ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th February 2019, 07:57 AM   #1
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

New York Times Opinion Editor Bari Weiss Hates Tulsi Gabbard, But Can’t Remember Why

http://www.antiwar.com/blog/2019/02/...-remember-why/

NY Times columnist Bari Weiss smeared Tulsi Gabbard as an "Assad toady," then couldn't spell/define toady or offer any evidence to prove her smear.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 10th February 2019, 08:03 AM   #2
d4m10n
Illuminator

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...32c_story.html
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 08:05 AM   #3
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

It isn't a secret she met with Assad and that it served Assad's interests to meet with a congressperson
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 08:06 AM   #4
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Pawall for me can you quote any of it? I saw the headline... ouch
Old 10th February 2019, 08:07 AM   #5
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
It isn't a secret she met with Assad and that it served Assad's interests to meet with a congressperson
While condemning u.s. backed troops as terrorists...yes

fair and balanced
Old 10th February 2019, 08:16 AM   #6
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Pawall for me can you quote any of it? I saw the headline... ouch
Here you go...

Quote:
Gabbard, in a press release, called Bassam Khawam and his brother, Elie, who also joined the trip, “longtime peace advocates.” Her office told me she had “no prior knowledge or relationship” with the pair and directed all inquiries to the organization or Kucinich. Messages left for Khawam and Kucinich were not retuned.

The actual source of the funding for the trip is murky, too. But there’s no doubt the Assad regime facilitated it. Not only did the group get an audience with the president, but they also received access to sensitive areas under the protection of government forces. In several arranged meetings, Syrians told Gabbard that Assad is a benevolent ruler fighting terrorists and that the U.S. policy of opposing him is unjust.

Upon her return, Gabbard referenced those Syrians in interviews and op-eds to reinforce her long-held opposition to what she calls the U.S. “regime change” policy in Syria. She also asserted there are no moderate rebels in Syria and that the United States is funding and arming al-Qaeda and the Islamic State. Neither is true, but both match the talking points that the Assad regime has been pushing for the entirety of the war.

Last edited by d4m10n; 10th February 2019 at 08:17 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 08:21 AM   #7
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

fair and balanced
Some of them are
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 09:46 AM   #8
magellan
Muse

fair and balanced
"US funded" doesn't make the terrorists look better, it makes the US look worse (If that is possible)
magellan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 10:11 AM   #9
Belz...
Fiend God

Pawall for me can you quote any of it?
Here's a part of it:

Quote:
We’re glad you’re enjoying
The Washington Post
Well, I'm not enjoying it, you idiots; there's a paywall that's preventing me from doing that!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 01:08 PM   #10
Venom
Master Poster

Anything with Jimmy Dore I dislike on sight.

Gabbard's suspicion about the 2017 chemical attack is defensible, if a little naive.
The "official report" if you like about the 2013 incident didn't conclusively pin the attack on anyone, but of course we tend to strongly lean towards the Syrian govt as the perpetrators for that one.

But of course Jimmy Dore will put his usual crackpot spin on everything. Assad is innocent, these people said Iraq had WMDs (which they probably did), Russia Today can be trusted, blah blah..
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 02:10 PM   #11
carlitos
"más divertido"

I followed links and googled Weiss and looked at her NYT byline, and I have no idea what the title of this thread refers to. Where did she "smear" Gabbard? All I see is a blog post last week at antiwar.com. From what I know of Weiss, she wouldn't be writing there.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 05:02 PM   #12
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
This is a trifecta of terrible Bari Weiss & Joe Rogan discussing politics and Jimmy Dore giving his opinion on that.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 09:16 AM   #13
Donal
Illuminator

so, root for the meteor? Isn't Bari Weiss the one that wrote that bit about the "Intellectuals of the Dark Web"?
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 04:22 PM   #14
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Gabbard's suspicion about the 2017 chemical attack is defensible, if a little naive.
The "official report" if you like about the 2013 incident didn't conclusively pin the attack on anyone, but of course we tend to strongly lean towards the Syrian govt as the perpetrators for that one.

But of course Jimmy Dore will put his usual crackpot spin on everything. Assad is innocent, these people said Iraq had WMDs (which they probably did), Russia Today can be trusted, blah blah..
No wonder most progressives have excommunicated Jimmy Dore.
Dore jumped the shark when he was so bitter over Hilary's win over Bernie Sanders that he actually helped Trump by keeping up his attacks on Hilary up until election day.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 04:32 PM   #15
Venom
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
No wonder most progressives have excommunicated Jimmy Dore.
Dore jumped the shark when he was so bitter over Hilary's win over Bernie Sanders that he actually helped Trump by keeping up his attacks on Hilary up until election day.
I was already on my toes when back in 2012 or so he talked about the WTC7 collapse possibly being a demolition, so I knew what pool he drank from.

But yes it was his almost fanatical behavior in the 2016 race that convinced me to put the guy on ignore.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:38 AM   #16
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

It's funny how some attack the messenger
Old 22nd February 2019, 07:04 AM   #17
Donal
Illuminator

I was already on my toes when back in 2012 or so he talked about the WTC7 collapse possibly being a demolition, so I knew what pool he drank from.

But yes it was his almost fanatical behavior in the 2016 race that convinced me to put the guy on ignore.
Jimmy Dore proves the horseshoe theory of politics.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 08:19 AM   #18
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

It's funny how some attack the messenger
Which messenger?

I enjoy(?) when someone posts an 18 min youtube, accompanied by opaque commentary, and somehow thinks this is actually communicating something or another. I find myself deeply inspired to invest 18 minutes of my life.

Stick with the emojis.
Old 22nd February 2019, 04:02 PM   #19
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
so, root for the meteor? Isn't Bari Weiss the one that wrote that bit about the "Intellectuals of the Dark Web"?

The actual piece was titled "meet the renegades of the intellectual dark web." The piece wasn't suggesting that there were intellectuals on the literal, actual dark web. It was more of a metaphor for how they were bypassing the traditional media gatekeepers.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:18 PM   #20
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Some of them are
For certain values of "terrorist".

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:22 PM   #21
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by magellan View Post
"US funded" doesn't make the terrorists look better, it makes the US look worse (If that is possible)
The label "freedom-fighter" makes them sound better.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:24 PM   #22
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Did not know that Dore is a truther, but does not surprise me in the least.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:26 PM   #23
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Which messenger?

I enjoy(?) when someone posts an 18 min youtube, accompanied by opaque commentary, and somehow thinks this is actually communicating something or another. I find myself deeply inspired to invest 18 minutes of my life.

Stick with the emojis.
Life is to short to pay attention to trolls,once you find out they are trolls.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:40 PM   #24
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
The actual piece was titled "meet the renegades of the intellectual dark web." The piece wasn't suggesting that there were intellectuals on the literal, actual dark web. It was more of a metaphor for how they were bypassing the traditional media gatekeepers.
I'm not clear on what these renegades are reneging on. Are they renegades as seen from within the dark web, or renegades as seen by the normal world, but orthodox in that other (possibly mythical) world?

I've no intention of digging deeper than what's on this thread, but I'm thinking they're just self-regarding dickheads of no account whatsoever.

Old 22nd February 2019, 05:47 PM   #25
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Life is to short to pay attention to trolls,once you find out they are trolls.
They can be worth a superficial scan for comedy potential, but no more energy than that.

Old 22nd February 2019, 07:30 PM   #26
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Anybody else see Tulsi on Henry Louis Gates show "Finding your roots"?

Superficially impressive, but my take away over all is that the woman has planned a political career from the get-go. At least as much as the Clintons did. Only better, she has fast-tracked herself into potential for President. I have to wonder who her "handler" is.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 07:38 PM   #27
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Anybody else see Tulsi on Henry Louis Gates show "Finding your roots"?

Superficially impressive, but my take away over all is that the woman has planned a political career from the get-go. At least as much as the Clintons did. Only better, she has fast-tracked herself into potential for President. I have to wonder who her "handler" is.
Not really better. The Clintons planned political careers led to substantial actual political careers, such as Governor in Bill's case and Senator in Hillary's. You say "fast-tracked", I say vacuous.

Old 22nd February 2019, 07:44 PM   #28
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Not really better. The Clintons planned political careers led to substantial actual political careers, such as Governor in Bill's case and Senator in Hillary's. You say "fast-tracked", I say vacuous.
Gabbard's been in congress for 6 years now.
Old 22nd February 2019, 07:47 PM   #29
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Gabbard's been in congress for 6 years now.
I stand corrected. Some substance at least.

Old 22nd February 2019, 09:06 PM   #30
dann
Philosopher

fair and balanced

Yes, fair and balanced!
United States and state-sponsored terrorism (Wikipedia)
(See the merits of guys like Orlando Bosch and Luis Posada Carriles, for instance.)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 09:15 PM   #31
dann
Philosopher

Bitter over Clinton's win or bitter over Clinton's way of winning? Leaked emails show how Democrats screwed Sanders (NYPost, July 22, 2016)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2019, 12:01 AM   #32
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Bitter over Clinton's win or bitter over Clinton's way of winning? Leaked emails show how Democrats screwed Sanders (NYPost, July 22, 2016)
Yeah, it was over the latter. People sued the DNC over that, and the DNC won with the argument that it's their right to rig it however they want, because it's a private organization, and their "impartiality" bylaws are not legally binding. https://observer.com/2017/05/dnc-law...rs-supporters/

Sigh.

Last edited by kellyb; 23rd February 2019 at 12:02 AM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2019, 07:00 AM   #33
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
News brought to you by a Rupert Murdock rag.
Old 23rd February 2019, 08:52 AM   #34
carlitos
"más divertido"

New York Times Opinion Editor Bari Weiss Hates Tulsi Gabbard, But Can’t Remember Why

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
I'm not clear on what these renegades are reneging on. Are they renegades as seen from within the dark web, or renegades as seen by the normal world, but orthodox in that other (possibly mythical) world?

I've no intention of digging deeper than what's on this thread, but I'm thinking they're just self-regarding dickheads of no account whatsoever.
As I wrote and you quoted, [i]no one is on the dark web. [/]What in the actual **** is wrong with people in this thread?

There are a group of people profiled in an article. You are going to judge and dismiss those people them based on a side conversation about[i] other [/]people in this thread (Jimmy Dore, whoever that is), and the edgy title that some editor wrote.

Last edited by carlitos; 23rd February 2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 25th February 2019, 09:42 AM   #35
Donal
Illuminator

I've read it, thank you. It tries to frame them as some sort of under ground, persecuted thinkers. If you want to go into the reasons this whole piece was laughably wrong, I'm pretty sure there was already a thread for that. This is about Bari "Fire Professors Who Question Isreal" Weiss vs Tulsi "Donal Is Too Lazy To Make Up a Nickname" Gabbard
Old 25th February 2019, 11:28 AM   #36
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
I've read it, thank you. It tries to frame them as some sort of under ground, persecuted thinkers. If you want to go into the reasons this whole piece was laughably wrong, I'm pretty sure there was already a thread for that. This is about Bari "Fire Professors Who Question Isreal" Weiss vs Tulsi "Donal Is Too Lazy To Make Up a Nickname" Gabbard

Cool, then maybe someone can post exactly what the "smear" was? I asked above and got bupkes in response.
Old 25th February 2019, 11:39 AM   #37
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Cool, then maybe someone can post exactly what the "smear" was? I asked above and got bupkes in response.

Here, it's even simpler than usual given that the ladies have quite rare names:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bari+tulsi+smear

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics