ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , mental illness issues , psychiatry incidents , psychiatry issues , Trump controversies

Old 25th January 2019, 02:21 PM   #1241
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
So basically, a rehash of the OP. What do you think this is bringing to the table that hasn't been said over and over and over?
Did you watch it or are you just assuming that?
Old 25th January 2019, 03:21 PM   #1242
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Did you watch it or are you just assuming that?
I watched it. There is nothing substantially different from what was stated in the OP. It's the same person saying the same things.
Old 25th January 2019, 03:30 PM   #1243
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I'm not saying Trump's crazy, but he does like to huff a type of very strong glue while listening to one particular Patsy Cline song while wrapped up in one particular style of quilt.
Old 26th January 2019, 05:15 PM   #1244
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I'm not saying Trump's crazy, but he does like to huff a type of very strong glue while listening to one particular Patsy Cline song while wrapped up in one particular style of quilt.

Maybe that's what incites his bizarre fantasies about duct tape:
Quote:
While discussing the temporary end to the government shutdown on Friday afternoon, President Trump appeared to meander out of the Rose Garden and into a Law & Order: SVU episode. Once there, he described a horrific scene that seems to exist only in his own mind, but that he’s been repeating in speeches for weeks: There are migrant women at the border. They are being tortured. They have tape on their mouths.

Specifically: “Women are tied up, with duct tape on their faces, put in the backs of vans,” the president said, citing human traffickers who he alleges are the perpetrators of this violence against migrants.

But women are not tied up, experts have said. They do not have tape on their mouths. When Trump repeated this claim a few weeks ago, my colleague Katie Mettler contacted many authorities on trafficking who have spent time at the border, and none of them had seen or heard anything resembling the violence he described.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.9808f7bca59e
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.3b59f2a7bcde

And yet he keeps repeating this stuff over and over. At some point, delusional thinking becomes evidence of psychiatric illness.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2019, 05:28 PM   #1245
Stacyhs
Philosopher

This is from a 2008 interview Trump did with Howard Stern about an incident at a ball held at Mar-a-Lago. Disgusting:

“So what happens is, this guy falls off (the stage) right on his face, hits his head, and I thought he died. And you know what I did? I said, ‘Oh my God, that’s disgusting,’ and I turned away. I couldn’t, you know, he was right in front of me and I turned away. I didn’t want to touch him… he’s bleeding all over the place, I felt terrible. You know, beautiful marble floor, didn’t look like it. It changed color. Became very red.
And you have this poor guy, 80 years old, laying on the floor unconscious, and all the rich people are turning away. ‘Oh my God! This is terrible! This is disgusting!’ and you know, they’re turning away. Nobody wants to help the guy. His wife is screaming—she’s sitting right next to him, and she’s screaming.
What happens is, these 10 Marines from the back of the room… they come running forward, they grab him, they put the blood all over the place—it’s all over their uniforms—they’re taking it, they’re swiping [it], they ran him out, they created a stretcher. They call it a human stretcher, where they put their arms out with, like, five guys on each side.
I was saying, ‘Get that blood cleaned up! It’s disgusting!’ The next day, I forgot to call [the man] to say he’s OK. It’s just not my thing.”
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 10:09 AM   #1246
Bob001
Philosopher

Trump conducts his own White House tours, and lies continuously:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...?noredirect=on
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 12:11 PM   #1247
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
This is from a 2008 interview Trump did with Howard Stern about an incident at a ball held at Mar-a-Lago. Disgusting:

“So what happens is, this guy falls off (the stage) right on his face, hits his head, and I thought he died. And you know what I did? I said, ‘Oh my God, that’s disgusting,’ and I turned away. I couldn’t, you know, he was right in front of me and I turned away. I didn’t want to touch him… he’s bleeding all over the place, I felt terrible. You know, beautiful marble floor, didn’t look like it. It changed color. Became very red.
And you have this poor guy, 80 years old, laying on the floor unconscious, and all the rich people are turning away. ‘Oh my God! This is terrible! This is disgusting!’ and you know, they’re turning away. Nobody wants to help the guy. His wife is screaming—she’s sitting right next to him, and she’s screaming.
What happens is, these 10 Marines from the back of the room… they come running forward, they grab him, they put the blood all over the place—it’s all over their uniforms—they’re taking it, they’re swiping [it], they ran him out, they created a stretcher. They call it a human stretcher, where they put their arms out with, like, five guys on each side.
I was saying, ‘Get that blood cleaned up! It’s disgusting!’ The next day, I forgot to call [the man] to say he’s OK. It’s just not my thing.”
A telling choice of words.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 03:50 AM   #1248
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

We have an obviously delusional, willfully ignorant, self-obsessed president who says all of our intelligence agencies are "naive" about our most important security issues and need to "go back to school." And now Trump claims that they didn't really say what they clearly said, that they all really agree with him. This, right after shutting down the government for a month over an imaginary security crisis, blatantly attempting to extort money for a perfectly stupid vanity project, pointlessly causing hardship for hundreds of thousands of people and billions of dollars of economic damage, and then justifying it with "intel" he got from a fictional movie.

So, trumpers, which part of "dangerous mental illness" are you still having trouble with?
Old 1st February 2019, 08:09 AM   #1249
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
So, trumpers, which part of "dangerous mental illness" are you still having trouble with?
To be fair, that just indicates the choice is between "dangerous mental illness" and "dangerous ignorance".
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 08:31 AM   #1250
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

All non-cultists should be able to agree on this much: his mental state is dangerous, regardless of the cause.
Old 1st February 2019, 08:41 AM   #1251
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
To be fair, that just indicates the choice is between "dangerous mental illness" and "dangerous ignorance".
Not when the willful ignorance is the direct result of delusions of grandeur and infallibility.
Old 1st February 2019, 09:04 AM   #1252
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

You know how ALS became popularly known as "Lou Gehrig's Disease?"

It would be unfair to Dunning and Kruger, but I think perhaps the Dunning-Kruger Effect will suffer a similar renaming.
Old 1st February 2019, 09:13 AM   #1253
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

It's both.
Old 1st February 2019, 09:50 AM   #1254
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It's both.
I'm still open to the possibility that he's simply the stupidest man on Earth. A low probability, but it's still possible.

Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 07:18 PM   #1255
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I'm still open to the possibility that he's simply the stupidest man on Earth. A low probability, but it's still possible.

It's more likely that I'll weigh again what I did on my wedding day.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 08:26 PM   #1256
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Only if you've been ignoring the evidence.
Old 1st February 2019, 09:53 PM   #1257
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
It's more likely that I'll weigh again what I did on my wedding day.

20 years of wedded bliss and I still wear my wedding tux. Good thing I bought a timeless design.

Maybe I had it altered once or twice.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 01:14 PM   #1258
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

The little voice in Donald Trump's head is telling him that the wall is already being built using money "on hand," that some is already completed and it's "beautiful," and that soon there will be 115 miles of new wall. "People don't understand that," he said.

There is much more to this than willful ignorance and irrational thinking. He is delusional.
Old 22nd February 2019, 11:05 AM   #1259
Bob001
Philosopher

From a new interview with Bandy Lee:
Quote:
The common idea is that when someone is mentally impaired that they are somehow disabled. But that is not always the case. When a person is cognitively disabled it may empower some of the more primitive emotional forces to take over. Those primitive forces can be far more powerful than any rational decision-making.

Also:
Quote:
If Donald Trump were anyone other than the president of the United States, he would already be contained and evaluated. We actually have all the information to make that determination, because when a mental health professional is assessing dangerousness they do not depend upon a personal interview because such tests are unreliable. The person being assessed is likely to hide the very things that the mental health professional is trying to find out.

The way you assess dangerousness in real life is by consulting the people who are around a person and who have had close contact with him or her. There are now plenty of reports from those who have worked in the White House and who have had contact with Donald Trump which suggest that something is wrong with him.
https://www.salon.com/2019/02/22/yal...and-evaluated/
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:35 PM   #1260
xjx388
Philosopher

Well, Trump was not President for most of his life and he was not “contained and evaluated.” Plus, this is the same one “professional,” that we’ve been talking about all this time talking to the same outlets we’ve seen over and over.

She’s on a quixotic quest and no one (other than the faithful posters here) is paying attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:19 PM   #1261
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Well, Trump was not President for most of his life and he was not “contained and evaluated.”
So?

Plus, this is the same one “professional,” that we’ve been talking about all this time talking to the same outlets we’ve seen over and over.

She’s on a quixotic quest and no one (other than the faithful posters here) is paying attention.
We aren't talking about the one professional climate change denier here. No one is arguing Trump does not have a serious personality disorder except when this discussion began there was that one expert who claimed Trump was wasn't suffering so couldn't have a real mental disorder.

No one backs that doctor's opinion.

The evidence is overwhelming that Trump has a pathologic personality disorder. Why you continue to dig in is a mystery.
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:32 PM   #1262
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Brandy Lee
If Donald Trump were anyone other than the president of the United States, he would already be contained and evaluated.

Brandy Lee has finally managed to convince me of someone's mental illness. How can she get through daily life with this kind of misconception about how the world works? Hasn't she ever had a job or served on a committee or something?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 10:31 PM   #1263
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Brandy Lee has finally managed to convince me of someone's mental illness. How can she get through daily life with this kind of misconception about how the world works? Hasn't she ever had a job or served on a committee or something?
You understand she's a board-certified psychiatrist on the faculty of the Yale School of Medicine, right?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandy_X._Lee
https://medicine.yale.edu/psychiatry...dy_lee.profile

Last edited by Bob001; 22nd February 2019 at 10:32 PM.
Old 23rd February 2019, 10:51 AM   #1264
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
You understand she's a board-certified psychiatrist on the faculty of the Yale School of Medicine, right?
There is more than one poster here who thinks that she is still not qualified to diagnose a mental illness. Posters who have no psychiatric qualifications themselves but do know how to search Google.
Old 23rd February 2019, 12:05 PM   #1265
carlitos
"más divertido"

Donald Trump has 'dangerous mental illness', say psychiatry experts at Yale... Pt 2

And yet she is stupid and clueless enough to think that liars and narcissists somehow normally get swept up and taken into the mental health system. As I said, she sounds like a naive person who hasn’t had much life experience.
Old 23rd February 2019, 12:13 PM   #1266
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
There is more than one poster here who thinks that she is still not qualified to diagnose a mental illness. Posters who have no psychiatric qualifications themselves but do know how to search Google.

I think she’s perfectly qualified to diagnose mental illness...in her patients. People she’s never even spoken to? Not so much. The APA (both of them) agree with me and their collective qualifications trump anyone in this thread.

Old 23rd February 2019, 12:16 PM   #1267
xjx388
Philosopher

And yet she is stupid and clueless enough to think that liars and narcissists somehow normally get swept up and taken into the mental health system. As I said, she sounds like a naive person who hasn’t had much life experience.

And her assertion is refuted by Trump himself.

Old 23rd February 2019, 12:17 PM   #1268
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Board certified medical professional gets away with sexual abuse because he's a doctor and you should just accept whatever he tells you about "medicine"

Medical licenses are important, but Bandy Lee's license to practice psychiatry isn't a license for you to turn off your brain and accept her claims uncritically.

Last edited by theprestige; 23rd February 2019 at 12:21 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2019, 01:00 PM   #1269
Steve
Illuminator

I think she’s perfectly qualified to diagnose mental illness...in her patients. People she’s never even spoken to? Not so much. The APA (both of them) agree with me and their collective qualifications trump anyone in this thread.

It wasn't necessary for you to prove my point again.

Of course. Trump is the real expert here.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Board certified medical professional gets away with sexual abuse because he's a doctor and you should just accept whatever he tells you about "medicine"

Medical licenses are important, but Bandy Lee's license to practice psychiatry isn't a license for you to turn off your brain and accept her claims uncritically.
I agree. But providing evidence of a completely unrelated case adds nothing to the discussion. The sexually abusive psychiatrist was very likely completely competent to diagnose mental illness.

Anecdote: I know a professional engineer who has spent time in jail for criminal activity. He is still a very competent engineer.
Old 23rd February 2019, 01:13 PM   #1270
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I'd need to see her comments in context before making the assumption she was referring to a person with NPD being institutionalized or mandated to have treatment or anything else of that sort.

What do you think she meant?
Old 23rd February 2019, 01:17 PM   #1271
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Here you go again acting like actual people/professionals agree Trump can't be diagnosed without being a patient.

No, you read a position paper and expanded it in your mind to be what you want it to be.

It's pretty clear the majority of professionals that have weighed in either agree Trump as NPD or they agree not to say. None of them save one have suggested he doesn't have a pathologic personality disorder or that it can't be determined. Shouldn't be, maybe but can't be, no.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 23rd February 2019 at 01:19 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2019, 01:19 PM   #1272
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'd need to see her comments in context before making the assumption she was referring to a person with NPD being institutionalized or mandated to have treatment or anything else of that sort.

I think she meant, "if Donald Trump were anyone other than the president of the United States, he would already be contained and evaluated."

Because that's what she said.

theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2019, 01:20 PM   #1273
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

So?

Seriously what do you even mean here?
Old 23rd February 2019, 01:24 PM   #1274
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

So?

That Bandy Lee is a ******* idiot, obviously.

When a claim is obviously debunked by the subject of the claim, what other conclusion is there, other than the claimant is a ******* idiot?
Old 23rd February 2019, 01:25 PM   #1275
Steve
Illuminator

So?

The obvious implication is that Trump thinks he is sane therefore he is. Other opinions don't count
Old 23rd February 2019, 01:29 PM   #1276
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The obvious implication is that Trump thinks he is sane therefore he is. Other opinions don't count
Oh. That was so obviously a bizarre thing to say I didn't think that could be it.
Old 23rd February 2019, 01:30 PM   #1277
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Willie Nelson's working title for "Crazy" was "Stupid."
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2019, 01:30 PM   #1278
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
That Bandy Lee is a ******* idiot, obviously.

When a claim is obviously debunked by the subject of the claim, what other conclusion is there, other than the claimant is a ******* idiot?
This is sarcasm, right?
Old 23rd February 2019, 01:37 PM   #1279
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

: confused :
Roger that.
Old 23rd February 2019, 01:46 PM   #1280
xjx388
Philosopher

It wasn't necessary for you to prove my point again.

Of course. Trump is the real expert here.
No. Lee is supposed to be the expert here and Lee says dangerous people who aren’t President are contained and evaluated. Now, Trump was not President for about 70 years of his life and he lived a very public life. Why wasn’t he contained and evaluated before he was President?

Maybe because it was a supremely dumb statement for a mental health professional to make?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics