IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th December 2011, 04:04 PM   #1
Molinaro
Illuminator

Why no Paypal option to donate to JREF?

I've checked many times over the years, and again today and CC is still the only option for donating to JREF.

Why not have a Paypal option?

I never have and never will own a CC. But I'd be happy to donate via Paypal if it was possible.
Old 29th December 2011, 04:12 PM   #2
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

I don't like handing out my CC details if I can help it. Too many sites are too easily hacked these days. I have twice gone to hand over some of my hard won dollars to JREF, and stopped when there was no Paypal option. IIRC, there used to be an option to use Paypal.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2011, 04:14 PM   #3
Marduk
Banned

I have paypal, if you send me the money I'll sure try my best to send it on
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2011, 05:04 PM   #4
Colloden
Graduate Poster

No corporate membership either.

"Everything, and I mean everything, about him creeps me out. I don't know why." -- wasapi
Colloden is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 12:51 AM   #5
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

deleted

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 03:10 AM   #6
Fine
Muse

Originally Posted by Molinaro View Post
I've checked many times over the years, and again today and CC is still the only option for donating to JREF.

Why not have a Paypal option?

I never have and never will own a CC. But I'd be happy to donate via Paypal if it was possible.

Molinaro,

I too tried to donate using Paypal. As an internet merchant, it's painful for me to witness this sort of stupidity.

Why not have a Paypal option? They don't have a Paypal option because Paypal demands a higher percent commission.

But using that line of reasoning why not revise the policy to accept only cash? Pay no commission at all!

If someone with a lick of sense, and the proper administrative authority, were to attach a Paypal Button contributions would surge and that button would never disappear. I guarantee it. (The procedure takes about 10 minutes.) I'd like to see this experiment performed.

///

Last edited by Fine; 30th December 2011 at 03:12 AM.
Fine is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 04:50 AM   #7
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

I remember an internet merchant I bought something from. Not exactly sure what it was - some piece of electronics, IIRC.

I picked PayPal as the payment option.

Then I got an email saying "No! Don't use PayPal! It's so expensive! Here's my bank details!"
Old 30th December 2011, 05:41 AM   #8
Fine
Muse

Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
I remember an internet merchant I bought something from. Not exactly sure what it was - some piece of electronics, IIRC.

I picked PayPal as the payment option.

Then I got an email saying "No! Don't use PayPal! It's so expensive! Here's my bank details!"

Exactly. That's the JREF "thinking" going on here. Who is to decide how the donor is to pay? JREF fails to realize is that making that decision for the donor---yes, twisting their arm---is totally counterproductive. If JREF were thinking straight the policy would be Pay Anyway You Prefer. It makes absolutely no sense to pay lower commission fees if that results---as it does--- in fewer donations.

I looked at the Paypal site. Their commission for nonprofit contributions is a whopping 2.2%. And I was mistaken. It doesn't take 10 minutes to attach the Paypal Button to the page soliciting contributions. It takes 15 minutes. See: HERE.

///
Fine is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 06:24 AM   #9
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

I'm inclined to agree. The number of people who will start donating should by far outweigh the commission fees from those who would otherwise pay, but now choose to use Paypal.
Old 30th December 2011, 06:30 AM   #10
CynicalSkeptic
Master Poster

I want to use Bitcoin.
CynicalSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2011, 06:43 AM   #11
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Who needs PayPal? Just pay by credit card.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF