IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st December 2012, 12:55 AM   #1
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

Welcome to the end of the world, what is your status?

Thread tittle says it all, really.

It's the end of the world, again, and all that has happened is that Louisville got its first snow of the season. If anything, yesterday's weather was more apocalyptic with the heavy rain and gale force winds.

I'll report at the end of the day, but I expect that it's going to be an overall peaceful and uneventful one.
Old 21st December 2012, 01:00 AM   #2
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
7pm here and nothing freaky has happened.

I did see Santa driving the town bus past our house... Does that count?
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 01:01 AM   #3
StankApe
Banned

2am, can't even feel the heat from the meteor yet
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 01:05 AM   #4
Explorer
Graduate Poster

Devon is under water. Hasn't stopped raining for months. Does that count?
Explorer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 01:17 AM   #5
Professor Yaffle
Butterbeans and Breadcrumbs

I feel fine.
Professor Yaffle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 01:33 AM   #6
Cheisu7
New Blood

3:32am EST.

Playing Fallout: New Vegas. Fitting, really.
Cheisu7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 01:58 AM   #7
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
And no, the world hasn't gone psychotic with some sort of freaky "mass enlightenment".
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 02:26 AM   #8
Dcdrac
Philosopher

Just under two hours to go no clouds froming yet there was some rain erlier but that has passed, confident of being in the pub at 5.00PM

This is London calling, London calling the BBC Home Service....
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 02:41 AM   #9
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

I'm feeling peckish.
Do I have time to whip up an omelette before the event?
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 02:56 AM   #10
Fishstick
Graduate Poster

It's almost 11AM on December 21st here in Belgium. Everything's fine, but the weather's been very dark recently. Į d̨on̕'t ̵bel͠i͡e̸ve͢ a͝ny̧t͝h͠in͠g ̢s͝t͞r͢an̴gè ͘is ḩap̕pe͢ning,҉, a̲͕͚̬̲ͅn͎͙̬̜̻͎͇͞d̤͖̼̘͍ ̜͇̳̮͉t̴h̘ͅe̝ ̴͔͙̪̘f̡̲̻͚̟e̺̘è̙͈͓̣̩l͍̠̺̠̺͇̝i̥̲̲n̜̖̭̺̼͖̩g̤̟̟ͅ ̖̤̺̤͠i̛̺s͖͍͈̠̘̘̬͡ ̶̥̠͖̼͍̳b̵̭l̵̼͚̩i̶̭̘̗͙͙̤s̙͇͎̭̰s̫̪ͅ. T͝͏̝̥̪o̢̞̤ ̢͈̪̥̠͓̜̲̭͓̀i̡̡̜̟̬̩n̷̡͇͕͚̹ͅv̢͙̪͚͇̲̦͜o̴̜̥̠͈̫͚̠̬͘k͖͎͎ ̙͉͇͟͞e̥͙͙̫̗̼ ̶͚̩t̞̬̥̣͢h̖̩͓̤͞e̢͎͔̳ ̠̟̣̼̰̟̬̜͘h̶̻͇̀i̡̤̙̦̠̹̫̬͜v̫͎͙̞̱͔̬͔́e̛̳̦̬̫͉̖̮̫͟-͡҉̼̗̺͎̫m̛̩̞̘̗̗͎͢i̧̫͕̕n̢͎̥͉̥̙̦̳̗̠d͉̟͜͜͟ ̡̩́͢r̸̭̺̻̳̫e̙̥͓̺̹p̖͈͝r̷̪̻͖̗̠̖̥̭̹̕͝ȩ͏͓̟̻̪s̷̲̟̟̞͎͞e̙ ͕͖̳͖̮̰ͅn̶̖̟̘̳t̢͖̖̱̰͔̹̕͡į̪̣̯͢͢ǹ͚͔̙̻̳̱̱̼̻͢g̷҉̩ ̦̟͜c̢͚͖̹h̨̗̰̠̗̺̝̮ḁo̧͚̫͇͉͈̞͟ͅṣ̩̝̠̮̙̙̣.̴̨̝̠̤̺̗̼̟ ̳ ̨̡̠͓̟̻̟̻͜I̴̭͚͕̝͚̠͟n̞̯͡v̸̟͚̯̹̪̰̪͢͜ͅo̫͖k̻͖͕͓̻͎̦̗̻̕͡i ̳̤̞͔͍͉͘͜n̶͉g̢̮̪̳̝̰͟͞ ̸̵̧̮̲̟̙t̷̵̡̠̰h̵̘͈̰̩͇̘e͏̴̲̣͚̞ ̧̺͕f̢̥̗̭̺̳̰e̟͉̰̫̫͔̻̬ę̛͍̻̘́l͏͙̩̤̯̀i̷̡̠̦̼̺̮n̨̼͇͜ǵ̷̷̻ ͎̪ ̶̧̬͓o͎͈̙f̛͔̪̜̞̦͔͠ ̸̮̪̦͍̘̬̲̠͜ͅc̮̥̞̤̹̱͈̀͢h̼̝̀͞a̴̴̠͓̺͔͔̫̬̕o̯͡s̠͚̘̞̜̰̬̫̘ ͘.̢̻͔̙̖̬̠̰́W̧͓̹̪͉̫į̴̩̺̗̫̟̤̟̖͡t̡͕̝̻̦͓͟h̺͎͠ ̜̲̫͖͘ͅͅo͏͘҉̟͙̦u͏̖̝̖͕t̺̩͔͎̹͚̰̩͠ ̛̟̜̦̖̞͘͟o̴̧͕̫̩͇̳̘͘r͞͏͓̗̤̼̹̟̬̩̤d̜̖̙́̕e̥̭̥̹ͅr̶̟͜.̧̰̜ ̭́̌ͅ҉̷̠͔̟̮̥͍̜͞ͅ

H̡̧̤͙̳̼͈̭͍̳̔̌̂ͧͣ͜e̛͕̯̫̭̘̊̿ͭ̏ͪ̆́̚͢ ̸̸̼̪̯̩̯͔ͬw͔̖ͭ̅ͮͤ̉̌͒ͫ̿̕ĥ̥͓̿̇̕͟o̊̐ͫͯ͒͛̑̐̚͝҉̜̘̹͓͉ ͅ ̻̟̏͑̑̓̌͑̈́͂͛͝Ẅ́ͯ͂ͣͯ́ͬ͏͡҉̰̹̥a̼̱̟͉̔͛͗ͪͯͪ̏̐̾͘͝i͙͓̫͐̑͒ ͫ̚͟ţ͓͗̔͊̔̈́s̢̢͇̼̦̮̺͂̒̍ͭ̐ͯ̄͋ ̡̖͉̘̫̜͖̯̪̏ͪB͇͉͙̦̤͇ͭ̅͡ȅ̴̡̮͉̦̻̞̔̽͌͒̀̚h̓̽̽̓ͫ҉͙͚̭̩͓͕͚̠ ̕͢ͅǐ̱̹̪̦̞͉̩̺̎͑n̜͈̰̥̩͇̥͌̎͐̔̚̚d̷̰̻̜̝̪̜̺̯ͧ̉ͦͭͮ̃ͨ̚ ͅ ͫ̊ͫ͌͏̧̦̪͇͟T̝̥̣̳ͦ̆̏̄̆͋͒̚͠h͒̈́̽ͯ͏͕͉̕e̝̹̥͖̯̭̼̓̓ ̞̹͆̑ͨ͒W̟̳̭̜͖̤̓ͬả̧͙͓̭̜̙͕̯ͮ͋̈́ͨͤl̝̞͓̓̔ͮ̑ͬ̓̿̌̕͝l̦̼͕̮̾ ͌͊̊ͧͧ̚͜.̵̶̖͈̜̥̻̰̞̐̂́͢

Z̸̶̨̹͕̰̤͔̣̪̗̘͉̝͈̘̮̫̑̈̄ͨ̾ͅͅA̅̂̆̈ͮ͑̓͊͗ͧͪ̃҉̺͎̰̲̳̜̹͚̹̣ L̷̛ͣ̌̓̌̒̐ͯ̇ͨ͊͘͏̛̯̰͍̪͔̟̫Ǧ̛ͧ̐͌̔̑͌ͭ̇͊̌̔͒̌́ͬ̚͢͞͠͏̹͚̟̲̖ ̯̞̝̠̤͍̟̭̟͙O̷̸̫̺͎̭̺̭͍͇ͩ̿͆̈́!̶̘̖̖̭̜̩̭͖͚͕͎͓̱͙̙̽͐͋̿͒̋ͪ ͋̔̿ͯ̇̅ͮ͗͌̌̕
Fishstick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 03:00 AM   #11
Bell
Penultimate Amazing

I'm looking out of my window and the whole world has gone! Could also just be fog, though...
Bell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 03:00 AM   #12
Dubious Dick
Muse

PRESS RELEASE ISSUED BY THE COALITION OF THE NEW AGE
DATELINE: 21 December 2012

To all those who mock and snigger at our previous predictions of the impending end of the World, we wish to announce that due to errors caused by previously undetected shifts in the time/space continuum, combined with a re-calculation of the quantum energy field, along with the discovery of a piece of fossilized pretzel from the Mayan era bearing new information we are delighted to announce that we have re-calculated.

The end of the World will still happen. Have no fear. As of today, we can confidently predict that the correct date will be 21/12/2013.

We are sure that no one can have failed to notice that next year ends in the digits 13, which have long been known to foretell doom and disaster.

Doubt us at your peril. For we are the enlightened ones. May your crystal balls be with you.
Old 21st December 2012, 03:05 AM   #13
Stray Cat
Philosopher

If I've done my maths correctly, the world will indeed end for approximately 155,000 people today.
Source
Old 21st December 2012, 03:08 AM   #14
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

All fine here in Scotland, so arranged to meet the old man for lunch.
Old 21st December 2012, 03:14 AM   #15
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
Devon is under water. Hasn't stopped raining for months. Does that count?
Ditto Wiltshire. I can't remember the last time I saw a dry pavement.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 04:15 AM   #16
Reeco
Muse

Still trying to get this ABL code to work...
Reeco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 04:17 AM   #17
Dcdrac
Philosopher

London intact as of 11.17 AM
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 04:20 AM   #18
anglolawyer
Banned

Surrey (England) here. Am I a moron or what? I scheduled some work in my bathroom today (the guy is upstairs right now) completely forgetting I won't be able to benefit from it. Why is everyone passing by outside so calm?
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 04:30 AM   #19
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Mrs. Don and I have our annual pre-Christmas cocktail party this evening. I hope that the world ends after the party is over because I would have hated to spend my last few hours on Earth cleaning the house. In particular it would be galling to spend all afternoon making sweetcorn fritters, blinis, sausages wrapped in bacon and tiny, tiny meat pies and not have an opportunity to eat them.

I am in South East Wales and I am very worried. There is an unfamiliar bright light in the sky, I assume this is the fireball which will consume us all.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 04:42 AM   #20
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

The old world ended here (Czech Republic, central Europe) just as expected, right on the solstice.
Not that anything changed much. The new world looks just the same.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 04:54 AM   #21
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

Sun's out in Reading, England and we're on standby to welcome our new alien overlords.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 04:58 AM   #22
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

7:59 PM & nothing to report other than the washing machine just finished it's run.

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 05:00 AM   #23
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Are we soup yet?
Old 21st December 2012, 05:12 AM   #24
Ian
Thinker

I'm not here.
Ian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 05:26 AM   #25
appalling
Critical Thinker

All this has taught me is that in the future someone is going to dig up the song, "In the Year 2525" listen to it, and get nervous for no reason.
appalling is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 05:27 AM   #26
appalling
Critical Thinker

And by the future I mean 9594.
appalling is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 05:30 AM   #27
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

It's 7:30 a.m. in the eastern US and all is well.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 05:32 AM   #28
Dcdrac
Philosopher

This is the BBC Home service latest Cricket test match scores

End of the World 0

World 100 not out
Old 21st December 2012, 05:59 AM   #29
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Nothing extraordinary going on in Finland, but just in case something eventually does happen, I charged most of my Christmas shopping on my credit card. If the World ends today, I've gotten stuff for free.
Old 21st December 2012, 06:05 AM   #30
Bindamel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle View Post
I feel fine.
That song's been in my head for the last two days. I'm personally looking forward to the end.
Bindamel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 06:08 AM   #31
MortFurd
Master Poster

In Germany here. It's rainy, cold, and foggy. We've still got some snow on the ground.

If this is the end of the world, then it doesn't differ materially from any other random Friday in December.

Thinking about it, it was kind of them to schedule the end of the world for a Friday. All the partiers will have the weekend to recover before work on Monday.

Last edited by MortFurd; 21st December 2012 at 06:10 AM.
MortFurd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 06:08 AM   #32
jond
Illuminator

8:08 in the morning. New CD is on the cover of Prog Rock Magazine, and all is great!
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 06:17 AM   #33
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Nothing extraordinary going on in Finland, but just in case something eventually does happen, I charged most of my Christmas shopping on my credit card. If the World ends today, I've gotten stuff for free.
Check your siggie for more ideas on how to get free stuff.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 06:23 AM   #34
mikeyx
Banned

Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Thread tittle says it all, really.

It's the end of the world, again, and all that has happened is that Louisville got its first snow of the season. If anything, yesterday's weather was more apocalyptic with the heavy rain and gale force winds.

I'll report at the end of the day, but I expect that it's going to be an overall peaceful and uneventful one.
sadly, the punk arsed alien overlord of Nibiru owes me mony, he will be avoiding so the end of the world is cancelled. Your'e welcome, evil skeptics.
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 06:26 AM   #35
Mister Earl
Illuminator

At work. And I'm pondering, when I return home tonight, if I should put out a snack plate of ring bologna and cheese for Zalgo. When he comes.
Mister Earl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 06:27 AM   #36
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

My power's been out for twelve hours; had to go to work to warm up.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 06:29 AM   #37
Turgor
Critical Thinker

2:30 PM GMT+1

Nothing has happened so far. But the office Christmas party starts at 3 and they're always apocalyptic
Turgor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 06:37 AM   #38
Cheesy One
Scholar

It cold and rainy here in Canada but otherwise nothing extraordinary. I feel fine and so do the people around me.
Cheesy One is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 07:11 AM   #39
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Sunrise here is at 7:29. The sky is getting lighter, but nothing else is happening.

Rain would be nice -- we have been in a drought for some time.

If the world ends, I won't be here after today. Therefore, conditional farewell* from

xterra

*Of course if the world doesn't end, I'll be able to increase my post count.

Last edited by xterra; 21st December 2012 at 07:13 AM. Reason: formatting
xterra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 07:39 AM   #40
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I just passed a sex shop with a Dominatrix wearing a Santa Hat manikin and a gimp in an elf hat in the window. Everything here in Germany is normal.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal