IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th February 2012, 12:06 AM   #1
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

The works of Randi and others need to be spread to Latin America

As a Latin American, I am very familiar with just how much and in how much intensity, woo is present in the media, and in the daily life of Latin American people.

I've just seen the video Orphia Nay Posted and the first thing I thought was: I wish I had a full documentary of Randi's trajectory, of what he does and how he does it... with spanish subtitles, or overdubbed to spanish.

The Latin American societies need to have their dose of debunking and skepticism in their media. There is just too much presence of woo and mysticism in their daily media consumption, and they completely ignore that people like James Randi exist. In fact, expressions such as "debunking" or "cold reading" doesn't even exist in their dictionary. When I hear my family speak at family reunions, about how there's such and such psychic who's "really accurate" because he will tell you "You will meet a person whose first name starts with either a C or a B", you understand that these people are not familiar at all with what "cold reading" is.

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2012, 10:51 PM   #2
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
As a Latin American, I am very familiar with just how much and in how much intensity, woo is present in the media, and in the daily life of Latin American people.

I've just seen the video Orphia Nay Posted and the first thing I thought was: I wish I had a full documentary of Randi's trajectory, of what he does and how he does it... with spanish subtitles, or overdubbed to spanish.

The Latin American societies need to have their dose of debunking and skepticism in their media. There is just too much presence of woo and mysticism in their daily media consumption, and they completely ignore that people like James Randi exist. In fact, expressions such as "debunking" or "cold reading" doesn't even exist in their dictionary. When I hear my family speak at family reunions, about how there's such and such psychic who's "really accurate" because he will tell you "You will meet a person whose first name starts with either a C or a B", you understand that these people are not familiar at all with what "cold reading" is.
Ron, two points:

1. "Not invented here" may be an obstacle

2. What's stopping you?
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2012, 10:58 PM   #3
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Ron, hopefully the film will do well, and eventually be dubbed in Spanish. Another reason to spread the word about it and maybe donate to it.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2012, 12:19 AM   #4
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post

Ron, I am not currently in Latin America, but I grew up in Mexico.

I know that, at least in Mexico, there is a skeptical movement, but I agree it needs help and encouragement for it to grow.

See http://escepticosunidosmexicanos.blogspot.com/, for example.

I am willing to do what I can to keep spreading the movement from outside. Hope I can help.

Last edited by AdMan; 25th February 2012 at 12:21 AM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF