IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Can the two statements 1. and 2. as set out in this post be true about one person?
Yes 10 26.32%
No 20 52.63%
Don't know 2 5.26%
On Planet X nothing is true. 6 15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st December 2022, 11:12 AM   #121
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GDon View Post
Dr Daniel Dennett, atheist and philosopher, has argued several times with Sam Harris and other atheists about the existence of free-will.

Dennett believes that we have free-will **because** of our genes, not in spite of them. He believes that there is evolutionary value in having a brain capable of free-will which is why we evolved that way. He describes it as being able to make decisions that 'avoid' the future. He believes free-will is a question of evolutionary biology rather than one of physics.

Here is a long Youtube video (1 hour 26 mins) where he lays out his view which is called "Dr. Daniel Dennett — Freedom Evolves: Free Will, Determinism, and Evolution"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg-9k1uAHCo

The description reads:

I recommend starting at about 21 mins, where Dennett discusses the "Life Physics" game in describing the evolution of free-will.

Is it possible for the human brain to have evolved to have a 'free-will engine'? If so, then there is no reason to call what we do as an illusion of free-will; it really is free-will.

I think you should watch that video again and more carefully and start from the beginning not from minute 21.

It is not saying what you think it is saying... in fact if anything it is a rebuttal of your argument so far.

In summary the video is saying that the illusion of free-will is a product of random indeterministic processes in the brain and outside the brain.

In other words the illusion of free-will is just that... an illusion.... stemming out of randomness in interactions with and within the environment.

But Dennett also adds that it is better for humanity to keep the illusion going as if it were real.... not that he thinks it is real... just that it is better not to dispel the illusion because it is useful for humanity.

And let me remind you of what I said many posts ago....

Originally Posted by Leumas View Post
Lack of free will does not entail predeterminism.

Things can be (and are) indeterministic... but that does not entail free will.

The balls' trajectories in the video below are indeterministic ... but yet the metal balls have no free will...

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Proverbs 26:11 As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.

Last edited by Leumas; 1st December 2022 at 11:19 AM.
Leumas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2022, 11:15 AM   #122
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Olmstead View Post
I'm not going to disprove free will. As I've said, no one can prove a negative.
You can, it's just often not easy. But I'm not asking you to prove a negative; I'm asking you to prove your assertive, that we are entirely pre-determined. Free will not existing flows independently from that.

Quote:
I'm asking you if this specific experiment counts as an example of the brain creating an illusion of free will in the patient. The patient was never going to stand up without the instruction. When they didn't know why they did it, they didn't say they don't know, they had a reasonable scenario ready.

So, if it can be proven that a certain patient thinks he did something for one reason, but clearly did it for another, does that count as the brain creating the illusion of free will in that specific context?
I don't think so, because the brain is crippled and not getting it's information. Kind of like asking why your car won't start when you have separated it from the primary electrical system. Of course it won't work.

{eta: of course the subjects didn't say that they didn't know; that would be a right hemisphere evaluation and the left was being isolated for the experiment. That was the whole ******* point, man.}

The left hemisphere was found to fill in the gaps when needed. Being cut off from all right hemisphere input, it had to fill in everything. Which it did, and with true statements, just not including what the right hemisphere had crucially received.

Quote:
I wonder if you have had time to get into it? Gazzaniga doesn't claim what you say he claims. In that very interview, his position can be summarised as "You must be responsible for your actions, because otherwise our society doesn't work":

He basically agrees that there is no free will, but doesn't like opening that Pandora's box.
Disagreed, although he is ambiguous enough to leave room for debate in that particular one. I see him summarized as "we have some predeterminates, but we can't rule out free will wholesale". His other talks tend to give this impression, too, to my ears.

Your conclusion here is that since the left hemisphere fills in gaps, and the right deals with truth, that when the left is isolated (and of course has to wing it), that it is indicative of a fully functioning brain not having agency? I do not intend to put words in your mouth. So do I have that right? If so, why do you value a basically catastrophically malfunctioning brain as representative of a healthy one?

Last edited by Thermal; 1st December 2022 at 11:27 AM. Reason: eta and typos
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2022, 12:51 PM   #123
Olmstead
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Your conclusion here is that since the left hemisphere fills in gaps, and the right deals with truth, that when the left is isolated (and of course has to wing it), that it is indicative of a fully functioning brain not having agency? I do not intend to put words in your mouth. So do I have that right? If so, why do you value a basically catastrophically malfunctioning brain as representative of a healthy one?
Apart from a few minor hiccups, those "catastrophically" malfunctioning brains often function just fine in daily life. They feel in control, and in most situations, the people they interact with would agree that they are in control. And yet, that same person stood up without knowing why. It's not just the left hemisphere filling in, it's that he couldn't consciously explain the actual reason why he did it at all.

Yes, it isn't perfect, but I value these experiments as an interesting data point. It isn't possible to expose the illusion in this way in a "normal" brain, and it points to a lack of control that goes even beyond the constraints of nature and nurture.
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2022, 02:10 PM   #124
GDon
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
No, once you start invoking the super natural, the rules of secular programming no longer apply. The presumption becomes that humans have free will because God gave them free will.
Well, once we bring in God, the game is over. God could create a naturalistic universe that encodes a free-will engine within the brain. So a supernatural origin for free-will, but no need for a supernatural component, i.e. God could create a brain with free-will.

I think evolution could result in the same thing. We evolved to have a "free-will" brain, because there are advantages in having a free-will brain. When we experience choices, decision-making, consciousness, etc, those aren't illusions of those things, they are the actual things themselves. But perhaps "free-will is not an illusion" is my own personal illusion.
GDon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2022, 02:32 PM   #125
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Olmstead View Post
Apart from a few minor hiccups, those "catastrophically" malfunctioning brains often function just fine in daily life. They feel in control, and in most situations, the people they interact with would agree that they are in control. And yet, that same person stood up without knowing why. It's not just the left hemisphere filling in, it's that he couldn't consciously explain the actual reason why he did it at all.
Because his brain was physically prevented from accessing the area that deals with TRUTH. That's a killer important piece, right there. Would you expect a reality-based answer from the part of the brain that occasionally plays fast and loose with with reality?

I get your point, in that the split brain experiments show that the brain can and will invent things to make stuff more comprehensible. You could easily extrapolate that into creating the illusion of free will. But it only happens when one hemisphere is isolated from the TRUTH. It could also follow that the TRUTH was that he had free will, but being cut off from it, his brain was FORCED to create an illusion that otherwise wouldn't have been needed to fill the gap.

Quote:
Yes, it isn't perfect, but I value these experiments as an interesting data point. It isn't possible to expose the illusion in this way in a "normal" brain, and it points to a lack of control that goes even beyond the constraints of nature and nurture.
I value them as well. But as strong evidence against free will, meh. Some pretty weak T.
Old 1st December 2022, 04:26 PM   #126
GDon
Graduate Poster

I think you should watch that video again and more carefully and start from the beginning not from minute 21.

It is not saying what you think it is saying... in fact if anything it is a rebuttal of your argument so far.

In summary the video is saying that the illusion of free-will is a product of random indeterministic processes in the brain and outside the brain.
You'd need to point me to where Dennett says this and actually quote him. I'll point to about 7 mins in, where Dennett says:

"I've decided that this passage [about magic] sort of is an emblem of my whole life as a philosopher. Because one of the problems that I've had over the years is, I write a book about consciousness and people say, well, that's not real consciousness.

And what they mean by that is because it's not magic enough. Because I'm explaining consciousness as something which isn't, in the end, magical. And the same I've learned is true of free will. People want freewill to be magical in the way that Dilbert [in the cartoon] suggested. They want it to to be some sort of exemption or a truncation of the laws of nature, and they think well if it's not that then it's not really free will. It's something "cheesy", something only physically possible, you know, not a miracle as it should be.

And this attitude of wanting everything wonderful like consciousness, like freewill, to be not just wonderful but supernatural, that wonderful is something that I've had to address and live with throughout my career. And in a way Freedom Evolves is my latest attempt to show people that free will can be quite wonderful enough and still be part of the natural universe.

And the way to understand this is not by looking at physics and particularly not looking at quantum physics, but looking at biology which is where the action is on this topic..."

Dennett then goes on to explain how biology might support free-will.

Last edited by GDon; 1st December 2022 at 04:33 PM.
GDon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2022, 05:04 PM   #127
junkshop
Graduate Poster

Breaking news!

Damaged brain doesn't work right!

Therefore predetermination! QED, &c.
Old 1st December 2022, 05:09 PM   #128
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I think evolution could result in the same thing. We evolved to have a "free-will" brain, because there are advantages in having a free-will brain.
Maybe you are conflating the ability to make decisions with having "free-will" because I fail to see how a brain could ever evolve into anything more than a computer in a deterministic universe.
Old 1st December 2022, 05:09 PM   #129
Leumas
Philosopher

You'd need to point me to where Dennett says this and actually quote him. I'll point to about 7 mins in, where Dennett says:

"I've decided that this passage [about magic] sort of is an emblem of my whole life as a philosopher. Because one of the problems that I've had over the years is, I write a book about consciousness and people say, well, that's not real consciousness.

And what they mean by that is because it's not magic enough. Because I'm explaining consciousness as something which isn't, in the end, magical. And the same I've learned is true of free will. People want freewill to be magical in the way that Dilbert [in the cartoon] suggested. They want it to to be some sort of exemption or a truncation of the laws of nature, and they think well if it's not that then it's not really free will. It's something "cheesy", something only physically possible, you know, not a miracle as it should be.

And this attitude of wanting everything wonderful like consciousness, like freewill, to be not just wonderful but supernatural, that wonderful is something that I've had to address and live with throughout my career. And in a way Freedom Evolves is my latest attempt to show people that free will can be quite wonderful enough and still be part of the natural universe.

And the way to understand this is not by looking at physics and particularly not looking at quantum physics, but looking at biology which is where the action is on this topic..."

Dennett then goes on to explain how biology might support free-will.

Yes... not the free-will you are talking about... and listen carefully to the parts you transcribed (and to the rest of the video)... they are in fact rebutting your assertions in the previous posts...
Proverbs 26:11 As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.

Last edited by Leumas; 1st December 2022 at 05:16 PM.
Leumas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2022, 05:11 PM   #130
Leumas
Philosopher

Maybe you are conflating the ability to make decisions with having "free-will" because I fail to see how a brain could ever evolve into anything more than a computer in a deterministic universe.

There are too many chaotic and indeterministic processes that are part of the universe thus rendering the universe indeterministic.

Brain responses to interaction with an indeterministic process is also indeterministic... hence the ILLUSION of free-will.

Last edited by Leumas; 1st December 2022 at 05:17 PM.
Old 1st December 2022, 05:56 PM   #131
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

There are too many chaotic and indeterministic processes that are part of the universe thus rendering the universe indeterministic.
Which processes are they?
Old 1st December 2022, 06:05 PM   #132
Leumas
Philosopher

Do you know how the sun works... do you know what solar flares are... do you know what fission is... fusion... quantum physics... weather... turbulent flow... lightning... Galaxies colliding... etc. etc. etc.

Last edited by Leumas; 1st December 2022 at 06:35 PM.
Old 1st December 2022, 06:23 PM   #133
junkshop
Graduate Poster

Do you know how the sun works... do you know what solar flares are... do you know what fission is... fusion... quantum physics... weather... turbulent flow... lightening... Galaxies colliding... etc. etc. etc.
That depends. Are we talking about weight, or tonal values?
Old 1st December 2022, 06:35 PM   #134
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by junkshop View Post
That depends. Are we talking about weight, or tonal values?

Thanks for the intense intellectual contributions you have done to this thread so far... well done!!!

As is the case every time this question comes up, we will fail to reach consensus. The concepts invoved are just too greasy. If we can't agree on what 'free will' and 'pre-determination' are, then we're ****** - and we can't, so we are (******, that is)....

Last edited by Leumas; 1st December 2022 at 06:38 PM.
Old 1st December 2022, 06:54 PM   #135
junkshop
Graduate Poster

Thanks for the intense intellectual contributions you have done to this thread so far... well done!!!
As is the case every time this question comes up, we will fail to reach consensus. The concepts invoved are just too greasy. If we can't agree on what 'free will' and 'pre-determination' are, then we're ****** - and we can't, so we are (******, that is)...
Thank you. It's very kind of you to say so, and good catch, colour me embarrassed!

NB: Pretty sure I spelled my swears right, though. The autocensor wouldn't have caught them otherwise.

ETA: I believe the conventional usage is that contributions are made to the thread, not done to it, but I may be mistaken.

Last edited by junkshop; 1st December 2022 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Pedantry
junkshop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2022, 07:05 PM   #136
Leumas
Philosopher

Let me ask you a question.... let's say Harry was born in a year when a swarm of locusts "free-willed" to swarm and devastate his country's vegetation... and Harry grew up malnourished and contracted further diseases from pestilence that resulted from too many dead carcasses strewn all over the country.

But he managed to persevere and survived despite coming out of it crippled and debilitated and thus could not get good jobs or marry a good woman and thus became a hobo mendicant.

Did he freely will all that chaotic circumstance he was born into? Didn't all that influence his available choices and his choosing ability and choosing reasoning???

Is when a swarm of grasshoppers going to become locusts and swarm as a plague of destruction, a predetermined thing??? If the weather was slightly cooler or it rained a little more or the wind was slightly off or the sun flared less or the moon did not get a meteorite strike or or or or or... Harry would have had an entirely different trajectory of his wretched life.

Do you think if we rewound the chaos that caused his misery, it is bound to occur all over again precisely the same given that solar flares are chaotic and so is the weather and so is the wind... not to mention the birth rate of birds who could have fed on the grasshoppers before they swarmed etc. etc.

From Here
Quote:
Locusts are a small handful of grasshopper species when they enter a swarming phase. When a series of factors which can vary by geographic area, weather and species force grasshoppers to crowd each other, their serotonin levels rise, and they begin to swarm. ... Locusts brushing against each other is often a trigger. But what causes crowding? Usually weather. In the 1990s, droughts and low humidity in Indonesia spurred a locust breeding frenzy. But in China and Central Asia, a period of flooding that leads into a dry period can create the right conditions for locusts to mate. Other outbreaks, like in Australia, might be triggered when the rain falls during locust breeding.
... And we are only making the problem worse. Deforestation, invasive species and overgrazing on fragile grasslands are helping locust populations. Climate change will likely make conditions even more favorable for swarms.
Old 1st December 2022, 07:33 PM   #137
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Do you know how the sun works... do you know what solar flares are... do you know what fission is... fusion... quantum physics... weather... turbulent flow... lightning... Galaxies colliding... etc. etc. etc.
Why do you call these processes "random"?

Let me ask you a question.... let's say Harry was born in a year when a swarm of locusts "free-willed" to swarm and devastate his country's vegetation... and Harry grew up malnourished and contracted further diseases from pestilence that resulted from too many dead carcasses strewn all over the country.

But he managed to persevere and survived despite coming out of it crippled and debilitated and thus could not get good jobs or marry a good woman and thus became a hobo mendicant.

Did he freely will all that chaotic circumstance he was born into? Didn't all that influence his available choices and his choosing ability and choosing reasoning???

Is when a swarm of grasshoppers going to become locusts and swarm as a plague of destruction, a predetermined thing??? If the weather was slightly cooler or it rained a little more or the wind was slightly off or the sun flared less or the moon did not get a meteorite strike or or or or or... Harry would have had an entirely different trajectory of his wretched life.

Do you think if we rewound the chaos that caused his misery, it is bound to occur all over again precisely the same given that solar flares are chaotic and so is the weather and so is the wind... not to mention the birth rate of birds who could have fed on the grasshoppers before they swarmed etc. etc.

From Here
You are so not describing "free will".

Under identical circumstances, the "chaos" would happen again in exactly the same way. And natural events don't do anything by "free will".

Last edited by psionl0; 1st December 2022 at 07:35 PM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2022, 07:44 PM   #138
GDon
Graduate Poster

Yes... not the free-will you are talking about...
What free-will am I talking about? And please actually quote Dennett, because frankly I don't trust your 'summary' of his view.
Old 1st December 2022, 07:46 PM   #139
Leumas
Philosopher

What free-will am I talking about? And please actually quote Dennett, because frankly I don't trust your 'summary' of his view.
Watch the video... and read the bits you transcribed carefully.
Old 1st December 2022, 08:02 PM   #140
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

From Here
Imma go out on a locust-gnawed limb here and assert that no one, anywhere, thinks that free will means having control over all their environmental variables.
Old 1st December 2022, 08:03 PM   #141
Leumas
Philosopher

Brain responses to interaction with an indeterministic process is also indeterministic... hence the ILLUSION of free-will.
Why do you call these processes "random"?

Show me where I said "random" and you quoted it as if I said it... I called them chaotic and indeterministic ...

Also you would know why if you studied them and the principles behind them.

You are so not describing "free will".

Yes... I was describing REALITY... not illusions.

Under identical circumstances, the "chaos" would happen again in exactly the same way.

No they will not... you would know if you studied the field of studies involved... e.g. chaos.

And natural events don't do anything by "free will".

EXACTLY... well said!!!

Last edited by Leumas; 1st December 2022 at 08:17 PM.
Old 1st December 2022, 08:06 PM   #142
GDon
Graduate Poster

Here is the definition of free-will on Wiki:

"Free will is the capacity of agents to choose between different possible courses of action unimpeded."

Does the brain have the capacity to choose between different courses of action? I'd say it does.

Can there be different 'possible' courses of action in a deterministic world? Dennett would say 'yes', that even in a deterministic universe, the future is 'evitable', that is, the brain has evolved so as to foresee possible future events in order to avoid them.

Is the brain 'unimpeded' in choosing between different courses of action? No doubt the brain is flooded with options and impulses based on genetics, environment, hormones and habits. But as long as there are two possible choices to choose upon, the decision is a reflection of free-will.

The argument is usually made that the decision-making process itself is deterministic, that synapses fire one after the other in an unbroken line of cause and effect. But so what? That's still decision-making. As long as the decision is made unimpeded (and I don't count the unbroken line of cause and effect an impediment, because how else is the brain supposed to function?) then we have free-will. Not the illusion! But actual free-will.
Old 1st December 2022, 08:08 PM   #143
Leumas
Philosopher

Imma go out on a locust-gnawed limb here and assert that no one, anywhere, thinks that free will means having control over all their environmental variables.

The reply to your statement has already been given to you many times over and in this post that you refused to and still won't read.
Old 1st December 2022, 08:15 PM   #144
Leumas
Philosopher

Free-will is the ability to make a decision based on two or more options, unconstrained by outside forces.....
Old 1st December 2022, 08:17 PM   #145
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

The reply to your statement has already been given to you many times over and in this post that you refused to and still won't read.
My apologies. I often forget that you consider your postings both brilliant and unimpeachable. I sometimes confuse them with being [content preemptively moderated] with a chainsaw.
Old 1st December 2022, 08:19 PM   #146
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Show me where I said "random" and you quoted it as if I said it... I called them chaotic and indeterministic ...
There is a difference?
Old 1st December 2022, 08:21 PM   #147
Leumas
Philosopher

There is a difference?
You used quotation marks.

And you would know the difference if you studied the fields of knowledge involved.
Old 1st December 2022, 08:22 PM   #148
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Here is the definition of free-will on Wiki:

"Free will is the capacity of agents to choose between different possible courses of action unimpeded."
Leumas, you are so close to the penny drop by quoting those two together. Just edge a little more...
Old 1st December 2022, 08:26 PM   #149
Leumas
Philosopher

Leumas, you are so close to the penny drop by quoting those two together. Just edge a little more...

I am glad you are close to finally understanding it... just read this post and you will eventually get it in full.... maybe... hopefully!!!

Last edited by Leumas; 1st December 2022 at 08:27 PM.
Old 1st December 2022, 08:38 PM   #150
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I am glad you are close to finally understanding it... just read this post and you will eventually get it in full.... maybe... hopefully!!!
Jesus Christ, are you going to start reposting and linking the same thing over and over again? Have we not been through this on multiple other threads?

I read it. Please understand that reposting or linking or repeating it is therefore stupid.

I found it lacking. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to defend or elaborate on the inspired wisdom you have graced we peons with.

Actually, let's try that as approach to reach you: "Leumas the Wise, my little brain cannot grasp your most cherished gift that you have handed down to we nitwits. Can you clarify your genius for us?"
Old 1st December 2022, 09:29 PM   #151
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

You used quotation marks.

And you would know the difference if you studied the fields of knowledge involved.
You obviously haven't studied the fields of knowledge involved. You are just making stuff up.
Old 1st December 2022, 09:50 PM   #152
Leumas
Philosopher

You obviously haven't studied the fields of knowledge involved. You are just making stuff up.

mKay... if you say so!!!

But you finally got it

EXACTLY... well said!!!

Last edited by Leumas; 1st December 2022 at 09:53 PM.
Old 1st December 2022, 09:51 PM   #153
Leumas
Philosopher

Jesus Christ, are you going to start reposting and linking the same thing over and over again? Have we not been through this on multiple other threads?

I read it. Please understand that reposting or linking or repeating it is therefore stupid.

I found it lacking. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to defend or elaborate on the inspired wisdom you have graced we peons with.

Actually, let's try that as approach to reach you: "Leumas the Wise, my little brain cannot grasp your most cherished gift that you have handed down to we nitwits. Can you clarify your genius for us?"

Nope!!!

But the guy below explained it perfectly in one sentence.... read it!

Last edited by Leumas; 1st December 2022 at 09:58 PM.
Old 1st December 2022, 09:57 PM   #154
Leumas
Philosopher

Here is the definition of free-will on Wiki:...

No need.... this guy has explained it perfectly in one sentence... I suggest you read it ... it is words of wisdom... a beauty to behold... I wish I said it first!!!

Old 1st December 2022, 10:01 PM   #155
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Nope!!!

But the guy below explained it perfectly in one sentence.... read it!
Right. External events like humidity conditions and locust breeding are unrelated to the experience of a human having free will. And?
Old 1st December 2022, 10:09 PM   #156
Leumas
Philosopher

Right. External events like humidity conditions and locust breeding are unrelated to the experience of a human having free will. And?

Do I really have to explain this to you.... it is one succinct sentence that explains it PERFECTLY.... I am so jealous I never thought of it myself... what genius...

Ponder over it for a while... I am sure you might hopefully eventually get it.

Hint: What do you think humans are... are they natural events or not???

Last edited by Leumas; 1st December 2022 at 10:10 PM.
Old 1st December 2022, 10:26 PM   #157
GDon
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by GDon
Watch the video... and read the bits you transcribed carefully.
Invoking Hitchen's Razor: I just watched the video, and Dennett completely validates my points! Apparently Dennett says in the video: "GDon is completely correct!" Gosh!
Old 1st December 2022, 10:35 PM   #158
Leumas
Philosopher

Invoking Hitchen's Razor: I just watched the video, and Dennett completely validates my points! Apparently Dennett says in the video: "GDon is completely correct!" Gosh!

No he does not...

However... it is all moot now.... why are you even still going on.... read the below... it explains it all perfectly... you do not need to carry on... just read the below most astoundingly sagacious statement... it rives to dust your or what you think anyone else's explanations is... read it and think over it ... you will see... I am sure of it.

QED!!!

But... if you cannot grasp the wisdom and genius of the above ... think about it but here is a hint...

Old 1st December 2022, 11:06 PM   #159
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

QED!!!

But... if you cannot grasp the wisdom and genius of the above ... think about it but here is a hint...

Yes Leumas. I got it. I got it the first time. EVERYBODY GOT IT THE FIRST TIME. Some of us maybe smirked a little. If you like, we will all give you some brief polite applause for your clever little zinger.

But here's the thing: run down to the local drugstore and find the smartest looking guy you see. Ask of him: "I made a clever little zinger! Should I move on, or repeat it 75 times across multiple threads?"

He will likely answer "just let it go, and be remembered for the clever little zinger. If you repeat it 75 times across multiple threads, you look like a doofus".

Words of wisdom, Leumas. Words of wisdom.
Old 1st December 2022, 11:17 PM   #160
Leumas
Philosopher

Words of wisdom, Leumas. Words of wisdom.

Nope... they are not .... the furthest thing from it...

The Art of Repetition, The Secret of Success
Quote:
Repetition is a safety net that humans use everyday.

Writers rely on repetition in stories to hook the reader in.... It’s a powerful device used in fiction writing.... In best seller writing, fast reading that requires less attention and mental heavy work, a trope does the trick for writer and reader to connect to each other through repetitions of ideas....

Psychology and Writers
In psychology it’s well known that the human brain uses repetition to feel secure about daily life. To avoid leaving the rails of a daily routine, repetition saves us from becoming dumbfounded by strangeness.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy