ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 16th February 2017, 10:34 PM   #2641
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
You can't just send jobs to Rust Belt communities. Most of the major military contractors are in the Sun Belt for obvious reasons:the Good weather for testing.

You misspelled "'Right to Work' laws".
Old 16th February 2017, 10:35 PM   #2642
Bob001
Illuminator

Trump gets his name trademarked in China, but it's only one of many:
Quote:
In China alone he has 49 pending trademark applications and 77 marks already registered in his own name, most of which will come up for renewal during his term.
http://abcnews.go.com/International/...emark-45504953
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 10:37 PM   #2643
The Great Zaganza
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Wait! So what you guys are saying is Ivanka is Bubba and Ivana's love child? No wonder Teh Donald hates him so much.
But it makes his attraction for her slightly less creepy...
Old 16th February 2017, 10:45 PM   #2644
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Foxnews might have a real dilemma in the future:Sooner or later there is going to a major rupture between Trump and the GOPers in Congress. Then whose side do they take?

Whose audience draw will attract the most advertisers?
Old 16th February 2017, 10:52 PM   #2645
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
That tangent about nuclear holocaust in today's presser was concerning.
"... a nuclear holocaust like no other."
The very best nuclear holocaust!
Old 16th February 2017, 11:16 PM   #2646
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Wait! So what you guys are saying is Ivanka is Bubba and Ivana's love child? No wonder Teh Donald hates him so much.
Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
You misspelled "'Right to Work' laws".
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
But it makes his attraction for her slightly less creepy...
I love this forum.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 12:12 AM   #2647
SezMe
post-pre-born

I aslo think they might reign in him on spending...a lot of deficit hawks in Congress.
I don't remember hearing much blowback when Ryan pushed the debt limit by $9Billion.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 01:01 AM   #2648
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
I don't remember hearing much blowback when Ryan pushed the debt limit by $9Billion.
Saw that. All the grandstanders must have been away that day.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 01:08 AM   #2649
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

...and yet despite Trump's rocky start to his Presidency and the car crash that was his latest press conference, the criticism from senior GOP figures has been deafening in its absence. I can only conclude that senior GOP figures are happy about the way things are going (including the fact that the Executive branch seems to want to ride roughshod over the Legal and Legislative branches). This in turn indicates that they are coming under no significant pressure from their constituents and donors.

All of this indicates to me that a sizeable chunk of people are perfectly happy with the Trump presidency despite the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the left, and the non-right-wing press
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 01:17 AM   #2650
Civet
Muse

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
...and yet despite Trump's rocky start to his Presidency and the car crash that was his latest press conference, the criticism from senior GOP figures has been deafening in its absence. I can only conclude that senior GOP figures are happy about the way things are going (including the fact that the Executive branch seems to want to ride roughshod over the Legal and Legislative branches). This in turn indicates that they are coming under no significant pressure from their constituents and donors.

All of this indicates to me that a sizeable chunk of people are perfectly happy with the Trump presidency despite the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the left, and the non-right-wing press
Lindsey Graham and John McCain have been willing to have a go at him. By and large, though, I get the impression that most people angry at or disgusted with Trump are the same people who felt that way before the election. Not seeing a lot of turncoats or backsliders.
Civet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 01:19 AM   #2651
McHrozni
Philosopher

A Pew poll on Trump:

http://www.people-press.org/2017/02/...ply-polarized/

It's quite detailed, and it shows most voters rank Trump poorly on most issues. The only one he really does well is that he's truthful and does what he promises. That's entirely accurate, but with him that's a bad thing.

It may take a while, but barring major changes his poll numbers should dive eventually, I hope it will be in time for a 2018 election debacle.

McHrozni
Old 17th February 2017, 01:23 AM   #2652
McHrozni
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

Much of the gnashing of teeth from non-right-wing press is overboard. Trump is bad, certainly, but there is no indication he's an evil monster who will become Emperor of USA or anything like that. He's a buffoon who disregards protocol and wants attention. More importantly, he's an impressionable buffoon you can make do what you want if you know how.

As much as he rallies against the establishment, he's doing their bidding every time it becomes relevant. That's why the establishment doesn't fight him all that much. They'll turn against him if he threatens them or if he becomes a major drag on the polls, which I hope will happen before the end of the year.

McHrozni
Old 17th February 2017, 01:25 AM   #2653
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
Lindsey Graham and John McCain have been willing to have a go at him. By and large, though, I get the impression that most people angry at or disgusted with Trump are the same people who felt that way before the election. Not seeing a lot of turncoats or backsliders.
Maybe it's not being reported over here in the UK then. Those senior GOPers who were critical of Trump prior to his selection as candidate or prior to his election seem to have been silent since his inauguration.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 01:26 AM   #2654
The Great Zaganza
Graduate Poster

The truth about the last decades of US politics has been to take power away from Congress and to give it to the states and the president: by paralyzing the legislature, local regulations and executive orders have become the norm if you wanted to get anything done.
Republicans did their best to prevent Obama from doing anything, further strengthening the influence of the States.
Trump is effectively sabotaging the White House from doing anything, effectively achieving the same result.
Old 17th February 2017, 01:28 AM   #2655
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Who's going to do the musical of Trump? Hope it's not Sir Andrew Lloyd Weber.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 01:29 AM   #2656
Civet
Muse

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
A Pew poll on Trump:

It's quite detailed, and it shows most voters rank Trump poorly on most issues. The only one he really does well is that he's truthful and does what he promises. That's entirely accurate, but with him that's a bad thing.

It may take a while, but barring major changes his poll numbers should dive eventually, I hope it will be in time for a 2018 election debacle.

McHrozni
Hokey smokes Bullwinkle, that's even worse that I expected. Republicans are loving Trump even more than I thought. He's as popular with Republicans as Obama was with Democrats in the beginning.
Civet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 01:30 AM   #2657
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
That just shows Founding Fathers designed a superb system because even though Congress and POTUS share the same party affiliation, the former is clearly cracking down on the latter. Ryan's holding Trump accountable. The only way this could be concerning is if they raised the debt ceiling by nine trillion dollars. Thank God we're no where close to that nightmare scenario.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 01:49 AM   #2658
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I swear that for the last year, almost everyday I would think that the Trump show couldn't get any crazier and I swear just about every day Trump keeps proving me wrong. This NUT has the nuclear launch codes for Christ sakes. Gives me the shivers.
I was never bothered about nuclear holocaust, I mean The USA survived the last holocaust, but last night Trump opened my eyes, did you know a nuclear holocaust will be bad, it will effect non-Jewish as well! From Trump :
“And I can tell you one thing about a briefing that we’re allowed to say, because anybody that ever read the most basic book can say it: Nuclear holocaust would be like no other. They’re a very powerful nuclear country and so are we. If we have a good relationship with Russia, believe me, that’s a good thing, not a bad thing.”
Old 17th February 2017, 01:56 AM   #2659
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Pith matters.
Well it does show Trump dodged a bullet there, he didn't know the ex-seal had a potty mouth. Sad.
Old 17th February 2017, 02:46 AM   #2660
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

TO criticize the MSM is one thing.....there is a lot to be criticized. But to go into a rant like that one is something completely different.
Problem is that Trump considers anything other then blind praise and adulation to be "unfair coverage".
He might have made his hardline supporters happy, but a lot of people..including quite a few who voted for him..are going WTF?
The BBC journalist made a good comment yesterday and that is how much TV Trump has the time to watch! He's obviously glued to the shows he hates so much for hours at a time. Fox News TV reviewer as next job?
Old 17th February 2017, 02:47 AM   #2661
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Donald Trump aide accuses BBC of 'fake news'

In a heated exchange between Newsnight's Evan Davis and an aide to President Trump, both the presenter and the BBC were accused of "fake news".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39000118
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 02:52 AM   #2662
3point14
Pi

I've decided that Trump is the end result of the same driving force that believes how teeth look is more important than how they work

We are lions, not tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 02:52 AM   #2663
The Great Zaganza
Graduate Poster

We can expect a deluge of Twitter rants on how misunderstood he was at the press conference...
Old 17th February 2017, 02:53 AM   #2664
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

In a heated exchange between Newsnight's Evan Davis and an aide to President Trump, both the presenter and the BBC were accused of "fake news".

I mean it's hardly surprising. Anything that doesn't portray Trump in an unqualified positive light is dismissed as fake news. IMO he'll eventually refuse access to "fake news" outlets and he, and the GOP will focus on communicating with those people that they need to get re-elected.
Old 17th February 2017, 03:02 AM   #2665
TofuFighter
Muse

I think we are coming to a major disagreement . I despise Trump,but I don't buy the All Republicans are Stupid of Evil routine I am seeing here.
A great many Republians voted for Trump holding their nose. I think the idea of President Pence will start to sound pretty good to them. I don't like Pence much,but at least he is mentally stable....
"Mike Pence is an abhorrent bigot of middling intellect & I'd be extremely grateful to have him take over the Presidency as soon as possible" - (@rmayemsinger)

Having Pence take over the presidency should theoretically make the 'drain the swamp' and anti-pc Trump voters apoplectic. Pence is the definition of a career politician. The entire stick-it-to-em thrust would be considered a grand failure.

That said, I think it's wishful thinking at this stage.
Old 17th February 2017, 03:47 AM   #2666
TofuFighter
Muse

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

I was watching the BBC news on wednesday (I listen to the BBC World news in the morning) and Adnan Nawaz was doing a cam interview with UCLA professor (of politics/expert on the presidency - i can't remember his name) in which Nawaz uncharacteristically asked "Is there a problem with the president's intellect?" ie. the way Trump analyses/dismisses news reports and responds. O.o I was surprised. The response was roughly "well, it's a problem that it's a question that has to be asked".

It's difficult to think of Trump as unintelligent, and yet I do not get the impression that he is in any way a critical thinker. I think he's completely blinded by his own bias and really believes that most of the press reports are false and unfair because he cannot view himself or his actions even slightly objectively.
Old 17th February 2017, 04:37 AM   #2667
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
Hokey smokes Bullwinkle, that's even worse that I expected. Republicans are loving Trump even more than I thought. He's as popular with Republicans as Obama was with Democrats in the beginning.
Trump is the Republican party now so that's not surprising. Trump fans like Trump is a new weird tautological story the media is enamoured with. What you need to do with these is track what percentage of respondents is GOP/leans GOP which is at 38.6% in that poll and that matches his approval rating so that implies he has a massive independent support problem already.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 04:43 AM   #2668
Stacko
Philosopher

That press conference was full of gems. Like he just learned the congressional black caucus exists and then assumes all black people know each other.

Quote:
“Am I going to include who?” he asked.

“Are you going to include the Congressional Black Caucus,” Ryan, who is black, asked, “and the Congressional Hispanic Caucus as well as …?”

“Well, I would,” Trump interrupted. “Tell you what, do you want to set up the meeting? Do you want to set up the meeting? Are they friends of yours? Set up a meeting.”

Ryan pointed out to the president that she is a journalist and that, while she does know members of the CBC, that’s not her role. “I’m sure some of them are watching right now,” she added.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 05:22 AM   #2669
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

His thing yesterday went very well, says everyone except the Fake media.

Even Rush Limbaugh vouches for Trump:

"Thank you for all of the nice statements on the Press Conference yesterday. Rush Limbaugh said one of greatest ever. Fake media not happy!"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...55987299082242
Old 17th February 2017, 05:38 AM   #2670
Argumemnon
World Maker

One wonders if he's playing the role of the idiot or if he's one in real life.

It's like he's trying real hard to be as stupid as possible on TV.
Old 17th February 2017, 05:40 AM   #2671
Argumemnon
World Maker

Someone give this man a real news job.
Old 17th February 2017, 05:44 AM   #2672
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
One wonders if he's playing the role of the idiot or if he's one in real life.

It's like he's trying real hard to be as stupid as possible on TV.
"The President is very much a figurehead - he wields no real power whatsoever. He is apparently chosen by the government, but the qualities he is required to display are not those of leadership but those of finely judged outrage. For this reason the President is always a controversial choice, always an infuriating but fascinating character. His job is not to wield power but to draw attention away from it." D. Adams
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 05:54 AM   #2673
Stacko
Philosopher

Trump staffers can't get security clearances due to vetting issues.

Quote:
Several White House staffers were dismissed Thursday morning after failing FBI background checks, according to sources familiar with the matter.

Some of the aides were "walked out of the building by security" on Wednesday after not passing the SF86, a Questionnaire for National Security Positions for security clearance.

Among those who won't be working at the White House was President Donald Trump’s director of scheduling, Caroline Wiles, the daughter of Susan Wiles, Trump’s Florida campaign director and former chief of staff to Governor Rick Scott. Wiles, who resigned Friday before the background check was completed, was appointed deputy assistant secretary before the inauguration in January. Two sources close to Wiles said she will get another job in Treasury.
I'm shocked that the people he has decided to surround himself with have character issues.
Old 17th February 2017, 05:57 AM   #2674
The Great Zaganza
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
"The President is very much a figurehead - he wields no real power whatsoever. He is apparently chosen by the government, but the qualities he is required to display are not those of leadership but those of finely judged outrage. For this reason the President is always a controversial choice, always an infuriating but fascinating character. His job is not to wield power but to draw attention away from it." D. Adams
Zaphop spend 2 of his ten years in office in prison for fraud, so there is hope...
Old 17th February 2017, 06:04 AM   #2675
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Trump staffers can't get security clearances due to vetting issues.

I'm shocked that the people he has decided to surround himself with have character issues.
A fine-tuned machine it is!
Old 17th February 2017, 06:35 AM   #2676
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
A Pew poll on Trump:

McHrozni
Hilited. There's no "Honest or Truthful" question. On "Trustworthy" he scores pretty poorly. Even among Republicans, who apparently are all bobble head dolls saying "yeah, yeah, he's our boy", it's one of his lowest scores.

I think you meant "truthful" as part of "keeps his promises", but with a separate gauge for "trustworthy" we shouldn't conflate the two.

Poll responses are people who self-identify as Republican or Leaning Republican. I think there's a distinct possibility that a lot of people who would've ticke of "Lean Republican" back in November may be putting down No Affiliation about now. It's not surprising in the current climate that people who identify with a party are still approving of its de facto leader.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 07:38 AM   #2677
Stacko
Philosopher

PEW/Gallup Net Approval after one month:

Trump -17
Obama +47
BushW +32
Clinton +31
Bush +50
Reagan +37
But people that still claim to like Trump still like him.
Old 17th February 2017, 07:40 AM   #2678
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Who's going to do the musical of Trump? Hope it's not Sir Andrew Lloyd Weber.

Richard O'Brien gets my vote.
Old 17th February 2017, 07:54 AM   #2679
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
"Mike Pence is an abhorrent bigot of middling intellect & I'd be extremely grateful to have him take over the Presidency as soon as possible" - (@rmayemsinger)

Having Pence take over the presidency should theoretically make the 'drain the swamp' and anti-pc Trump voters apoplectic. Pence is the definition of a career politician. The entire stick-it-to-em thrust would be considered a grand failure.

That said, I think it's wishful thinking at this stage.

Does this theory include the Republican propensity to overlook almost anything if it is done by one of their party members, as long as that member holds a position of power and influence? Whether they approve or not?
Old 17th February 2017, 07:56 AM   #2680
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Does this theory include the Republican propensity to overlook almost anything if it is done by one of their party members, as long as that member holds a position of power and influence? Whether they approve or not?
Can we stop with stereotyping the opposition?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics