ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Kim Jong-un , US-North Korea relations

Old 3rd January 2019, 07:56 PM   #2041
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
"I got an 'A'!!!"
Trump's never earned an "A" in his life.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 08:02 PM   #2042
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
"I just got a great letter from Kim Jong Un. The few people that I've showed this letter to - they've never written letters like that. This letter is a great letter"
Quote:
Dear Donny,

Why don't you just **** off back to whatever little ****-hole town you grew up in and go suck some ****.

Love, Kim.

PS. Your denuclearisation deal sucks dead dog's balls.
Nope, POTUS's have never gotten letters like that. And Trump is sorry he never said anything like that.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 3rd January 2019 at 08:03 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 08:02 PM   #2043
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Trump's never earned an "A" in his life.
Seven letter word starts wit A ends with ole. Earned and deserved.
Old 18th January 2019, 06:04 PM   #2044
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump-Kim summit: Second meeting by end of February

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46927761
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2019, 06:46 PM   #2045
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump-Kim summit: Second meeting by end of February

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46927761
Awwww....another date. How cute.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2019, 06:24 PM   #2046
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
"Hey, Kim old buddy...you happen to have a spare room available? I may need a place to crash soon..."
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2019, 06:50 PM   #2047
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

He must know that Pelosi will find a way to humiliate him during the summit.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2019, 06:57 PM   #2048
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
He must know that Pelosi will find a way to humiliate him during the summit.
He is quite capable of humiliating himself. No assistance required.
Old 19th January 2019, 07:10 PM   #2049
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
He is quite capable of humiliating himself. No assistance required.
My exact thoughts when I read Craig 4's post.
Old 19th January 2019, 07:13 PM   #2050
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

He is being played like a large mouth bass on a line. Kim's got better advisors, and they told him to hit Trump at his weakest, so he sends in a gofer to say, "Gee, things aren't going so swell around here. Need a little photo op time with your new BFF. For just thirty boatloads of wheat, we could arrange that."

Note that there wasn't a yuge envelope this time! That's a signal to Donnie to be good, or else. (I don't suppose they left a large wooden horse in the Rose Garden?)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2019, 10:04 PM   #2051
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Direct talks have always been the ultimate quid pro quo in US-NK negoitations - and Trump is handing it out like candy without getting anything in return.
Even if Trump became Admiral-General of America tomorrow, the 'real' dictators around the world still wouldn't let him into their clubhouse because he is so lame.
Old 20th January 2019, 11:25 AM   #2052
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The Media is not giving us credit for the tremendous progress we have made with North Korea. Think of where we were at the end of the Obama Administration compared to now. Great meeting this week with top Reps. Looking forward to meeting with Chairman Kim at end of February!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 01:47 PM   #2053
Steve
Illuminator

Trump Tweets

The Media is not giving us credit for the tremendous progress we have made with North Korea. Think of where we were at the end of the Obama Administration compared to now. Great meeting this week with top Reps. Looking forward to meeting with Chairman Kim at end of February!
They used to have nukes and missiles. Now they have nukes and missiles. Tremendous progress indeed!
Old 20th January 2019, 02:08 PM   #2054
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
They used to have nukes and missiles. Now they have nukes and missiles. Tremendous progress indeed!
Hasn't Trump cancelled, US military exercises in South Korea? It has been a tremendous success - for Kim.
Old 20th January 2019, 02:12 PM   #2055
Armitage72
Master Poster

They've said they'll get rid of their nukes if the US removes all of its nukes and other military assets from the area. That's progress. Before, there were no conditions. Trump still isn't understanding what "denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula" means.

Last edited by Armitage72; 20th January 2019 at 02:14 PM.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 02:15 PM   #2056
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
They've said they'll get rid of their nukes if the US removes all of its nukes and other military assets from the area. That's progress. Before, there were no conditions. Trump still isn't understanding what "denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula" means.
What NK says is every bit as reliable as what Trump says. IOW lies are not progress.
Old 20th January 2019, 02:20 PM   #2057
Stacyhs
Philosopher

No, no, no. You've got that all wrong. They used to have nukes and missiles. NOW they have missiles and nukes. Attention to details makes all the difference.

ETA: I wonder if they'll have a slumber party, paint each other's nails, and gossip about the other world leaders?

Last edited by Stacyhs; 20th January 2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 20th January 2019, 02:59 PM   #2058
Minoosh
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

This tweet may come back to haunt him. Or, no, I'm not sure Trump is capable of regret. But I think the tweet will hurt him. Sucking up to dictators is not a great look for Trump right now.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 03:09 PM   #2059
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Hasn't Trump cancelled, US military exercises in South Korea? It has been a tremendous success - for Kim.
And Russia, who had specifically asked Trump to end the military exercises. Given Trump's general behavior related to Russia, that alone might have been the main reason for the whole farce. And China, who really didn't like them either.

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Mmm? I was under the impression that that was something of a long-term demand of theirs? Not the only one, though, and their habit of violating all the relevant agreements on a whim doesn't lead to much reason to trust anything they say.

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
This tweet may come back to haunt him. Or, no, I'm not sure Trump is capable of regret. But I think the tweet will hurt him. Sucking up to dictators is not a great look for Trump right now.
Right now? He's been doing it all along. And his supporters tend to lap it up in line with the R factor's effects.

Last edited by Aridas; 20th January 2019 at 03:11 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 03:21 PM   #2060
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
No, no, no. You've got that all wrong. They used to have nukes and missiles. NOW they have missiles and nukes. Attention to details makes all the difference.

ETA: I wonder if they'll have a slumber party, paint each other's nails, and gossip about the other world leaders?
Obviously neither one of them will let the other mess with his hair.
Old 20th January 2019, 10:22 PM   #2061
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Right now? He's been doing it all along. And his supporters tend to lap it up in line with the R factor's effects.
I think something is changing. His dealings with both Kim and Putin have drawn criticism from the entire political spectrum. Republicans are more subdued in their criticism, but it's still there. Everyone (nearly) seems to believe that in this area Trump might be harming national security. Saying he's "looking forward" to the meeting seems a bit too obsequious.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2019, 10:31 PM   #2062
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I think something is changing. His dealings with both Kim and Putin have drawn criticism from the entire political spectrum. Republicans are more subdued in their criticism, but it's still there. Everyone (nearly) seems to believe that in this area Trump might be harming national security. Saying he's "looking forward" to the meeting seems a bit too obsequious.
Hopefully, but... actions speak much louder than words.
Old 20th January 2019, 11:24 PM   #2063
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Hopefully, but... actions speak much louder than words.
Hmm. Is the U.S. technically at war with North Korea? Or was it never declared as such?

Republican senators have passed sanctions, and criticized Russia and Saudi Arabia. Maybe that was all nonbinding horse****, but they still pushed back some. Senators who have been briefed (and have paid attention) know far more than Trump does about dealing with powerful global rivals. He's bound to be seen as stubbornly ignorant at best. At worst, something far darker.
Old 21st January 2019, 11:42 AM   #2064
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Never declared as such. But we're still only in an armistice, there's never been a formal peace agreement.
Old 7th February 2019, 12:37 AM   #2065
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Well, with Donnie Johnny getting ready to stage Return to Nowhere, in Vietnam of all places, we should get ready for the big show.

1. I find it hard to imagine State or the Secret Service wanting to have Air Force One touch down in Vietnam.
2. While everyone was distracted by the announcement, his Bolton clone advisor on Korea was packing up to go see "just what Kim mean by his latest comments." They have no idea what they're going to be discussing.
3. With the China summit looming, look for Xi to make hay while the sun shines. My guess is he'll set Trump on his back foot by having Kim do a lot of posturing but agreeing to nothing, then...
4. Trump is either off to Beijing (or crosstown as China would love holding a summit in the last Asian minnow to defeat the USA) with a need to grab headlines and thus concede more to China, or he follows Bolton's advice and plays tough and has Xi cancel on him.

This is a minefield for Trump and the dunce is just stupid enough to believe he'll gain something from it.

Just to recap, does anyone think the US got anything out of the first meeting other than some sidebar stories on the butterfly preserve in Singapore. I score it Kim 2 - Trump 0. Kim got the POTUS to show up like a dutifuly puppy in Singapore and then got the Double Word Score when Trump cancelled the South Korea/Regional military exercises. Trump got? An oversized greeting card.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 12:41 AM   #2066
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Is KJU really going to go to Vietnam?
I doubt it very much.
Old 7th February 2019, 01:03 AM   #2067
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Is KJU really going to go to Vietnam?
I doubt it very much.
I can't think he'd feel any less safe in VN than in Singapore and he made that trip.

But, it should be noted that all the commentary about it being held in VN has been from the US. Has the advance team of Ivanka and the Hotel Brats been scouting locations where Donnie can build a casino? Vietnam would be delighted the one industry they're really hyped about having foreign investment in is luxury tourism.

Old 7th February 2019, 01:29 AM   #2068
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

But unlike China, VN doesn't have as much of a vested interest in keeping him safe. China is also giving up control of its client state by letting another country host the talks.
Old 7th February 2019, 02:52 AM   #2069
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Don't worry, China are cultivating new 'clients' in Africa.
Old 7th February 2019, 09:12 AM   #2070
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Just to recap, does anyone think the US got anything out of the first meeting other than some sidebar stories on the butterfly preserve in Singapore. I score it Kim 2 - Trump 0. Kim got the POTUS to show up like a dutifuly puppy in Singapore and then got the Double Word Score when Trump cancelled the South Korea/Regional military exercises. Trump got? An oversized greeting card.
... and a second date, don't forget that.
Old 9th February 2019, 02:35 AM   #2071
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

My representatives have just left North Korea after a very productive meeting and an agreed upon time and date for the second Summit with Kim Jong Un. It will take place in Hanoi, Vietnam, on February 27 & 28. I look forward to seeing Chairman Kim & advancing the cause of peace!

North Korea, under the leadership of Kim Jong Un, will become a great Economic Powerhouse. He may surprise some but he won’t surprise me, because I have gotten to know him & fully understand how capable he is. North Korea will become a different kind of Rocket - an Economic one!
Old 9th February 2019, 03:58 AM   #2072
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump tweets

My representatives have just left North Korea after a very productive meeting and an agreed upon time and date for the second Summit with Kim Jong Un. It will take place in Hanoi, Vietnam, on February 27 & 28. I look forward to seeing Chairman Kim & advancing the cause of peace!

North Korea, under the leadership of Kim Jong Un, will become a great Economic Powerhouse. He may surprise some but he wonít surprise me, because I have gotten to know him & fully understand how capable he is. North Korea will become a different kind of Rocket - an Economic one!
he truly hate South Korea and Japan, doesn't he?
Old 9th February 2019, 05:03 AM   #2073
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

North Korea, under the leadership of Kim Jong Un, will become a great Economic Powerhouse. He may surprise some but he wonít surprise me, because I have gotten to know him & fully understand how capable he is. North Korea will become a different kind of Rocket - an Economic one!

Wait a minute, under Trump's zero-sum game notions of how the economy works, who exactly does he think will be paying for NK's new "Rocket"?
Old 9th February 2019, 05:19 AM   #2074
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Wait a minute, under Trump's zero-sum game notions of how the economy works, who exactly does he think will be paying for NK's new "Rocket"?
Mexico.
Old 9th February 2019, 09:52 PM   #2075
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Ji'na?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics