IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th December 2012, 11:11 PM   #81
fromdownunder
Philosopher

And in France as well. Goodbye all, it's been a fun life.

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 11:21 PM   #82
booNyzarC
Scholar

There's something out there, and it aint no Mayan.

We're all gonna die.
Old 19th December 2012, 11:38 PM   #83
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

It has now been 37 minutes since it officially became December 21 at the international date line. It should be another 91/2 hours before the zombies start knocking on my door.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 12:49 AM   #84
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Well, the big day is 15 hours away!
It's been fun, all.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 02:30 AM   #85
DrDave
Illuminator

We need all the new zealanders and Aussies to stop posting after midnight. Then Asians and europeans, etc.

Freak the Americans out
DrDave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 02:45 AM   #86
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

There seem to be a few people in China taking it seriously:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-20794276

Quote:
Almost 1,000 doomsday cult members arrested in China

Police in China have carried out further arrests of members of a doomsday cult for spreading rumours about the imminent end of the world, state media say.

Almost 1,000 members of Christian group Almighty God have now been detained.

State media terms Almighty God an "evil cult" - the same description it applies to the banned Falun Gong group.

The sect predicts Friday will usher in three days of darkness and has urged its members to overthrow communism.
Old 20th December 2012, 03:10 AM   #87
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by DrDave View Post
We need all the new zealanders and Aussies to stop posting after midnight. Then Asians and europeans, etc.

Freak the Americans out

The wave of mutilation has just hit east of here and I
Orphia Nay is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 03:51 AM   #88
mike81
Muse

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Does anyone have any good resources listing failed end of the world prophecies? I may be doing a pub talk on the 22nd.
Here you go:

http://www.bible.ca/pre-date-setters.htm
mike81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 06:36 AM   #89
Ian
Thinker

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post

Thanks for the update in your neck of the woods, Orphia Nay (if you're still there). It's 2:35 a.m. in Fiji. Anyone in this forum in Fiji?
Ian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 06:37 AM   #90
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Still here. All good so far.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 06:49 AM   #91
Gr8wight
red-shirted crewman

Does anyone have any good resources listing failed end of the world prophecies? I may be doing a pub talk on the 22nd.
Try A Brief History of the Apocalypse : http://www.abhota.info/

"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight and understanding."--Marshall McLuhan
Gr8wight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 06:53 AM   #92
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Still here. All good so far.
No trumpets yet...

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 07:09 AM   #93
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
Well, the big day is 15 hours away!
It's been fun, all.
I wouldn't count on the apocalypse being all that punctual. Some of them are as much as 2000 years late.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 07:16 AM   #94
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
I wouldn't count on the apocalypse being all that punctual. Some of them are as much as 2000 years late.
Woops, looks like this one came on time but what's with this wave of mutilation, no one said anything about a wave of mutilation, if there's anything worse than a tardy apocalypse it's an adlibbing apocalypse.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 08:19 AM   #95
justintime
Banned

Calm down guys. This is just a prank to get all the skeptics to unite behind a common disbelief. Skeptics are such a disparate group of individuals. Any conspiracy theory takes volumes of critical analysis and credible evidence comparisons which typically ends up inconclusive. The dead line passes and the sun rises as scheduled. And skeptics celebrate they survived another crisis.

Only the religious people are offended by the skeptics celebration over false Prophets of doom. They prayed for the end of times and are actually disappointed that it did not happen.

Now that I have shown you the flip sides of the same coin. You might look forward to the seasons celebration with family and friends. There will be many other days to exchange delusions with the other side. End 2012 on a more lucid note.
justintime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 08:27 AM   #96
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by justintime View Post
And skeptics celebrate they survived another crisis.
Who you talkin' to Willis?
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 09:00 AM   #97
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

It's now midnight here and I'm off to bed.

If the zombies get me in my sleep, it's been nice knowing you all.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 09:52 AM   #98
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
I reckon there will be a woofrenzy leading up to the 21st, but what will they do when nothing happens?

My money is on "select a new doomsday of their choice".
I choose the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 09:58 AM   #99
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
It has now been 37 minutes since it officially became December 21 at the international date line. It should be another 91/2 hours before the zombies start knocking on my door.
Zombies ? I'm hoping for meteors or aliens, myself. If it doesn't come from the sky it's not worth waking up at 6 in the morning for.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 12:37 PM   #100
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Zombies ? I'm hoping for meteors or aliens, myself. If it doesn't come from the sky it's not worth waking up at 6 in the morning for.
May the word yellow wander through your mind in search of something to connect with.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 12:39 PM   #101
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by DrDave View Post

Freak the Americans out
The Americans have been largely ignoring the rest of the world for a long time now. I'm afraid the effort would be wasted.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 12:49 PM   #102
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
The Americans have been largely ignoring the rest of the world for a long time now. I'm afraid the effort would be wasted.
Rest of the world?

You mean like Hawaii and Alaska?

Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 01:40 PM   #103
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Rest of the world?

You mean like Hawaii and Alaska?

I forgot Mexico. Poor Mexico: So far from God, so near the United States.
Old 20th December 2012, 04:36 PM   #104
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Thanks for all the links, people. I've got enough to be going along with now.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 04:41 PM   #105
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
(Chinese) State media terms Almighty God an "evil cult" - the same description it applies to the banned Falun Gong group.

The sect predicts Friday will usher in three days of darkness and has urged its members to overthrow communism.
Yes.
Evil.
We're 40 minutes into the End of the World and I don't notice anything in particular.
Let me re-fill my wine glass and see if that helps.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 04:43 PM   #106
Nowhere Man
Critical Thinker

How nice of the wave of mutilation to hit the submit button for you. Just like Candlejack does when you mention his

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
-- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684
Nowhere Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 04:55 PM   #107
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
About five hours to go till the wave of mutilation hits the East Coast of the US. Guess I'll be half the man I used to be, soon...
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 04:56 PM   #108
HotRodDeluxe
Muse

Well, it's almost 10:00am here in Queensland Australia. All quiet on the Apocalypse front. No zombies, asteroids, earthquakes, fires, pestilence nor famine. Just another stinking hot day in the sub tropics.
HotRodDeluxe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 05:10 PM   #109
Apathia
Philosopher

It's begun already in Japan!
Here's how it came down!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09IYL...d&noredirect=1

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 05:17 PM   #110
ehcks
Illuminator

Central America is under -6 GMT, so the real fun should start in about 6 hours.

Unfortunately for me, I work 5-10pm tomorrow so I get to miss out on the It's NOT the End of the World parties.
Old 20th December 2012, 05:19 PM   #111
svenax
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
It's begun already in Japan!
Here's how it came down!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09IYL...d&noredirect=1
Ahaha, that's awesome!
svenax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 05:19 PM   #112
Kid Eager
Philosopher

I just spilled some coffee on my t-shirt: could that have been what the Mayans predicted?

Otherwise, business as usual here on east coast Australia. Except for the bit that Orphia used to live on. Giant Kraken, eh? Who'd have predicted *that*.....
Old 20th December 2012, 10:42 PM   #113
Susheel
Illuminator

Its well into the first half of 21.12.2012...and so far its been dull as drying paint. I was really looking forward to hacking through a horde of Zombies with my Khukri and camping axe. Sigh...
Old 20th December 2012, 10:55 PM   #114
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Well, it's 12:54 am on 12-21-12 and nothing has happ

(Oh, come on. You saw that coming a mile away.)
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 11:13 PM   #115
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

It's 0710 here in Germany and I have a killer hangover from hitting the Gluhwien at the Christmas market last night. (hot mulled wine, in this case spiked with schnapps, real schnapps). If the world is going to end could it please get on with it.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 11:16 PM   #116
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

12:16 am Mayan time.

Nothing much fun happening yet.
Old 20th December 2012, 11:38 PM   #117
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

It’s 12:30. I am going to walk to the store now. We just had our first blizzard and it is really cold out. I will be bundled up and trudging through the snow rather stiffly. If you happen to see me, I am NOT a zombie. I repeat: I am NOT a zombie. I’m just a guy walking to the store. That’s where they have the fresh brains…
Old 20th December 2012, 11:57 PM   #118
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Of course we laugh at this nonsense, but according to the BBC, not everyone has done.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20712815

ETA
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-20803579

Last edited by pakeha; 21st December 2012 at 12:50 AM. Reason: ETA
Old 21st December 2012, 12:22 AM   #119
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Talking

You did it wrong. It should have been :

The wave of mutilation has just hit east of here and I :]?%&... CARRIER LOST.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 12:25 AM   #120
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Originally Posted by HotRodDeluxe View Post
Well, it's almost 10:00am here in Queensland Australia. All quiet on the Apocalypse front. No zombies, asteroids, earthquakes, fires, pestilence nor famine.
OK

Quote:
Just another stinking hot day in the sub tropics.

How do you make the difference with the former
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal