IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th December 2012, 02:35 PM   #41
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
Why red?
I'm wondering the same thing.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2012, 04:02 PM   #42
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by LarianLeQuella View Post
My daughter is going to wear a red shirt on that Friday, as well as the rest of her friends.
Is this a reference to the famous red shirts of Star Trek being doomed, unless they're named Scotty?
Old 10th December 2012, 06:02 PM   #43
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Wish I could get a dime for every lame butt "Wild and Crazy Morning Zoo"D.J. who will "The End Of The World As We Know It" on the morning of Dec 21st. You know that is coming......
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2012, 06:03 PM   #44
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Wish I could get a dime for every lame butt "Wild and Crazy Morning Zoo"D.J. who will play "The End Of The World As We Know It" on the morning of Dec 21st. You know that is coming...
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2012, 10:15 PM   #45
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by LarianLeQuella View Post
My daughter is going to wear a red shirt on that Friday, as well as the rest of her friends.
Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
Why red?
My first thought was a Support our Troops effort:

http://redshirtfridays.org/

And it kind of fits, but that's every Friday. We wear a red shirt at work on Fridays on a pretty regular basis.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2012, 12:32 AM   #46
341gerbig
New Blood

My skeptics group is having a pub night that night =)
341gerbig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2012, 06:17 AM   #47
LarianLeQuella
Elf Wino

Cool

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Is this a reference to the famous red shirts of Star Trek being doomed, unless they're named Scotty?
Yes.
LarianLeQuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2012, 02:37 PM   #48
Orphia Nay
Tagger

9 days to go!
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2012, 03:23 PM   #49
Baffled
Critical Thinker

Quickly! Spread the word! Jon Hodgman can save one or two of us!

John Hodgman's Apocalypse Survival 101

Urine and mayonnaise, my friends. Urine and mayonnaise.
Baffled is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2012, 06:30 PM   #50
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

Attention All Concerned Citizens

The actual date of the apocalypse has been moved up to December 12th. Many apologies. Please enjoy the last few hours of living.

Official Press Release
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2012, 06:39 PM   #51
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Does anyone have any good resources listing failed end of the world prophecies? I may be doing a pub talk on the 22nd.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2012, 07:24 PM   #52
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by ServiceSoon View Post
The actual date of the apocalypse has been moved up to December 12th. Many apologies. Please enjoy the last few hours of living.

Official Press Release

4.3 million miles? I had to walk farther than that at the mall the other day.
Old 11th December 2012, 07:44 PM   #53
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Does anyone have any good resources listing failed end of the world prophecies? I may be doing a pub talk on the 22nd.
I don't know how much of this one is still functional, but it was a huge and well researched site back in 1998/9 when Nosti and Y2K were at their hype, I mean height.

http://alma-geddon.com/

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2012, 09:17 PM   #54
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
I don't know how much of this one is still functional, but it was a huge and well researched site back in 1998/9 when Nosti and Y2K were at their hype, I mean height.

Norm
Thanks.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2012, 03:21 AM   #55
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

^
All the best with the pub talk.

Originally Posted by Baffled View Post
Quickly! Spread the word! Jon Hodgman can save one or two of us!

John Hodgman's Apocalypse Survival 101

Urine and mayonnaise, my friends. Urine and mayonnaise.
John Hodgman was new to me.
Thanks for the link!

Out of curiosity, have any Rapturetm fans claimed a piece of the 21 12 2012 turf?

ETA:
Ask and ye shall be given
http://pillarofenoch.blogspot.com.es...g-rapture.html

Last edited by pakeha; 12th December 2012 at 03:24 AM. Reason: ETA
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2012, 01:26 PM   #56
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Miss_Kitt View Post
I am still hosting an End of the World Party, though. It will feature a potential-to-view screening of "2012" (I expect at least half the people will be doing the jigsaw puzzle in the other room, except I'll herd everyone into the family room for Escape From LA segment, which is far too funny to miss); a "What I'd Like For My Last Meal" potluck; and a group of good friends.

If luck favors me, there will be some good bad Syfy movies on, too, but whatever.

I just like an excuse for the potluck. I think everybody has food that they love, but don't usually eat because it is: A) Too fattening; B) Too much work to make; C) Too expensive; or D) Too good to waste, and too rich to finish before it goes bad. Sometimes a combination of the foregoing. So I expect there to be cheesecake, fabulously evil things involving alfredo sauce, chocolate truffles and possibly exotic alcohol. Plus my justly famous marinated flank steak, which is really good and has actual nutrient value!

Anybody up Seattle way, PM me. -- MK
I'm hosting an "It's Totally Not the End of the World" party myself, but the last meal pot luck is brilliant. I think I'll do that too.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2012, 01:35 PM   #57
LarianLeQuella
Elf Wino

Cool

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post

Norm
To add to Norm's contribution, this site has a list as well: http://www.religioustolerance.org/end_wrld.htm
LarianLeQuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2012, 02:34 PM   #58
Weak Kitten
Graduate Poster

I think my group of friends may be having a "It's not the end of the World" party that night. We'll probably watch bad Kung Fu movies and trade stories about silly prophecies until we're all too tired to keep going.
A quick reminder to all participants that although incomprehensibility is not against the Membership Agreement, incivility is. Please try and remember this, and keep your exchanges polite and respectful. -arthwollipot
Weak Kitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2012, 10:46 PM   #59
CosmicDP
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos View Post
Surely no one is even bothering with this particular doomsday? It's been debunked for months.

~~ Paul
Agreed. Bottsrgeddon scholars have meticulously studied December 21 and in light of their careful research have concluded that the best evidence points to that date as being of no significance.
CosmicDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2012, 11:54 PM   #60
yomero
Graduate Poster

It seems almost everybody is posting end of the world videos. Here's another one. (Yes, I'm old.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgcy-V6YIuI
Old 13th December 2012, 01:02 AM   #61
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Denver View Post
I am having some difficulty finding anyone who still believes this one. Even those trumpeting it months and years ago, seemed to have settled into some kind of "spiritual" ending or beginning. Ala Harold Camping.
Over the years, Noory on Coast-to-Coast has done a lot of 2012 crap. I haven't listened to him in a long time. How's he dealing with it?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2012, 01:44 AM   #62
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Over the years, Noory on Coast-to-Coast has done a lot of 2012 crap. I haven't listened to him in a long time. How's he dealing with it?
The pulled him from the station that aired C2C in D-FW since the early 90s after a format change. I was hoping someone else would pick up the show here, but no one has. George is having a special woo-a-polluza show that night and I'd love to listen.

Speaking of woo, Answers in Genesis has weighed in with it's usual insipidness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AIGMayans.jpg (88.9 KB, 262 views)
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2012, 04:11 AM   #63
Dcdrac
Philosopher

I confidently predict on the 23rd December I will be servicing my car making sure its ok for the trip to my Sisters house on the 24th December
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2012, 05:44 AM   #64
BushRanger
Thinker

Originally Posted by CosmicDP View Post
Agreed. Bottsrgeddon scholars have meticulously studied December 21 and in light of their careful research have concluded that the best evidence points to that date as being of no significance.
Indeed, the math just never added up for 12/21/12
BushRanger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2012, 03:15 PM   #65
JLord
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
They are totally discounting any possibility that Dec 21 will bring the end of the world. And they have been for some time. This is why I think there will be no major fear or panic from anyone like there was for y2k. With y2k you had people on coast to coast right up to the last minute talking about disasters. But for years now the coast to coast crowd has almost universally discounted any possibility of a disaster of any kind. It will be a change of consciousness, an awakening, etc. So basically something so subtle that they can say it is in the process of still happening for years to come.
JLord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2012, 05:52 PM   #66
Orphia Nay
Tagger

NASA's FAQs on 2012:

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html
Old 15th December 2012, 12:36 AM   #67
CosmicDP
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post

Nice find, that's a good link. They do a fine job of clearly and concisely showing the folly of all of the nonsense claims that have been made in association with the year 2012.
CosmicDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2012, 12:56 AM   #68
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Originally Posted by CosmicDP View Post
Nice find, that's a good link. They do a fine job of clearly and concisely showing the folly of all of the nonsense claims that have been made in association with the year 2012.
Thanks, CDP! I agree. I'm glad someone found it useful.
Old 15th December 2012, 11:46 AM   #69
RelentlessPunishment
Thinker

Sedona Man Plans on Jumping Off a Tall Rock on December 21, Believes He'll Land in a Portal

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/val...jumping_of.php

His website's worth reading, but unfortunately it's reached it's bandwidth limit at the moment:

http://www.1111invitation2012.info/1111Invitation2012/
RelentlessPunishment is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2012, 01:30 PM   #70
Nowhere Man
Critical Thinker

I think he's trying to wimp out now. Here is a lengthy thread on Peter Gersten.

Fred

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
-- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684
Nowhere Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2012, 01:50 PM   #71
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I wish to find someone who really believes this. Then, I want to put a decal of a planet on their bedroom window in the middle of the night. I bet it will be very amusing when they wake up.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 01:03 AM   #72
CosmicDP
Critical Thinker

Old 16th December 2012, 11:10 AM   #73
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

It's an ill wind...
http://www.bbc.com/travel/blog/20121...boosts-tourism
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 12:41 PM   #74
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
I've been to Tikal. It was a great trip.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 12:54 PM   #75
Rincewind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dcdrac View Post
I confidently predict on the 23rd December I will be servicing my car making sure its ok for the trip to my Sisters house on the 24th December
Similarly, I'll be visiting my brother on 25th...

I'm gonna be very annoyed if I've filled up the petrol tank unnecessarily...

Or not, as the case may be.
Rincewind is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 03:12 PM   #76
Belz...
Fiend God

Is it too late to establish a PayPal account so people who think the world ends Friday can send me their money ?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 03:14 PM   #77
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by LordofTruth View Post
Sedona Man Plans on Jumping Off a Tall Rock on December 21, Believes He'll Land in a Portal
I hope he waits just for the Apocalypse to start, just to be sure.

Otherwise, it's just another way to prune the gene pool.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 04:51 AM   #78
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Looks like the goalposts are starting to shift...

Quote:
"No one knows what it will look like on the other side," said Michael DiMartino, 46, a long-haired American who is organizing one of the biggest December 21 celebrations at the Maya temple site of Chichen Itza on the Yucatan peninsula.

It is not the world but "the way we perceive it" that will end, said DiMartino, who pledged his event at ground zero for 2012 acolytes will be a "distilling down of various perspectives into a unified intention for positive transformation, evolution and co-creation of a new way of being."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...ageddon-fears/

...now where are the Harmonica Virgins in all this...?

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 01:58 PM   #79
SezMe
post-pre-born

I think this is funny:

SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 03:21 PM   #80
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

I have genetically inbred witch power, so strong even Karma doesn't screw with me.

Sorry, folks. I ain't detecting ****.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal