IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd January 2012, 08:36 AM   #1
bit_pattern

What does JREF do exactly?

And why do they want me to cough up my hard earned cash? How exactly are they "fighting the fakers"? I'm genuinely interested, I have no idea what they do.
bit_pattern is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:07 AM   #2
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Scroll to the top of the web page you are posting from. See that big huge banner that says "James Randi Educational Foundation"? Click on it. See that says "What We Do"? Click on that. Click in turn on the tabs that appear. Read. Obtain enlightenment.

Old 5th January 2012, 02:54 AM   #3
bit_pattern

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Scroll to the top of the web page you are posting from. See that big huge banner that says "James Randi Educational Foundation"? Click on it. See that says "What We Do"? Click on that. Click in turn on the tabs that appear. Read. Obtain enlightenment.

Ha! OK, I'm pretty sure that's what the kids today call "pwnage" and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Now excuse me while I try to dislodge this size 13 foot from my mouth

Probably a good example of why it's a bad idea to pose the big questions when you've been drinking.

Last edited by bit_pattern; 5th January 2012 at 02:56 AM.
bit_pattern is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2012, 02:59 AM   #4
Joey McGee
Banned

Saves people's intellect. I remember the days chatting with Randi about how he thought I was delusional. He was basically Satan to me. But this damn forum kept popping up in Google when I was trying to find evidence of the supernatural. Oh yeah THAT is embarrassing...

Last edited by Joey McGee; 5th January 2012 at 03:00 AM.
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2012, 03:04 AM   #5
Joey McGee
Banned

Quote:
Probably a good example of why it's a bad idea to pose the big questions when you've been drinking.
And now for a good idea as to why to do so
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable.
Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table.
David Hume could out-consume
Wilhelm Freidrich Hegel,
And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel.

There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya'
'Bout the raising of the wrist.
SOCRATES, HIMSELF, WAS PERMANENTLY PISSED...

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,
On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill.
Plato, they say, could stick it away;
Half a crate of whiskey every day.
Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle,
Hobbes was fond of his dram,
And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart: "I drink, therefore I am"
Yes, Socrates, himself, is particularly missed;
A lovely little thinker but a bugger when he's pissed!

Last edited by Joey McGee; 5th January 2012 at 03:12 AM.
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2012, 03:24 AM   #6
bit_pattern

Brilliant! You just made my day with that!
Old 5th January 2012, 09:46 AM   #7
Joey McGee
Banned

Grateful to know!

I had about 14 beers in me last night when I got the inspiration to post that.

QED

Last edited by Joey McGee; 5th January 2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 5th January 2012, 07:08 PM   #8
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bit_pattern View Post
Ha! OK, I'm pretty sure that's what the kids today call "pwnage" and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Now excuse me while I try to dislodge this size 13 foot from my mouth

I'm always happy to help out a fellow drinker. Now. Which way did we come in?

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF