IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th September 2012, 12:51 PM   #1
IMST
If Charlie Parker Was a Gunslinger, There'd Be a Whole Lot of Dead Copycats

Amazing Adventure 2012 - The trouble with Belize

I was looking over the information for the Amazing Adventure 2012, and I wanted to express a bit of concern that Belize is included. I'm a little surprised it would be included in the itinerary given that Belize law forbids gay and lesbian individuals from entering the country. Will DJ Grothe be skipping that stop? I'm not sure if I would have been able to attend anyway, the price is pretty steep for my budget, but I'm not going to be making the effort with Belize on the itinerary.

Cheers,
IMST

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Belize
Old 4th September 2012, 02:23 PM   #2
JREF Staff
JREF Staff

Interesting point. My partner Thomas and I have vacationed in Belize without a problem.

Gay sex is also illegal in other popular cruise destinations in the Caribbean: Jamaica, Trinidad, Antigua, Barbados, Grenada, St Kitts, etc.

And speaking of such laws, there have actually been a number of states in the US that make gay sex illegal (including Florida, Missouri, and Texas, all of which I spent considerable time in) but that never kept me from traveling to those states over the last 20 years. These states' sodomy laws were in effect until relatively recently, due to Lawrence v. Texas.

We all plan on enjoying the cruise. Randi will be there in full force. And we will celebrate in ways only skeptics can in the Mayan Riviera that it is not the End of the World. (The excursions and lectures on Mayan 2012 prophecies will be a hoot.)
JREF Staff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2012, 02:28 PM   #3
IMST

With Belize, it's not just a sex ban. With a real desire to visit a place, I'm happy to abstain (temporarily). Belize, however, explicitly bars us from entry on the grounds of our orientation. I'm glad you haven't had problems vacationing there in the past, but the fact remains that according to their statues, you, I and Randi aren't allowed in.
Old 5th September 2012, 09:04 PM   #4
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

How will they know your orientation?

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2012, 06:20 PM   #5
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
They use a Gaydar Machine.

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2012, 07:15 PM   #6
IMST

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
Mine? Wouldn't be obvious. Couple out public figures could be an issue, though.

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF