IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st December 2012, 12:28 AM   #121
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
It's 0710 here in Germany and I have a killer hangover from hitting the Gluhwien at the Christmas market last night. (hot mulled wine, in this case spiked with schnapps, real schnapps). If the world is going to end could it please get on with it.
Which one ? I was at the one of frankfurt am main, that was fun. Although I only drank kinder punch :P. The weather outside looks cold, when is this apocalypse thingy comming ? I don't wanna go out for shopping...
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 12:29 AM   #122
Rincewind
Philosopher

So - the world ended...

then reappeared immediately looking exactly the same?

Man, that's clever.

It's almost enough to made you believe...

Rincewind is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 12:42 AM   #123
fromdownunder
Philosopher

What a boring end of the world this one has been. *sigh* I miss Y2K *sigh*

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 01:00 AM   #124
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Zombies ? I'm hoping for meteors or aliens, myself. If it doesn't come from the sky it's not worth waking up at 6 in the morning for.
Not even if the virus came from the sky?
Old 21st December 2012, 01:16 AM   #125
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
What a boring end of the world this one has been. *sigh* I miss Y2K *sigh*

Norm
i do not miss it. Whereas the media had a fine dandy job with hyping in the comfort of their chair, real people had to do real work to avoid the catastrophe with old system not meant to survive until 2000.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 03:26 AM   #126
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

So far, no zombies/viruses/meteor showers etc.

However, if you look at the sun today, you won't be able to see the centre of the galaxy because the sun is in line with it.

(Of course, if you do that then you won't see anything else - ever. So maybe you should look at this explanation instead. )
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 03:28 AM   #127
SezMe
post-pre-born

Harold Camping is having a hoot over this.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 04:22 AM   #128
Dcdrac
Philosopher

same time next week then?
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 05:10 AM   #129
Castro
Muse

Originally Posted by Dcdrac View Post
Without Putin then. I'm afraid he'll spoil the party again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ9vv9ajd64

Last edited by Castro; 21st December 2012 at 05:16 AM.
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 05:35 AM   #130
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Originally Posted by Dcdrac View Post
Sure. We're bound to get a winner one of these days.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 06:37 AM   #131
Belz...
Fiend God

Stupid end of the world. Always late for work.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 06:38 AM   #132
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Not even if the virus came from the sky?
I'll get back to you.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 07:19 AM   #133
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
Which one ? I was at the one of frankfurt am main, that was fun. Although I only drank kinder punch :P. The weather outside looks cold, when is this apocalypse thingy comming ? I don't wanna go out for shopping...
I was in Esslingen near Stuttgart. It was cold last night though it was warm enough in my mug.

Last edited by Craig4; 21st December 2012 at 07:29 AM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 07:26 AM   #134
alphahelix
Thinker

The power flickered briefly where I am located.

Its a sign I says...

This looks like a job for the coinwinkadink patrol™
alphahelix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 08:17 AM   #135
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

It's the End of the World as we Know it, and I Feel Fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 08:17 AM   #136
Mark F
Graduate Poster

About 4 or 5 weeks ago it suddenly occurred to me that the Gangnam Style video would reach 1 billion hits on Youtube on or about the 21st. Other people seem to have had the same idea and strangely we were right - shouldn't be but another hour or two before this benchmark is reached.

A sure sign of the apocalypse if ever this was one.

I think it could be for real this time - or not.
Mark F is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 08:33 AM   #137
GeneMachine
Critical Thinker

I was in Esslingen near Stuttgart. It was cold last night though it was warm enough in my mug.
I think they predicted nothing but a day of apocalyptic hangovers. Munich here. Feuerzangenbowle is evil stuff, kids...
GeneMachine is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 08:46 AM   #138
DrDave
Illuminator

It was a long, tough night but I saved all your asses.

I'll take the thanks in cash please

DrDave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 08:59 AM   #139
Biscuit
Philosopher

I don't know about you guys but its raining pitchfork wielding mayan zombies where I live.
Old 21st December 2012, 09:53 AM   #140
DaveThomasNMSR
Muse

'Nuff said!
DaveThomasNMSR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 10:02 AM   #141
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GeneMachine View Post
I think they predicted nothing but a day of apocalyptic hangovers. Munich here. Feuerzangenbowle is evil stuff, kids...
Yep, there's a booth in the medieval market in Esslingen that sells the Feuerzangenbowle. Totally been there. I'm going to hit Innsbruck's market tomorrow, having had a day to recover. If you're not Christmas marketed out Strasbourg and Colmar's in the Alsace, France go until New Year. That is assuming that the world does not end by midnight on the 21st. I'll be pissed if it does because I had to prepay for the hotel in Austria.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 10:14 AM   #142
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Hmmm... my personal kook didn't show up to work today. Hope he didn't go totally stupid.
Old 21st December 2012, 10:21 AM   #143
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
Hmmm... my personal kook didn't show up to work today. Hope he didn't go totally stupid.
Make sure you know where the emergency exits are in case they storm in with a gun, intent upon "sparing" all of you the trials and tribulations of the coming apocalypse.

On a related note, this morning I had a chat with someone on the train. Today was the first time they were heading out in public dressed as a woman instead of as a man. Apparently they've been wanting to transition or years and concluded that today would be a good day for their old life to end and their new one to begin.

So, for one person at least, today IS the apocalypse, but a good one, a revealing of a new life.

Last edited by halleyscomet; 21st December 2012 at 10:24 AM.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 10:32 AM   #144
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
Make sure you know where the emergency exits are in case they storm in with a gun, intent upon "sparing" all of you the trials and tribulations of the coming apocalypse.
More tribulations, actually. Many of them never go to trial.
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 10:47 AM   #145
GeneMachine
Critical Thinker

Yep, there's a booth in the medieval market in Esslingen that sells the Feuerzangenbowle. Totally been there. I'm going to hit Innsbruck's market tomorrow, having had a day to recover. If you're not Christmas marketed out Strasbourg and Colmar's in the Alsace, France go until New Year. That is assuming that the world does not end by midnight on the 21st. I'll be pissed if it does because I had to prepay for the hotel in Austria.
Ahh.... Strasbourg would be great, but I got no time. I'm pretty much packing the last box for my move to Nürnberg at the moment. Getting the move done will take most of next week. However, there's the Christkindlsmarkt in Nürnberg to consider Have fun in Innsbruck!
GeneMachine is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 11:38 AM   #146
River
Illuminator

Just got this in an email, thought it was funny and appropriate.

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 12:41 PM   #147
George 152
Philosopher

Well nothing happened at its usual rate.
Now. do we have to get ready for the excuses about how they forgot to multiply something by something and the world will end on ................
George 152 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 12:51 PM   #148
LandR
Graduate Poster

Has anyone heard any excuses yet as to why the apocalypse didn't take place ?
LandR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 01:18 PM   #149
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LandR View Post
Has anyone heard any excuses yet as to why the apocalypse didn't take place ?
This quote typifies what I've been seeing the last few days:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1....html?ir=World

Quote:
"The world was never going to end, this was an invention of the mass media," said Yolotzin, who leads the Aztec ritual dance group Cuautli-balam. "It is going to be a good era. ... We are going to be better."
In other words, it's the hippie-dippy version of the Camping crowd's "Spiritual Rapture" or whatever BS term the octogenarian con artist used to explain away the lack of a late May Armageddon.
Old 21st December 2012, 11:18 PM   #150
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Well, it is now the 22nd of December all over the world (except at the international date line where it is now the 23rd )

Guess what has happened to yet another doomsday prediction?
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 11:40 PM   #151
Crocoshark
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Well, it is now the 22nd of December all over the world
No it's not. It's still 10:40 here in California, and I think 9:40 in Hawaii.
Crocoshark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2012, 12:10 AM   #152
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Crocoshark View Post
Way to point out the error in my calculation.
Now I'm scared again.
Old 22nd December 2012, 12:22 AM   #153
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Crocoshark View Post
Those antipodeans sure seem quick to write us off, eh?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2012, 03:20 AM   #154
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
21/12/12 is now over everywhere.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2012, 04:08 AM   #155
Ian
Thinker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hJQ18S6aag
Ian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2012, 04:42 AM   #156
Furi
Felix Sapiens

So did the world end, or do I just need more caffeine?
Furi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2012, 04:45 AM   #157
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Furi View Post
So did the world end, or do I just need more caffeine?
Yes.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2012, 05:15 AM   #158
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I'm not scared anymore. (Or should I still be?)
Old 22nd December 2012, 12:43 PM   #159
Roma
Master Poster

Well I listened to the radio program Coast to Coast last night just to keep up to date on the important conspiracy theories I must be in fear of.

It was reported that "of course" nothing happend on the 21st of December, that was never a Mayan calendar, that was an Aztek calendar people were looking at, duh.

They went on to report that the "rapture" will happen in January 2013.
The New World Order will take over in March 2013.
and there will be a huge comet hurtling near the earth by Sept. 2013, but it won't hit the earth, the one behind it that we can't see yet, that one will hit, unless we all blow ourselves to smithereeens with nuclear weapons first.

See ? You just have to keep up or you'll never know what to be afraid of,
personally I'm always afraid of aliens and ghosts, oh and spiders, and assorted parts falling off of planes flying overhead, and wheels coming off of random big rig trucks on the highways, and radiation emitting from computer screens, oh....

Last edited by Roma; 22nd December 2012 at 12:49 PM.
Roma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2012, 12:50 PM   #160
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
I reckon there will be a woofrenzy leading up to the 21st, but what will they do when nothing happens?

My money is on "select a new doomsday of their choice".
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Well I listened to the radio program Coast to Coast last night just to keep up to date on the important conspiracy theories I must be in fear of.

It was reported that "of course" nothing happend on the 21st of December, that was never a Mayan calendar, that was an Aztek calendar people were looking at, duh.

They went on to report that the "rapture" will happen in January 2013.
The New World Order will take over in March 2013.
and there will be a huge comet hurtling near the earth by Sept. 2013, but it won't hit the earth, the one behind it that we can't see yet, that one will hit, unless we all blow ourselves to smithereeens with nuclear weapons first.

See ? You just have to keep up or you'll never know what to be afraid of,
personally I'm always afraid of aliens and ghosts, oh and spiders, and assorted parts falling off of planes flying overhead, and wheels coming off of random big rig trucks on the highways, and radiation emitting from computer screens, oh....
Nailed it.

Bow before my power of prophecy, lowly mortals.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal