IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th November 2012, 12:43 PM   #1
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The Dec 21st Armageddon Countdown thread....

I have got a feeling the nuttiness will increase as the day draws closer,so decided to be preemptive and start a thread about it.
I just realized I will probably be in San Francisco on the 21st, one of the hotbeds of New Age Nuttiness Should be interesting.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 02:16 PM   #2
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I have got a feeling the nuttiness will increase as the day draws closer,so decided to be preemptive and start a thread about it.
I just realized I will probably be in San Francisco on the 21st, one of the hotbeds of New Age Nuttiness Should be interesting.
I reckon there will be a woofrenzy leading up to the 21st, but what will they do when nothing happens?

My money is on "select a new doomsday of their choice".

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 03:03 PM   #3
Greedo
Too weird to live, too rare to die

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
I reckon there will be a woofrenzy leading up to the 21st, but what will they do when nothing happens?

Oh I'm sure there are plenty of new "prophets" waiting to make headlines...
Old 27th November 2012, 04:08 PM   #4
dafydd
Banned

Arm-a geddon out of here, pronto!!
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 04:13 PM   #5
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

This song is somewhat appropriate, at least for the chorus:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 27th November 2012, 04:15 PM   #6
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

Surely no one is even bothering with this particular doomsday? It's been debunked for months.

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny, Tim
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 04:17 PM   #7
Denver
Penultimate Amazing

I am having some difficulty finding anyone who still believes this one. Even those trumpeting it months and years ago, seemed to have settled into some kind of "spiritual" ending or beginning. Ala Harold Camping.
Old 27th November 2012, 05:44 PM   #8
s4zando
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Denver View Post
I am having some difficulty finding anyone who still believes this one. Even those trumpeting it months and years ago, seemed to have settled into some kind of "spiritual" ending or beginning. Ala Harold Camping.
Agreed. Kind of a let-down if you ask me. Had been looking forward to seeing woo take another hit on this, but, so far, mostly seems to have lost a lot of steam. Even the y2k insanity was crescendoing in the weeks leading up to the systematic collapse of all society. I can't think of a single 'toldjaso' I will get to smugly employ. Even an end-of-days party seems to lose some of its ironic appeal.
s4zando is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 06:40 PM   #9
Sonny2
Muse

People are getting jaded waiting for the end.
Sonny2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 06:59 PM   #10
lopeyschools
Critical Thinker

Still trying to find a way to make some money off this ethically. Don't know if it's possible.
lopeyschools is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 07:00 PM   #11
NobbyNobbs
Gazerbeam's Protege

If it doesn't happen, does anyone know how to find someone who believes it will who would give me all their assets on December 20th? I could really use it and I'm only half joking.

If it does happen, I won't panic. I'm a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
NobbyNobbs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 09:08 PM   #12
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

I know one lady who is going to ride this to the end. She has a shelter ready and everything......granted it is the same shelter she had ready for Y2k.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 12:42 AM   #13
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Err, wait, what? Considering that the woo has been anywhere between it being a prophecy of some god or another doing it, and it being some kind of Earth-destroying cosmic ray woowoo... exactly how's ducking into a cellar going to help with any of those?
Old 28th November 2012, 12:52 AM   #14
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NobbyNobbs View Post
If it doesn't happen, does anyone know how to find someone who believes it will who would give me all their assets on December 20th? I could really use it and I'm only half joking.

If it does happen, I won't panic. I'm a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
Blow that, I'm going to tuck in to a lot of Pan-Galactic Gargle Blasters.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 06:36 AM   #15
Magic 9-Ball
Hey, that's a good name
for a band!

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
Err, wait, what? Considering that the woo has been anywhere between it being a prophecy of some god or another doing it, and it being some kind of Earth-destroying cosmic ray woowoo... exactly how's ducking into a cellar going to help with any of those?
The same way as closing your eyes and putting the covers over your head makes the monster not be able to see you. Unless it's the one under your bed.
Old 28th November 2012, 08:34 AM   #16
JLord
Critical Thinker

I don't think we will see much hysteria at all about this date. Nothing compared to y2k. All the prominent gurus in this area have been hedging against anything happening on Dec 21 for years now. And the most gullible people are gullible because they listen to these gurus, not because they ignore them and do their own research. I don't know of a single prominent person who claims that any dramatic and detectible event will occur on Dec 21.
JLord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 08:37 AM   #17
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Magic 9-Ball View Post
The same way as closing your eyes and putting the covers over your head makes the monster not be able to see you. Unless it's the one under your bed.
Oooh, THAT way. Yeah, it makes sense now
Old 28th November 2012, 08:48 AM   #18
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JLord View Post
I don't think we will see much hysteria at all about this date. Nothing compared to y2k. All the prominent gurus in this area have been hedging against anything happening on Dec 21 for years now. And the most gullible people are gullible because they listen to these gurus, not because they ignore them and do their own research. I don't know of a single prominent person who claims that any dramatic and detectible event will occur on Dec 21.
Actually, I think the only reason they're backpedalling is because it's probably the most debunked thing ever.

With Y2K nobody could tell you for sure that there aren't computers left in some streetlights who'll stop working... even though they have no need for the date in what they're doing. On the contrary, every single marketing and PR shyster, scammer, con-man and snake-oil peddler was going into overdrive to keep the population scared witless that even their power-cables and headphones need to be replaced or civilization will fall back into the stone-age. Everyone was bombarded with labels even on PC speakers that said "Y2K compatible", which told them that there are some which aren't, and paid-for PR masquerading as news pieces telling them that all is doom and gloom if they don't reach for their checkbooks and make some scammers rich.

For all Joe Average could tell, people smarter than him agreed that Y2K is the end of civilization as we know it.

But for 2012, pretty much everyone sane just went "no, it ain't, there's no prophecy, and it's not even the end of the piktun fer fork's sake."

And they didn't even have any major religious group on their side, to offset that. You can reel people in by pushing the rapture buttons and whatnot, that their religion put in them. But for some heathen Mayan "prophecy"? I don't think anyone got raised to await the return of Quetzalcoatl any more.
Old 28th November 2012, 09:04 AM   #19
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Damn, I forgot about the 21 December. Just this afternoon I accepted a dinner invitation for the evening of the 22nd. Suppose I should call back and cancel.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 10:58 AM   #20
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by NWO Sentryman View Post
This song is somewhat appropriate, at least for the chorus:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Try this one too:

I AGREE
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 04:38 PM   #21
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

So, it it supposed to happen all at once? At what time, in what time zone?

Or, assuming it's at GMT, will it occur at 00:00:01 on Dec 21, or at 23:59:59?
Old 28th November 2012, 04:48 PM   #22
CplFerro
Graduate Poster

Dear abaddon,

They'll say that it's a "slow entry". The New Age has begun and we will see a new direction of change.

Cpl Ferro
CplFerro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 06:41 PM   #23
NobbyNobbs
Gazerbeam's Protege

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post

Not a very good assumption, considering the Mayan civilization predates the formation of GMT by. . . oh, a few years.
NobbyNobbs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 07:03 PM   #24
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
Well she was sure that Y2K would cause the simultaneous launch of all nuclear missiles. So she invested in a bunker to try and survive that. I think this time around she is expecting something similar or perhaps an invasion by the army of Nibiru.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 08:11 PM   #25
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
If you prefer your apocalyptic rock more on the classic side...
I AGREE

I AGREE

Last edited by Mike!; 28th November 2012 at 08:19 PM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 08:37 PM   #26
LaurelHS
Muse

I like "Waiting For The End Of The World" by Elvis Costello.
LaurelHS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 10:03 PM   #27
Drs_Res
NWO Acorn Hoarder

Found this and had to post it.

Old 30th November 2012, 03:34 PM   #28
mgidm86
Philosopher

The planet will slowly be destroyed one time zone at a time. Should look pretty cool from orbit.

Some guy at a store was talking about this and saying "We won't be here this time next year!". I asked him if I could take his car off his hands on the 20th!

"I don't have a car"

Crap.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 04:09 AM   #29
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

It will be at some weird base 20 number system time. Like 75 minutes after 14am.
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 08:06 AM   #30
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by schplurg View Post
The planet will slowly be destroyed one time zone at a time. Should look pretty cool from orbit.
Biggest PowerPoint presentation, ever.
Old 7th December 2012, 05:02 PM   #31
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
It's official!

Australia's Prime Minister (head of government) Julia Gillard announces the End of the World:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebtj3gDaE64

I AGREE
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2012, 06:30 PM   #32
s_pepys
Muse

the mormon 2012! brilliant.

http://www.december212012.com/articl...0-Prophecy.htm

lxxx
s_pepys is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2012, 06:53 PM   #33
Sonny2
Muse

Right. That was supposed to be Romney. He was trained to believe he was the White Horse from the time he was a child. Epic fail.
Sonny2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2012, 07:47 PM   #34
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

I've seen a number of claims that it's an "Awakening" of some kind. It looks like a lot of folks are already hedging their bets with that canard. I'm looking forward to the follow-up stories in the coming months about the idiots who took out massive loans expecting society to collapse on Dec 21.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2012, 11:25 PM   #35
Miss_Kitt
Illuminator

I am still hosting an End of the World Party, though. It will feature a potential-to-view screening of "2012" (I expect at least half the people will be doing the jigsaw puzzle in the other room, except I'll herd everyone into the family room for Escape From LA segment, which is far too funny to miss); a "What I'd Like For My Last Meal" potluck; and a group of good friends.

If luck favors me, there will be some good bad Syfy movies on, too, but whatever.

I just like an excuse for the potluck. I think everybody has food that they love, but don't usually eat because it is: A) Too fattening; B) Too much work to make; C) Too expensive; or D) Too good to waste, and too rich to finish before it goes bad. Sometimes a combination of the foregoing. So I expect there to be cheesecake, fabulously evil things involving alfredo sauce, chocolate truffles and possibly exotic alcohol. Plus my justly famous marinated flank steak, which is really good and has actual nutrient value!

Anybody up Seattle way, PM me. -- MK
Miss_Kitt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2012, 01:29 AM   #36
Reivax
Critical Thinker

I've been wondering, is it plausible there will be 'mass suicides' on 21st, or 'statistically significant suicides'?
Were picked in advance
By some careful hand
With an absolute concept of beauty
Reivax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2012, 03:00 AM   #37
Dcdrac
Philosopher

I confidentally predict I shall be in the West end of London shopping on the 22nd December and then the pub.
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2012, 05:55 AM   #38
GT/CS
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Reivax View Post
I've been wondering, is it plausible there will be 'mass suicides' on 21st, or 'statistically significant suicides'?
That will be interesting to watch because December is normally the month with the fewest suicides, which seems a little odd because December and January have the highest overall death rates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Suicide per month.jpg (14.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: gif Death Rate Per Month.gif (4.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 10th December 2012, 05:59 AM   #39
LarianLeQuella
Elf Wino

My daughter is going to wear a red shirt on that Friday, as well as the rest of her friends.
LarianLeQuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2012, 06:13 AM   #40
GT/CS
Illuminator

Why red?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal