ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 11th February 2019, 05:46 AM   #4081
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump lied and said auto manufacturers are "already moving factories back to the United States".

Reuters reports.

Since the start of the year GM alone has closed four US factories and laid off 4,500 workers.

Instead they invested $3 BILLION in factories in Brazil.
Boy that huge corporate tax cut and those tariffs are just knocking it out of the park for the US manufacturing sector.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 06:12 AM   #4082
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

“Fact checkers have become Fake News.” @JesseBWatters So True!

No president ever worked harder than me (cleaning up the mess I inherited)!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 06:52 AM   #4083
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The Democrats do not want us to detain, or send back, criminal aliens! This is a brand new demand. Crazy!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 07:08 AM   #4084
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Trump cited the Gallup poll in his Sunday morning Tweet:
Quote:
“Gallup Poll: ‘Open Borders will potentially attract 42 million Latin Americans.’ This would be a disaster for the U.S. We need the Wall now!,” @real DonaldTrump
In reality, Trump is not citing an actual poll, he's actually quoting a statement on the Gallup CEO's blog in which Jim Clifton writes, "Gallup asked the whole population of Latin America," implying Gallup was somehow able to survey every adult in all of Latin America and 42 million said they want to come to the United States. Of course, if you follow the link on Clifton's own page you find an explanation by the Gallup organization that is significantly different.
Quote:
Based on interviews with nearly half a million adults in 152 countries between 2015 and 2017, Gallup gauged the potential net gains and losses to a country’s adult population by subtracting those who would like to move out of a country from those who would like to move into a country. Link
That's quite a bit different but Trump uses it as grist to fear monger. Open Borders would attract 42 million Latin Americans. Democrats want Open Borders. We're looking at a huge influx of Latin Americans. Trump's solution? Build the wall. Stop the Democratic Open Border plan. We don't need another 42 million Latin Americans in the U.S.

But wait, what Democrats? Which Democrats want open borders? Do they exist or is this another one of Donnie's self-serving lies? Here's what's on Bernie Sanders website:
Quote:
Senator Sanders will fight to implement a humane and secure immigration policy that will:
  • Dismantle inhumane deportation programs and detention centers;
  • Pave the way for a swift and fair legislative roadmap to citizenship for the eleven million undocumented immigrants;
  • Ensure our border remains secure while respecting local communities;
  • Regulate the future flow of immigrants by modernizing the visa system and rewriting bad trade agreements;
Link
If Bernie Sanders isn't talking about Open Borders you know the Democratic Plan Donnie keeps talking about doesn't exist, it's nothing but more propaganda.

Republican officials need to push back against all the lies but they won't. They can't. It's political suicide. They know upwards of 80% of Republican voters are willing to pretend they believe all this garbage. Not only willing to believe it, they're eager to believe it. You see it on this very message board. Truth and reality have become irrelevant to these people. Reality is whatever they want it to be. Immigration, crime, climate change, a crashing economy under Obama, the list just goes on and on.

Mass delusion. Sad!
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 07:19 AM   #4085
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
“Gallup Poll: ‘Open Borders will potentially attract 42 million Latin Americans.’ This would be a disaster for the U.S. We need the Wall now!,” @real DonaldTrump
What an idiot.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 07:33 AM   #4086
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

There's a huge difference between asking people hypotheticals and people genuinely planning something. If you asked a bunch of people if they'd like to be a rock star a large percentage would say yes. You couldn't then announce 'millions plan to quit jobs to pursue careers in music'!
Old 11th February 2019, 07:51 AM   #4087
newyorkguy
Philosopher

According to the Gallup poll/chart. "Potential Net Migration Index," the U.S. is actually way down the list of 'most desired destination.' We're 11th, behind Ireland, ahead of France and Germany.
  • Iceland 208%
  • Switzerland 187%
  • Australia 179%
  • Bhutan 162%
  • Canada 147%
  • Norway 109%
  • Sweden 98%
  • Denmark 91%
  • Saudi Arabia 90%
  • Ireland 48%
  • United States 46%
  • France 45%
  • Germany 45%
  • Austria 44%
Link
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 07:52 AM   #4088
Belz...
Fiend God

Ahead of France and Germany? I'm surprised.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:06 AM   #4089
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Does it occur her that if Der Trumpenführer's tax returns are all correct and in order, they can't be weaponaized against him?

Does it occur to her that if Der Trumpenführer does not want to have Congress see his tax returns, it almost certainly means he has something to hide?
Let me have a go at coming up with a response.

Everything President Trump did was perfectly legal. Terrifically legal. But. But many of these things are so complex that the average tax payer would not understand them and would think that the tax return is evidence of his doing immoral things. But it’s not evidence of that. Everythingwas perfectly legal. And terrifically complex. But legal.
Old 11th February 2019, 08:39 AM   #4090
Tero
Graduate Poster

Governor pulls troops off border
https://www.kios.org/post/california...der-deployment
"The border 'emergency' is a manufactured crisis," Newsom will say during his State of the State address Tuesday morning, according to advance excerpts provided by his office. "And California will not be part of this political theater."

Earlier this month, New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham ordered the majority of her state's National
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 08:50 AM   #4091
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Earlier this month, New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham ordered the majority of her state's National
...go on.

Old 11th February 2019, 08:54 AM   #4092
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
According to the Gallup poll/chart. "Potential Net Migration Index," the U.S. is actually way down the list of 'most desired destination.' We're 11th, behind Ireland, ahead of France and Germany.
  • Iceland 208%
  • Switzerland 187%
  • Australia 179%
People must love deadly animals. "Help! A crocodile has eaten my face".
Quote:
  • Bhutan 162%
Strange... its such a small country (and to be honest I didn't really know anything about it before I googled it.) It doesn't look particularly wealthy, but maybe there's just a lot of people living in adjacent countries who think "this looks better than where I live".
Quote:
  • United States 46%
I wonder how much of that figure is based on the current situation. (i.e. if they ran the same poll 5 years ago when Obama was president, more people would be interested in immigrating, and the current number is due in part to the racist and economically destructive policies of Trump. (It says the interviews were done between 2015-2017, so Trump was president for at least part of that time.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 09:00 AM   #4093
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
(United states was...) Ahead of France and Germany? I'm surprised.
It may have to do more with the quality of bordering countries.

The U.S. is right next to Mexico, a country that does have a lower per-capita GDP and a greater crime problem. This might make the U.S. more attractive as a place to live for those in Mexico (and other countries in Latin America).

France and Germany are bordering countries like Austria, Belgium and the Netherlands. Those countries also have a fairly high standard of living, and as a result someone living in one of those neighboring countries won't see much of an improvement by moving to France or Germany.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 09:04 AM   #4094
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
It may have to do more with the quality of bordering countries.

The U.S. is right next to Mexico, a country that does have a lower per-capita GDP and a greater crime problem. This might make the U.S. more attractive as a place to live for those in Mexico (and other countries in Latin America).

France and Germany are bordering countries like Austria, Belgium and the Netherlands. Those countries also have a fairly high standard of living, and as a result someone living in one of those neighboring countries won't see much of an improvement by moving to France or Germany.
Good point.

Quote:
Strange... its such a small country (and to be honest I didn't really know anything about it before I googled it.)
It has some really nice traditional architecture.

Old 11th February 2019, 10:08 AM   #4095
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The Democrats are so self righteous and ANGRY! Loosen up and have some fun. The Country is doing well!
Old 11th February 2019, 10:10 AM   #4096
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Will be heading to El Paso very soon. Big speech on Border Security and much else tonight. Tremendous crowd! See you later!
Old 11th February 2019, 10:51 AM   #4097
kmortis
Biomechanoid
Director of IDIOCY (Region 13)
Deputy Admin

Mod InfoThis thread has gotten too big, so it has been split to a new one. As always, you may freely quote from this thread in the new one. Just don't try to quote the new one here as to not violate the laws of physics, especially those governing linear time.
Posted By:kmortis
- Aberhaten's Apothegm™ - An Internet law that states that optimism is indistinguishable from sarcasm
kmortis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics