IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th December 2011, 10:23 PM   #81
KoihimeNakamura
Creativity Murderer

Location: In 2.5 million spinning tons of metal, above Epsilion Eridani III
Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
You must remember that Randi generates more income than his salary by his speaking and other engagements.
He does. But that's more expensive than he generates.
KoihimeNakamura is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2011, 11:20 PM   #82
jakesteele
Fait Accompli

Wow! I am just now reading through this thread and I stopped to check and BAM, there it was. I think I am going to respond back tell them that Randi should write another book and donate the proceeds to his favorite cause.

Life is God’s funniest joke
And we are the punchline
jakesteele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2011, 11:59 PM   #83
JJM 777
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lisa Simpson View Post
This is the JREF's forum you know. The money he's begging for pays for this free service we are all benefiting from.
I think the running costs of this forum -- the inevitable monetary payments plus work of moderators etc -- are predominantly covered by volunteerism, i.e. the mods giving their work for free. A typical top-down community, where the guy sitting on top earns hugely, while others get little or no compensation for what they do for the organization and for the cause.
JJM 777 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 12:06 AM   #84
Childlike Empress
Banned

Originally Posted by jakesteele View Post
Wow! I am just now reading through this thread and I stopped to check and BAM, there it was. I think I am going to respond back tell them that Randi should write another book and donate the proceeds to his favorite cause.

You can't respond. That's among what makes this PM such an obviously uncool PR action given the skeptical audience. What were you guys thinking?

Originally Posted by Forum Software
The following errors occurred with your submission:

Randi has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove Randi from the recipient list and send the message again.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 12:38 AM   #85
El Greco
Summer worshipper

I got this idea: Maybe Randi should be paying the members of this forum ? Because frankly, I think that on the whole not only we do more for skepticism than JREF itself, but also make Randi and JREF famous. For example, I first came here by googling something and stumbling on a forum thread. Only after several months I started reading the newsletter and all, but after a while I stopped because there's nothing in the newsletter that isn't covered much more completely in the forum.

I think that without the forum the JREF would be much, much less well-known. And if Randi were to stop providing this "free service", then I'm pretty sure that love would find another way. I find it extremely unlikely that the forumites wouldn't find another forum to move into.

If Randi's salary is indeed close to 200,000, then I think he should be giving about 50,000 from that at least to people who spend their free time moderating the forum. Because the forum is the most important part of the JREF. The forum drives the JREF and not the other way around.

So, what about it, Randi ? Won't you fork out some money and help us fight the fakers ?

El Greco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 01:12 AM   #86
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

The main spam culprit here is automod action. When I saw I had mail I automatically assumed I had been sent to the naughty corner once again.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 01:19 AM   #87
Cain
Straussian

Interesting idea, Greco, but I'm gonna have to disagree with giving moderators money. Moderators suck.

Instead that money should go to the people who make this forum worth reading. People like me. After all, I'm one of the elite few who got hit with a SECOND message from Randi (I don't expect a third because right now he's the only person on my Ignore List).

As a result of reading the Wikipedia page on the JREF, I was reminded about the time they stopped sponsoring scholarships because funding was scarce (har, har, har). Since so many students are bogged down with debt, and because scholarships are often used to attract ambitious young minds (see for instance the essay contests sponsored by Scientologists and the Ayn Rand Institute), I think that would be a worthwhile alternative to my bank account. Maybe.

What I think is hilarious is that there people reading this thread who would actually describe the comments about Randi "ungrateful." (He doesn't even make 200 grand a year, and I'm sure for the Amazing Meeting in Vegas he has to personally drive (on his own dime) from their offices in balmy Fort Lauderdale. Or maybe they pay for gas. Or if he does fly, I doubt they cover it. And he rides coach).
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 01:25 AM   #88
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Hmmm interesting idea, Cain. A Paypal link next to the nominate button perhaps?
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 02:41 AM   #89
chran
Muse

I'm just going to quote this. James Randi is welcome in my box anytime (yes, I indeed went there! )

Originally Posted by truethat View Post
I see this kind of thing on here all the time. How pathetic is it to complain that we don't have a forum messenger to come to the forum to update the posters about what's going on in JREF.

AYFKM? Most of the people on this site don't donate, we don't involve ourselves on what goes on with the foundation as a Non Profit, yet we expect to be "Kept in the loop" because we're too lazy to go see what's going on???

There's a main page and newsletter, but we still want to be coddled as if we are somehow important to the JREF foundation when we don't support it, we don't care about it and we are not up to date on what it is doing.

Sorry but who the he double hockey sticks do you all think you are. You are participants on a message board that you get to use for free, you act as if you are share holders or something.

Seriously man. Pathetic.
e: I also donated. So there.

Last edited by chran; 30th December 2011 at 02:42 AM. Reason: pwn
chran is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 03:28 AM   #90
JihadJane
not a camel

It's better than the spam I keep getting from Locknar.
Old 30th December 2011, 03:34 AM   #91
Ginarley
Post-normalist

Great posts by Wolf earlier on mirror most of my views. I've been involved in this forum in one way or another (albeit a much more avid reader than poster) for a while now. When I first arrived it felt, from my very outside perspective, like the JREF and the JREF forum were closely related entities (or even the same thing). JREF activities were actively and positively discussed on the forum and I used to feel quite a close affiliation to JREF via my participation and reading on the forum. However increasingly I feel like the JREF forum is where my affiliation lies, not the JREF itself. It seems to me that recent appeals (and DJ Grothe's responses here) are symptomatic of a growing distance between the two things. I'm not sure that's a positive direction to move in, for either half of the equation.

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget."- Don Draper

http://authorofconfusion.wordpress.com/
Ginarley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 03:42 AM   #92
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Hmmm interesting idea, Cain. A Paypal link next to the nominate button perhaps?
You're a thinker. That's exactly what we do. Although... I'm sure some evil people would attempt to game the system. Humans suck.

I guess money could go to the winners of those stupid contests.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 04:57 AM   #93
Ysidro
I'm watching you

Well, it seems pretty obvious the foundation doesn't care about the forum. Why should the forum care about the foundation?
Old 30th December 2011, 08:45 AM   #94
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

I'm very upset. Not only did these show up in my inbox, but I'm unable to figure out how to delete them! It would probably take about a half a second, but that is a lot of time in my busy schedule. In fact, I'm putting everything else in my life on hold, because nothing could possibly be more important than getting these messages out of my inbox.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 09:03 AM   #95
DrDave
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
I'm very upset. Not only did these show up in my inbox, but I'm unable to figure out how to delete them! It would probably take about a half a second, but that is a lot of time in my busy schedule. In fact, I'm putting everything else in my life on hold, because nothing could possibly be more important than getting these messages out of my inbox.
You should also sue for lost earnings while you work it out. Or take it out of whatever you were going to donate
DrDave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 09:04 AM   #96
DrDave
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ysidro View Post
Well, it seems pretty obvious the foundation doesn't care about the forum. Why should the forum care about the foundation?
Because they fund it?
DrDave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 09:06 AM   #97
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DrDave View Post
You should also sue for lost earnings while you work it out. Or take it out of whatever you were going to donate
Good idea. I'm calling Rabinowitz, Rabinowitz and Rabinowitz right now!

The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 09:27 AM   #98
Ysidro
I'm watching you

Originally Posted by DrDave View Post
Because they fund it?
Nope, not good enough.

Yes, I'm serious.

Apparently we exist out of some sense of inertia and a new thought that we can be used as a mailing list. Certainly not as a viable and wanted community of skeptics and freethinkers. That would take actual work and after all, the JREF president has a cold.

Now, if they wanted to make this a pay-to-play forum, that would be different. I may or may not bite on that.

Probably not though. There are plenty of free forums and blogs with comment sections with communities that have the owners active and caring.

But I guess I should just shut up and pay. Why, how dare I have an opinion! Don't I know I should bow down and be an unthinking, unskeptical....oh, wait....

Wanna know what's funny? Just before I wrote this I got a message from Asian Elephant Support. No appeals to emotion. Just a thanks for your support, a listing of things they've done this year, and a reminder that it's still not too late to give. A couple pictures of cute elephants doesn't hurt, but I think Randi's kinda cute too.

Last edited by Ysidro; 30th December 2011 at 09:31 AM.
Ysidro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 09:35 AM   #99
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I don't know who is responsible for this, but can I assume to speak for the majority of members by saying WE GET IT. Some of us might be thick, but stickies, banners and emails have got the "please donate" message through quite successfully. Now a PM? Know what the letter "P" stands for?

Now I may be the only member to be singled out by the great man, and if so, I apologize, but I somehow doubt it.
That's funny.... I got it, read it, and now I no longer care.

And just like that, it's over.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 09:40 AM   #100
truethat
Banned

Common sense says that if you have a data base of 27,000 people who have an interest in skepticism, you would be foolish not to reach out to them to ask for donations.

You get the emails and delete them. I don't get what the big deal is. LOL
truethat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 09:55 AM   #101
Rasmus
Philosopher

Common sense says that if you have a data base of 27,000 people who have an interest in skepticism, you would be foolish not to reach out to them to ask for donations.

No, you obviously don't.

Until you actually understand what other people are saying why not just refrain from dismissing their concerns out of hand?

I assure you it is very easy for me to simply delete or ignore any messages from the JREF. And that will happen sooner or later if they end up being too annoying for me otherwise. The result, however, is that I'll never be donating again simply because I will be very effective in not ever seeing any of the reminders.

I would assume that this is not what the JREF wants. Maybe I am wrong, though.
Old 30th December 2011, 10:00 AM   #102
truethat
Banned

There are about what 10 people in this thread whining about it. I do understand that it's annoying and I get the deal that it does feel like hitting us up for money. But it's not that big of a deal. For those of you that it is, I can assure you that Randi has probably made a ton of money through donations because of this effort. I would have definitely donated if I had money in my paypal account at the time.

So I'm sorry the dozen or so of you are upset. If it was as bad as you say it is, I doubt they'd get any donations.

I suppose what I find annoying is the way people can't seem to separate their personal feelings from it being a "bad thing." It was a smart business move. Period the end. Sorry you got so upset and won't donate.
truethat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 10:17 AM   #103
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
No, you obviously don't.

Until you actually understand what other people are saying why not just refrain from dismissing their concerns out of hand?

I assure you it is very easy for me to simply delete or ignore any messages from the JREF. And that will happen sooner or later if they end up being too annoying for me otherwise. The result, however, is that I'll never be donating again simply because I will be very effective in not ever seeing any of the reminders.

I would assume that this is not what the JREF wants. Maybe I am wrong, though.
Others will donate. This stuff works. That's why charities do it.

Old 30th December 2011, 10:33 AM   #104
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

I don't get it either. I read it, I said no, I moved on.

I don't understand how people can get so indignant about a free service with no member obligations (other than forum rules).

Everyone asks for money. In my day-to-day life, this is by far one of the least obnoxious or intrusive organizations I've seen.
Old 30th December 2011, 10:45 AM   #105
gentlehorse
Master Poster

I can assure you that Randi has probably made a ton of money through donations because of this effort.
Wouldn't surprise me in the least--

Quote:
I suppose what I find annoying is the way people can't seem to separate their personal feelings from it being a "bad thing." It was a smart business move. Period the end. Sorry you got so upset and won't donate.
LOL! I understand that the JREF needs to raise money. The thing I don't like about the PM is its slimey wording and tone. It's so similar to that commonly seen in deceptive advertising these days (Think 100% PURE Gold clad coins and the like). Sure, it works, but somehow I expect better from the JREF. Alas, it seems that even here on the JREF forum, arguably the best skeptical forum going, image and integrity take a back seat to "the best-practices in the field of nonprofit" fundraising. I guess I just have to learn to love the slime!
gentlehorse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 10:46 AM   #106
roger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
Others will donate. This stuff works. That's why charities do it.
It does.

I think as a whole we are a group of people that are impossible to please. "My duties preclude me from chatting about skepticism" gets interpreted as "I don't care about you except as a revenue source". "I have a cold and am zonked out" becomes "you petty, insignificant creatures - leave me alone now and forever".

ETA: With that said, I don't see the problem with passing on feedback. Anything that smacks of "best practices" gets automatically discarded by me. The wordy/chatty email, the ps with an extra offer, reads like the stuff I get in the mail every day and discard without a second thought. I won't argue whether that sort of letter brings in more donations than other formats - it is not my field. All I can say is that after the last round of emails I unsubscribed, not out of pique, but because I wouldn't be responding anyway, so why receive the emails? That's certainly worth knowing, even if it turns out the current method is the best for JREF.

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. - John Muir

Last edited by roger; 30th December 2011 at 10:51 AM.
roger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 11:02 AM   #107
El Greco
Summer worshipper

Just got a PM about buying 2 Viagra for $99.90 and getting a free penis stretcher with the JREF logo on it. Anyone else got it ?

El Greco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 11:08 AM   #108
jiggeryqua
Illuminator

Originally Posted by El Greco View Post
Just got a PM about buying 2 Viagra for $99.90 and getting a free penis stretcher with the JREF logo on it. Anyone else got it ?
Targetted marketing?
jiggeryqua is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 11:09 AM   #109
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

No, but apparently Randi has a lot of money in Nigeria and needs my help to get it out.

Old 30th December 2011, 12:20 PM   #110
Dunstan
Illuminator

Maybe a couple of the complaints can be construed as objecting to any sort of fundraising outreach, but most of us are pointing out why we think the JREF's approach is decidedly suboptimal. It's annoying to have that feedback dismissed as emotional "whining."

I don't mind being hit up for money by a cause I've supported in the past. I don't mind getting the emails and PMs, and I can easily delete them.

And for all the talk about "best practices," other organizations do it better. The National Center for Science Education (an organization whose supporters probably overlap with the JREF's somewhat) contacts me about four times a year. Yes, it contains a request for donations, but that comes at the end of a report of what they've been doing and what they hope to do. I'm a little annoyed at the NCSE for their sucking up to religion, but I'm thinking of overlooking that and cutting them another check because they make their case well.

My alma maters hit me up for money all the time, and I don't object to them doing it (as long as it's not by phone!). But they make sure that's not the only time I hear from them and it's not the sole message when they do ask. They send out alumni publications, brag about specific accomplishments of their students and faculty, and talk about what capital projects they have in mind for the future.

I try to cut the JREF a little slack because it's a small organization, and one that seems to be trying to make the transition from an organization that provides a platform for Randi (which is worthy, but not sustainable long-term) to being an organization that is less dependent on Randi personally and more about carrying forward his work and (eventually) his legacy.

I think DJ is probably making some progress in that area, though it's hard to tell. I just remain baffled at the attitude that he seems to be perpetuating that the Forum is just some kindness that the JREF deigns to provide us all. I would think that most organizations would love to have an active web community of people at least broadly sympathetic to the organization's goals. If the Forum and the JREF have drifted apart over the years, that's not surprising considering that the JREF's main presence in the Forum over those years has been to step in and announce new, stricter rules because the Forum was embarrassing the JREF in some way. Even if all of those measures were necessary, it shouldn't have been the primary interaction between the two. I wish DJ was more interested in fixing that relationship rather than just shrugging and accepting it as an unchangeable fact.
Dunstan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 12:43 PM   #111
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I don't think we can come to a conclusion about how worthwhile these emails and PMs are for the foundation based on the number of complaints in these kinds of threads. Only the people with access to the donation figures can work that out.
Old 30th December 2011, 01:07 PM   #112
chran
Muse

No. But then again, I don't need it
chran is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 01:10 PM   #113
Geek Goddess
Hot enough to melt 4" rebar

Originally Posted by Ysidro View Post
Seriously? I think we established that "the forum" doesn't really care about the foundation. Only 635-ish people are members of the JREF, and I would suspect, from people I know personally who are members, many of them never come to the forum. There are nearly 3000 active forum participants, and 28,000 total members.

I get monthly paper letters from CSI's various branches, a monthly appeal from my local Dog Rescue club, quarterly notes from NCSE, monthly appeals from my college alma mater, Scouting organization, cancer societies, the Skeptic Society, the juvenile diabetes foundation, and many others. I donate to all of these, as I am able - some years more, some years less, but I don't get so ANGRY that they send me requests. How else are they supposed to raise money? I also get a lot of ads to sell me things, which bothers me more. You know, invitations to invest money I don't have, little pills to enlarge appendices I don't possess, and all the endless rescue attempts for Nigerian royal families.

Communication is key, and repetition is important even for those who wish to donate, especially towards the end of the year. It's really easy to ignore the ads, if you are not interested.

Jenny McCarthy - wacko
Geek Goddess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 01:15 PM   #114
JREF Staff
JREF Staff

Dunstan: Good points, which I'll address:

1. I am happy to say that our approach to fundraising, while maybe not preferable to a some forumites for reasons much discussed in this thread, has generated planned results. I'll refer you to my earlier post in this thread:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...7&postcount=37

Quote:
The JREF had for many years ran substantial deficits (some years surpassing hundreds of thousands of dollars in a given year) and when I came aboard as president, we reorganized in order to eliminate those deficits, even while expanding programs. Part of the reorganization included the need to raise money from new donors. In 2010, I am happy to say that we had a 42% increase in donations and memberships over 2009 and this year so far we have had around a 25% increase over 2010's donations and memberships, and a 39% increase in the number of donations and memberships this year over last year, which is a positive trend. The increase in support has allowed us to accomplish more to advance skepticism than ever before.
2. In our monthly email newsletter, as well as at the link at the banner at the top of the forum, and regular updates on randi.org (on which the forum is hosted) we regularly outline both specific accomplishments as well as what projects we plan for the future. We are proud of our work promoting skepticism in the media and at the grassroots and in the classroom, even as we plan for doing more in the future, knowing that the work is never done.

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/...37-static/1471

3. I do not believe the forum and the JREF have "drifted apart over the years." I believe the JREF is more supportive of the forum now in some ways than ever before: we promote it in our new printed brochures, tabling banners, in the TAM printed program, and with sponsor table space at TAM, for instance, in addition to paying the not inconsiderable hosting and administrative costs. Some members of the forum will not feel inclined to support the important work we do, and that is their prerogative. Others will become increasingly enthused at our good work and get more involved. In any event, we continue to provide this discussion forum as a way to further support and foster the online skeptics community and because it is a valuable online resources of skeptical information on our subjects of concern.

D.J.
JREF Staff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 01:22 PM   #115
Luciana
Skeptical Carioca

Originally Posted by Dunstan View Post
I think DJ is probably making some progress in that area, though it's hard to tell. I just remain baffled at the attitude that he seems to be perpetuating that the Forum is just some kindness that the JREF deigns to provide us all. I would think that most organizations would love to have an active web community of people at least broadly sympathetic to the organization's goals. If the Forum and the JREF have drifted apart over the years, that's not surprising considering that the JREF's main presence in the Forum over those years has been to step in and announce new, stricter rules because the Forum was embarrassing the JREF in some way. Even if all of those measures were necessary, it shouldn't have been the primary interaction between the two. I wish DJ was more interested in fixing that relationship rather than just shrugging and accepting it as an unchangeable fact.
Absolutely. It's fair that we should show them our appreciation (I have!); it wouldn't hurt us if they showed us some appreciation also. Or if at least, now and then, they showed they care. Small things, like a "I'm sorry" when someone passes away, the occasional "congrats"..., that is, any display that DJ, Randi and others in the organization - who are they? - care. This is, after all, a big community of skeptics!

As admins, Darat and Lisa participate a lot, and I admire the fact that they have not acquired a snobbish or blasé attitude towards the forum. But they're part of "us", the community, not part of "them", the JREF.
Old 30th December 2011, 01:34 PM   #116
Rrose Selavy
Stranded in Sub-Atomica

Yes I got two.
I'm in the UK anyway , with negative income, but what's this sudden urgency to be donate by the end of the year to double contributions? Is this a US tax thing? Isn't waiting til 2 days to go leaving it a bit late? Feels like one of those double glazing door to door salesmen "this offer is only valid for today" things -

I pretty much agree with with Dunstan has said. It 's partly also because of the often "detached" if not slightly hostile relationship the JREF has with the forum, Didn't Randi refer to members as "barking dogs" or similar a few years back? So the only mention he has made of the forum I recall is that which was a criticism - as an annoyance ?

And as mentioned debate on Swift comments are separated from the forum . Why have to register to comment on Swift articles - why not link to the forum directly?
It almost looks like Swift/JREF is embarrassed and distancing itself from it.
Until the members mailing list comes in useful.....

Last edited by Rrose Selavy; 30th December 2011 at 01:36 PM.
Rrose Selavy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 01:43 PM   #117
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

For me, being used to pretty much nothing from JREF, getting all these appeals on top of each other makes it feel as if the JREF sky is falling. But, it seems everything is OK, and this is merely a new fundraising approach. Once this becomes normal, well, it will be normal.

I think the suggestions made about styles and types of communication are worthwhile, and hope the powers that be incorporate the ideas into the process.

These are JREF's forums. I am rather shocked (yes, shocked!) that Mr. Grothe, the JREF President, has clearly indicated his complete lack of interest in the forums. To Mr. Grothe, these forums are unimportant. By extension, we are unimportant. Except when it comes to fundraising. This, I think, is the core of the angst being shown.

If Mr. Grothe and his staff had even a token presence on the forums, perhaps an investment of 15 minutes A WEEK making the odd comment or observation, it would go a long way to building a personal link to every member here. The forums would SEEM to matter. We, by extension, would seem to matter to the JREF.

Last edited by The Greater Fool; 30th December 2011 at 01:45 PM.
The Greater Fool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 01:53 PM   #118
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I too find the "too busy to post on the forum" Comment a bit hard to accept. There are plenty of busy people on the forum. I get the impression that it's viewed as a somewhat juvenile sideline by the JREF hierarchy.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 01:58 PM   #119
El Greco
Summer worshipper

Originally Posted by DJGrothe View Post
1. I am happy to say that our approach to fundraising, while maybe not preferable to a some forumites for reasons much discussed in this thread, has generated planned results.
Wow! Very impressive!

Excuse me now, I have to write some PMs.

Old 30th December 2011, 02:01 PM   #120
JREF Staff
JREF Staff

Greater fool, and lionking, Any of JREF's staffers are more than welcome to comment on the forum as they are interested, but considering their workload, I can't take them away from other duties to spend the amount of time on the forum that previous staffers may have. Brian Thompson, JREF outreach coordinator, posts here occasionally, I believe. As we have said many times, we appreciate the volunteer moderators' work in running the forum, but as a small nonprofit, we lack the resources to pay someone to do so. Online forums can be fun, and a great way to find people of like-mind. Indeed, this is one of the reasons JREF supports this forum. I myself lurk a lot on a couple of online forums on my off hours, including this one (a favorite is Neogaf).

Last edited by JREF Staff; 30th December 2011 at 02:02 PM. Reason: fixed typo
JREF Staff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF