocating is not to let him pick the topic. Shut down the worst untruths where necessary and pivot to another topic (ideally something of more consequence). We didn't see much reporting on the mosque shooting in Canada in part because the press was refuting Trump's claim that the press doesn't cover terrorism. So we ignore a white nationalist crime to rehash Islamic extremism because the press was more worried about defending their integrity.

They got played.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 16th February 2017 at 06:25 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 06:25 PM   #2620
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Fixed.
Weird, I thought I fixed it, must have done it twice.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 06:27 PM   #2621
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

A man who spent nearly 40 years in the Military, much of it in the most high risk unit in the US Military,refuses to serve with Donald Trump as President. Nothing can be more damning about the character of Donald Trump.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 16th February 2017, 06:33 PM   #2622
Bob001
Illuminator

Trump family's travel costs could total hundreds of millions of dollars over four years. Just one example:
Quote:
In New York, the city is paying $500,000 a day to guard Trump Tower, according to police officials’ estimates, an amount that could reach $183 million a year.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.9d206096da27
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 06:44 PM   #2623
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Though right-leaning, Fox News can occasionally be "balanced" after all.

I thought the Trump's news conference was terrible, but even at that I thought the CNN coverage immediately after was a bit over-the-top.

"I doubt that!" - James Randi
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 06:52 PM   #2624
Babbylonian
Philosopher

While I have no doubt that he suffers from a debilitating combination of personality disorders and dementia, his being crazy isn't the biggest problem right now. The biggest problem is that the executive branch is run by one person and the person who was elected doesn't have the slightest idea how to do the job, and he doesn't know the right people to teach him how to do it if he was in any way capable (he isn't).
Old 16th February 2017, 06:54 PM   #2625
Minoosh
Philosopher

Foxnews might have a real dilemma in the future:Sooner or later there is going to a major rupture between Trump and the GOPers in Congress. Then whose side do they take?
Probably the side that Rupert Murdoch wants them to take.

The best course for Fox IMO is to not take a side - cover both (or however many sides) fairly and in good faith, something that will be a learning experience for some Fox staffers. Others, I'm fairly sure, deeply want to do some real reporting.

Last edited by Minoosh; 16th February 2017 at 06:55 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 06:57 PM   #2626
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Though right-leaning, Fox News can occasionally be "balanced" after all.

I thought the Trump's news conference was terrible, but even at that I thought the CNN coverage immediately after was a bit over-the-top.
Right-leaning? I'd say that's a vast understatement. Smith has been destroying Trump for some months now, and firing him during this time would be a terrible look, so I give its management (those not yet forced to leave over sexual harassment charges) credit for avoiding that mistake.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 07:31 PM   #2627
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
I saw that earlier, and while I agree that the diagnosis isn't very useful in a 'what we can do about him' sort of way, I'm curious about the reasons he gives for Trump not having NPD. 'Doesn't experience distress but causes it,' isn't actually at odds with NPD. 'Is rewarded for it' doesn't seem to allow confounding factors such as, 'he really shouldn't be'.

I've seen several friends in the mental healthcare community comment along the lines of, 'good impulse, wrong conclusion', including one whose mother has NPD and is a mental healthcare professional. Harping on the NPD aspect of Trump isn't useful for combating Trump, it certainly doesn't help the view of people needing help with mental health issues, but neither of those things means the diagnosis is actually wrong.
I don't know, but I will certainly defer to this obvious expert.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 07:35 PM   #2628
Minoosh
Philosopher

On another site somebody just posted what the think Harward's thoughs were:

'I have been a Navy Seal for over 20 years. I have been parachuting and swimming into the worst Danger Zones on the planet. And now you want me to jump into a snakepit full of liars, conmen,backstabbers,bigots,nutcases and just plain idiots, without a back up plan. And you are going pay me much less then I am making now??"
Someone will probably spread that as a genuine Harward quote and use it to call him a traitor. It's a nifty sentence, I can see the temptation to write it, but in general I don't think it's helpful to put hypothetical words in someone else's mouth.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 07:50 PM   #2629
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Someone will probably spread that as a genuine Harward quote and use it to call him a traitor. It's a nifty sentence, I can see the temptation to write it, but in general I don't think it's helpful to put hypothetical words in someone else's mouth.
Well, CNN is reporting this:

"A friend of Harward's said he was reluctant to take the job because the White House seems so chaotic. Harward called the offer a "s*** sandwich," the friend said."

"I doubt that!" - James Randi
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 07:51 PM   #2630
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
And it's not as good as "**** sandwich" anyhow.
Old 16th February 2017, 07:54 PM   #2631
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Criticising named individuals - they can respond, and the crticism can be evaluated against the evidence - is entirely different to what Trump is doing. Trump is wallpapering the media as a whole with accusations of mendacity and bias. The only purpose can be to de-legitimise the media in the minds of his followers - and in his own, of course : objective reality is highly discomfiting for people like Trump. They find the very concept discomfiting, in fact.
He's also doing what's known in theater as "papering the house" for his and Spicer's press conferences. They've added a right wing fake news site to the press corps, not to mention the conveniently friendly talk radio remote questioners via Skype. And when that doesn't work, we had one presser where they (not sure if it was Spicer or Trump) called on questioners from only Murdoch-owned properties.

And still he screws up.... why did he take a question from April Ryan, if not to try to set up some sort of gotcha. And his version of a "gotcha".... asking her to set up a meeting for him with the Congressional Black Caucus.

He's a clueless dolt. That was playing to his redneck following. Hunh hunh let's embarrass her. He shure got her! Blatant racism. Why the hell would you assume some reporter could set up such a meeting? Because she's black? I mean, you know how they all think alike and insist on hanging out and living together in those ghettos. "Say, brother. Can you get me some Globetrotter tickets? I mean, like you're black and stuff, right?"

He's the *********** President of the United States, has a Republican Senate and a Republican House and can't find out where the Capitol Building is? The exchange is extraordinary.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...il-ryan-235102
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 07:59 PM   #2632
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Just something on the lighter side. Did you know Ivanka Trump had plastic surgery and facial injections over the years? I didn't. Ivanka, who is 35, apparently had work done on her nose and chin. Did she look more 'Trump' prior to the work? That's what they say.

Someone sent me this from another forum:

Here's a website with more info. Link (Apparently Melania has had some 'work' done too.)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 08:14 PM   #2633
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Trump's choice to replace Flynn,Robert Harward, just turned down the job.
Jake Tapper tweeted that a friend of Harward's said Harward described the job as being "A Big S--T Sandwich".
Hey, Annapolis does not graduate idiots....
But in the positive news(cough) department, they've come up with a new nominee for the Labor job.

At what point does Casey Stengel come up out of the dugout and ask "Doesn't anyone here know how to play this game?"

Who sat in on the conversation?
"Well, boss, we've got this guy Acosta down in Miami. He's a party loyalist, knows nothing about labor, and must be some kind of minority."
Trump: "Yeah, I've heard of him but can't remember from where. He was a good guy, I remember."

Did no one say, "Uh, Mr. Trump, do you really want your name and Jeffrey Epstein's appearing in the same article... again?"

Acosta is the guy who brokered the deal to let Epstein virtually walk as long as he pled to a lower offense and then pretended outrage that the victims (who weren't even consulted) hadn't come forward and that Epstein spent 13 months in a white collar lockup.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 08:25 PM   #2634
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
And it's not as good as "**** sandwich" anyhow.
Pith matters.
Old 16th February 2017, 08:26 PM   #2635
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I don't know, but I will certainly defer to this obvious expert.
Why? It's not like his opinion is universal among psychiatrists.

But that aside, all he's arguing is over applying the "mentally ill" label. He's not arguing that Trump's behavior is peachy-keen or that Trump is really a competent POTUS, which is the bottom line and more relevant than the label anyway.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 08:29 PM   #2636
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Just something on the lighter side. Did you know Ivanka Trump had plastic surgery and facial injections over the years? I didn't. Ivanka, who is 35, apparently had work done on her nose and chin. Did she look more 'Trump' prior to the work? That's what they say.

Someone sent me this from another forum:

Here's a website with more info. Link (Apparently Melania has had some 'work' done too.)
I dunno, Ivanka then looks an awful lot like Chelsea then and now.

That aside, all of the Trump clan look like Stepford people. Have you ever seen any of them without a stiffly straight posture?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 16th February 2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 16th February 2017, 08:51 PM   #2637
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Well, CNN is reporting this:

"A friend of Harward's said he was reluctant to take the job because the White House seems so chaotic. Harward called the offer a "s*** sandwich," the friend said."
Someone posted that a few posts ago in this section.

To paraphrase a line from "Patton":

"A Man that eleoquent must not get involved int the trainwreck that is the Trump Adminstration".

Robert Heinlein.
Old 16th February 2017, 09:29 PM   #2638
newyorkguy
Philosopher

I don't see too much resemblance between Ivanka and Chelsea. (Ironically they're supposed to be fairly good friends.)

newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 09:54 PM   #2639
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I don't see too much resemblance between Ivanka and Chelsea. (Ironically they're supposed to be fairly good friends.)

I see it.

Maybe it's the angle.
Old 16th February 2017, 10:30 PM   #2640
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Wait! So what you guys are saying is Ivanka is Bubba and Ivana's love child? No wonder Teh Donald hates him so much.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics