ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th February 2019, 07:57 AM   #1
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

New York Times Opinion Editor Bari Weiss Hates Tulsi Gabbard, But Can’t Remember Why

http://www.antiwar.com/blog/2019/02/...-remember-why/

NY Times columnist Bari Weiss smeared Tulsi Gabbard as an "Assad toady," then couldn't spell/define toady or offer any evidence to prove her smear.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 10th February 2019, 08:03 AM   #2
d4m10n
Illuminator

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...32c_story.html
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 08:05 AM   #3
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

It isn't a secret she met with Assad and that it served Assad's interests to meet with a congressperson
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 08:06 AM   #4
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Pawall for me can you quote any of it? I saw the headline... ouch
Old 10th February 2019, 08:07 AM   #5
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
It isn't a secret she met with Assad and that it served Assad's interests to meet with a congressperson
While condemning u.s. backed troops as terrorists...yes

fair and balanced
Old 10th February 2019, 08:16 AM   #6
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Pawall for me can you quote any of it? I saw the headline... ouch
Here you go...

Quote:
Gabbard, in a press release, called Bassam Khawam and his brother, Elie, who also joined the trip, “longtime peace advocates.” Her office told me she had “no prior knowledge or relationship” with the pair and directed all inquiries to the organization or Kucinich. Messages left for Khawam and Kucinich were not retuned.

The actual source of the funding for the trip is murky, too. But there’s no doubt the Assad regime facilitated it. Not only did the group get an audience with the president, but they also received access to sensitive areas under the protection of government forces. In several arranged meetings, Syrians told Gabbard that Assad is a benevolent ruler fighting terrorists and that the U.S. policy of opposing him is unjust.

Upon her return, Gabbard referenced those Syrians in interviews and op-eds to reinforce her long-held opposition to what she calls the U.S. “regime change” policy in Syria. She also asserted there are no moderate rebels in Syria and that the United States is funding and arming al-Qaeda and the Islamic State. Neither is true, but both match the talking points that the Assad regime has been pushing for the entirety of the war.

Last edited by d4m10n; 10th February 2019 at 08:17 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 08:21 AM   #7
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

fair and balanced
Some of them are
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 09:46 AM   #8
magellan
Muse

fair and balanced
"US funded" doesn't make the terrorists look better, it makes the US look worse (If that is possible)
magellan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 10:11 AM   #9
Belz...
Fiend God

Pawall for me can you quote any of it?
Here's a part of it:

Quote:
We’re glad you’re enjoying
The Washington Post
Well, I'm not enjoying it, you idiots; there's a paywall that's preventing me from doing that!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 01:08 PM   #10
Venom
Graduate Poster

Anything with Jimmy Dore I dislike on sight.

Gabbard's suspicion about the 2017 chemical attack is defensible, if a little naive.
The "official report" if you like about the 2013 incident didn't conclusively pin the attack on anyone, but of course we tend to strongly lean towards the Syrian govt as the perpetrators for that one.

But of course Jimmy Dore will put his usual crackpot spin on everything. Assad is innocent, these people said Iraq had WMDs (which they probably did), Russia Today can be trusted, blah blah..
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 02:10 PM   #11
carlitos
"más divertido"

I followed links and googled Weiss and looked at her NYT byline, and I have no idea what the title of this thread refers to. Where did she "smear" Gabbard? All I see is a blog post last week at antiwar.com. From what I know of Weiss, she wouldn't be writing there.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 05:02 PM   #12
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Anything with Jimmy Dore I dislike on sight.
This is a trifecta of terrible Bari Weiss & Joe Rogan discussing politics and Jimmy Dore giving his opinion on that.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 09:16 AM   #13
Donal
Illuminator

so, root for the meteor? Isn't Bari Weiss the one that wrote that bit about the "Intellectuals of the Dark Web"?
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics