IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags james randi , mdc

Old 21st February 2010, 07:22 PM   #1
ThorGoLucky
New Blood

Yet another madman at the pub

Hi, I had an odd conversation a few weeks ago with a man at a pub in Corvallis, Oregon, who was convinced that James Randi had an ulterior "Christian ministries" motive. He didn't have any references, and I couldn't find a scrap of evidence myself; not even from any conspiracy websites. I wonder if he made up the delusion on the spot. Weird.

Also, he was adamant that Randi is to travel at his expense to investigate paranormal claims instead of them traveling to controlled environments.

I just thought I'd pass on some of the bizarreness that I've come across. Apologies if this is an inappropriate forum for such things.
ThorGoLucky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:23 AM   #2
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ThorGoLucky View Post
Hi, I had an odd conversation a few weeks ago with a man at a pub in Corvallis, Oregon, who was convinced that James Randi had an ulterior "Christian ministries" motive. He didn't have any references, and I couldn't find a scrap of evidence myself; not even from any conspiracy websites. I wonder if he made up the delusion on the spot. Weird.

Also, he was adamant that Randi is to travel at his expense to investigate paranormal claims instead of them traveling to controlled environments.

I just thought I'd pass on some of the bizarreness that I've come across. Apologies if this is an inappropriate forum for such things.
The man at the pub must have been "convinced" more by the amount of alcohol drank than the amount of facts he knew. I can’t imagine where the “ulterior Christian ministries motive” conviction might otherwise come from. Some Christian ministries, like Randi, reject things like magic, and fortune telling, and new age non-sense. But Randi pretty much puts Christian ministries into that some lot of woos. Randi hasn’t exactly been a supporter, ulterior or not, of Christianity or any religion. Randi has been quite vocally at least agnostic, and perhaps atheist, depending on which statements you consider.

Travel and expenses for the Million Dollar Challenge are covered in the application and the FAQs.

From http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/...plication.html

Quote:
6. In all cases, applicant will be required to perform a preliminary test either before an appointed representative, if distance and time dictate that need, or in a location where a member or representative of the JREF staff can attend.

7. All of the applicant's expenses such as transportation, accommodation, materials, assistants, and/or all other costs for any persons or procedures incurred in pursuit of the reward, are the sole responsibility of the applicant. Neither the JREF nor JR will bear any of the costs.
http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/...lenge-faq.html

Quote:
5.3 Who pays for all this?
You do. The JREF is a non-profit organization, and simply does not have the resources to pay travel and testing expenses for every single claimant. We will work with you as much as possible, and try to test near you, but in the end, if you’re convinced you’re going to win a million dollars, travel shouldn’t be that much of an issue.
In addition, the demonstration tests are generally conducted by an agency other than JREF. Randi does not conduct the tests (at least he has not done so in a great many years, and I think none since it became the Million Dollar Challenge in 1996). Randi usually does not attend the tests. Applicants may require that Randi not attend if they think he will somehow affect their ability to demonstrate their claim.
Old 8th November 2011, 08:04 PM   #3
ThorGoLucky
New Blood

I had the pleasure of meeting James Randi in person at TAM 9 and I told him about the bizarre accusation that he was involved in some kind of undercover Christian ministry. Mr. Randi understated, "Not that I know of."
ThorGoLucky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2011, 12:10 AM   #4
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

hey! I'm in Corvallis too!. what bar?
gabeygoat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2011, 12:29 AM   #5
ThorGoLucky
New Blood

Originally Posted by gabeygoat View Post
hey! I'm in Corvallis too!. what bar?
Block 15 mostly. Also Squirrels Tavern (I'm the host of squirrelstavern.com), Laughing Planet is yummy, and good "ol'" Fireworks (formerly known as Wildfire (formerly known as Intaba's Kitchen)), and still sometimes McMenamins downtown.

You?
Old 1st March 2012, 11:50 AM   #6
Benjamin Linus
Student

Nutty is as nutty does
Benjamin Linus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2012, 03:31 PM   #7
ThorGoLucky
New Blood

I still see the madman occasionally. His latest round of gullibility is belief that unmovable indestructible seamless metal boxes were found on Oregon beaches. People tried towing them to no avail. Shooting them left no scratches. Families visiting and children playing on them. Oh the conflagration of imagination.

It had already been revealed to have been a hoax, but he was in utter denial and plans to go see these boxes for himself over the weekend. I look forward to razzing him about it afterwards.

Hoax article by Dave Masko:
http://www.huliq.com/10282/ufo-sight...oastal-beaches

Debunking:
http://www.beachconnection.net/news/...022212_318.php

Box photograph:
http://www.southlincolncountynews.co...d=2942&page=72

Harold Keith and his wife have been an excellent source of ridiculousness. They are the most gullible adults that I've ever met. More to come probably.

Last edited by ThorGoLucky; 1st March 2012 at 03:48 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF