ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th January 2019, 10:26 PM   #1161
BadBoy
Graduate Poster

Quote:
My point is not about Clinton. I voted for her. My point is about how the Democratic Party seems to be, at times, their own worst enemy. The 2016 campaign season was just the most recent example on a national level.
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
With all due respect Elvis. I don't know what that means. Maybe you can expand on that?
Sam Harris has been talking about this. He is suggesting the left have gone a bit insane with identity politics, safe spaces and shouting down anyone who has an issue with open borders or plastering the racist label over the mouths of anyone who has an issue with some some particular religious dogmas. They appear to be shutting down free speech. It seems offending someone with an idea is now a crime. Don't misjudge me, I am left of center myself. But I keep hearing people bang on about deep state and big pharma on the left with no or little critical thinking being employed.

"All we have is conversation" Sam Harris.
Old 28th January 2019, 10:33 PM   #1162
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Compared to the proto-facism on the right, a bit overly zealous PC doesn't seem to be nearly the problem Harris, Petersen and others make it out to be.
Old 28th January 2019, 11:23 PM   #1163
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Compared to the proto-facism on the right, a bit overly zealous PC doesn't seem to be nearly the problem Harris, Petersen and others make it out to be.
I think such criticism are BS. People on the right just want to be able to spout racism and hate speech without hearing anyone call them out on it.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 11:55 PM   #1164
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by BadBoy View Post
Sam Harris has been talking about this. He is suggesting the left have gone a bit insane with identity politics, safe spaces and shouting down anyone who has an issue with open borders or plastering the racist label over the mouths of anyone who has an issue with some some particular religious dogmas. They appear to be shutting down free speech. It seems offending someone with an idea is now a crime. Don't misjudge me, I am left of center myself. But I keep hearing people bang on about deep state and big pharma on the left with no or little critical thinking being employed.

I notice you don't have any evidence for this bull ****.
Old 29th January 2019, 12:13 AM   #1165
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I gather that already there are many other ways for refugees to enter the USA besides "crossing the Rio Grande" or walking the deadly deserts. So even if the entire southern border was a 700 foot high ICE-wall guarded by proton cannons, the "illegal" refugee numbers would still be pretty much the same. They are far more inventive than Trump and his eagle-**** advisers.
Don't tell Trump about boats, he'll want to build a wall along both US coasts.
Old 29th January 2019, 12:42 AM   #1166
BadBoy
Graduate Poster

Perhaps. I'm not coming to any conclusions myself. I am particularly cautious when taking on Harris's comments, but his arguments are often very convincing.

I remember getting frustrated a few years back with many (mainly conservative) people complaining about the political correctness "brigade", with the left wing going way over the top with every mention of the word "black".

I did a bit of research and while no means comprehensive or scientific, I did wonder if the Political Correctness S@#tfest wasn't just a bunch of people overreacting and talking past each other, with the media in the middle fueling the whole storm.

I looked into a couple of incidents in the UK that got completely out of hand. One was about a Birmingham council that wanted to ban the nursery rhyme "bah bah black sheep" in schools, within a week it was all over the national newspapers. It turned out the real story started because a school in Birmingham that was showing around a council delegation and a local press contingent (probably showing off a new building or facility the council paid for, or something like that). One of the council delegation had seen a black sheep poster and half casually mentioned that he/she it was offensive to black people. The local press contingent picked up on it. By the time it reached national papers it had turned into "Council to Ban Children's Nursery Rhyme".

All the conservatives went completely nuts over the strawman. Then the loony left kicked in and tried to defend it. Before long they were all arguing over the naming of "Black Boards" etc. All completely crazy.

Of course no one who mattered wanted to ban the Rhyme or change the name of Black Board to Chalk Board, as the idea was completely insane. But it didn't stop a whole bunch of people gouging each other over it all.
Old 29th January 2019, 01:06 AM   #1167
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The issue in the US is less about PC and more about litigation - and the fact that many institutions will go out of their way to avoid it.
Old 29th January 2019, 03:10 AM   #1168
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Sharks?
Possibly with frickin' lasers?
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 04:48 AM   #1169
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

But we can't talk about the negro problem, the jewish problem or the trans problem with out being labeled as bigots!!!!

How are we supposed to solve these problems if we can't talk about them!
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 04:49 AM   #1170
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

The issue in the US is less about PC and more about litigation - and the fact that many institutions will go out of their way to avoid it.
Thankfully there are no problems of racism and bigotry at all.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 07:00 AM   #1171
Armitage72
Master Poster

I looked into a couple of incidents in the UK that got completely out of hand. One was about a Birmingham council that wanted to ban the nursery rhyme "bah bah black sheep" in schools, within a week it was all over the national newspapers. It turned out the real story started because a school in Birmingham that was showing around a council delegation and a local press contingent (probably showing off a new building or facility the council paid for, or something like that). One of the council delegation had seen a black sheep poster and half casually mentioned that he/she it was offensive to black people. The local press contingent picked up on it. By the time it reached national papers it had turned into "Council to Ban Children's Nursery Rhyme".

All the conservatives went completely nuts over the strawman. Then the loony left kicked in and tried to defend it. Before long they were all arguing over the naming of "Black Boards" etc. All completely crazy.

That reminds me of when Fox News did a story about one class in one school somewhere in the US singing a song about historically significant African-Americans, which included a verse about President Obama.

A couple hours later, one of their opinion shows talked about how outrageous it was that children were being forced to sing the praises of President Obama, comparing it to North Korea.

A couple hours after that, another news show did a story about how people were upset about children being forced to sing songs praising President Obama. They were reporting on outrage that they themselves had worked to create.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 09:24 AM   #1172
Thermal
Philosopher

Just another anecdote on how the shutdown has a domino effect:

My oldest kid is in law school, and scored a clerkship for a federal judge over the summer for credit towards her degree, but no pay. The program has been pulled, and now she gets to pay for class credit, grabbing whatever class has not been filled, and loses that excellent experience.
Old 29th January 2019, 09:34 AM   #1173
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

As someone who listens to Sam Harris's podcasts a lot, I feel you are kind of twisting what Harris says. There are people like that on the left. And I have seen this kind of behavior.

That said, I don't think he is referring to many politicians in the Democratic party. There is this tendency on both sides of the political spectrum to paint the entire opposition as the same perspective of the most radical and extreme members.
Old 29th January 2019, 09:35 AM   #1174
carlitos
"más divertido"

The podcast that Harris had with Jonathan Haidt was a real eye-opener. I haven't got his book, but it sounds interesting. "The Coddling of the American Mind."

The outrage incidents we read about on campus, and even some of the fake self-racism hoaxes make more sense when viewed through the prism that Haidt posits - being oppressed as a form of social currency.

https://samharris.org/podcasts/137-safe-space/

Separately, Harris has talked about how the ACLU old guard who defended the Nazis marching at Skokie are having ideological conflicts with the new crop of donors who believe in more enforcement against "hate speech."

Last edited by carlitos; 29th January 2019 at 09:37 AM.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 09:38 AM   #1175
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post

My oldest kid is in law school, and scored a clerkship for a federal judge over the summer for credit towards her degree, but no pay. The program has been pulled, and now she gets to pay for class credit, grabbing whatever class has not been filled, and loses that excellent experience.
Yeah but look at the positive: now Trump got his money to stop the brown people from coming into the States.

oh, wait...

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 11:15 AM   #1176
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
This is an unfortunate analogy. Israel intends to take all Palestinian territory and uses walls and free-fire zones to take it bite by bite. The US took its first bites of Mexico in the 1840's :

Bites? More like gulps. We took a third of their country ... by force of arms.

Quote:
does the GOP intend to take the rest by building a wall then moving it South step-by-step? I can't see that playing well with their voters.

The reason we didn't take even more was that, by general consensus, the rest had too many Mexicans living in it.

It doesn't seem like much has changed as far as attitudes are concerned.
Old 29th January 2019, 11:17 AM   #1177
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post

If he makes them waterproof it might be a good investment for rising sea levels.
Old 29th January 2019, 11:19 AM   #1178
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
If he makes them waterproof it might be a good investment for rising sea levels.
We should tell Trump that the wall has to be built of Stem Cells and rocks from Mars to keep the brown people out most effectively. We can fully fund a space program and a medical revolution.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 11:20 AM   #1179
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
We should tell Trump that the wall has to be built of Stem Cells and rocks from Mars to keep the brown people out most effectively. We can fully fund a space program and a medical revolution.
That might jack up the price a bit, though.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 12:33 PM   #1180
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Bites? More like gulps. We took a third of their country ... by force of arms.
And to think this might never have started if only they let the american immigrants violate their own laws about slavery.

This shows why immigrants can't be trusted, look what the Texans did to gain the right to own their slaves.
Old 29th January 2019, 01:02 PM   #1181
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

So Senator Graham has been suggesting that tying an increase to the debt ceiling in with the upcoming funding bill and border wall negotiations would be beneficial.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/29/polit...lks/index.html
An influential Republican senator is urging President Donald Trump to up the ante in talks over his border wall: To push for an increase in the national debt limit as part of a legislative package to avert another government shutdown in mid-February.

Now, in general dealing with the debt limit may make sense on a certain level. (And the Republicans think its a good negotiating tactic.) But does it really make sense for the republicans to link the topic of debt at the same time they're demanding billions to build an unnecessary wall?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 01:06 PM   #1182
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
So Senator Graham has been suggesting that tying an increase to the debt ceiling in with the upcoming funding bill and border wall negotiations would be beneficial.

An influential Republican senator is urging President Donald Trump to up the ante in talks over his border wall: To push for an increase in the national debt limit as part of a legislative package to avert another government shutdown in mid-February.

Now, in general dealing with the debt limit may make sense on a certain level. (And the Republicans think its a good negotiating tactic.) But does it really make sense for the republicans to link the topic of debt at the same time they're demanding billions to build an unnecessary wall?
Wall Street is going to love that.......

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 04:14 PM   #1183
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Dude, that sucks. Seriously.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 06:00 PM   #1184
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Dude, that sucks. Seriously.
I know people have much worse hands dealt to them, but its maddening that she is losing this opportunity over this stupid wall.
Old 29th January 2019, 06:09 PM   #1185
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I know people have much worse hands dealt to them, but its maddening that she is losing this opportunity over this stupid wall.
Nevertheless, it's a waste. She sounds capable of handling it though.
Old 29th January 2019, 06:40 PM   #1186
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Graham's loyalty to the nation and conscience are buried at Annapolis with his friend John McCain.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 06:50 PM   #1187
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Do you think they'll be held accountable for the blatant hypocrisy or something?

Their base has no clue what any of that fancy talk means. They have no interest in recalling the previous rhetoric of their party on this same topic from several years ago. If such two-faced manipulations are exposed, then they'll just say "BANGHAZZZZIIIII!"

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 29th January 2019 at 06:52 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 10:26 PM   #1188
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Republicans will go to great lengths to avoid talking about the debt ceiling - which needs to be raised by $1.5 trillion because of the Tax Cut.
Old 29th January 2019, 10:27 PM   #1189
BadBoy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
That reminds me of when Fox News did a story about one class in one school somewhere in the US singing a song about historically significant African-Americans, which included a verse about President Obama.

A couple hours later, one of their opinion shows talked about how outrageous it was that children were being forced to sing the praises of President Obama, comparing it to North Korea.

A couple hours after that, another news show did a story about how people were upset about children being forced to sing songs praising President Obama. They were reporting on outrage that they themselves had worked to create.
Yes, that's exactly it. Then people start getting annoyed that people are getting annoyed by that.

and the media love it.

But it is so easy to fall for it.
Old 29th January 2019, 10:28 PM   #1190
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Do you think they'll be held accountable for the blatant hypocrisy or something?

Their base has no clue what any of that fancy talk means. They have no interest in recalling the previous rhetoric of their party on this same topic from several years ago. If such two-faced manipulations are exposed, then they'll just say "BANGHAZZZZIIIII!"
Then they will try to claim it is a global conspiracy run from the basement of a pizza parlour in Philadelphia involving the Clintons when their dole money starts drying up.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 10:36 PM   #1191
BadBoy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
As someone who listens to Sam Harris's podcasts a lot, I feel you are kind of twisting what Harris says. There are people like that on the left. And I have seen this kind of behavior.

That said, I don't think he is referring to many politicians in the Democratic party. There is this tendency on both sides of the political spectrum to paint the entire opposition as the same perspective of the most radical and extreme members.
Fair point. Perhaps it's just fox and friends that spin it that way. I am sure I have seen various Trump supporters banging on about how Dems and Lib tards want open boarders ans "communistic" health care and to raise tax to 70% and ban Christianity in schools etc etc.

I like listening to Sam (still struggling what mindfulness actually is :/)
Old 29th January 2019, 10:38 PM   #1192
BadBoy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
The podcast that Harris had with Jonathan Haidt was a real eye-opener. I haven't got his book, but it sounds interesting. "The Coddling of the American Mind."

The outrage incidents we read about on campus, and even some of the fake self-racism hoaxes make more sense when viewed through the prism that Haidt posits - being oppressed as a form of social currency.

https://samharris.org/podcasts/137-safe-space/

Separately, Harris has talked about how the ACLU old guard who defended the Nazis marching at Skokie are having ideological conflicts with the new crop of donors who believe in more enforcement against "hate speech."
Yes, I think I did listen t that one. Must go back and listen again as I can't remember the details.
Old 29th January 2019, 11:41 PM   #1193
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
That video really doesn't do justice to the difficulties. A few weeks ago, I took a low-altitude "tour" of the whole border in Google Earth, which has very detailed topographic maps and aerial photographs. Trump has never shown any sign that he is even aware, much less concerned, about the technical difficulties in the desolate places and the legal difficulties in developed areas, but between them, I seriously doubt this wall could ever cover more than half the border. Not that it really matters, though, since even where there is a wall, it will only be a speed bump for anyone who really wants to enter the country illegally. The utter stupidity of this project is reason enough to oppose it. Even after you've made your best case for why illegal immigration is a problem, justifying a stupidly ineffective "solution" is another matter.
He actually did mention the geographic features in his rambling statement to the press* and didn't say, "so we won't be building there" but made it sound like a feature not a bug because these are "barriers" that have stood for millions of years. I'm not sure if he was getting ready to claim Godhood or hinting at not putting barriers up in those areas or what, but he did acknowledge that someone must've told him about the cliffs, escarpments, big ol' river, etc...

*(the one in which he hysterically made the mistake of referring to "Nancy Pelosi....." pause to check himself and realize he might've sounded marginally respectful.... "Who I call "Nancy"..." Trevor Noah had a blast with that part!)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 11:57 PM   #1194
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Republicans will go to great lengths to avoid talking about the debt ceiling - which needs to be raised by $1.5 trillion because of the Tax Cut.
I think Graham was just floating a trial balloon that he discussed over his dessert with Trump (he got one scoop, Donnie got two).

"Ya know... after we finish screwing this pooch, we have to get Congress to raise the debt ceiling right after? How about we blame Nancy and Chuck and sneak in an article to raise it in the Great White Elephant Funding Omnibus Act of '19.

Doesn't the House have to sign off on raising the debt ceiling. How's about they don't do it and Donnie has to send his kids door-to-door to ask Americans for their average $1500 windfall, explaining how Jared and Jared's daddy saved ten million but gee, that's already spent.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 12:04 AM   #1195
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Last year, Republicans just paused the need to raise the debt ceiling for a year.
Old 30th January 2019, 11:33 AM   #1196
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Don't worry, the money will start trickling down any day year decade century now.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 06:49 AM   #1197
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
I'm not sure I understand Trump's logic about funding for the wall.
I think I found the source of your confusion.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 09:06 AM   #1198
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

We might need this thread again pretty soon.
Old 11th February 2019, 09:08 AM   #1199
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

But... Pelosi sarcastically clapped at him! Surely Donald will be way too terrified to shut down the government a second time after suffering a defeat of that magnitude!
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 11:45 AM   #1200
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And the breakdown is because of a pretty obscure issue: how many people immigrataion services can arrest; the Dems are more or less trying to severaly limit it.
IMHO the Dems are overplaying their hand on this issue;causing a shutdown because of trying to pander to more mitlitants ideologues in your own party does not look any better on the Dems then it does on the GOP.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics