IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th November 2011, 09:03 PM   #1
mortimer
NWO Janitor

JREF donations as holiday gifts

I would really like to give out JREF donations as gifts to family and friends this holiday season. Is there a good way to do this? Something where they get a card or something indicating what the donations made in their names are going towards?
Old 18th November 2011, 10:39 PM   #2
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Could you make a donation, get the receipt and then give it to the person? They can then use the receipt as a tax deduction. The receipt would be in their name. Not sure what I would think if I was on the receiving end of such a gift.

I assume such donations are tax deductible.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2011, 08:19 AM   #3
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Could you make a donation, get the receipt and then give it to the person? They can then use the receipt as a tax deduction. The receipt would be in their name. Not sure what I would think if I was on the receiving end of such a gift.

I assume such donations are tax deductible.
IANAL, but I believe the only person who can get the deduction is the one who made the actual donation.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2011, 09:01 AM   #4
Ray Brady
Graduate Poster

In my opinion, charitable contributions in someone else's name are more of an insult than a gift. You're essentially not giving the recipient anything other than an implicit admonishment about what they should be spending their money on if they were as good a person as you.

If you don't want to give your family anything, don't give them anything. If you want to give to the JREF, give to the JREF. There's no need to conflate the two.
Ray Brady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2011, 06:57 PM   #5
Brian-M
Daydreamer

Originally Posted by Ray Brady View Post
In my opinion, charitable contributions in someone else's name are more of an insult than a gift. You're essentially not giving the recipient anything other than an implicit admonishment about what they should be spending their money on if they were as good a person as you.

If you don't want to give your family anything, don't give them anything. If you want to give to the JREF, give to the JREF. There's no need to conflate the two.
I agree.

It's sort of like a parent telling their kid: "Hey Johnny, you know that remote control car you really wanted for Christmas? Well, I bought it, and gave it to an orphaned kid in your name. That's your Christmas present from me, knowing how happy this the orphan kid will be with the gift you wanted."

I'm sure Johnny would be thrilled to hear this.

Of course, adults don't tend to get excited over Christmas presents as kids do. After all, if they really wanted it, they'd just buy it for themselves (unless it's too expensive, in which case it would be too expensive to be appropriate for a Christmas present).

But the principle is still the same.

Basically, it's a cheat. You give X a gift and Y no gift, then try to convince Y that giving a gift to X is somehow a gift for Y.

Last edited by Brian-M; 26th November 2011 at 07:02 PM.
Brian-M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2011, 10:34 PM   #6
little grey rabbit
Banned

Well I think you are all being very cynical.

I for one have no doubt that the mortimer household will be filled with little cries of joy and happiness come Christmas day as one after another his or her family members open their parcels to find little receipts from the JREF.
little grey rabbit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2011, 10:43 PM   #7
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
I would really like to give out JREF donations as gifts to family and friends this holiday season. Is there a good way to do this? Something where they get a card or something indicating what the donations made in their names are going towards?
Why not send each them a card you wrote yourself, personalized for each family member and friend you care about, explaining what you did and why?

I mean, usually, I'm giving gifts, I don't ask for some third-party tax write-off to have one of their fry clerks robo-sign a card in my name.

I mean, in addition to donating to a charity they may not know or care about (and may not even care to sponsor if they did know), nothing says "I can't be arsed to pursue a personal relationship with you" like a card from someone else.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2011, 02:23 AM   #8
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ray Brady View Post

I feel the same way. It feels like a trick to get twice the value for the money. This is a wholly personal decision of course, but why not give your family the money and let them decide what to do with it? Even if they want to donate it to a charity, they may have one they prefer to JREF.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2011, 11:39 AM   #9
JREF Staff
JREF Staff

mortimer,

Thank you for your interest in supporting the JREF. We would be happy to help you set up a gift membership.

While our system does not currently offer the option on the membership page we can enter them manually.

What you will need to do is become a member yourself which will give you an automated donation receipt for tax purposes. At that point you can email the JREF at development@randi.org with the name and address of the person you want to gift the membership to. We will then change the membership information over and send out a member card, pin and Season of Reason holiday ornament to that person.

Thank you again for your interest. We couldn't continue to combat unreason and harmful pseudoscience without help like yours.
JREF Staff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF