IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags JREF fundraising

Old 29th December 2011, 09:16 PM   #1
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Ways for JREF to raise money

How should JREF raise money? It has sent spam e-mails and PMs to us forum members. This has created a couple of threads here. Now this one is to suggest some other ways it could do so.

My ideas
1. Open a physical shop. Or maybe several. Many charities (mostly religious) have shops that sell second hand clothing, toys and other household goods donated by various people. A charity I work for participates in a combined Christmas card shop every year. It sells cards (of course), calendars, diaries and tea towels. For a few days work it raises about $1,000.

2. Suggest that people donate money via their will. Some people may have no children or the children they have are not worth leaving any money to. So they can leave money to charities such as JREF.

3. Increase the on-line existence. Sell stuff via e-bay and other places that sell stuff. Checked the main page. Could not see a link to such a shop.

Any other ideas?
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2011, 09:20 PM   #2
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

4. Certain spammers would love to spam this forum. OK then give them userids and tell them go forth and spam this forum. Only charge them $ per post they make. Members could put these spammers on ignore so the only people who actually see them would be non-members.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2011, 09:50 PM   #3
Stupefied
Student

Perhaps just a clearer idea of what the money is for. Have a graph or something on the home page that shows what the next goal is and what it will take to achieve it, that is if the operators of the site want to choose which goals are most important in descending order. Obviously the first goal would be to X$ to keep the site open and then X$ for ads, information pamphlets or whatever to oppose certain groups or to inform about certain topics.
Maybe just break it up into categories that people can donate for; for example a person could donate X$ to oppose the antivax movement.
It might also work to have a contest of sorts where every so often we are given a choice between which is the worst of whatever woo topics. Every vote costs a small amount, $1 or even less. You can vote as many times as you like, and the winner gets the money to help in that area.
Stupefied is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2011, 10:36 PM   #4
gentlehorse
Master Poster

Say something along the lines of:

Here's what we want to do. Here's how much it's going to cost. Here's how much we have. Here's how much we need. All help is appreciated.
gentlehorse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2011, 11:04 PM   #5
epepke
Philosopher

Sell charms made from a single hair of Randi's beard.

"There's no evidence that the 9-11 attacks (whoever did them) were deliberately attacking civilians. On the contrary the targets appear to have been chosen as military."
-DavidByron
epepke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2011, 03:50 PM   #6
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

I think the primary requirement is accountability.
People like to know where their money goes.
Keep people informed.

I suggest they forget "JREF membership". Do away with it entirely.
If there are only 650 active members, it suggests my experience is common- I joined up initially, realised all membership actually gave me was a plastic membership card I threw in a drawer, and I let it lapse.
At TAM five I gave a cash donation, via Hal. That resulted in (next year) me being solicited to sign up for membership at one of the higher rates.
That left a bad taste.

I can see that if someone donates a buck, you may ask for another buck- and that if he gives $100, you might hope for something in that range next year, but if somebody happens to have a bit of cash and is generous once, expecting him to be generous to the same level regularly thereafter is not just unrealistic; it's unmannerly.

This may be a difference in attitude between Americans and Brits, I don't know, but it upset me seriously at the time and I did not renew membership thereafter.

There are ways to ask that are likely to bring results without annoying people. It's important not to alienate supporters. It's also better to get $5 a month, every month, than $50 once a year. If the 2000 or so active forum members chipped in a dollar a month after administrative costs, how much of the cost of the forum would that cover? What if 10,000 did? I think that is achievable. Of course there's a minimum amount worth processing and it will be maybe 5 , maybe 8, maybe 11 bucks, I don't know. But getting that sort of smaller payment regularly might give better overall returns than getting one larger annual payment, if it can be spread to a bigger group.
Especially if the one-of payments are getting rarer.

Asking people who may be trimming their budget closer than they ever have, to hand over a couple of hundred dollars is apt to make them simply decide that this year, charity starts at home.

Also, please dump the junk. When I donated recently I was sent some sort of Santa Christmas decoration, which went straight in the bin. If there was an opt out for this, I missed it. I regret that, because it was an avoidable cost. This sort of thing is unnecessary. Did anyone donate to get this object? It may be a question worth asking.
Personally, I'm sceptical.

I also suggest ring fencing donations for the forum from those for the foundation, simply because many forum users, especially outwith the USA, really have little interest in most JREF activities, while being pretty fanatical about the forum.

This has precedent. There have been forum fundraisers before. There's no need for a total separation either.I'd hate to see forum users charged a mandatory fee, but even small contributions from a majority of users could relieve JREF of the costs of supporting the forum.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2011, 04:31 PM   #7
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Soapy Sam View Post
<snip>

I also suggest ring fencing donations for the forum from those for the foundation, simply because many forum users, especially outwith the USA, really have little interest in most JREF activities, while being pretty fanatical about the forum.

This has precedent. There have been forum fundraisers before. There's no need for a total separation either.I'd hate to see forum users charged a mandatory fee, but even small contributions from a majority of users could relieve JREF of the costs of supporting the forum.
I think this could work when the forum needs an upgrade. Solicit donations from forum members and tell them 100% of their donations will go towards an upgrade. Say how much is required. This day may not be too far away.
Old 31st December 2011, 06:33 PM   #8
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Having some sort of symbol (a small flying pig, star, whatever) that displays next to a Forum members name on posts that indicates they've donated x $. This can be as simple as that, or add multiple symbols or multiples of symbols representing levels of support. Or, in tandem with previous suggestion of fencing off JREF forum financial support, symbols showing that support and other symbols showing general $ support.

More than just financial support can be shown in this way... A symbol for TAM volunteerism, $1M Challenge test participation, etc.

This will encourage the perception of partnership between the JREF mission and JREF forum members.

Perhaps not directly money related...

When JREF forum member are made aware of a need, they jump to help. Knowing this about the Forum members:

If the specific programs could be itemized in the forums (perhaps a dedicated forum for the presentation and discussion of JREF programs), so that members could offer financial support, volunteer support, or other resource support to the programs. Minimally, it puts JREF programs in a place where 3,000 JREF members see the programs consistently, they know where to direct people that have/need support of said programs. Again, this gets the JREF and more Forum members working together.
Old 1st January 2012, 09:54 AM   #9
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
I think this could work when the forum needs an upgrade. Solicit donations from forum members and tell them 100% of their donations will go towards an upgrade. Say how much is required. This day may not be too far away.
It has worked in the past.
Of course, I can understand how Mr. Randi might find it a bit upsetting if supporters are more willing to support the forum than the foundation, but at the end of the day, if the forum was even part self supporting, it's all a load off JREF general finances.

Last edited by Soapy Sam; 1st January 2012 at 09:56 AM.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2012, 10:01 AM   #10
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
Having some sort of symbol (a small flying pig, star, whatever) that displays next to a Forum members name on posts that indicates they've donated x $.
TGF- some time back there was a "Donor" flag that appeared alongside posters' names.
It was possible to opt out of that and I rather suspect many donors did.
It seemed rather tacky to me, but these things are cultural. If folk like it, why not- but I would hope for an opt out.
Many people on the forum really are very hard up by their own standards. It would be shameful if they were forced to feel like second class citizens because they are unable to donate.
Old 1st January 2012, 10:24 AM   #11
AlBell
Philosopher

Hand printed sign on cardboard held next to red light traffic backup; Please Help.
AlBell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2012, 10:31 AM   #12
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Soapy Sam View Post
TGF- some time back there was a "Donor" flag that appeared alongside posters' names.
It was possible to opt out of that and I rather suspect many donors did.
It seemed rather tacky to me, but these things are cultural. If folk like it, why not- but I would hope for an opt out.
Many people on the forum really are very hard up by their own standards. It would be shameful if they were forced to feel like second class citizens because they are unable to donate.
Honestly, it seemed tacky to me also, and I opposed the idea on that basis, but the other BoD folks thought it good. Unfortunately, it did motivate the people/members to donate, and to volunteer in other ways. A small number of donors did opt out (of which I was one). I could see why it worked on that forum but might backfire on JREF.
Old 1st January 2012, 10:31 AM   #13
RobDegraves
Muse

Ideas for money.

1. Set a financial target. If we meet it, Randi goes after the fraud of our choice, decided by a poll of the people who donated. Even better, it could be set up as votes you can buy. I would pay a fair deal to see some of those bastards go down.

(Heck, can you imagine how much you could raise for Randi to punch Sylvia Browne in the snout? I know it won't happen but I'd pony up large for that one. )

2. JREF calendar. Some of our better looking members perhaps in provocative or intellectual poses. Works well for firemen.

3. Fundraiser to have an online Q & A with Randi or someone famous or really interesting. It's like a speaking engagement but the guest can do it sitting naked at his/her computer. Always fun.

More to come...
RobDegraves is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2012, 10:42 AM   #14
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Originally Posted by AlBell View Post
Hand printed sign on cardboard held next to red light traffic backup; Please Help.
"will think for food."
Old 1st January 2012, 12:05 PM   #15
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

"will think critically for food."

How about some raffles or auctions? Win a signed collection of Randi’s books or the highest bidder gets to have lunch with him and discuss any topic (hey if Warren Buffett can do it).
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:59 PM   #16
Susan Gerbic
Graduate Poster

Are the TAM8 and TAM9 videos out yet?
Old 2nd March 2012, 08:37 PM   #17
mortimer
NWO Janitor

I would strongly suggest a monthly gift rather than a yearly one. A basic membership is $100/yr, but many cannot afford an initial outlay of that amount. What about an option to donate $10 or $15 per month?
Old 17th March 2012, 10:34 AM   #18
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
I would strongly suggest a monthly gift rather than a yearly one. A basic membership is $100/yr, but many cannot afford an initial outlay of that amount. What about an option to donate $10 or $15 per month?
That's $120 - $180, rather than $100.

Are you in sales?
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 06:24 AM   #19
The Fifer
Scholar

I worked a Lexmark in Scotland a few years ago and was made redundant when they closed the Scotland plant, I was given bonus shares which I had to hold for a time before I could cash them in. I still have two and a half dollars worth and have just gotten a cheque this morning for a dividend of 41 cents. It would cost more to cash this cheque than its worth. so what if every one who had a few dollars worth of shares were to give them to jref then perhaps there would be enough collectively to make it worthwhile. Or would this cost too much.
The Fifer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2012, 05:55 AM   #20
Humanists Harbor
Thinker

Years ago I suggested that folks use http://www.goodsearch.com/ to raise money for the JREF. It's a search engine that donates a small amount to a charity of your choice every time you use it. If the forum members used it on a regular basis it could potentially add up. In the past I was using it more to raise money for a friend's small charity but that's no longer operating. I'd forgotten about it recently, I'll have to get back in the habit of using it, for JREF this time.
Humanists Harbor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2012, 09:56 PM   #21
Joey McGee
Banned

The best way for the JREF to continue getting my money is by continuing actions like this

Two New Classroom Modules Available From The James Randi Educational Foundation (Friday, 23 March 2012)

p.s. thanks James (by email and lifelong actions) and the forum for being the major force in saving me from several cults and a life of woo

Last edited by Joey McGee; 27th March 2012 at 09:59 PM.
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF