ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , Elizabeth Warren , presidential candidates , racial categorization

View Poll Results: If Elected, Would Warren Be the First Native American President?
Yes 3 6.67%
No 31 68.89%
On Planet X, Master Blaster runs Bartertown 11 24.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th February 2019, 09:16 AM   #1
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If Elected, Would Warren Be the First Native American President?

The twist is that Planet X is post-apocalyptic Earth.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 12:03 PM   #2
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

According to Donny, she would be the first Disney Princess elected president.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 12:38 PM   #3
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

To the Orignal Poster:
'
Way too obvious dude.way too obvious.
I

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 12:39 PM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
To the Orignal Poster:
'
Way too obvious dude.way too obvious.
I
Sometimes it's fun to ask a simple question, if only to see how complicated some people try to make their answer.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 12:41 PM   #5
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

No.

/thread
Old 7th February 2019, 12:44 PM   #6
Distracted1
Master Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Sometimes it's fun to ask a simple question, if only to see how complicated some people try to make their answer.
There's a term for that, isn't there?
Gargoyling....
No, that's not it.

Orcing......
Not that either.

Gremlining....
Closer, but still not quite.
Old 7th February 2019, 12:55 PM   #7
Jungle Jim
Graduate Poster

This is not one of those times.
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 12:57 PM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
This is not one of those times.
If you're not having fun, you don't have to respond.
Old 7th February 2019, 01:02 PM   #9
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

You know what? Master Blaster is running Bartertown. People thought auntie Entity was a bit too standoffish and shady.

Also: no. Not even in a Rachel Dolezal kind of way.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 06:56 PM   #10
Venom
Master Poster

No.

I don't believe in claiming some tiny portion of your ancestry as your ethnic identity.

Also Obama isn't the first black president. He's (maybe) the first mixed black (Kenyan) and white American president.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 07:22 PM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
No.

I don't believe in claiming some tiny portion of your ancestry as your ethnic identity.

Also Obama isn't the first black president. He's (maybe) the first mixed black (Kenyan) and white American president.
I keep thinking this joke will get old for me, but it just doesn't:

Billy Clinton was the first black president. Barack Obama was the first woman president. Hillary Clinton would have been the first gay president. Elizabeth Warren will be the first Native American president.

And Donald Trump, of course, is the first human president.
Old 7th February 2019, 07:49 PM   #12
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I keep thinking this joke will get old for me, but it just doesn't:

Billy Clinton was the first black president. Barack Obama was the first woman president. Hillary Clinton would have been the first gay president. Elizabeth Warren will be the first Native American president.

And Donald Trump, of course, is the first human president.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 08:02 PM   #13
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I wouldn't expect an Australian to understand a joke premised on a uniquely American situation, but this might help:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1...5/comment-6543
Old 7th February 2019, 08:19 PM   #14
eeyore1954
Philosopher

I suspect others have had as much Indian blood.

We have had a president with an adopted Indian child.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 08:21 PM   #15
Venom
Master Poster

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
I suspect others have had as much Indian blood.

We have had a president with an adopted Indian child.
I cringe when I see that.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 08:30 PM   #16
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

No.

Am I not the product of all of my ancestors?

The times they are a changin'------ but they change slowly.
Old 7th February 2019, 08:44 PM   #17
Venom
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Am I not the product of all of my ancestors?
Sure, but I know people invariably get pigeonholed into one of a few select "racial groups" when push comes to shove.

It just makes me wince.
Old 8th February 2019, 11:14 PM   #18
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

One-drop rule
Quote:
The one-drop rule is a social and legal principle of racial classification that was historically prominent in the United States in the 20th century. It asserted that any person with even one ancestor of sub-Saharan African ancestry ("one drop" of black blood) is considered black (Negro in historical terms).

This concept became codified into the law of some states in the early 20th century.
You may not 'believe' in it, but for part of US history it was a fact. And not by choice for those being labeled.

Quote:
Obama was born in Hawaii and is a US citizen. His father was a black Kenyan - and Kenya is in Africa, so...

African Americans Law and Legal Definition
Quote:
African Americans are citizens or residents of the United States who have origins in any of the black populations of Africa. In the United States, the terms are generally used for Americans with at least partial Sub-Saharan African ancestry.
Old 8th February 2019, 11:30 PM   #19
Venom
Master Poster

^^the reason I don't like it when legal definitions are used to draw hard lines.

I think it stymies this sort of discussion.

Regarding the one-drop rule, I used to be a member of this majority African American Facebook group, and occasionally you would see Pan-Africanist Afrocentrists of various types, particularly the so-called hoteps, claiming damn near everyone with ostensibly black ancestry.

"He can say the n-word he's Dominican", even though he's light-skinned, even though nobody would ever mistake him for a black man, even though his ancestors were not subject to American racism, even though they never really assessed "how much" of West Africa he had in him, if any at all.
Old 10th February 2019, 01:22 PM   #20
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

^^the reason I don't like it when legal definitions are used to draw hard lines.

I think it stymies this sort of discussion.
Yep - there's nothing like citing a hard fact to stymie 'this sort of discussion'.

You claimed that Obama wasn't black. Let alone that a cursory glance would prove otherwise, he is African-American by both legal definition and popular usage. Your claim is based on a peculiar reasoning that is generally only employed by those who wish to deny the facts. The question is why do it?

I can think of two likely explanations,

1. Racism. "Obama isn't really black, so he can't speak for blacks. Their leader is a fraud. He's almost as white as we are!"

2. Partisanship. "Obama is a Democrat, therefore we must take every opportunity to denigrate him - no matter how ridiculous!"

And the base will lap it up because facts don't matter, and any ammunition is welcomed. After all, "Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!"
Old 10th February 2019, 02:05 PM   #21
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Me too. Their factual name is First Immigrants.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 02:34 PM   #22
eeyore1954
Philosopher

I guess it is a generational thing. When I posted that it wasn’t with malice. Every Native American acquaintance I had referred to themselves as Indian although they usually would also refer to their tribe.
I looked up and found the same thing the younger generations usually don’t use the term “Indians”, one did mention first immigrants.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 03:30 PM   #23
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I wouldn't expect an Australian to understand a joke premised on a uniquely American situation, but this might help:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1...5/comment-6543
Yes, I certainly understood your "joke". It got the response we Australians give such "jokes".

Try harder.
Old 10th February 2019, 03:41 PM   #24
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

What next Prestige,? Some knee slappeers about Sand Creek and Wounded Knee?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 03:46 PM   #25
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
What next Prestige,? Some knee slappeers about Sand Creek and Wounded Knee?
I wouldn't dream of putting a laughing matter like Elizabeth Warren's ancestry on par with a real tragedy and a black mark on America's history like Wounded Knee. What prompted you to make such a connection?
Old 10th February 2019, 05:28 PM   #26
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

I wouldn't dream of putting a laughing matter like Elizabeth Warren's ancestry on par with a real tragedy and a black mark on America's history like Wounded Knee. What prompted you to make such a connection?
Trump tweet (last month): "If Elizabeth Warren, often referred to by me as Pocahontas, did this commercial from Bighorn or Wounded Knee instead of her kitchen, with her husband dressed in full Indian garb, it would have been a smash!"
Old 10th February 2019, 05:49 PM   #27
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I can't believe anyone is still discussing Warren's ancestry.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 07:11 PM   #28
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Wow. It's like you don't get to see ANY of Donny's tweets in the last few days.
Old 10th February 2019, 07:43 PM   #29
Belz...
Fiend God

Well, we've got to distract from policy somehow.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 07:47 PM   #30
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Wow. It's like you don't get to see ANY of Donny's tweets in the last few days.
I try not to.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 08:55 PM   #31
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I try not to [read any of Donny's tweets].
Then...

a) They are germane to the thread, and
b) Probably a good idea these days.
Old 11th February 2019, 12:30 AM   #32
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I don't have to read Donny's latest tweets re Warren to know what his game is. That's been evident for a long, long time.
Old 11th February 2019, 09:33 AM   #33
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

No.

Of course this means that all those African Americans are wrong about being black due to the % white they are from masters raping their slaves.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 01:35 PM   #34
Venom
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Of course this means that all those African Americans are wrong about being black due to the % white they are from masters raping their slaves.
I don't think it's a fair comparison.

Obama is straight up mulatto, if we wanna use that word. I just think it's funny how people seem to want to only recognize his black side. Any deeper conversation about ethnic makeup ends after you place the subject in one checkbox.
Old 11th February 2019, 02:09 PM   #35
Drewbot
Philosopher

By her criteria, i'll bet Obama wasn't the first African American President.

And I don't mean Bill's honorary title.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 02:20 PM   #36
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Obama is straight up mulatto, if we wanna use that word. I just think it's funny how people seem to want to only recognize his black side. Any deeper conversation about ethnic makeup ends after you place the subject in one checkbox.
And when he walks in anywhere what do people see? A black man. He is not any less black than if say a black child was adopted by white parents, that wouldn't make said child not black now would it?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 10:02 PM   #37
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

If we treated people with varying levels of melanin differently, you might have a point. Black is black if you're brown enough, no matter how many paleface parents you have. We are not far off from a set of pale children (with black eyes) being abruptly relegated to Black status by their mother confessing that one of her parents was actually black. Suddenly they couldn't use the pool anymore and their friends wouldn't talk to them.
Old 11th February 2019, 10:53 PM   #38
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Here's a shaded box from white to dark brown. Please mark on it exactly once where you think "dark" skin is dark enough to make someone "black" and above which they are "white".

Old 11th February 2019, 10:57 PM   #39
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Here's a shaded box from white to dark brown. Please mark on it exactly once where you think "dark" skin is dark enough to make someone "black" and above which they are "white".

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...25efcc00c2.gif
Show us how it's done. What do you think the shade is, for a person of color to be Prime Minister of Australia?
Old 11th February 2019, 11:10 PM   #40
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Show us how it's done. What do you think the shade is, for a person of color to be Prime Minister of Australia?
There's no "right" answer to guess here.

I asked posters who are debating who is "black" and who is "white" to identify where they thought the dividing line between them was. So there's a graded bar - pick the dividing point.

Are you interested in making any attempt?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics